Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Escapist Expo to Host Smosh Games Crew

Escapist Expo

With our gamer cred on the line, The Escapist will show down against Smosh Games.

Smosh Games, the team behind popular YouTube shows like Backseat Gaming, has announced that they will be in attendance at Escapist Expo on October 4, 5, and 6 right here in Durham, North Carolina. Smosh Games is like the comedic counterpart to The Escapist, sharing our love of all things videogames.

In addition to manning their booth and meeting fans, Smosh Games will be sitting on panels throughout the weekend. Check out their panels below, pick some that suit your tastes, and be sure to sit in on them for the full Smosh Games experience!

Friday 10:30am - How to Create an Online Cult

Friday 12:00pm - Cosplay 101: Breaking into Cosplay and Keeping the Dream Alive

Friday 1:30pm - The Rise of Streaming

Saturday 12:00pm - How to Start a Gaming Channel on YouTube

Sunday 12:00pm - Game of the Year

Sunday 3:00pm - Smosh Games Q&A

Sunday 4:30pm - Your Game Idea is Bollocks/Brilliant - Pitch It Anyway

Finally, don't forget to keep an eye out for details on the Escapist vs Smosh Games showdown in the coming weeks! Of course, if you haven't registered for Expo yet, now's your chance. Stop on by, meet your favorite personalities from The Escapist and Smosh Games, and play lots of games.

Urrg, SmoshGames.

I really hate those guys. I have a neat browser plugin that blocks them from appearing on YouTube.

Are these the same smosh people who had a failed attempt at a top 5 show on The Escapist? Yuck.

Phrozenflame500:
Urrg, SmoshGames.

I really hate those guys. I have a neat browser plugin that blocks them from appearing on YouTube.

I have that plugin too, I really can care less about these top dogs and I would rather see Escapist support channels that have between 10,000 and 200,000 subscribers. The people who have 1.5mil+ really I don't give a damn about because they don't entertain me as much as smaller channels do. If there's any channel with 1m I would support, it would be Angry Joe's because he doesn't sugar coat his reviews nor takes publisher or developer bribes for higher review scores.

On top of this, some of the bigger channels like iJustine, Toby and a couple others have game channels simply because they know game LPs will sell to the simple masses, not to mention neither iJustine or Toby are real gamers. They're just bandwagoners who are in for it for the Youtube cash, not because they genuinely like games (esp. iJustine). These few are an embarrassment to real gamer channels on Youtube who do it out of the passion for loving games, not to make a quick buck on Youtube.

Vent/rant over.

CriticalMiss:
Are these the same smosh people who had a failed attempt at a top 5 show on The Escapist? Yuck.

Yep, it sure is. On the bright side, it was that show that eventually brought back Lisa due to high demand. Who knows why they thought we'd like them over our Nerd Queen.

Good for the people that like them, I guess, although I'm not too confident of the number.

Just chiming in with everyone else on the overwhelming dislike thing. Seriously though, after they were so unpopular on the site, who thought it was a good idea to get them at the expo?

You know what's the most awesome thing about this announcement?
A plug-in that blocks Smosh has been brought to my attention. Where is it?

The Escapist is kinda a "hardcore" games-are-art-hippie site, not much love for mainstream "casuals". My indifference to Smosh is great.

Glaice:
.... [They aren't]... real gamers.

Define "gamer".

Goliath100:
The Escapist is kinda a "hardcore" games-are-art-hippie site, not much love for mainstream "casuals". My indifference to Smosh is great.

Glaice:
.... [They aren't]... real gamers.

Define "gamer".

*grabs popcorn*

TheScottishMexican42:

There's "Block youtube users 2.7" that I have, basically allows you to block any channel and its videos from appearing. Not sure if that's what they mean, but it'll certainly do the job.

OT: Yay. How exciting. A bunch of unfunny medium common denominator hacks. Certainly a match for the content that is created by/for the Escapist. Please stop.

Man, I know joining up with Alloy was probably a very informed decision, but I miss not having their shenanigans. Maybe someday.

Featuring a surprise appearance from special guest Pewdipie.

OT: From what little I've seen of Smosh, they seem like a mediocre internet comedy group. Why invite them along and not some proper Lets Players? The Super Best Friends, the Game Grumps, the Runaway Gang if they're still together, someone like that.

