Diablo III Auction House Closing Down

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Blizzard: Please keep the Online play requirement. I want to see how many comments there will be with people complaining about it.

Seriously, a majority of the decent PC games these days are MMOs, or a game with an online component. You use Steam? You're online anyway (yes, I know offline mode). There is -no- real reason to have it offline.

The RMAH was clearly an abject disaster from day one, but I've always quite liked the gold house (not for flipping, I just like getting rid of the useless stuff I find that someone else might want, while also quickly grabbing little bits I need) and I'll be one of the few that misses it.

If it's the first step to removing the always-online dependency though, I'll have to be for it; I really want to enjoy hardcore, but two deaths to lag spikes have been enough to convince me that it's not worth it.

Huh, well I guess I have to stop ranting about being the Beta Tester for Diablo 3 for 60 bucks while the consoles got the good version.

I mean it would have been nice to have had this implemented awhile ago, but still good on Bliz for recognizing, admitting and fixing a fairly fundamental problem with the game. A lot of companies would just have plowed on and give the Diablo franchise up for dead, but Bliz seems to be actually trying to keep it going by listening to feedback

The Auction House could have been a great idea, but I hate how it became necessary if you wanted to keep your character geared, since none of the monsters ever dropped anything that was useful to you at that level. I used to save up all the stuff I would find to hand down to an alternate toon, but after a while, item drops became pointless. I never found anything useful for my character, and the one time I got a really great item it wasn't for my class.

I'll certainly take another crack at the game if my item drop experience is more in-line with Diablo 2's, but it's a little weird to pull the plug on the Auction House entirely. There's really no reason they can't have the Gold AH AND have their Loot 2.0 system.

I bought Diablo III just after launch and got a refund about a week after that. Now it's starting to sound like a game I'd want to play, assuming loot 2.0 reflects a good arpg item drop system, but it's far too late for me to do anything but make some popcorn in advance of the expansion sales numbers coming out.

Makabriel:
Blizzard: Please keep the Online play requirement. I want to see how many comments there will be with people complaining about it.

Seriously, a majority of the decent PC games these days are MMOs, or a game with an online component. You use Steam? You're online anyway (yes, I know offline mode). There is -no- real reason to have it offline.

Never experiencing lag while playing alone is a pretty good reason.

Any news on removing the Always Online? Because hitting lag in a single player game isn't fun.

Weaver:
Why is anyone still playing Diablo 3? I know there's a new expansion on the way, but why would anyone still be grinding it out for hours a day?

some people enjoy playing videogames for enjoyment

Cool, I'm looking forward trying another playthrough once all the changes are implemented. I'm curious how high a level you need to be to start feeling the changes.

Maybe they'll actually reverse the global loot nerf they implemented shortly after launch. You know, the nerf that happened because of the Auction houses.

Aeshi:
Oh yes, I'm certainly going to enjoy either grinding millions of gems one by one or spending about an hour finding somebody who will trade them just so I can even remotely come close to crafting one of the higher-tier gems as opposed to just selecting the gem I want to buy, typing in how many I want to buy and pressing "Buyout"

I'm certainly gonna enjoy checking about 80 different Legendaries that people are offering one by one with almost zero ability to compare any of them to each other to see if they're better than mine rather than just selecting what sort of item I want, typing in the stats and seeing what happens to be available to buy.

I'm certainly going to enjoy being bombarded by spambots advertising the 3rd party sites that will ensure this doesn't actually change anything.

This is just a pathetic attempt to satisfy the "I can't beat the game, it must be because of the eeeeeeeviiiiiillll RMAH and nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm a mouthbreather who can't operate the keyboard and the mouse at the same time without suffocating" crowd

Sounds like you never played D2. Well you can go play some CoD and buy all their cool gun camo since you like doing that so much.

LordLundar:
Maybe they'll actually reverse the global loot nerf they implemented shortly after launch. You know, the nerf that happened because of the Auction houses.

