Molyneux's Godus Now Available Via Steam Early Access

Molyneux's Godus Now Available Via Steam Early Access

Fable creator Peter Molyneux's ambitious new "God simulator" Godus has entered its early access beta.

One thing that Peter Molyneux sure can do well is talk up his games, and his latest "God simulator" Godus is no exception. He essentially created a separate game in order to reveal it, giving a random person "God-like powers" within the game in the process. Well, now you can finally get your hands on the game's Early Access Beta. You can pre-purchase Godus on the Steam store for $20, and contributors to the Godus Kickstarter should be receiving their own beta keys soon.

"Our reason for using early access is so that we can get as many of you to play the game and for us to learn from what you enjoy and hate. In that way over the coming months develop Godus into a GREAT game, that is our passion!"

The game will also be out on the Android and iOS platforms at a later date, though Molyneux states that those versions will be free-to-play. Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.

In Godus, the player is empowered in the role of a God, allowing them to sculpt every inch of a beautiful world that they look down upon, on which a population of Followers settle and multiply. The Curiosity winner, Bryan Henderson, will take the role of "God of Gods", will be able to influence the rules of the game to whatever he sees fit.

Source: Steam

There is only one God simulator, and it is Actraiser.

But seriously, wasn't Bryan's role severely scaled back? That was the most interesting bit to me, and it seems there was a ton of limitations.

Zachary Amaranth:

But seriously, wasn't Bryan's role severely scaled back? That was the most interesting bit to me, and it seems there was a ton of limitations.

I've never understood that either.

From what I understand, the guy worked really hard to get some unnamed prize, and then he got the role of a god, but it's only for a limited amount of time. Why?

In any event, I do wonder if the role of "god" can be fought over and won briefly because if so then that would be interesting.

Then again, I could be giving good ole Molyneux too much credit.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Zachary Amaranth:

From what I understand, the guy worked really hard to get some unnamed prize, and then he got the role of a god, but it's only for a limited amount of time. Why?

In any event, I do wonder if the role of "god" can be fought over and won briefly because if so then that would be interesting.

Then again, I could be giving good ole Molyneux too much create.

he apparently got it at the last minute and fluked being the guy who actually got the prize. good on him

i think ill wait till the reviews come in before even coming close to getting this

Sim City without the city management?

wombat_of_war:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Zachary Amaranth:

Then again, I could be giving good ole Molyneux too much create.

he apparently got it at the last minute and fluked being the guy who actually got the prize. good on him

i think ill wait till the reviews come in before even coming close to getting this

Damn. That's some dedication. I knew that there were people out there that were competing for it hardcore, but I didn't know how close it really was. Cool beans.

But yeah, I'm waiting until I hear how this game plays out before I even step into that game since Molyneux tends to over sell his games.

If I am not mistaken, then this is an always online SP/MP game with a persistent world that has dedicated server(s). I read that there originally was an in-game store but that is was disabled due to the initial backlash, and so I can't help but wonder what will happen next.

Are they going to reintroduce the microtransactions in order to sustain server costs or will they somehow redesign the game for peer 2 peer?

Every time I see a Peter Molyneux game I think of the word disappointment. That man is very good at promising things and not delivering. Every.Single.Time.
I can understand how he became a big name in gaming industry, but why, oh why is he still relevant?

captcha: silence is golden

So now captcha is telling me to shut the hell up.

Adam Jensen:

Or maybe its a message for Peter to shut up over selling his games before they are released. :-)

I will wait for reviews of this game but im doubting it will be that great. Its sold on the "you can be god and make laws" but im thinking the game itself will be crap. Everyone will just be wanting to be the overall rule maker.

Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.

Umm....What? Surely buying early access is the same thing as buying the game, right? Let's face it, if a company charged for early access then told you that you have to re-buy the game on release, people would be seriously pissed.

So basically, I disagree with the assessment that you get the game free on release. What you're really doing is buying it early so the developers can use you to help test the game.

frobalt:

Buying in to the Early Access beta of Godus will of course grant you with a free copy of the game when it is released.

Umm....What? Surely buying early access is the same thing as buying the game, right? Let's face it, if a company charged for early access then told you that you have to re-buy the game on release, people would be seriously pissed.

So basically, I disagree with the assessment that you get the game free on release. What you're really doing is buying it early so the developers can use you to help test the game.

Devs that use early access typically sell the game at a large discount to what it's going to be sold for at release, and increase the price of the game towards the release prices as the beta goes on. (unless of course you're that one game doing it ass backwards by charging 3x the release price for early access and is decreasing the price as it nears release)

You're right though, you're not getting the game for free by any stretch of the imagination. Though Godus is $20 on steam atm so I'm curious what they plan to sell the final product at.

