Grand Theft Auto V Sells $800 Million On Launch Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grand Theft Auto V Sells $800 Million On Launch Day

grand theft auto v screenshot 2

The $800 million rung up by Grand Theft Auto V in its first day of sales make it the most successful launch in videogame history.

It's no surprise that an awful lot of people picked up Grand Theft Auto V on launch day, but day-one sales in excess of $800 million is still absolutely staggering. And that number excludes Japan and Brazil, where the game hasn't yet launched.

"Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence," said Take-Two Chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick. "Beginning at midnight on Monday, consumers around the world gathered in anticipation to be among the first to experience the evolution of this remarkable series. In North America alone, more than 8,300 stores opened their doors at midnight to welcome fans whose loyalty and enthusiasm were rewarded with what The New York Times called 'the most immersive spectacle in interactive entertainment'. We are incredibly proud of Rockstar Games' creative achievement and could not be more pleased with the success of this launch."

The $800 million mark makes Grand Theft Auto V not only the best-launching game in Take-Two history, but also handily surpasses the previous all-time record-holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which put up sales of $500 million in its first 24 hours of release. It still holds the mark for "fastest to $1 billion in sales," at 15 days, but since Grand Theft Auto V is almost there on its first day, I wouldn't expect that one to hold for very long either.

This is the most successful launch in the history of any piece of entertainment. It's almost unbelievable. By the end of the first week they will quadrupole (maybe more) what they had spent to make it. I expected it to sell better than GTA IV, but not like this. What an achievement.

O_O woooooooooooooooooooooow

It's funny to think that people thought Rockstar was crazy and would go bankrupt for releasing a game so late in the console cycle, especially after only announcing for current gen systems. 'Flailing woes of a once mighty giant, aged to the point of irrelevancy' my butt.

No, they probably didn't say that; yes, people have been asking the question for a few years now. (http://www.explosion.com/3307/is-grand-theft-auto-still-relevant/)

Impressive, nearly all retailers around Ireland ran out of copies and had to have a resupply, which is selling fast, the midnight launch in my little town was pretty impressive.

Impressive to see the game do so well.

I can't say it was unpredictable but i really don't understand what the mass appeal is with this game.

Dolla dolla bills, yo.

That's some mad paper, makes one's head spin.

Impressive that a single player game now holds that record, shows EA/Activision a thing or two ;D

Holy friggin' shit. That's a lot of cake, and deservedly so. Well, in my opinion at least. Played for 5 hours today and did one story mission. I was never bored, there's just so much stuff to do.

They are slowly running out of excuses to not make a PC version. A proper one please.

Must be one fun party over there at rockstar though.

Starting a betting pool for the specific date that EA announces their new open-world crime sandbox IP.

I've dibs on September 19th, 2013.

Captcha: "easy street"

Yes it is, Captcha. Yes it is...

Fuck me. It's kind of staggering to think that something this massive started all those years ago in my hometown, and remains in Scotland to this day.

Nationalistic pride, ho!

Longstreet:
They are slowly running out of excuses to not make a PC version. A proper one please.

Have they said why they haven't?

I've not read or heard any reason why they have kept quiet about doing it or not.

A yes we are or a no we aint will do me, just wanna know simple really

Wow, 800 Million, that's unbelievable. I was sure it would sell pretty well but this is beyond anything I'd thought.

Andy Shandy:
It's kind of staggering to think that something this massive started all those years ago in my hometown, and remains in Scotland to this day.

Nationalistic pride, ho!

I walk past their offices every so often. Woot woot! They certainly keep a low profile in Edinburgh though. Still, awesome city to be a dev in.

Omega500:

Longstreet:

I've not read or heard any reason why they have kept quiet about doing it or not.

A yes we are or a no we aint will do me, just wanna know simple really

I am on a tight budget, and I already pre-ordered Beyond2Souls and Vigilante edition of WatchDogs, so unless there will be a PC version announced anytime be4 the release of Shadow Warrior reboot I might be left out for a while.
Oh, well the game bundle sales will keep me company!

And some people thought that they wouldn't make their money back...Jesus Christ. And the PC port isn't even certain yet.

Eight Hundred MIIIIIILLION dollars!

Sorry, couldn't help it xD

OT: very impressive... though, it makes me wonder, how long will it be till we no longer see such records being set? The gaming industry can't go on forever setting ridiculously high sales like this... how long will it be before the decline?

Just ran the numbers: $800MM at $60 retail per unit = 13.3 million units

I wonder how many of those were pre-order.

Also, there seemed to be plenty of stock available on retail shelves yesterday, so that certainly helped with genuine first-day sales.

If there was any game that could kick CoD right in its sensitive area, it would be GTA. No series has garnered as much public, mainstream attention as GTA other than Mario and Zelda.

In some ways, this was predictable, but for me, I had sincere doubts that this would actually happen seeing as how CoD's revenue kept growing exponentially, then GTAV comes along and blows it out of the water.

