Rockstar: Don't Install Grand Theft Auto V Play Disc

Pages PREV 1 2

So you need to install the install disc and play the play disc?
Not the other way around?
People tried installing the play disc?
People are weird.

Yet another reason I laugh myself to sleep every night. Microsoft screwed up again. /slowclap

OT: This is old news. Highly unintuitive though.

Well, I guess I won't be getting this game for some time then. My 360 got damaged a couple years ago and now buzzes incredibly loudly when I play a game unless that game is installed. The Walking Dead disc couldn't be installed and that really put a damper on the experience for me.

I was planning on getting GTA 5 whenever I had the chance, but seeing this makes me relieved. Imagine if I got it day 1 at midnight and just installed the 'play' disc. May of not screwed me over big time, but who knows what might of happened.

Also as someone mentioned, depending on the developers and how they designed their game... sometimes it does play better by disc and not installing it to your console. Oddly, this is only aimed at the 360 as far as I read. Usually if there's a problem, the consoles and even PC at times is at risk. Huh. Well in this case, least there's no need in downloading a patch.

Grouchy Imp:

Err, that's not my experience. I've installed the 'install' disc and play the 'play' disc and other than the ~20 second boot-up time I have yet to encounter a single loading pause (other than character switching which takes a completely unacceptable three whole seconds)

You'll pardon me if I don't take you at your word, after the hyperbole here and the prior claims that people are idiots if they don't automatically assume the same things you do. It just looks like another irrational response.

Fact is, this game is relatively unique when it comes to 360 hardware. I'm not aware of another game where installation of the second disc is detrimental. Halo 3 or ODST or whatever is optimised to read from the tray, but that appears to be a different pony entirely. Another fact is that this is only an issue with one specific configuration. If you install to two separate sources, you don't have the problem. Fact is, a digital only version is for sale on two consoles, which by its nature requires reading from a single source (HDD).

At face value, there's no reason to assume "This game shouldn't be installed due to the unique (to the platform, at least) way it handles running things, even though they sell it digitally and it has to read from a single source."

The reasonable assumption is that it's not necessary, not that it's detrimental. I'm glad you don't think this is a big deal, but it would be remiss of me to let shoddy reasoning stand.

Zachary Amaranth:

Grouchy Imp:

Err, that's not my experience. I've installed the 'install' disc and play the 'play' disc and other than the ~20 second boot-up time I have yet to encounter a single loading pause (other than character switching which takes a completely unacceptable three whole seconds)

You'll pardon me if I don't take you at your word, after the hyperbole here and the prior claims that people are idiots if they don't automatically assume the same things you do. It just looks like another irrational response.

I never referred to people who do not think like me as idiots. I referred to people who fail to follow simple written instructions as idiots.

Fact is, this game is relatively unique when it comes to 360 hardware. I'm not aware of another game where installation of the second disc is detrimental. Halo 3 or ODST or whatever is optimised to read from the tray, but that appears to be a different pony entirely. Another fact is that this is only an issue with one specific configuration. If you install to two separate sources, you don't have the problem. Fact is, a digital only version is for sale on two consoles, which by its nature requires reading from a single source (HDD).

True enough. I can't think of another 360 game out there that uses this configuration either. I'll readily admit it is an odd way of doing things, but I'm not going to argue with a team of people who have spent years trying to get the most out of an aging console generation.

At face value, there's no reason to assume "This game shouldn't be installed due to the unique (to the platform, at least) way it handles running things, even though they sell it digitally and it has to read from a single source."

The reasonable assumption is that it's not necessary, not that it's detrimental. I'm glad you don't think this is a big deal, but it would be remiss of me to let shoddy reasoning stand.

Actually the reasonable assumption is for a person to assume that a developing house knows best how to optimize it's own software, rather to assume that they know better. Sorry, but it would be remiss of me to let glaring arrogance stand.

I can't see why everyone is so surprised. It's like everyone forgets it was the same with Skyrim (albeit just the single disc) until a later patch: choppy gameplay and framerate issues when playing from a hdd install.

Elvaril:
Well, I guess I won't be getting this game for some time then. My 360 got damaged a couple years ago and now buzzes incredibly loudly when I play a game unless that game is installed. The Walking Dead disc couldn't be installed and that really put a damper on the experience for me.

Don't delay your purchase if you want the game, like the article says:
Don't install the disc 2: Play.
Install disc 1: Install.
Play disc 2: Play.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: