Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The article on the whole isn't that mental. I mean there's a little bias I think where they've listed all the killers who played games for 90% of the article while it only has a little bit where it concedes that most professional psychiatrists don't think that video games are a main cause, at most a minor one along with a whole load of other ones like drugs and child abuse.

That NRA money at work, folks.

Psychopaths also often have an obsession with books or women. What, ban books and women?

karloss01:
Should I ever become a mass murderer, I'm going to blame fox news for my actions just to see their reactions.

Well, if you do leave us a message so that a bunch of us can go on the news and give interviews with soundbites like:

"Yeah, he always was a bit quiet"
"Seemed basically normal"
"Really loved Fox News though"
"Used to post an article a day from them, believed their every word"
"Maybe it inspired him"

---------
Disclaimer so I don't get extradited or arrested:
The above is facetious. No one here is planning mass murder.
Though if they were Fox News would almost certainly be to blame.
The previous sentence is also facetious.
(Kind of).
Also that bracketed bit.
---------

Let's completely ignore the insane gun laws in our country and run a two-part series on how to scare the fuck out of our technophobe, old-man viewers. Yeah, superb idea.

OneCatch :

karloss01:
Should I ever become a mass murderer, I'm going to blame fox news for my actions just to see their reactions.

Well, if you do leave us a message so that a bunch of us can go on the news and give interviews with soundbites like:

"Yeah, he always was a bit quiet"
"Seemed basically normal"
"Really loved Fox News though"
"Used to post an article a day from them, believed their every word"
"Maybe it inspired him"

---------
Disclaimer so I don't get extradited or arrested:
The above is facetious. No one here is planning mass murder.
Though if they were Fox News would almost certainly be to blame.
The previous sentence is also facetious.
(Kind of).
Also that bracketed bit.
---------

just posting that comment made me feel like 50 armed police were going to jump through every entrance to my room and fill my comfort zones with live weapons. *sigh* the world takes everything too seriously these days.

Now I have a theory, fox news is run by a group of demons that feast on the rage of reasonable people. It just all adds up then.

Strazdas:

Actually, somone was brave enough to sue them for this, and the court decided that "news" can be subjective and depend on the journalists opinion, therefore they indeed can call it news.

I'm somewhat sure the fully story was that they claimed the specific program that was being sued wasn't a "news program" but an "entertainment program", and that apparently gives you a free pass to make up pretty much whatever you want.

Oh it's just Fox.

The 65+ demographic is going to watch a show about how videogames kills people, after their parents watched shows about how television rots your brain. It's good that the stupid generation is still being entertained by fearmongering.

Look at that, Fox News doing what they do best. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ldude893:
FOX News posted an online poll in conjunction with this; asking people whether they believe that video games cause people into committing violent crimes.

The results...wow.

They hacked the poll, it was pretty even when I voted in it.

Can every gaming website please do an article about serial killers/murderers who watched Fox News at some point?

Oh I've been saving this. Since 1.5 came out three days ago, I figure this is the PERFECT time to use this. Let us see... how does the Image tag work again?

SNIPPED DUE TO ME BEING A MORON WHO CAN'T MAKE AN IMAGE TAG.

Okay. I think I set that up right... If not, there will be an Edit below soon.

I mean SERIOUSLY! Video games don't hurt people, the Heartless do! The Nobodies do! Freaking "Killed him six times to date but he keeps getting back up" Xheanort does. But Video Games, they are perfectly fine.

Oh I do hope someone gets their Lawyer out over this.

Edit: Gorrammit Image Tags!!!.

Here's the link to the image I'm trying to pull off.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/447/031/60b.png

Blachman201:

Strazdas:

Actually, somone was brave enough to sue them for this, and the court decided that "news" can be subjective and depend on the journalists opinion, therefore they indeed can call it news.

I'm somewhat sure the fully story was that they claimed the specific program that was being sued wasn't a "news program" but an "entertainment program", and that apparently gives you a free pass to make up pretty much whatever you want.

Thats... possible. but it sort of made precedent of "fox can talk whatever they want" and while there were other contestants in court they never went anywhere.

AndrewJamesDrake:
Oh I've been saving this. Since 1.5 came out three days ago, I figure this is the PERFECT time to use this. Let us see... how does the Image tag work again?

I mean SERIOUSLY! Video games don't hurt people, the Heartless do! The Nobodies do! Freaking "Killed him six times to date but he keeps getting back up" Xheanort does. But Video Games, they are perfectly fine.

use:
[ img]UrlToYourImageHere[/ img]
without the spaces before img.

That work? Yeah it worked.

My post above makes more sense now. Anyway,

Strazdas:

AndrewJamesDrake:

use:
[ img]UrlToYourImageHere[/ img]
without the spaces before img.

Thanks dude! Now I can apply memes. And thus begins the end times.

This again ? really ? this is getting so old now I cant be bothered. Its so stupid, classic fox/Merica. They really running outta ideas ? gotta beat the crap outta this. With how popular BF3 and CoD has been in recent years if we apply this dumbass logic everyone is a killer just waiting to pop

FoxHerpDerpNews:
Three more recent killers... all were active video game players.

They were all fairly active breathers, too. Wait, everyone breathes. WE ARE ALL MASS MURDERERS. NOOOOOOOOOOO, THE CHILDREEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN!

AndrewJamesDrake:
-snip-

If you want to directly embed an image into the post, just do this (without the spaces in between every character):

[ i m g s r c = "*insert URL here*" ]

In the actual thing, there is a space between img and src.

Tanis:
Fox 'News':
The Spin Starts Here.

Fox News:
We Spin harder
than the Large Hadron Collider

Ragsnstitches:
One would think Fox would be a good standard to measure stupidity, but I think doing so lowers the bar too much.

