Bioware: Next Mass Effect on "The Right Track"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

As long as they do not blow the budget on shitty multilayer! then I am game.

Sidney Buit:

Icehearted:
I think it's cute that people think BioWare is still a company and not a corpse stuck on the end of one of EA's tentacles like some gruesome puppet.

I think its cute that people keep thinking EA is some kind of monolithic monster that devours souls.

EA owned Bioware while it released four of my favorite games of all time: Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3; and Dragon Age: Origins (& Awakening, so 4.5 games). Of those, EA owned them during the development of all but 1, the weakest of the 4, Mass Effect 1.

I think assumptions aren't cute, so I won't assume you assumed what I was thinking. I do, however, think it's cute when people copy what I write and change a few words as a counterpoint. Just look at all this cuteness!

Of course, cutest of all is the putting of words into mouths. Even cuter when erroneous facts are used to make a counterpoint, and just so terribly cute when these fictitious points only support a subjective argument rather than a factual one; ergo I made this up and it supports my opinion and is by virtue of this a truth.

Cuteness aside, BioWare is a collection of IPs and a brand owned by EA, run by EA, they are in fact EA. Bullfrog went through this once, as did Origin. EA bought Origin and made a RPG into an action game, basically trying to turn something like Bauldur's Gate into something more like Mario Bros. Except with Mass Effect they took a RPG and made it into a 3RD person shooter. Some loved it more than others, but this was reflective of the new direction they call "broader appeal" and others call homogenization, like in the link below. C'est la vie.

Then there's this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5946-Why-Do-People-Hate-EA

Wish I could find it, but he's also said pretty much what I did about BioWare, that it's not BioWare except in name only but is otherwise EA.

Hugs-n-Stuff.
Your pal,
Icehearted

well, if they really take their time and EA is not forcing them to rush it, it might be better. at least EA did show some improvement lately.
but im still very skeptical about it. i still love the franchise as such and the extended ending made me play it again with my other characters but well, lets see.

undeadsuitor:

Silentpony:
snip

oh boy

so, a shitty last 5 minutes completely tainted an entire universe and series forever and ever and ever and ever? Talk about over-reacting.

Like...do you ever go back and play ME1 or 2? (I'm guessing no because the sheer sight of the game boxes makes you vomit blood because they wrote a weak ending, but for the sake of a discussion lets assume you like to replay the old games for nostalgia's sake) How can you stomach finding Saren when you know it's just going to end in ME3? the entire franchise is ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuined every story is rruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuined nothing matters cause its ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuined

You can have stories set in the same universe, prior to any big world ending plot. And you don't need to one up any action quota or have any "sequel escalation", go small and focus on characters. Shit, wasn't that the point of Mass Effect 2? That entire game was about Shepard pretty much ignoring the reapers to find some aliens that kidnapped an inconsequential number of humans. But it worked, because the characters were incredibly well rounded and developed, and pretty much carried the game on their backs till the end.

Do that again.

Go small. Do something on Omega. Make a game set in the years Shepard disappeared or something.

seriously, give me a character focused narrative thats set in the mass effect universe and I will eat that up

I couldn't give two shits if the trilogy ended on a whimper.

It's a lot more than the last five minutes. The entire game past the Quarian/geth action is dreadful (so the entire last third, essentially).

And, really, the game is full of fundamental flaws in the first 2/3rds that make themselves known only at the end. Saved the quarians? 2 seconds of cutscene. Saved the geth? 2 seconds of cutscene. Saved the geth primes? NO FUCKING DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER.

Gained the undying loyalty of your crew and saved them all in ME2? thats nice, here's a boring as shit musclehead and a stupid robot character. Dealing with change is hard!

None of your choices in the game - and hence the series as a whole - actually impact the ending one fucking bit. Yes, the last five minutes of a game can ruin the whole series, or at least severely taint it.

edit: Also how the fuck is "Executive in charge of making people buy something says it is cool" news? Come on, escapist.

So the hype begins two or three years before the release? Good job guys! They should create new ip and abandon ME in some dark corner, enough with stupid sequels, prequels, spin-offs! I think many of us had enough and want something fresh.

I want to be optimistic, I really do. I loved mass effect, but the more I think about it, the more I realise I loved mass effect 1. I just don't have a huge amount of faith in bioware anymore.

Bioware will fail to deliver. They just don't have the magic anymore. Yes, I'm a pessimist. Don't mind this post, it's just based on them trying to probably be even more commercial while appealing to a broader audience and all that stupid sh-t.

Silentpony:

Yes! Lets redo what they did in KOTOR 2 and Dragon Age 2! Because it worked so f-ing well in those games, right? Just keep riding the same damn horse until its well beyond the point of dead. KOTOR 2 was terrible by every imaginable, measurable definition. That's why you're not getting a KOTOR 3 - except for a...what was it again...and MMORPG? No that can't be right -that'd validate my earlier point, so lets just ignore it. We can always go with DA2, a game so universally panned they made ME2 and ME3 to bleach the memories of Dragon's Age from our minds and risk a completely unrelated relaunch of the franchise. If you think those are SMART decisions, then by all means, have Bioware make a new Mass Effect game set in downtown Citadel with a few patched together characters with implied depth and meaning. I'm sure it wont be seen as a cheap knock off and desperate attempt to cash in on fan's love and loyalty. Not at all. Nothing Bioware has done would ever, EVER even hint that something like that could happen.

You're good to go. Hope it pays off mate, ;)

*Raises eyebrow*

KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords was a friggen awesome game, probably played it more than I did the first one. Its only problems can be directly pointed to the fact that it was made by Obsidian. It had bugs (so many bugs), and it had a pretty crap ending. The rest was great!

And Dragon Age 2? How did a single sequel count as "riding a horse beyond the point of death"? My problems with it weren't even remotely related to the fact that it was set in Thedas. Its problems were its crap combat mechanics and short development schedule (which meant it couldn't have the number of unique assets it should've). I can't speak about its story, because the former two meant I didn't get much past the "become rich" cutscene.

I think you just have a problem with sequels. I don't. You have the option to -NOT- buy a sequel, I don't have the opportunity to make one magically appear if they don't make it. So, yeah, I want them to make as many sequels as they can get away with whilst they're still fun.

I don't think they even entered production yet. The Lead Writer and Lead Gameplay Designer positions are still open and Yannik Roy indicated three month ago that they are still in the concept phase.
They might have finished porting a lot of the Mass Effect assets (like the Citadel) from the Unreal Engine 3 to Frostbite 3 and created new ones they intend to use.

People within the dev team talking up their product? Well that MUST be a sure sign of quality! After all, someone must have thought multicoloured endings were a brilliant idea at the time of creation.

Without being the whiny little cry baby who didn't get the ending he wanted, I really am done with Mass Effect. I think a trilogy is more than enough for pretty much any franchise. After that the well of innovation seems to run dry. See pretty much any game with a 4 in its name.

Plus, it'll most likely be on the Xbone, a console I won't be buying.

Developers of a game say their game is awesome? well then it must be good /sarcasm
Im still very bitter over the complete lies that they made surrounding the ME3 ending (and the fact their last 3 games they made were shit imo) so forgive me if i dont take their word for it.

Capha- gee whiz. seriously you always know how to finish my comments

As done as I am with Mass Effect, I must admit that I am curious to see what Bioware is going to do with this next game. If only to see how they possibly can move past Walters and Hudson's burning of the franchise. I guessing there will be a liberal use of retcons and hand waves.

I've been rather hyped about this for quite a while.
I fall into the category of hating the pre-EC endings of ME3, but absolutely loving the EC endings. I also really liked the overall game too.
Seeing as the two main reasons for the "i love faith in bioware" (DA2, ME3) were games I actually liked and enjoyed to a rather extensive degree, and based on what we've seen of DA:I, I'm rather confident that this will turn out quite nicely.

Ponyholder:
Never understood the massive hate over an ending like ME3 received. Looking forward to see what they do with the series from here on out.

Dragonbums:
That's exactly what they said for Mass Effect 3.

Biggest waste of $60.00 I ever spent.

I pre-ordered the special edition, and I live in Australia. Also, I have no disposable income and have no career or employment prospects.

Please, continue to complain about your loss of $60.

(Okay, I speak in jest. But I think after the backlash from ME3, Bioware and especially EA are going to need to sit down, have a big think, and come up with an original IP or two before going back to Mass Effect. Which is exactly what they aren't doing. Yay.)

People are still complaining about the ending? 99% of the game was great, only the last 5 minutes were mediocre. It is a bit cliche to say but: The journey was more important than the ending in Mass Effect's case, the main story was nothing special but the atmosphere and characters were all excellent... Except for Kai Leng, fuck Kai Leng.