OT:
I actually bought the game yesterday when I saw it had hit early access, and let me just say that it is a very slowly paced game. I spent 8 hours playing it yesterday and I'm still not out of the first of four stages for the Primitive Age. It also shows that the game was, or is, designed around the idea of micro-transactions at some point or another because the various resources you need to advance are only available through random chance; either by finding buried treasure, competing in story mode against AI, or multiplayer matches[1]. Once I hit the point where you can't advance the story anymore until reaching to bronze age my progression basically stopped because I needed 5 coal cards to unlock mining (to mine the secondary currency of gems)

Put simply this is definitely a very early version of the game, only 40% of the end product if the loading screen is to be believe, and unless you're dying to get your hands on it (like I was for reasons I can't fully understand) I'd say give it a few updates before buying in or just wait for the final release.

[1] Multiplayer is currently not implemented if I understood in the in-game developer notes on the release.

Looks fun, will add to my wish list for when i have spare time :)

I've played it a little bit last night.
Having to click followers to keep them alive is a pain.

Paying $20 to beta test a free-to-play phone game? No thanks Pete. If that is an indication that the game is going to be more expensive later on then it sounds like they have over priced the game, if they are dropping the price on release then early adopters are getting screwed over.

So Black and White MMO?

Rex Dark:

I agree, at first I though it's a pretty alright game, but then I slowly but steadily felt like I'm actually in an iPhone game where I need to keep tapping houses to get anything. Now I feel slightly annoyed that I wasted my money on this.
seriously, how hard can it be to not make a game insanely repititive and click intensive. it feels like Minecraft without any crafting, hunting or whatever, just mining blocks, and you are only allowed to place ONE after mining a whole ten of them. AAARGH.

Am I only one who thinks this game looks absolutely terrible? First Black & White, game from over a decade ago, looks much better than this. Models of people back then were technologically limited but at least they had faces. And the pancake terrain is just awful.

Rainforce:

Rex Dark:

I agree, at first I though it's a pretty alright game, but then I slowly but steadily felt like I'm actually in an iPhone game where I need to keep tapping houses to get anything. Now I feel slightly annoyed that I wasted my money on this.
seriously, how hard can it be to not make a game insanely repititive and click intensive. it feels like Minecraft without any crafting, hunting or whatever, just mining blocks, and you are only allowed to place ONE after mining a whole ten of them. AAARGH.

Well, after a little bit more playing I actually got the hang of it.
You don't have to send your followers out of their house unless it's to build more houses.
Or attack an enemy.
All you have to do is make more flat space for houses to be built on.

Just checked this out because I'm a huge fan of Populous and the original Black and White. It's rubbish. It's more of an app than a game. Obviously set up to cash in on microtransactions and made specifically for phones and tablets. I know there's a market for that type of thing but I'm definitely not a part of that demographic. Just makes me sad because I loved Molyneux's old games so much.

Rex Dark:

Rainforce:

Rex Dark:

You don't have to send your followers out of their house unless it's to build more houses.
Or attack an enemy.

I mostly mean the manual collection of faith, the breeding thing is remotely ok.

Because "Winging it" is the motto 22 cans lives by.

"We released an experiment in seeing how many idiots we can trick into purchasing micro-transactions for a game that is literally nothing but tapping by exploiting human curiosity with a mysterious prize.

Oh crap! People actually managed to get close to the end. We have to figure out some kind of prize now. Didn't we start a kickstarter game that isn't even guaranteed to get funded or made? Let's give the guy that gets to the end the prize of being a god in that game.

Shit! We didn't actually think making someone a god through. He'd basically dictate the entire way the game worked by setting arbitrary rules so we have to limit what he actually can do, basically renegging on what was a prize in a contest and cutting his power dramatically.

ZOMG! I just realized how crappy our Godus game actually is. It barely has any functionality, no resource mechanics, obtuse time consuming design for no reason, it's basically a facebook game! Let's take the money we got from people wanting a Populus successor for the PC and instead partner with a mobile game publisher. Cause the PC crowd is gonna roast us for this POS, the mobile crowd however couldn't tell this POS from the gazillion other POS they have already installed!

We are gonna make bank selling this to the drooling idiots in the mobile games markets who think a game where you tap something to make something happen is mind blowing. Why didn't we think of this before. We are so totally gonna milk people dry when we add MICROTRANSACTIONS TO A CROWDFUNDED GAME!!! Screw the backers, we got their money so they can go fuck themselves. You'd think they'd learn after 5 failed Molyneux games, but guess not. Lucky us!"

That was a short excerpt from the company e-mail box.

Rainforce:

Rex Dark:

Rainforce:

Or attack an enemy.

I mostly mean the manual collection of faith, the breeding thing is remotely ok.

Ah, yes.
I wonder if there'll be a more automated way later on.

Rex Dark:

Rainforce:

Rex Dark:

Or attack an enemy.

Ah, yes.
I wonder if there'll be a more automated way later on.

there seems to be with settlements, which ive unlocked after about 4 hours of casual play. it isnt automatic but it seems to absorb all the nearby faith into one giant bubble, drastically reducing the amount of clicking needed

A3sir:
So Black and White MMO?

