Bioware: Next Mass Effect on "The Right Track"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

TiberiusEsuriens:

StewShearer:
"Just saw a early presentation for the next Mass Effect. Good thing you weren't here because you would have Lost... Your... Shit!"

It's good that the rest of the article is there to frame this statement, because if I had read this as a standalone tweet like many people will/did I'm sure the normal reaction is "So what you're telling me is that it's way worse than expected?"

This is exactly what I thought before reading the article. But, after my disappointment with Dragon Age II, Dragon Age: Inquisition is looking really good. So hopefully after the disappointment that was the Mass Effect 3 ending, Mass Effect 4 (or whatever they call it) will also be a turn round in the right direction. Although a turn round in the right direction for me would be they made it more like the original Mass Effect, but I know that's not going to happen.

It was a presentation... I'm genuinely worried now. Does this just mean we get a Mass Effect 3 with prettier lighting and even less gameplay features? Because that I do not want.

There's a slim chance they'll make it first person... seeing as they use the Frostbite 3 engine. I'll count it as unlikely though, and seeing Bioware's track record of terrible Unreal Engine mods[1]...

[1] ME had a horrible GUI, and DA:O... DA:O wasn't good, but the GUI was just the ultimate insult - just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around.

*reads title* oh lord why.....this is not going to go well..... *slowly clicks forum link* ..... AAAHHHHHH! image

Dragonbums:

Dendio:

Ponyholder:
Never understood the massive hate over an ending like ME3 received. Looking forward to see what they do with the series from here on out.

Despite the loud minority, the community here voted Me3 game of the year. ;-)

I think I'm just going to leave this here.

Pretty much sums up all I have to say in regards to the myth that the people who hated the ME3 endings are a "vocal minority"

http://youtu.be/gu731UtTFqo

Also, how does one add the spoilers tag on the forums?

I'm glad somebody linked that video.

To spoiler tag something simply type spoiler & /spoiler at the beginning and end of what you want to tag and bracket them.

Adam Jensen:

Ishal:
People already lost their shit with the last Mass Effect game

I really did. I never felt that kind of rage because of a video game before. It took me a long time to get to the acceptance stage.

:P

Dragonbums:

Dendio:

Ponyholder:
Never understood the massive hate over an ending like ME3 received. Looking forward to see what they do with the series from here on out.

Pretty much sums up all I have to say in regards to the myth that the people who hated the ME3 endings are a "vocal minority"

I won't be so blind as to say that there aren't a LOT of people who hated the game, but the keyword in "vocal minority" is "vocal.". I'm not even saying that the people that hated it were a minority, either. If you ask me the balance is indeed much closer to 50-50 than that video would have us believe. But that's just my opinion, personally I don't put faith into any kind of polling data no matter how how said poll is conducted. Personally I think the only way you can accurately determine whether or not the people who hated the game/endings are a vast majority is to literally ask every single person who purchased the game what their opinion on the matter is. People with negative feelings tend to be much more passionate about their feelings.

I could be wrong, of course, but I still think the split is closer to 50-50. Perhaps something like 55% hate vs 45% like/indifferent. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter so take that for all the BS that it's worth. :P

As for how you make spoiler tags:
"["spoiler=(want you want the spoiler tag to say)"]" (What you want inside the spoiler box) "["/spoiler"]"
Just remove all the quotation marks that I used. :3

On a side note since I went ahead and watched that video and the guy really likes to talk about the Indoctrination Theory that he made a couple hour-long videos about, all I'll say is that it creates just as many plot-holes as the literal interpretation of the ending does. Sure, a literal interpretation has a lot of problems with it, but there's just as much evidence against the IT as there is in support of it.

Matthi205:
It was a presentation... I'm genuinely worried now. Does this just mean we get a Mass Effect 3 with prettier lighting and even less gameplay features? Because that I do not want.

There's a slim chance they'll make it first person... seeing as they use the Frostbite 3 engine. I'll count it as unlikely though, and seeing Bioware's track record of terrible Unreal Engine mods[1]...

Considering the slightly mirrored development style between Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, and with Dragon Age: Inquisition being a huge step back on the right direction with more characters, races, and gameplay features than Dragon Age 2, it would be highly unlikely that the next Mass Effect would be dumbed down.

[1] ME had a horrible GUI, and DA:O... DA:O wasn't good, but the GUI was just the ultimate insult - just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around.

Weaver:
I, for one, don't understand people who want to keep their shit.

Yeah, seriously. I lose my shit everyday. It's called excretion.

Personally, I'm not really invested in Mass Effect. I haven't played any of them, so I have no particular feelings one way or the other.

Adam Jensen:

Ishal:
People already lost their shit with the last Mass Effect game

I really did. I never felt that kind of rage because of a video game before. It took me a long time to get to the acceptance stage.

