Rumor: Leaked GTA V Config Code Reveals PC, PS4 Versions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Leaked GTA V Config Code Reveals PC, PS4 Versions

The code comes from a pirated version of Grand Theft Auto V for Xbox 360.

Grand Theft Auto V isn't technically out until tomorrow, but it hasn't stopped pirates from getting their grubby little hands on it. And pirates, being the crafty little buggers they are, aren't just playing the game, they are disassembling it and poking around in its guts. As such, code from a configuration file allegedly coming from a pirated Xbox 360 version of the game has appeared on pastebin, and apparently points towards a PC and PS4 version of the game.

Here are two screen-grabs of the relevant sections of code:

The PC code is fairly obvious, and if you're wondering what the hell "Orbis" is, it was the original code name of the PS4 back when the dev kits were being handed out to developers.

Take this all with a grain of salt however, it is after all, the word of a pirate, and could have been entirely faked. But given GTA's history of releasing on PC, and the fact that the PS4 and Xbox One are right around the corner, it does seem pretty likely that we will see a next-gen release of the game at some point.

Source & Images: Dualshockers

Hopefully this means the PC version will release simultaneously with the Xbone/PS4. It'd kinda suck if it made it to four consoles with still no sign of a proper PC release.

Well this is hopeful I guess, but I won't hold my breath until it's announced and it's a better port than the god-awful GTA4 port.

Mcoffey:
Hopefully this means the PC version will release simultaneously with the Xbone/PS4. It'd kinda suck if it made it to four consoles with still no sign of a proper PC release.

I just don't want to wait as long we did for GTA IV on PC. Not to mention that version sucked balls, but that is for another rant.

Make this happen Rockstar! ALSO BRING ME RED DEAD ON PC!

No love for the Wii U it seems. I would think people would love to jump up on the Wii U wagon if they had GTA 5

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

I just don't want to wait as long we did for GTA IV on PC. Not to mention that version sucked balls, but that is for another rant.

It's been 3 years since Redemption came out, I can't see Rockstar suddenly out of nowhere releasing it for the PC at this point in time.

That and you could easily get it dirt cheap brand new online for either of the two current consoles.

taciturnCandid:
No love for the Wii U it seems. I would think people would love to jump up on the Wii U wagon if they had GTA 5

I'd love to play GTA V on the U (would also bolster the library I reckon), especially when using the gamepad as a map/ character select and weapon inventory along with displayed objectives.

Really wish Rockstar would chip in for the U sometime seeing as how the console could handle their games and a nice increase in the library is a bonus incentive.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

It's been 3 years since Redemption came out, I can't see Rockstar suddenly out of nowhere releasing it for the PC at this point in time.

That and you could easily get it dirt cheap brand new online for either of the two current consoles.

Oh I know, I still just want it on PC as I have every other Rockstar title on it. I just want to finish my collection :P

Shadow-Phoenix:

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

Can't see them releasing RDD for the PC? similar things happened in past. There have been PC versions that came out years after their console release.

And the surprise is?

Rockstar do this every single time they've released a new GTA since Vice City for crying out loud. First release on consoles, then six to eight months later release on the PC. It's a dick move I'll grant you, but it's just how they roll.

Doom972:

Can't see them releasing RDD for the PC? similar things happened in past. There have been PC versions that came out years after their console release.

I'm very sure that has happened to many a game before.

I was also trying to convey that some who have yet to play it in the meantime can still buy it cheaply on the two consoles or choose to wait for however long it takes for Rockstar to decide on making a PC version.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

And Brutal legend came out for PC way after its release on consoles.

Stranger things have happened in gaming. Way stranger things.

If this gets released on next gen consoles how much you wanna bet it'll be a more "complete" version of this game?

I don't mind personally. Whatever platform I'd play this on I'd want free online, so PS4 and either Xbox console would be out anyway.

Icehearted:
If this gets released on next gen consoles how much you wanna bet it'll be a more "complete" version of this game?

I don't mind personally. Whatever platform I'd play this on I'd want free online, so PS4 and either Xbox console would be out anyway.

Most likely, the newer versions will have higher definition and even more peds on the streets. Because the major complaint about GTA V on leaks is how dead the sidewalks are compared to how many cars are on the streets.

Then again, no one walks in Los Angeles. So it may stay the same.

I can hear the shit storm now when people feel rockstar pulled a bait and switch and the better version is the next gen version.

if you think Rome II and Aliens were bad, we haven't seen anything yet.

After what a poor port GTA IV was I really don't see myself buying GTA V until it's on sale for 15 or less dollars. I just don't feel like I can trust rockstar to deliver a quality port any more.

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

I hear ya. That was an intolerable wait for a port gimped by GWFL and terrible system requirements. I'm hopeful though, considering how excellent the PC version of Max Payne was.

Steven Bogos:
Take this all with a grain of salt, however, it is, after all, the word of a pirate and could have been entirely faked.

I won't pretend to be qualified to be a news editor, and I admit that I think this sentence is technically correct. It is, however, awkward as hell to read. A few too many commas in there for my brain to quickly parse its meaning anyway.

Mcoffey:

Ponyholder:

Mcoffey:

I hear ya. That was an intolerable wait for a port gimped by GWFL and terrible system requirements. I'm hopeful though, considering how excellent the PC version of Max Payne was.

With GFWL dead, we shouldn't have too much of an issue... hopefully.