TheScottishMexican42:

I use Greasemonkey with this to block him (as a bonus, it also blocks PewDiePie and TobyGames, and you can edit it to block others such as Smosh's main channel if you like), but Greasemonkey is Firefox only. On Chrome you need to use Tampermonkey with the aforementioned script to block them. You can't block them using IE, but if you're using IE you probably have bigger problems.

And suddenly I find myself a little bit less sad that I can't make it to the expo, so thanks for that I guess.

hey I'm sure someone is excited about this.

Why?!

They haven't posted to the Escapist in ages, their show was massively unpopular and then Lisa Foiles came in and brought her show back (which does the exact same thing but way better, might I add) and it's having a huge amount of success. Please don't tell me this is simply because Alloy wants them there. They don't fit there, they aren't Escapist contributors anymore.

This isn't the Alloy Digital expo. This is the escapist Expo. What the fuck, guys? Well, now I guess I won't see any of the panels online.

I just looked them up and say some thumbnails and thought "These are the dudes I avoid on youtube"...so yay?

Now i know that smosh holding company has bought escapist, but do they really have to invade everything now? cant they keep to thier own crap? Why are those retards popular in the first place....

CriticalMiss:

yes, the same guys. i dare you to look at thier gaming channel "yaay. wooo. yes. wooo. wooo. aaaa" <- basically commmentary of all their gaming videos.

DewMan001:
Why?!

Because corporations. they own escapist. and while so far they were kinda throw out by the community, they keep trying.
Then again we also got screw attack thing in there (is anyone watching those anyway?) which i guess is another consequence.

Phrozenflame500:

TheScottishMexican42:

I use Greasemonkey with this to block him (as a bonus, it also blocks PewDiePie and TobyGames, and you can edit it to block others such as Smosh's main channel if you like), but Greasemonkey is Firefox only. On Chrome you need to use Tampermonkey with the aforementioned script to block them. You can't block them using IE, but if you're using IE you probably have bigger problems.

Its there, and it works, wow, thank you, you just saved me a lot of annoyance on youtube. this is amazing!

Why? Smosh is so fucking annoying -_-

I predict a very deserted booth for them.

Here's my rather dramatic prediction of what will happen on their panels with the other, better, more regular escapist contributors. Say Yahtzee and Graham start having witty banter about, I don't know, Papers, Please. The Smosh guys then start to just go "Yay!" and scream a bunch because, hey, it works for them on YouTube. This will, of course, slow the conversation. They will be asked if they have, at least, played Papers, Please and they will respond with "No, we don't play shitty little indie games" and everyone will leave. And Smosh won't be dropped, the Expo will just be cancelled entirely.

If you are going, please cancel your passes to let the E know that this isn't good.

Well this has been received about as well as I expected. I'm not going to the Expo, but will probably watch some of the related videos. I'm interested to see if any of the Smosh stuff gets uploaded, if any of their fans turn up and how well they are received. I predict it'll be simultaneously entertaining and painful.

That EXP/Screw Attack stuff? I try to screen it out as best I can. Treat it like 'related links' or something.

"Smosh Games is like the comedic counterpart to The Escapist, sharing our love of all things video games". No, the comedic counterpart to The Escapist is ALL OF THE VIDEO SERIES on The Escapist. And they don't share the Escapist's love of video games, they share the love of money. And how video games can make them lots and lots of money.

What the fuck Escapist?

I know you got bought out by Alloy Digital, who owns Smosh (like another guy kindly pointed out), but really?

FUCKING SMOSH?

Does anyone on this site actually like them?

I mean, try comparing LRR or Zero Punctuation, to this piece of shit:

Please nobody go to their booth, and just ignore them on the panels (that will actually be funnier than any of the content these guys put out).

While I did not plan to attend the Expo, mainly because of the distance separating me from it, I greatly enjoyed the expo videos last year, so it pains me to see these buffoons plaguing the brilliance that will be the expo(deducting, at least, from how it went last time). Then again, I suppose if they stick to their own panels, and clearly label the videos with them present I will not mind it, speaking as a someone who won't be there to actually experience the event.

