World of Warcraft's Most Popular Names Include Arthas, Sephiroth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

World of Warcraft's Most Popular Names Include Arthas, Sephiroth

World of Warcraft Siege of Orgrimmar Raid

An analysis of 120,000 World of Warcraft player names across multiple realms reveals how creatively dead we all are.

Researchers Christian Thurau and Anders Drachen at the Copenhagen Business School have published an in-depth analysis of 120,000 World of Warcraft player names in order to help establish how players identify themselves online.

If you think you've seen an inordinate amount of Blood Elves named some variation of "Sephiroth," don't worry, you're not going crazy, as the name is one of the most popular on EU realms. When we get down to specific races and classes, we see that "Arthas" is the most popular name for Human characters, while the druids of World of Warcraft officially win the "creativity of a rock" award, as the most popular druid player name is simply "druid".

Overall, "Nemesis" is the most popular name for players on EU realms, while US players prefer "Athena". Other names in the top ten include "Death", "Nightmare", "Pain", and "Chaos". If you're thinking that these all sound pretty macabre, you'd be right, as Thurau and Drachen discovered that "negative" names outnumbered "positive" names six-to-one.

Other data discovered by the pair was that RP servers were more likely to have unique player names, while US realms were proven to be ever so slightly more creative than EU counterparts, containing a slightly higher percentage of unique names. There also seems to be a separation in character names between the more human-like (Human, Blood Elf, Night Elf, Draenei) and less human-like ("bestial")/human-proportioned (Troll, Undead, Orc, Tauren, Dwarf, Gnome) races.

To prove that the internet just won't let a joke die, Thurau and Drachen discovered 131 counts of some variation on "Chuck Norris". *sigh*.

Soruce: Naming Virtual Identities: Patterns and Inspirations for Character Names in World of Warcraft

Athena? That's a big surprise. Is there a big cultural show/book in the US that I don't know about? It seems weird that they'd settle on that one goddess (especially since it's a single-gender female name)

EDIT:

Of the 39 references to fantasy literature, only
four do not stem from the works of J. R. R. Tolkien.

=D You can say that about fantasy literature in general

Not surprising, even I fell into that "Gotta have an edgy and dark name" camp. Glad I moved past that.

No this reveals that the masses are creatively dead, also that most create 10+ characters and stop giving a shit what they are called... that's how it went for me anyway.

I stopped caring about my characters names after my hunter, Chumshot, got flagged for rename twice.

Don't play WoW, but in Guild Wars there are a half a million purposefully misspelled naruto references.

Can't say I am much better, as I don't particularly give a flying fortress about RP in online games so I was pwning newblets with my elementalist 'Full Frontal Nudity' and my male mesmer 'Queen Of Disco'

No mention of all the frost mages calling themselves Frostitute?

My gnome mage was called Shoebite. Sometimes I miss that little guy.

I never really got in to WoW, but the one character I made to try it out was a tauren druid called Oak Hoof. Probably a pretty common tauren/druid name.

In FFXIV: ARR, I have a female Hellsguard dragoon called Scarlet Halberd, and a female dunesfolk arcanist called Luzali Zali.

I just like to keep my character names within the confines of each race's naming structure, so I take my time to think of something. Same goes for the Elder Scrolls games, where the names are completely meaningless. I have 20 Skyrim characters with unique, realistic-in-world names. A little overboard, I know, I just really like creating characters.

As someone who always goes for RP-compatible names, I feel very lonely.

"Sephiroth" is no surprise to me, those people most likely played FF7.

And how many of those names are "xarthasdkswe"? I always used to die a little inside every time I saw one.

My main, huntress, "Eleutheria" has 84 more namesakes in the EU realms, not quite as original as I'd hoped I'd be.
My least original name is my druid "Athanasios", one of 129.

My most original character name is my Monk "Elunike" with only one namesake.

I've yet to come up with a truly original name apparently.

Blood Elves have a hairstyle that perfectly mimics Sephiroth's and they ride around on giant chickens. WHAT DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL CALL THEM

The negative names aren't a surprise. This is a game focused on combat, competition and conflict. You're not gonna name your character Happiness. Plus, Death Knight is a playable class.

Huh. My least original characters are Manwolfcat (34 - though I am the only rogue with that name) Mancatpig (10 - surprising, really) Barthalius (9) and Gearbreaker (104 - god dammit). Everyone else I have only shares their names with the multitude of alts I made on different servers when I first started WoW and stupidly thought 'Yeah, I can make 50 characters!'.

But hey, my main's an original name, so that makes me happy. Raemoras ol' pal, we don't qualify for the 'Creativity of a rock' award! Success!

I always named my characters after sweets. Had a bunch of Cookies, Candies, Marzipans. And one Migraine. Better than Llegollass1066.

I was pretty surprised there was a big bunch of "Asharian" s, 48. I'm pretty sure I never heard that before. Sure it sounds kinda fantasy like so it's bound to come up but the volume suprised me. But what do you expect with 10 million accounts.

Elunazar, my primary alt, was pretty rare. Me and 1 other guy

Magnarias, the dreanie mage is apparantly also 1 of 2.