If you've followed any news besides this on what they're doing with loot (or even the changes they've already made), you probably wouldn't have to write that comment :P

OT:
Yay!

Kind of. I never used it anyway, so I'm fairly indifferent about the whole affair. It just means I won't feel like I HAVE to use it just to be functional on the higher difficulties in the game. It might also bring back farming a previous act for viable gear, which could be interesting.

Aeshi:
Oh yes, I'm certainly going to enjoy either grinding millions of gems one by one or spending about an hour finding somebody who will trade them just so I can even remotely come close to crafting one of the higher-tier gems as opposed to just selecting the gem I want to buy, typing in how many I want to buy and pressing "Buyout"

I'm certainly gonna enjoy checking about 80 different Legendaries that people are offering one by one with almost zero ability to compare any of them to each other to see if they're better than mine rather than just selecting what sort of item I want, typing in the stats and seeing what happens to be available to buy.

I'm certainly going to enjoy being bombarded by spambots advertising the 3rd party sites that will ensure this doesn't actually change anything.

This is just a pathetic attempt to satisfy the "I can't beat the game, it must be because of the eeeeeeeviiiiiillll RMAH and nothing at all to do with the fact that I'm a mouthbreather who can't operate the keyboard and the mouse at the same time without suffocating" crowd

Hey, now it's exactly like Diablo II!

Not playing the game is also always an option. '

Hmmm. There seems to be a growing chance that I'll end up with a copy of the game now...

Money grubbing can only last so long before you destroy that which sustained you in the first place. Usually it's the greater greed of the people around you that brings you down. So it was with the auction house. Blizzards eyes grew big and dilated from the mere thought of sharing in the thousands of dollars spent daily on items by their many fans. They however did not anticipate the greed of the Asian gold farmers, the exploiters and the good old grinders. They brought hat economy down before Blizzard could taste the first drop of sweet revenue.

Not to mention that the game was horrible because it was centred around the RMAH, making the game nothing more than window dressing to prod money out of you.

Anyway Ding Dong the witch is dead!

Once again this just goes to show that you should not go all-in and claim that a feature is essential to the core experience and thus can't be removed when it clearly can. I'd say Simcity's always online is next on the chopping block.

I among the minority who greatly opposes this decision. The prospect of making money for enjoying my hobby was a fantastic one that I really hoped would spread through the gaming industry. Now that a major company has tried it and failed, I doubt we'll see it pop up ever again.

I loved that the RMAH funded my entire gaming hobby in 2013. The game accomplished this without my having to break the ToS in any way. I didn't flip to win, I didn't pay to win, bot, exploit or dupe, I just played the game and gradually sold good items I farmed as they cropped up. The RMAH was the single greatest thing to ever happen to my gaming hobby.

The AH itself took a tedious task and made it an enjoyable one. When I play Diablo 3, I'll spend less than 5 minutes a day in the AH and hours playing the game. Remove the AH and what does trade become?
- Spamming your items faster than others can spam theirs
- No longer understanding the value of items unless you are completely devoted to the game
- Opening up numerous trade scams which have NEVER been patched by Blizzard since game launch
- Having flippers take advantage of casual/noob gamers who don't have an easy way to value their gear
- Spending hours to trade items where it used to take minutes
- Dealing with constant low ball offers and trolls with any post they find 'offensive'

Put simply. I've never had a positive online game trading experience before. Not in Diablo 2, not in any MMO I've ever played. The experience is terrible and time consuming.

The removal of the AH for me is a HUGE step backwards. I really wish Blizzard would have continued to iterate on the AH and find a better solution to promote playing the game over playing the AH. Each patch released made the AH feel less required as well. Right now you can play the game self-found and be successful at the game. The feature is optional and the amount of grind required to find upgrades will only shrink with the Loot 2.0 update.

I'm in the severe minority though so hurray for the return of an archaic and heavily flawed trading system.

Makabriel:

Orthy? What are you doing here?

And I suppose wanting to avoid lag in a single player game, wanting to play on the go, or just wanting to play if the internet is down or if maybe the company's servers are down. Imagine if Planescape: Torment was always online. No one would be able to play it anymore because Black Isle has gone under. What if the PS3 as a whole was always online. People would have been shit out of luck for about a month during the hack. At the end of the day, when something being always online adds nothing to a single player experience, then it is a terrible addition to the game.

Naw, they won't remove the always online requirement; they don't really care. All that's going on here is that the RMAH is no longer as profitable for Blizzard, so they're pulling the plug to avoid paying maintenance expenses.

I beat Inferno with a Monk about a year ago, largely using gear off the GAH, sometimes getting quite lucky sniping. I never really farmed, and I think I had maybe two exceptional drops that, though useless for my Monk, sold for something like 9M and 24M gold.

After Inferno, I started playing Hardcore toons. Instead of focusing on just one class, I leveled one of each class roughly in parallel, so that whatever gear I found could potentially be used by my other toons. The thing about Hardcore is that, since toons can be killed, that served as a means of recycling gear out of the game. I always felt that there needed to be a "bind on equip" feature, like lotro, whereby you could sell an item on the AH so long as it hasn't been worn.

I gave up on D3 and Blizzard when they introduced, without warning, those three (I forget) special boss sentinels. For Hardcore, that was disastrous for many players because they would unexpectedly encounter an unbalanced boss that was beyond their ability. I encountered the one on the Plains of Misery (thereabouts), and not realizing what it was simply thought it was some sort of Elite. I suppose I was fortunate that my Hardcore Monk was fairly well equipped, but other players no so much.

If they ever get around to allowing fully offline play, they might get a sale from me.

Until then, I'll have to content myself with offerings like the Torchlight series and Supergiant's latest.

Now when they don't remove the online requirement, I can continue not buying the game. I'm Australian, my internet cant deal with that shit.

So the AH is gone on March 18th 2014.

Sounds like a date for Reaper of Souls release.

Aeshi:

Some of us just want to play the game. The always online got in the way of doing that so much that I stop bothering to play. I have no issues with a RMH in principle, but when it disrupts my ability to play due to the online crap for SP it becomes an issue.

Seems Captain Obvious has finally gotten around to visit Actizzard. Are they trying to save face from some disaster I've missed?
Well, still won't buy the expansion.

Captcha: Raise Cain

Eheheheheeeee

Personal opinion here, but Diablo 3 came out just before Mists of Pandaria. And up until now, Activision Blizzard was pretty much flipping the middle finger at the majority of their players who tried this game. Now that people are don't believing in Blizzard and taking their money elsewhere, Blizzard is suddenly removing a "Fundamental part of the game"?

Sorry but I suspect this move is too little too late. And isn't it funny how they said they are removing the auction house, but not the mandatory online login just to play single player? They are still flipping the bird, but doing it under half appeasement in hopes of getting customers back. They are quite literally in panic mode right now. The numbers for customers present and future must be pretty bleak right about now.

Yes yes yes so much yes! I really enjoyed my first playthrough of Diablo 3 (I didn't enjoy nightmare because that's when you started needing to have consistently good gear and thus, I had to keep running to the auction house, which I hated). I honestly enjoyed Diablo 3 more than Torchlight 2 (I know I know, I'm a horrible person), but because of the shitty loot system, I didn't have much reason to play through more than once. Now I'll finally have a reason to jump back in

That's the thing with these always-on games, it was totally worth waiting almost 2 years to now buy the game in its "real, true state". I had a bad feeling about buying it at launch, and now it's starting to look more and more like something I could enjoy.

I'd like to say it makes the game not suck but...it doesn't. It has a long way to go.

Aeshi:
while playing as a Demon Hunter (which is near universally considered the worse class) to boot

Wait... you're serious?

You realize that demon hunters had skills like Vault, which was, in literally every aspect, vastly superior to the defensive skills available to *any other class*, including the Wizard's teleport, which featured a shared energy pool with attack skills, a longer cooldown, and less utility. And the ultimate irony? Vault wasn't even popular because DH had even better abilities, like a 2 second literal invincibility that let you stand still and eat the most powerful attacks without even moving or attempting to dodge. And when Blizzard realized this, they halved the duration of Smoke Screen... and it was *still* better than Vault and any other skill on any other class.

Damage? DH was top, hands down. With the exception of the very early Wizard gimmick that used Force Armor to ignore lethal attacks and dumped all of its stats on int, crit and crit damage before being nerfed, DH outperformed any other class with a variety of skills, the most used obviously being Nether Tentacles, which hit every mob multiple times for tremendous damage, could be spammed indefinitely without running out of energy, had a big enough hitbox to clear out corridors by simply firing down the middle of them, and also gave you life back with every damage tick.

And this is the "worse class?" What? For 6+ months, Barbs and Monks couldn't even be used in a3/4 inferno without instantly dying to random autoattacks. Wizards were like DH but with objectively, mathematically worse skills for defense and offense (and the additional problem of all their skills drawing from the same resource pool, a problem DH avoids by having one specifically for defense and one for offense). The odd man out was WD, who had a single gimmick (bear spamming) that sort of worked maybe a little bit if you could gear for it and if you really liked only ever using one build for everything. DH had multiple attack and defensive skills that were so hilariously better than anything available on other classes I didn't know why anyone even played them.

I made the mistake of getting a wizard up to 60 first, and spent the majority of my time and money gearing him out. When I leveled up a DH for the fuck of it, and with a fraction of the gear, he was already out-damaging my wizard and had none of the survivability issues thanks to literal invincibility that didn't require gearing for.

DH and Wizard were the only ones reasonably capable of clearing Inferno on release. DH was objectively better at it simply because Smoke Screen was 10/10 ridiculous, and the higher damage and crit chance obviously helped. The melee classes stood no chance, and WD required a toooon of gear to be able to spam enough bears to do it. But I'm not sure how you figure DH is even remotely "the worst class" when it was the most incredibly, nonsensically broken one on release. Either you're playing it really, really wrong or they've nerfbatted the hell out of Smoke Screen, Vault, Chakram, Elemental Arrow, Spike Trap, Multishot, and the passive Sharpshooter, all of which put DH on a level of its own when compared to the other classes.

Steven Bogos:

Weaver:
Why is anyone still playing Diablo 3? I know there's a new expansion on the way, but why would anyone still be grinding it out for hours a day?

Man, you gotta get yourself an avatar. Here. Use this one.

It's the avatar I used to use. Still use it on a lot of sites. Use it--you must! That would make my day. You wanna make my day, right? 'cause if you don't, I'm gonna be sad, and you'll ruin my day.

Anyway... on topic... good on Blizzard. Little late, but better late than never. The AH defeated the entire purpose of the game, in my opinion. The drop rates were so awful, there wasn't really an alternative. You knew your chances of getting an even decent item were in the millions, so why even bother? You buy the gear you need to beat inferno, and you're done, if you fight through the boredom and make it that far.

The fun of these games is the drops. You kill monsters to get drops. You equip the drops and kill stronger monsters to get better drops. Repeat until you have the best gear and have killed the strongest mobs. Only, in this game, it was more like killing the mobs to get gold so you could go to the AH and buy the drops wanted.

Shit, it was like a second job; kill monsters, get gold, spend gold on nice clothes.

The combat was super fun, and honestly, I loved the skill/rune system, but that was D3's only redeeming quality. RoS looks to be shaping up quite well.

While good news, I still enjoy my t-shirt for this game, than the game itself

IamGamer41:

Sounds like you never played D2. Well you can go play some CoD and buy all their cool gun camo since you like doing that so much.