MrTwo:
snip

I lasted 30 seconds into that video[1] - and was on my way out with the typical headphone/speaker/eardrum-killing intro at obnoxious and unnecessary volume. That was fucking awful.

[1] Challenge set! Anyone care to best that time?

Teoes:

MrTwo:
snip

I lasted 30 seconds into that video[1] - and was on my way out with the typical headphone/speaker/eardrum-killing intro at obnoxious and unnecessary volume. That was fucking awful.

Here, have a funny version of that video:

And I actually made it to the end of this video.
Somehow more enjoyable than their gaming shows, which are as funny as having your fingernails ripped out whilst being forced to listen to a duet of Miley Cyrus and Kesha.

[1] Challenge set! Anyone care to best that time?

I wasn't going anyway, but I'd like to say that I also hate Smosh (and their affiliates) with a fiery passion. I'm also fascinated to see that I'm not alone in blocking Smosh thumbnails from popping up.

Honestly, Smosh? Really? That's what the Escapist is tied to? Jesus Christ.

major_chaos:
And suddenly I find myself a little bit less sad that I can't make it to the expo, so thanks for that I guess.

QFT

It is rather interesting how their appearance gets universal hatred. Personally I have no idea who they are.. But wow, I suppose I should not look them up. They seem to be evil incarnate if this thread is to be believed. O_o

Is this to attract people who don't visit the Escapist and watch Smosh to go to the event? If so... shit.

It's extremely easy to see the great hatred Escapists have for Smosh, and now they have panels in the Escapist Expo?

I don't have a huge problem with cross-promotion, hell, I actually didn't mind their god awful top 5s plaguing this website's video schedule (mainly because we got Lisa back afterwards), but this is something else.

Smosh and The Escapist don't mix, I thought everyone got that message when users reacted to their videos being here.

Aerosteam:
Is this to attract people who don't visit the Escapist and watch Smosh to go to the event? If so... shit.

It's extremely easy to see the great hatred Escapists have for Smosh, and now they have panels in the Escapist Expo?

I don't have a huge problem with cross-promotion, hell, I actually didn't mind their god awful top 5s plaguing this website's video schedule (mainly because we got Lisa back afterwards), but this is something else.

Smosh and The Escapist don't mix, I thought everyone got that message when users reacted to their videos being here.

This is most definitely true. Also, this completely violates one of the pillars of the Escapist. One of which is have a great time, another being meet the creators from the site! Smosh no longer contributes to the site, so this doesn't fit AT ALL.

Alloy Digital, you're trying to fit the square block through the round hole here. PLEASE STOP!

Just imagine.
At some meeting, somewhere, the words "We should get Smosh to attend the Escapist Expo" was uttered. And a bunch of other people agreed.

Pinkamena:
Just imagine.
At some meeting, somewhere, the words "We should get Smosh to attend the Escapist Expo" was uttered. And a bunch of other people agreed.

I curse those people with a fiery, passionate hatred.

Just found their video advertising their appearance. No one from the SmoshGames audience seems to care. They're just suggesting games for them to play.

MrTwo:

Yes we are just nowhere near as vocal as those that don't like it, as with every hate topic on the site like Bioware and ea it seems that the people who dislike the subject insist on being as loud as possible to show people how stupid they are for liking something they don't.

lemby117:

MrTwo:

Yes we are just nowhere near as vocal as those that don't like it, as with every hate topic on the site like Bioware and ea it seems that the people who dislike the subject insist on being as loud as possible to show people how stupid they are for liking something they don't.

I just don't understand why they're going when they don't even contribute anymore.

Calibanbutcher:

Somehow more enjoyable than their gaming shows, which are as funny as having your fingernails ripped out whilst being forced to listen to a duet of Miley Cyrus and Kesha.

You were saying? :D

lemby117:

OK you like them I think they are absolute shite, each to their own, but is it really feasible to bring them to the Escapist Expo when the vast majority of users seem to hold a fiery dislike for them (so much so that their videos were taken off the site). And if they aren't contributors anymore, and they aren't developers or guest speakers to offer insights into the industry and whatnot, what the hell are they doing there? I'll tell you what, promoting the Alloy Digital brand that the Escapist is now a part of.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here