StewShearer:
Mass Effect 3 as a whole was an excellent game, but many still left the experience feeling burned on account of its controversial ending.

Nope. The ending is a bit stupid, but it's not a big deal. The game as a whole sucked ass when compared to either of it's predecessors and was at best a below-mediocre AAA title that no one would've paid attention to if it wasn't the third game in the series.

*Reads, sees plenty of ME3 ending rage*

Crying out loud, man. The game had a bad ending, lots of them do. GET OVER IT.

Citadel dlc really saved the game for me which made the extended ending quite passable.

Don't get me wrong I still hate them a bit for doing it, but they have a chance to redeem themselves with DAI. Regarding the Mass Effect game I am looking forward to see where they will set it, pre or post Reaper war.

Estelindis:
Before Mass Effect 3 was released, Casey Hudson said:

It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

Exactly the opposite of what Casey Hudson said turned out to be the case. There are plenty of other quotes like this, where devs claimed things about ME3 that they had to know were untrue, but I can't link you to the long compilation thread of them since Bioware deleted it from their forums (though I have a saved copy of it on my HDD). Anyway, so many promises were broken by the ME3 ending, and then protected under the aegis of "artistic integrity" (as opposed to the regular kind of integrity where you don't lie about your products), that I won't buy into the dev hype in this instance. I'll wait for user reviews of the next Mass Effect game to come out before I remotely consider buying it.

I must concur with my fellow user's statement. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The past five years have taught me painful lessons about trusting any developer, no matter their pedigree. I never thought the day Bioware and Blizzard would be cast under the light of suspicion would come. But it has come.

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:

Silentpony:
snip

Snip

Not really? I replay ME2 all the time because a. I want to do all the romance options and b. because I'm fully aware its one of my favorite if not my absolute favorite game of all time. I know games don't get much better than this. But here's the thing. It already exists and is part of a greater universe. Why remake it? Why do another game aping to have the same appeal without the foundation(me1) and the conclusion(me3). the mass effect series works because very specifically its part of something greater than any one games. through all of me2 shepard never misses a beat to say the reapers are and always will be the ultimate threat. Ultimate being a very literal word, mind. Anything as ultimate and monumental as the reapers can't be followed up by just crime fighting in neo space tokyo. It really leaves the gamer with a sense of futility and deminsihment. they tried that in DA2 and it was terrible. I know of only one person who actually liked that game - not more than the original, he just saw it as something more than terrible.

I really, REALLY don't want to see that happen to Mass Effect.

But how can you play Mass Effect 2 knowing that the events and ending of Mass Effect 3 will happen. The ending tainted the entire series! You know what the "ultimate threat" is in ME3, so how can 2 have the same impact? Itsruuuuuuuuuuuuuuined

undeadsuitor:

Silentpony:

undeadsuitor:
[quote="Silentpony" post="7.828310.20152650"]snip

Snip

But how can you play Mass Effect 2 knowing that the events and ending of Mass Effect 3 will happen. The ending tainted the entire series! You know what the "ultimate threat" is in ME3, so how can 2 have the same impact? Itsruuuuuuuuuuuuuuined

Oh! OH! Oh see you misunderstood. My point is not that the overall majority of ME3 is terrible, just the ending. Like the last...3 minutes? Maybe 4? I think there may have been a small controversy over it when it first came out, but don't quote me. I'll have to double check. And I think they released a patch that added a few things but overall didn't fix the clusterfuck of an ending.
It would be very very VERY difficult to keep any sequel in canon with all the varying endings. They'd almost have to ignore the first three games, which would defeat the purpose of setting it in the ME world. And if they're just going to completely ignore all the established characters/locations/races/themes/events, again might as well make a new IP. And yes I am saying that if they make another and do not reference a single thing for the first three, fans will be pissed.

I didn't think 15 minutes of bad ending could ruin 300 hours of gameplay but it did.
It's going to be very hard for me to re-invest in a universe and characters I was previously invested in but fell out with.
Kind of like making up after a bad breakup and getting back together.
But as much as you like her in the back of your mind you still know she fucked your brother.

So after reading the article, my reaction is probably very similar to others based on what I've read on this thread...