Sharakesh the undead rogue has 3 buddies

The rest is either common or a mule.

Shanicus:

But hey, my main's an original name, so that makes me happy. Raemoras ol' pal, we don't qualify for the 'Creativity of a rock' award! Success!

Thats a pretty awesome name. Was that a Warlock, sounds warlocky to me.

Heh...I kinda fall on both ends of that line between "Oooh, points for creativity" and "you're just being lazy".
For every Joombah (my troll hunter) and Quesel (my blood elf mage) that I had, I had at least one Charsi (who also happened to be a blacksmith)

I kinda miss that batch of characters...

My names are super creative and inspiring to others.

One time my username was x0xSlytherinx0X on a forum, yeah how embarrassing .

BrotherRool:
Athena? That's a big surprise. Is there a big cultural show/book in the US that I don't know about? It seems weird that they'd settle on that one goddess

It's actually the name of a really famous player, Athene (commonly misspelled/mistyped Athena, who he probably named himself after). He's had massive streams, set numerous world first leveling records, was in a slew of good raiding and PvP guilds. I assume the people named Athena are either trolling him by using the name ironically or naming themselves in honor of him (considering how big of a douchebag he is, I'm leaning more towards the former).

Back in my days with WoW, I never bothered with coming up with a name on my own. Instead I'd just click on the built-in random name generator until I found one that I liked. That's how I ended up with a Warlock named "Rope", a Mage named "Chair", a Paladin named "Walk", a Priest named "Food" (think that would have been more appropriate for my mage *insert drum rimshot* :P), and various other classes with various other random words as their names. Seriously, I'd say at least 10% of the random name generator is just filled with random words.

All my characters except one, my alliance worgen, had names pulled either from other games, books, or movies. My worgen was named "Masticator", cuz he's a wolf, and wolves chew on things. Of course, many dimwitted players thought it to mean that other thing though I was never reported for it that I'm aware of.

I recently made a new character and came across a bastion of creativity going by the name of "Pandahunterr".

Eh, in MMOs I usually follow the same name pattern:

First Character/Main: Greek Bronze-age history reference, sometimes messing with the transliteration (Aekhillus, Hector, Staphylus, etc)
Primary Alt: Basic European mythological reference (Vidar, Balder, etc, sometimes something smartass like naming a 'dark elf' character Ivaldi, etc)
Everything else: Whatever wasn't already taken (Character with max heighth/width in Aion named "Big McLargeHuge" is still one of my favorites. Rogue, obviously.)

What I'm getting at here is who cares if your name is creative? As long as it doesn't cause people to mess you up with someone else you can theme-name all you like.

Remus:
My worgen was named "Masticator", cuz he's a wolf, and wolves chew on things.

Uh... carnivore biology 101 called, it says it has some bad news for you about wolves.

Twenty Ninjas:
Blood Elves have a hairstyle that perfectly mimics Sephiroth's and they ride around on giant chickens. WHAT DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL CALL THEM

The negative names aren't a surprise. This is a game focused on combat, competition and conflict. You're not gonna name your character Happiness. Plus, Death Knight is a playable class.

I miss my Goblin Death Knight Cottonball :(

Needs more grimdark if I'll be honest.

Not surprised though, although I would have thought Arthas would go down in popularity after that god awful cutscene after you fight him.

My warrior only has 1 clone, and it seems to be an unplayed toon. Yay for Dweera being unique! And my huntar wins for most unique name on wow with no clones, CREEPYMUFF!

For a while my druid was called "Raininspain".

And my rogue, having had three different names on three different realms, has always had a unique name.

The way I see it, if your name is Arthas, then it's a kind of a prestige thing because you were there at the launch of the game/server and were lucky enough to snag the name. But if your name is Arthås, then you are just plain unoriginal.

I play Guild Wars 2 and there is a stunning popularity of names inspired by Melisandre and Daenerys from Game of Thrones. Hardly any Sephiroths or Legolases.

In my experience it was always shamans that had their class in their name. Not just the word 'shaman' but the word would be in there.

When I played this game all I played were zombies, and all my names were horrible puns like Gut Wrencher.

About the name Sephiroth being popular, that's really no surprise. Nearly half the population of WoW these days is female, half my guild and regular raid group are female. And we all know just how much they love Sephiroth.

Personally, when I play characters in games I want them to be MY characters. Not some sorry second rate wannabe of someone else's character. I never understood why people go to great lengths to give their character a name used by so many. Often to the point of spelling it horribly wrong and using special characters to do so.

Almost every character I've ever made has had a name I made up for them that felt appropriate for who and what they are.

I am all for people using whacky names if they are funny and creative. Some started off that way but then you get all the posers stealing it for themselves later on until the name is looked at negatively.

The single best creative name I recall from World of WarCraft was an Orc Shaman as early as vanilla WoW named "OprahWindfury". Hilarious, I loved that one.

I had a troll shaman named ZiggyMarley until Blizzard changed it.

My WoW name is the same as my Escapist name. I took the name from my friend. He used it for the antagonist for the novel he's writing. I was a warlock :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here