When I first saw this game I was really interested. A 3D Populous!?! Yes!

But now I'm finding out it's more like an MMO than a remake of that classic... no thanks.

After watching Nerdł's look at the beta it doesn't look promising guys. A lot of tedious clicking, clunky mechanics and, of course, micro transactions! I know it's only beta, which Dan recognises, but damn it's a very bare bones start.

I would keep my money for now, because it is very much a case of paying absurd amounts for what will most likely be a 5 buck mobile app, and for the pleasure of paying 4x that you still get a micro transaction shop that is always on screen, always.
Granted the shop server got disabled due to backlash but all the ingame functionality was kept so do expect it's return.

And on the mobile game side of things it means this thing is very basic, from design to visuals to controls, pretty much 95% is run via left click which is not only tedious as hell(Cow Clicker vibe is strong here) but also very often causes wrong actions to perform as the game tries to decide what you really wanted to do, not to mention some horrid gameplay design that comes with that territory.
Also it appears they are aiming this for always online where your world will be kept on their servers, and we are talking about a studio who only makes games through Kickstarter to keep up the servers for all this... I wouldn't bet my money on this shit running for all too long.

Well guys Nercubed said it already.Microtransactions pay to win mobile game

Been disappointed by Molyneux games too often so will wait for a review. I'm also starting to get concerned with the amount of early access games that are flooding the market now. I'd rather wait and pay more for the finished game rather than pay less and playtest the alpha and beta and be fed up of the damn game by time the final release is issued.

Adam Jensen:
Every time I see a Peter Molyneux game I think of the word disappointment. That man is very good at promising things and not delivering. Every.Single.Time.
I can understand how he became a big name in gaming industry, but why, oh why is he still relevant?

I feel like Molyneux was born in the wrong time, he has some great ideas and seems very creative but the technology simply doesn't exist yet for most of the stuff he wants to do.

EDIT: That said, seeing the video above maybe he's past his prime.. that really is a mobile game, isn't it?

Ickorus:

Adam Jensen:

I feel like Molyneux was born in the wrong time, he has some great ideas and seems very creative but the technology simply doesn't exist yet for most of the stuff he wants to do.

EDIT: That said, seeing the video above maybe he's past his prime.. that really is a mobile game, isn't it?

When has Pete ever delivered anything close to what he promised. I think he was born in exactly the right time. The time when you can sell apples, give people tomatoes and not be run on a rail out of town. No, seriously. He sells a big ideal picture that his games can never live up to. I've more or less started seeing his involvement in any game to be a red flag.

Oh and yeah..he's also rather vague on the concept of early access. Early access, means you get the games early and unfinished. But when it's don you basically get the game free. Considering you intend to give the game away for free what you've basically said is that people are being asked to pay for the honour of beta testing your game.

Ickorus:

Adam Jensen:

I'd disagree with the idea that he's more visionary or ahead of his time than most devs. I'm fairly certain that all good game developers have excellent ideas that can never come to pass, but they check their capabilities, limitations, talents, budgets, test them, and see if they will fit in the scope of the game before promising things to fans.

The only thing special about Molyneux is that he doesn't have a filter for his words, and he doesn't care about falling short of expectations.

Ickorus:

I dont really think thats a problem of technology. He has lots of nice ideas, but he just isnt that great at following them through. I mean he hasnt made a really good game since fable 1 (debatably, I know)...and than fucked the whole franchise up, cause he came up with more and more ridiculous the-sims-ideas, instead of focusing on fine-tuning and polishing the gameplay, create new engaging stories and so on.
Its not technology thats holding his games back, but his inability to concentrate on actually making the game feel good to play. Too much exploration, no fine-tuning. Not the sign of a goo game-director.

Topic: Game looks like a cross between social and smartphone game. Not that impressed.

I was optimistic about this as Populous is one of the few god games that I've ever enjoyed.. then I warched Total Biscuits video on it. Wow, it looks terrible (not in terms of visuals, I actually kind of like the look of it, but in terms of actual gameplay). It's a good thing that they're still fairly early in development because there's a lot that needs to be fixed. Let's just hope that they do actually listen to player feedback like they say they are going to.

TotalBiscuit did a piece on this game, i cannot believe they are selling this in this state, it is an alpha, but every design choice is like wtf.

Tons needs to change from alpha to beta, peter better pay attention to what the reviewers and community is saying about this thing.

Make a game peter stop trying to make a cash cow clicker.

KeyMaster45:

...unless you're dying to get your hands on it (like I was for reasons I can't fully understand) I'd say give it a few updates before buying in or just wait for the final release.

Alright, thanks. I was wondering if the game had anything compelling to justify getting it now (like if it's fun or intriguing or whatever). I can certainly wait if any such change occurs, in the mean time I have Planetary Annihilation to keep me occupied.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here