Amen.

Only when DA:I doesn't suck...and just maybe has more than 3 dungeons, will I consider getting excited over this.

Then again, "lost my shit" may be a reference to future nerd rage resulting from pay-2-play like MP was in ME3 (which otherwise ruined a much better than expected multi-player element).

Dragonbums:

Dendio:

Ponyholder:

Interesting video.
But I'll agree with the guy above me... split looks to be much closer to 50/50. If you're disappointed in something, you're bound to be vocal... people don't seem to talk about things that make them happy too much.

Now, if this forum supported code tags, I could explain this properly.
Anyway, here's your BBCode (use the QUOTE button to get it, completely copy-pasteable)

You can use <> instead of [] if you've got a regional keyboard (German for example).
For the Youtube tag: use whatever comes after watch?v= up to the first & symbol and CTRL-C CTRL-V (CMD-C CMD-V if you use a mac) it into the tag.

"Game developer announced next game in successful franchise will be good" shocker. Its not like developers announce their next game is going to be shite and you should ignore it. Particularly if the last game had huge expectations and didn't really live up to expectations.

MinionJoe:
EA being EA, I'm sure "on the right track" means "free-to-play", "microtransactions", "mobile", and "DLC". That is, after all, what they've announced all future titles will entail.

This is why I don't get excited for Bioware games anymore, which is a bummer because I used to think they were the bees knees of american RPGs. Hey that rhymed.

I started losing interest in Bioware around Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, so I never even considered picking up Mass Effect 3. A bad ending doesn't turn me off from a series, but most things MinionJoe mentioned about EA does.

-Mod edit: User requested a permaban.

Mass Effect 3 was okay, but I'll wait until I see any sort of previews of the next game before I start to get excited.

I will still hold out hope that it will be better than Mass Effect 3, though I wasn't really one of those people who actually raged over it.

Heh heh heh... Bioware people like games made by Bioware! Wow! That is... something.

Look, I've absolutely loved many of Bioware's past games, and I would love for them to turn over a new leaf and give their customers more offerings that people could say were good without equivocation.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that you wouldn't have found a lot of people in Bioware trashing their own product when they came out with Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3, either.

From what I've seen, what fans would really like is some proof that Bioware has gotten what amounts to an angsty teenage phase out of their system. It's okay to have drama and tragedy in your games, but customers want to feel like they got there honestly; that it was earned, and a natural part of the story, rather than some third-act pulling the carpet out under the player or a contemptuous refusal to give people what they were hoping to see out of spite.

undeadsuitor:
You know, maybe back when ME3 was a recent thing I would be worried, but after seeing how Bioware is turning their ship around in DA:I I...actually have hope

Actually, I feel extremely hopeful about DA:I. I am looking forward to buying and playing it very much. But that's a different Bioware team, one that never lost my trust. It wouldn't be fair to punish them for something that people in the Mass Effect team did.

Of course, what's so unfair about the ME3 ending is that it took a huge amount of attention away from the excellent work in ME3 that many other people in Bioware did. I really don't think it was a bad game until the end, so I feel bad for those who wrote amazing moments like Mordin on Tuchanka. But I still don't feel that I can rely on Bioware press releases for Mass Effect, not after being burned so hard with ME3.

The thing is, it's not even about a sad ending. My first playthrough of DA:O had a stunningly sad ending where I felt that I was being punched in the gut emotionally several times in the final hours, but it all made sense in the context of the world and its characters. With the passing of time, I only came to appreciate it more and more. With the ME3 ending, the more time passed and the more I thought about it, the less it made sense and the more it bothered me that writers I had come to trust had signed off on this thing - and that some in Bioware had even claimed it was the opposite. That's something I never understood. If Casey was so proud of the freaking artistic integrity of the ending, why did he lie about it before the game came out?

Anyway, sorry for ranting. Short version is that, yes, optimism still seems warranted for DA:I.

From footage I've seen of DA:I the graphics are pretty subpar. Wait and see if it has an idiotic storyline before I give it a shot or not. So far the looks are not impressing me much.

Casey Hudson is still project lead right? And Mac Walters is still lead creative writer? Then...yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this sudden flood of "It Rocks" Tweets from inside BioWare is EA starting the damage control hype machine early for ME4. After what they did to many fans (yes, I understand not *all* fans...) who poured a shit ton of time and money into the Mass Effect series only to get ****'ed over by the conclusion of ME3 they shouldn't really hold their breath that too many people are going to believe anything coming out of BioWare.

Meh, Extended Cut helped me forgive, I'll definately give the new one a look

Sorry if I'm being cynical here but...

