Microsoft Now Owns XBone.Com

Pages PREV 1 2

I wonder if they want the @microsoftxbone Twitter handle. Not that I know who scooped that up when totally thinking of this name totally first and I don't care what you say otherwise, or anything.

Fun thing I just discovered.

So xbone.com is bought by M$, but xbone.info totally exists. Unfortunately it isn't a parody site, but still.

But the X-Bone makes it sound sexy, which the device is obviously not. So you could say that Nelson has... major problem (where are my shades?).

Xbone is really the only viable name for the thing
They should be happy!
Whats sony's thing called?

No one knows.

Ok yeah I know you know, but I assure you, no one cares.

I vote we call it Xboner forever. Honestly I dunno why they would be so butthurt, QQ the internet doesn't like our Home Entertainment System™, time to make a press statement about how we don't like to be made fun of.

Instead of trying to fight the inevitable they should just accept the title and run with it. Like Tyrion said, wear it like armor and nobody can use it against you.

I find "Xbox one" to be more disrespectful to your product than Xbone. Maybe you shoudl try registering "Eggsbox360.com" as well, since that is widely used.
Still sad noone took this to use and isntead profiteered. this is not a new thing for domain stuff. for example our local antipiracy asociation is called LANVA. Lanva.lt however is owned by the largest torrent tracker in the country. it used to make fun of LANVA but now it jut says "LANVA" after some legal disputes.

-Dragmire-:

Remember seeing the choices they had? Apparently, that was their best selection. They haven't said what the worse options on the table were but with it's current name, it's hard to imagine.

Actually that list was the list for the original Xbox (as in, the one that came out in 2001 and not to Xbox One.

Strazdas:
I find "Xbox one" to be more disrespectful to your product than Xbone. Maybe you shoudl try registering "Eggsbox360.com" as well, since that is widely used.
Still sad noone took this to use and isntead profiteered. this is not a new thing for domain stuff. for example our local antipiracy asociation is called LANVA. Lanva.lt however is owned by the largest torrent tracker in the country. it used to make fun of LANVA but now it jut says "LANVA" after some legal disputes.

-Dragmire-:

Remember seeing the choices they had? Apparently, that was their best selection. They haven't said what the worse options on the table were but with it's current name, it's hard to imagine.

Actually that list was the list for the original Xbox (as in, the one that came out in 2001 and not to Xbox One.

Ah, you're right. My bad.

Aren't they still pulling from that list though? I recall Three Six Zero(or something similar to 360) and All in One being somewhere in the list.

Story:
Hmm...are they going to own the domain rights to Xbox 180 too?
Because that's what I like to call it at this point.
But no matter what you do though Microsoft, people are still doing to find a way to make fun of your system.

I typed in www.xbox180.com and it took me to the Xbox website, guess M$ agreed with you there....

-Dragmire-:

Aren't they still pulling from that list though? I recall Three Six Zero(or something similar to 360) and All in One being somewhere in the list.

Supposedly no. but whne that news came out some posters also noticed that it was quite eerie that they had Thee Six Zero in there what went on to become their next console.

Idiots. They should have embraced it and told their marketing department to go nuts with the word "bone" as a concept for commercials and promotional materials. Heck, a limited edition release version of XBone with actual skeletal designs would likely sell like crazy. But no, Major Nelson's feelings got hurt and MS misses another good solid opportunity...

Major Nelson considers XBone to be "disrespectful."

Firstly, that's kind of the point. Secondly, you shouldn't have picked such a shit name then. I mean you can shorten Xbox 360 to just 360, but you can't just call the Xbox one just one. "I'm just going to play on my one." I mean at best it makes no sense and at worst it sounds like I'm going to have a wank.

Disrespectful? MS, did you see the console in its original form? You have no right to be talking about anything being "disrespectful".

Oh please, Microsoft, like you have the right to bitch about people being disrespectful. By all means throw money at the internet, but don't think we've forgotten that you told us to fuck off and buy a 360 if we didn't like your new console (as if you didn't have two competitors offering next-gen consoles as well without the bullshit).

Disrespectful, you don't say. It was practically coined to be disrespectful.

erttheking:
So what? We can still register XboxOneEighty.com

What about Xboxoneeightyfour.com if they bring back the bullshit?

Major nelson translated: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaah, all the kids at school are being total meanies and they called me names and tied my shoes together and pantsed me. Waaaaaaaaaaaah."

Story:
Hmm...are they going to own the domain rights to Xbox 180 too?
Because that's what I like to call it at this point.
But no matter what you do though Microsoft, people are still doing to find a way to make fun of your system.

You may have stumbled onto something there... If we all put our heads together and came up with some inventive and derogitory names for the XB one. We could snap up the matching domain names then start peddling the new trash terms as fast and as widely as possible. If we could get enough people using them, Microsoft would want to do the same thing and all we would need to do is slap a nice big price-tag on our domains and wait for Mircosoft to come knocking with their chequebook.

What? Dont you all look at me like that, its only Microsoft! Everyone knows they eat babies!

Phrozenflame500:
Hint: It's supposed to be disrespectful

Pretty much. And they absolutely deserve it because of the way they disrespected the consumers.

Phrozenflame500:

Agreed, the whole reason it was given that name was because it was perfect to describe how the Xbox One was boned from the start. XD

Redlin5:
What Microsoft wants and the will of the internet is are entirely different things. They might want the whole XBone thing to go away but I think its going to plague the console for a long, long time after release.

Thing is, it's never gonna go away at this point really. If it does then that'd actually be surprising.

OT: Well sorry you don't like the sense of humor the internet has Mr. Nelson. But I don't see Nintendo getting upset about people making fun of the Wii U, or seeing them get upset last gen when they announced that their console's name was not going to be the Nintendo Revolution (would've been badass Nintendo! >.<) to being the Wii.

RJ 17:
I see a lot of people saying "You should have given it a better name." What's really funny is that considering all the anti-consumer things they announced the console to have and all the hate those features ginned up, I'm pretty sure that no matter what they named it the internet was destined to come up with an insulting nickname for the thing. The fact that XBone just works so well in that it's nice, neat, and concise is purely coincidence. Like I bet if they named it XBox 720 we'd have just started calling it the XBoxFuckYou or something. :P

I would've put forward the Xbox 420, 'cause those guys had to be high off their asses for months to be such boneheads.

OT:... I could not give two shits. Just like everything else XB1-related. I'm saddened that I'm going to be missing out on Sunset Overdrive, but they'd have to give me an Xbox One, free XBLA Gold forever, and pay me a monthly stipend not to sell the damn thing.

If they paid me, I'd stop calling it the Xbone!

I don't mind "Xbone" as a name (though I'll always refer to it as the Xbox One or, when it's out, the Xbox), but doing this isn't going to stop "Xbone" being used as a meme/name.

dragongit:
well, sorry you don't like the name. You shouldn't have called it Xbox one. It just nicely condenses into Xbone for anyone in passing. If you had called the infinity or something other then "one" this might have been avoided.

Not to mention, we do need some way of differentiating it from the ACTUAL Xbox One!

Alakaizer:

RJ 17:
I see a lot of people saying "You should have given it a better name." What's really funny is that considering all the anti-consumer things they announced the console to have and all the hate those features ginned up, I'm pretty sure that no matter what they named it the internet was destined to come up with an insulting nickname for the thing. The fact that XBone just works so well in that it's nice, neat, and concise is purely coincidence. Like I bet if they named it XBox 720 we'd have just started calling it the XBoxFuckYou or something. :P

I would've put forward the Xbox 420, 'cause those guys had to be high off their asses for months to be such boneheads.

Personally I still subscribe to the theory that there's some kind of conspiracy going on. SOMEONE stands to make a LOT of money if the XBone fails, and that's why they basically came out and said "Hey gamers! I hope you like das buttsecks because that's exactly what we're giving you with this console! And believe you me: we're not going to be the ones on the receiving end of this one! Ohhhhh no, I hope you like it rough because we have no intentions of bringing any Astro Glide with this one! Don't like what we're doing with it? Well fuck you! Don't have a good internet connection? Well you can fuck off too because we don't even want your business to begin with!"

Ohhhhh Don Mattrick, I kinda miss the guy. I still say that the funniest joke I've heard all year is that he went off to become the CEO of frickin' Zynga. I mean if that isn't a match made in the deepest pits of hell then I don't know what is.

Phrozenflame500:

Other hint: It's a deserved name. Deserved and intentionally disrespectful.

MeChaNiZ3D:
Disrespectful, you don't say. It was practically coined to be disrespectful.

And they handed it to us on a silver platter and announced it with silver trumpets.

Everyone knows if someone is making fun of you and you tell everyone that it is hurting your feelings that they will stop doing it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here