I have played D2, it's just that unlike most I don't have the 10-20 years of nostalgic bullshit that seems to come free with that. Unlike most I fail to see the difference between:

- Hordes of Frozen Hammer spammers with "enough points in Strength and Dexterity to meet gear requirements and everything else into Vitality" builds grinding Baal endlessly for gear to sell on eBay/D2JSP and "Demons lords are freed by plot stupidity, you must go get the Crystal Macguffin before they do (spoiler alert: you fail)"

and:

- Hordes of Whirlwind/Rapid Fire spammers with "+3 points into Damage stat, +2 into Vitality and +1 to everything else per level" builds grinding Act 3/4 endlessly for gear to sell on RMAH/eBay/D3JSP "Demons lords are around, you must go get the Crystal Macguffin to stop them (spoiler alert: it doesn't work because of plot stupidity)"

CrossLOPER:

Hey, now it's exactly like Diablo II!

Not playing the game is also always an option. '

Precisely, now it's going to be like Diablo II, a tedious bore that relies mostly on dumb luck actively punishes you if you dare to try and actually accomplish something worthwhile.

I mean, what am I supposed to do when I want a new weapon? Go "WTB a [Calamity] with +1.33 Hatred Regen, +10 Discipline and a DPS of 1200 or greater?" I don't see many people bothering to respond to that, and out of the people who do I doubt any of them will want to wait for me to compare every offer I get to every other offer I get (plus my current weapon) first.

And yeah, somebody's probably gonna read this and go "oh but with Loot 2.0 you won't need to do that to get good gear", but there's a key word in that sentence:

"Good (enough) gear"

Prehaps "good (enough) gear" is enough for those of us who are content with being mediocre, but for those of us who want "Great" gear this is just making the process of doing so about 8 times more tedious for no purpose other than to humor the screaming children who can't tolerate the idea that somebody out there has better gear than them, and I think that might be the real point of this update.

I don't think this change has anything to do with the RMAH supposedly "getting in the way of Diablo's core gameplay" especially since I'm willing to be D2's RMAH(s) probably got more traffic in a month than D3's has in a year. I think this change is about spite.

It's the idiots who are content with "good enough" looking at the players who've spent enough time playing to get "Great" gear and going "I don't have that, so I don't want anyone else to be able to have it either" and then going "Plz delete all the gear of everyone that's used the AH, ever because even after it's gone there might still be people who are better than me" for good measure.

Haha, lol and lmao. I think that's about all there is to say about it. GFD Blizz are a bunch of idiots, no duh the AH system wasn't going to work as they intended. We told them this before the game's launch. We have been telling them this since the game's launch.

Hmmm... this decision is suspiciously sensible...does this also mean the always on requirement will also go since that was more or less the real reason for that.

But seriously, I get the feeling this is less of a 'we see the error of our ways' and more of a 'the AH isn't making enough to pay the server costs' Just get rid of it and let them run the game locally.'

Either way, it's not a bad move. I suspect the long delay in doing so will essentially allow thenm to cash in on all the people trying to grind and sell and buy stuff before the AH goes down.. Does this mean we'll get a WoW expack soon that actually deepens the gameplay experience.

"When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a convenient and secure system for trades."

BULLSHIT. Anyone who played the game when it launched could see that game itself was built around AH, or more specifically RMAH. If you wanted to progress beyond certain point you were forced to buy stuff at AH as drop rates were ridiculous.

That said, I think D3 is moving in the right direction, fixing a lot of things that were wrong with the game. A week after it came out I became increasingly disgusted with it and gave it up, now I am thinking I might pick it up again.

BarbaricGoose:

Steven Bogos:

Weaver:

Man, you gotta get yourself an avatar. Here. Use this one.

Thanks, but the system hates me. I've tried to set an avatar a couple times and it never works. I poke the IT guys about it but they just tell me to deal so I gave up

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here