How exactly is this news? How does this qualify as anything close to news, or even information anyone would care about? The whole bloody article can be summed up as "Current Bioware Employees Think Game is Awesome! BUY IT!". Why in all the hells of the world should I care what they think about it, when it is tied to their EMPLOYER. I'd be more impressed if Moviebob, or Yahtzee, or Biscuit said something about how the game looks to be coming out awesomely. But employees? Employees who wear their "I work at Bioware" tag right on the front of their announcement about how awesome this game is?

Yeah... How about no.

Captcha: You're fired!

Good point captcha. If any of these employees were caught bad-mouthing the game even slightly on their Bioware-labeled public forms of communication, they'd probably get the boot real fast.

roguewriter:
Casey Hudson is still project lead right? And Mac Walters is still lead creative writer?

I don't know about Mac, but I'm pretty sure that Casey isn't project lead anymore. Still gonna wait for reviews.

Wow, you're telling me that the developer of the game, claims that it will be good.
Holy Shit, like that ever happened before!

Do you guys remember back shortly before DA 2 was released and the head of the dev team tweeted how he just played through the game again and can't believe how awesome it is?
Yeah...
Sorry but i am not getting hyped from THIS.

Fool me once, Bioware....

Dendio:

Ponyholder:

And ~75% voted against it. I think it's safe to say that Mass Effect 3 caused a splintered vote in which people had to vote for alternatives.

AAAGGGHHH! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! I fucking hate it when developers do this. All they're doing is setting up high expectations for themselves and the fans, expectations that never meet what we idealize in our own heads. Just shut the fuck up and make the game.

ticklefist:

Dendio:

Ponyholder:

And ~75% voted against it. I think it's safe to say that Mass Effect 3 caused a splintered vote in which people had to vote for alternatives.

By that logic Mass Effect 3 was the least hated video game since it got the fewest number of people voting against it. However, voting for something =/= voting against something else. It's entirely possible that someone really liked Mass Effect 3, but liked Hotline Miami just a little bit more. And vice versa of course.

hell to the haters

This is great news. I'm really excited! ME is a great franchise.

No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.
Why can't developers just let a damn good story end (even if said ending was... meh)? Why does every single successful game have to be turned into a franchise that gets beaten into the ground until it sucks (e.g. Halo, Gears of War, Dragon Age, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, etc. etc.)? Just make something new and amazing rather than something tried and tired!

What makes the people currently working for Bioware think they have any credibility in determining what's the 'right track?'

So, um, BioWare is telling us that the next Mass Effect is going to be awesome? Stop the presses and all, someone tooting their horn is unprecedented and world-shattering, the people must know the truth and all that.

Really, devs, cut it out with the hype. It brings sales, sure, but repeat attempts will have diminishing returns if the product isn't what it was hyped up to be.

Its going to be a MMORPG. That's the only way they can keep the franchise going. The Shepard saga is over, for good or ill. They'll never officially touch any of those characters again - to do so would invalidate a lot of player's journeys with them.

It'll be a dry, faceless, lifeless MMORPG that will launch to moderate fanfair and interest. Six months down the line, half the servers will be shut down. Two years out the game will shut down completely. Just another casualty to the WOW monster and the growing indifference of the gaming community.

If they make it planning the ending in advance and respecting our decisions then I'm sure it'll be simply amazing!

I'll believe it when I see it, until then I'm assuming it's going to be shit.

There is no right way to make a joke that the only "Right Track" for another Mass Effect game would be the train to Auchwitz, so I will not make that joke. Instead, I will allow your minds to fill in the blanks.

There is no Mass Effect, they killed it, remember.

There is nothing they could show in a demo that could potentially blow anyone away.

Because it would involve seeing the choices you made impact the game. (Which they can't show in a presentation)

Unless the "next Mass Effect" is a re-issue of ME3 presented as if anything that happened in the first two games mattered the whole franchise is still dead.

Translation : We are making a game to rival Halo 5!!11111

>They want to take to slow, we say more power too them.

Doesn't mean they aren't going to hype the shit out of it though

This is what I'm seeing when I see this marketing

Silentpony:
Its going to be a MMORPG. That's the only way they can keep the franchise going. The Shepard saga is over, for good or ill. They'll never officially touch any of those characters again - to do so would invalidate a lot of player's journeys with them.

It'll be a dry, faceless, lifeless MMORPG that will launch to moderate fanfair and interest. Six months down the line, half the servers will be shut down. Two years out the game will shut down completely. Just another casualty to the WOW monster and the growing indifference of the gaming community.

Wow.

Or...they could just tell a separate characters story in another time period that doesn't touch Shepard's? They have already been talking about the possibility of different playable races ala Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition.

Are you seriously saying that the 10 or so characters from the main trilogy are the only characters in the entire universe?

Weaver:
I, for one, don't understand people who want to keep their shit.

It's more of a timing issue, really.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or