Fox is perfect as a stupidity measurement system. Anybody who is more stupid than them is definitely an idiot (remember that Killology guy?).

That said, FUCK FOX NEWS. There, I said it. I hate them even more than I do ProSiebenSat1 (and those are already rock bottom from my point of view, makes me think if Fox is trying to tunnel right to the other side of Earth or something).

Griffolion:

AndrewJamesDrake:
-snip-

If you want to directly embed an image into the post, just do this (without the spaces in between every character):

Intersting piece of BBCode. I only know about [ img ] Image URL [ / img ] tags (again, without the spaces).

nuba km:
Now I have a theory, fox news is run by a group of demons that feast on the rage of reasonable people. It just all adds up then.

I think it's a kitsune actively working to harvest frothing malice of the ill-informed.

For what it's worth, including doctors is admirable, even if they directly quote one of them as: "...But this much is certain: We need to definitely be studying this more before the violent video games run amok." Now if only the doctors were experts in this field...

I love Fox News, It's hilarious =D

Fox is just laughable...as are all these things.

Doesn't matter anyway as...just like tobacco companies, the evil video-game corporations bring too much moneys to economies for anyone to seriously consider banning them. Maybe just ban playing in a public place...even on your mobile phones!!! You cant fool me that they aren't little death trainers and that you're just txting!!

*sigh* Well, i best return to my free running killing spree with super-slow motion death sequences, as my internet connection's getting weak

Gearhead mk2:

TheScottishMexican42:
I actually wrote an essay on why violent video games are not harmful for children for school. Got an A for it. I think I still have it saved as well.

Really? I'd like to see that, if it's ok to share it.

OT: Can Fox News-no, scratch that, the entire Fox network-just be shut down already? I legitimately don't understand why they're still around.

Sure thing. It's hardly a masterpiece, but here it is anyway.

WALL OF TEXT IN BOUND

Zachary Amaranth:
Do you know how hard it is to type this message with my nose on a Galaxy S4?

I imagine it'd be harder with the Galaxy S4 in your nose...

Adam Jensen:
Let's not actually engage in a meaningful rebuttal of this meaningless crap.

In all fairness, does the rebuttal really have any meaning when the target audience completely and willfully ignores it?

OT: Well, at least I got a laugh out of this. You know, one of those pitying laughs you give your friend when you're watching them play a game and they keep failing at something you did on the first try. You know they're really struggling, but you just can't help it and you really wish you could just yank the controller right out of their hands and take over for them.

Matthi205:

Ragsnstitches:
One would think Fox would be a good standard to measure stupidity, but I think doing so lowers the bar too much.

Fox is perfect as a stupidity measurement system. Anybody who is more stupid than them is definitely an idiot (remember that Killology guy?).

That said, FUCK FOX NEWS. There, I said it. I hate them even more than I do ProSiebenSat1 (and those are already rock bottom from my point of view, makes me think if Fox is trying to tunnel right to the other side of Earth or something).

Griffolion:

AndrewJamesDrake:
-snip-

Intersting piece of BBCode. I only know about [ img ] Image URL [ / img ] tags (again, without the spaces).

imgsrc is usually what HTML and a few other languages use, but its more of a programming than BB code. didnt knew it worked on this forum, doesnt in most. Lets try it out with some cute animal pictures.
Yeah, appears to work, but you need space between img and src.....

Don't ask how, but this gave me a brilliant idea:

Someone should make a satirical management sim where you run a parody version of Fox News. I think that might make a pretty neat game with the right mechanics.

Someone call that guy who made Papers Please. He made stamping passports engaging, I'm sure he could do this.

undeadsuitor:
"Well, we lost a war with Syria, let's start one with videogames" -Fox News

And not a single frak was given.

Korihor:
Both my brother and I played violent video games a a kid.
We were also being subjected to horrific abuse by my father.
Neither my brother or I have turned out to be violent or lawbreakers.
Video games offered an escape from the abuse.
If my brother and I had not had an escape such as video games from the abuse neither one of us would have turned out so well.

Try telling that to the idiots at Faux News.

Fox News, making sure the braindead stay braindead since 1999!

But mass murders have been occurring for all recorded history, not only since video games have existed. Which make me wonder..

Who traveled back in time and gave video games to the hundreds of mass murders from centuries ago?! ERMAGERD!!

Chimpzy:
Don't ask how, but this gave me a brilliant idea:

Someone should make a satirical management sim where you run a parody version of Fox News. I think that might make a pretty neat game with the right mechanics.

Someone call that guy who made Papers Please. He made stamping passports engaging, I'm sure he could do this.

Brilliant! XD And Yahtzee could review it. It could be called Faux News.

*ponders the lengths he goes to to avoid cleaning in real life*
*ponders the many hours he has spent organizing game inventories*

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this game thing doesn't really stick.

IanDavis:
However, the article does end with Dr. Doug Gentile, who's quoted as being rather reasonable. "I think it's the wrong question -- whether there is a link between mass shootings and violent video game play... I understand people want to look for a culprit, but the truth of the matter is that there is never one cause." Clearly, Dr. Gentile isn't thinking about the children!

This is such an excellent clever way to end it. Now Fox News can deny any actual allegations that they're pushing an agenda. "But we put a disclaimer at the end. This is all a what if scenario! ;)"

To be fair all Fox News viewers already believe this shit and people who don't watch Fox News know they spew shit at a rate that would dwarf any sewer outlet pipe. This doesn't concern me.

Guess they have to find something to blame for people killing roomfuls of people with guns instead of easy access to guns.
Not saying easy access to guns causes mass murder.
But i would be willing to go so far as to say that it does not hinder it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here