Hooray, pirates save the day again!

Ponyholder:

GTA PC threads will always involve rants, it's the nature of the beast. I bought the PC game at launch, played it for less than an hour then uninstalled it. The news of a possible GTAV PC port tickles my fancy, so I reinstalled 4 and fully patched it. It's playable, and fun now.

Back on topic; Hard to say what this means, the games are built on PCs then ported over. It could just be left over scrap code.

Are we really so surprised? We all kinda saw it coming anyway, especially the PC version.

From the footage I've seem, the PS3 version looks great. If they do the port properly, GTA V on PC or next gen consoles will be amazing.

Next-gen version is unavoidable, but I'm still not betting on the PC. Of course I'd like to have it (if it's done properly, unlike IV). Probably all games exist at least as a PC partial port as some point. Unfortunately it doesn't mean they're going to finish and release it.

Look at all the Unreal 3 engine games. With many of them, all they'd need is to recompile it for the PC if they don't already have it.

TheScottishMexican42:
Are we really so surprised? We all kinda saw it coming anyway, especially the PC version.

Sortof, GTA4's port was pathetic and as of yet Red Dead Redemption has not been released on PC.

Max Payne 3 did get a full multi-port release but that was announced beforehand.

I wonder how much pressure Sony and co exerted on Rockstar to make a next gen port of GTA5?

Wait... Hasn't rockstar themselves said it was coming to PC and next gen or did I just assume that? Could have sworn I at least saw them say it was coming to the PC.

Pirates, as usual, not only playing game easier than legal costumers, but also being able to look it over.

Ultratwinkie:

Icehearted:

Most likely, the newer versions will have higher definition and even more peds on the streets. Because the major complaint about GTA V on leaks is how dead the sidewalks are compared to how many cars are on the streets.

I can hear the shit storm now when people feel rockstar pulled a bait and switch and the better version is the next gen version.

its possibly because you can only make so much with 512 mb of ram of old consoles, and those pedestrians take a lot of it. any normal system can handle a lot more of it.

Guitarmasterx7:
Wait... Hasn't rockstar themselves said it was coming to PC and next gen or did I just assume that? Could have sworn I at least saw them say it was coming to the PC.

so far they have been successfully avoiding any commentary on PC.

Or this could simple be because Rockstar's dev kit is multi-platform so it has the possibility to code for PS4 and PC, but they still haven't done this for reasons.

I for one will be rather annoyed if a PS4 version will be announced since I was planning to get it on PS3, but would easily have chosen the next gen if possible.

Strazdas:
Pirates, as usual, not only playing game easier than legal costumers, but also being able to look it over.

Ultratwinkie:

Icehearted:

its possibly because you can only make so much with 512 mb of ram of old consoles, and those pedestrians take a lot of it. any normal system can handle a lot more of it.

Guitarmasterx7:

so far they have been successfully avoiding any commentary on PC.

Well to be fair they also avoid any talk of PS4.

Saying "they haven't ruled it out either."

Rockstar is hiding something. Now all the avoidance for PC makes sense when they want to roll out a new version for next gen.

So all the console gamers who bought it early get screwed.

Oh noes! But won't the PC version get pirated? We can't have that!

F**k Rock* and their attitude towards PC gamers. I have no interest in buying anything from a company that has no interest in releasing it on my platform of choice (odd considering their PC roots). Not to mention GTAIV was thoroughly tedious, particularly compared with SR3. SR4 in fact has a mod kit coming out for player made mods. Bottom line:

Volition >>>> Rockstar

If it GTAV ever came to PC, I'd pick it up only if it was in a dirt cheap Steam sale.

Ultratwinkie:

Icehearted:

People that complain about that are assholes, there is a very big possiblility that there will be a PC version and a slightly less that there will be a next gen version so with that all people have to do is wait a bit, even if nothing comes out they are rewarded with a drop of price.

And about a more complete version I highly doubt it, it will be superior because of framerate and like you said more peds, cars and probably less pop ups, but those are all technical limitations by the current gen, not exactly less content.

People will whine about it but fuck them, if they werent so spoiled they could just wait a bit longer.

Pirates! Damn those scurvy sons of mothers!

On a more serious note: I assumed a port was pretty much guaranteed. But since Rockstar seem to be complete tools when it comes to timely porting I will have lost all the little interest I had in this game by the time it releases because Starbound, Terraria and Pokemon.

unstabLized:
Well this is hopeful I guess, but I won't hold my breath until it's announced and it's a better port than the god-awful GTA4 port.

This time around, the newest consoles on the block are pretty comparable to and compatible with bog standard current PC architecture. So, if they play it right, the PC version will be just as awesome as the PS4/XB1 ones. From where I am sitting, a Linux version of next-gen console games would be the most natural and simple thing.

However, there's just no guarantee for anything these strange days.

captcha: nyan cat - do you have to pay royalties for that?

Ultratwinkie:

So all the console gamers who bought it early get screwed.

BUt we already knew that anyway from the get go.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Doom972:

I'm very sure that has happened to many a game before.

I was also trying to convey that some who have yet to play it in the meantime can still buy it cheaply on the two consoles or choose to wait for however long it takes for Rockstar to decide on making a PC version.

But it wouldn't be cheaply then would it. If they didn't get it on console and want it on PC, they probably don't own a console, and never will, so it would be the cost of the game + $120ish for the console (or whatever they cost, I've never followed console pricing).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here