BioWare: "The new Mass Effect is looking fantastic!"
Me: "Great. So... can we maybe see something? Some screenshots, a teaser video, anything?"
BioWare: "Well, of course not."
Me: "...Why?"
BioWare: "'Cause."
Me: "Right. Well then, I still don't care about it. Let me know when you've got something with substance."

Because honestly, ME3's ending didn't ruin the franchise. The development of ME2 did it long before that.

ME3 a great game? not really. It was a shitty copy of Gears Of War, 3rd person duck and cover shooter, with giant plot holes and lots of retcon.

Those Bioware rose tinted glasses must be nice :P

Considering that Dragon Age 3 is coming out Fall next year, I wouldn't expect to see anything about the next Mass Effect until 2105.

But do I get to choose whether I want to lose my shit in a white toilet, a blue toilet, or a green toilet?

Hmm, well, aside from being unwilling to listen to members of the development team slapping themselves on the back about their own work...they haven't actually told us ANYTHING about the game itself. So I'm sorry if I happen to be merely rolling my eyes and thinking back to the last time Bioware team members raved about their own product...

...hmm...ME3 ending it was...

Yeah...

Forgive me for not caring about what they have to say.

I'll only buy the next mass effect if it acknowledges the Indoctrination Theory as canon. Or if you play as Marauder Shields in his retelling of ME3's events.

Pohaturon:
I've been rather hyped about this for quite a while.
I fall into the category of hating the pre-EC endings of ME3, but absolutely loving the EC endings. I also really liked the overall game too.
Seeing as the two main reasons for the "i love faith in bioware" (DA2, ME3) were games I actually liked and enjoyed to a rather extensive degree, and based on what we've seen of DA:I, I'm rather confident that this will turn out quite nicely.

I... I thought I was the only one... I'm not alone any more!

Anyhoo... I am actually quite excited to see more of the ME universe, and, since Bioware still has my faith, I look forward to seeing what the team has in store for it next.

fix-the-spade:
So, it'll have at least one kind of tank in it, real exploration, meaningful sidequests, procedurally generated landscapes and multiple possible solutions to singular problems?

Great, because you guys cut all of those things from number three and that's why I'm probably not buying number 4.

Whilst we're at it, real money gambling, let's not be having any of that, although given EA's obsession with it (And it's appearance in Battlefield 4 of all things) I'm not holding much hope.

Yeh, they need to bring back planets for the next Mass Effect. They were sorely missing from the ME2 & 3 I thought. I really missed the planets in ME2 & 3.

I'm going to remain optimistic (perhaps not even cautiously) until we some tangible form of this game. I know I could fly off the handle like this was a new Batman casting announcement or something, but you know, it's really not worth the bother.

Dragonbums:
snip
Also, how does one add the spoilers tag on the forums?

Here, this thread has pretty much every command on it. Just don't put the spaces between the [ and the command.

OT: Yeah, colour me sceptical. The Bioware universe is a little written into a corner with regards to a sequel and a prequel or a story taking place at the same time will just feel... inconsequential? I mean, we know how the story will turn out and that no decisions made in this one will mean anything. Unless they decide to pick one canon ending in which case they'll piss off a lot of people.

Captcha: umbrella corporation. Are you hinting at something captcha?

MiskWisk:

Dragonbums:
snip
Also, how does one add the spoilers tag on the forums?

Here, this thread has pretty much every command on it. Just don't put the spaces between the [ and the command.

OT: Yeah, colour me sceptical. The Bioware universe is a little written into a corner with regards to a sequel and a prequel or a story taking place at the same time will just feel... inconsequential? I mean, we know how the story will turn out and that no decisions made in this one will mean anything. Unless they decide to pick one canon ending in which case they'll piss off a lot of people.

Captcha: umbrella corporation. Are you hinting at something captcha?

The only way I can see this working is if they pull a classic Fanfiction.net style Alternate Universe sort of deal and re write the whole thing so that the original trilogy is canon but the AU is also canon just not canon to the trilogy and you know what? fuck this clusterfuck.

I wish they'd stop hyping it, excessive hype can only lead to disappointment (See Duke Nukem and Mass Effect 3 for this particular lesson). I'm not excited, i'd rather wait until there is more information before I start to get excited.

While I don't take word of what a dev says cause I didn't see it. I am excited for more mass effect, I must be one of those weirdo's who liked how the series ended and prefers the gameplay of ME 2/3 over ME1 (God ME1 sucks so hard for gameplay -_-).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here