This is a pleasant surprise for me, and I hope that it starts making the industry try to ape GTA again rather than linear dudebro ironsights simulators, after all, it was GTA clones that brought us Saints Row.

Judging by the current trend by publishers these days, they'll still say it was a failure a couple months from now.

Omega500:

They are almost certainly making PC, PS4 and Xbone versions of GTA V.

There's a good Pach Attack on Gametrailers where he explains the reasons they haven't announced any of them yet. At it's most basic it's because they (Take 2 and Rockstar) have a lot of money at stake in GTA V and they want the sales straight away, they absolutely do not want people holding off for the PC/XBone/PS4 version as that leaves time for hype/spoilers/piracy to eat chunks out of their potential sales.

As it is, there are 150 million PS3/360s out there right now, they only need a fraction of that and the game is financially sound (it seems to be just that now a day later). Once the new consoles are out a next gen version will no doubt get announced (haven't those published screenshots looked suspiciously good for PS3/360 games?), by that point they no longer present a financial or sales risk to the current gen version.

I'll bring this up next time someone complains about dev costs being too high. With this kind of market, you really can spend tens or even hundreds of millions making a game and make a profit.

Ok, I take back anything I said about them being silly for spending so much on making the game. And they are going to destroy the previous record by a mile on top of making an arse load of money.

That said, this bit sounds bullshit:

Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence

It's GTA. There isn't much innovation going on regardless of how much cash it has raked in, unless an online mode is the innovation. I think he meant this:

Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, making way more money in one day than that Cowl of Dirty thing or whatever it's called. Up yours Kotick! YOLO!

MinionJoe:
Just ran the numbers: $800MM at $60 retail per unit = 1.3 million units

Try 13 million and you'll get a little closer to the truth.

This is quite staggering news, so much that I question whether or not there has been a typo somewhere.

In any case, good on R* for their successful launch

MinionJoe:

Maybe you made a typo. It's 13 million units. And I think I read that they had 2.4 million pre-orders a couple of months before release.

That's a nice sales figure. I'll be waiting on my PC version though. I want to play this thing in full graphics and smooth framerates without having to resort to partial HDD loading and disc reading at the same time to make it work.

They will be porting this game to PS4 and Xbone soon most likely and before that probably a PC version to maximize profits.

200 million is a steep pricetag and I blissfully ignored any reviews or stories people have about this game because I want to see what the game is first hand. Is it another bi-polar mess like GTA's story line. Where the characters and the story were excellent had they been in any other game.

MinionJoe:

Also, there seemed to be plenty of stock available on retail shelves yesterday, so that certainly helped with genuine first-day sales.

You kinda making a mistake there. They never make that $60 per game. With all the other cost taken out, they only make maybe $22-$25 per $60 game. So if it were $25 it would be around 32M units.

Xariat:
Try 13 million and you'll get a little closer to the truth.

Adam Jensen:
Maybe you made a typo. It's 13 million units.

Yeah, thanks for catching that. Crummy calculator couldn't handle hundreds of millions and I didn't properly refactor the answer.

kiri2tsubasa:
They never make that $60 per game. With all the other cost taken out, they only make maybe $22-$25 per $60 game. So if it were $25 it would be around 32M units.

They "sold" $800 Million of GTA V units. The sold figure does not take into account production costs. If they'd announced an $800MM net profit, then you would be absolutely correct.

Interesting that the pre-orders seem to be just a small percentage of the day one sales (2.4MM out of 13.3MM, or 18%).

Unless that's actually 180%. ;P

Stupid calculator.

Bad Jim:
I'll bring this up next time someone complains about dev costs being too high. With this kind of market, you really can spend tens or even hundreds of millions making a game and make a profit.

Trouble is, this, Fifa, Call of Duty, Madden and Battlefield are the only series that can justify this kind of budget (maybe Mass Effect and Valve's games, but Valve are industry freaks).

Every other 'triple A' can shift between one and five million units, it's pretty consistent across entire series.
Dead Space, Crysis, Burnout, Need for Speed, Tomb Raider and so on always get between one and five million sales. The budget's got to reflect that or you get Tomb Raider style insanity where five million sales is still a failure.

MinionJoe:
Interesting that the pre-orders seem to be just a small percentage of the day one sales (2.4MM out of 13.3MM, or 18%).

Note, that was a couple of months before release. It could have been significantly higher days before release.

MinionJoe:
Just ran the numbers: $800MM at $60 retail per unit = 13.3 million units

They only need to be making eighteen or so dollars per sale and they're already in profit after a day, blimey!

Am I the only one around here who finds GTA repulsive? I love the idea of open-world, but unless I play the entire game muted and skip every disgusting cut-scene, I just feel dirty playing the game.

And before everyone labels me, I am not a particularly conservative person, I am not religious, I'm not a Republican (I'm not even American) and I don't equate video games with real-life violence.

finally, now fucking call of duty doesnt hold that record.

AldUK:
Am I the only one around here who finds GTA repulsive? I love the idea of open-world, but unless I play the entire game muted and skip every disgusting cut-scene, I just feel dirty playing the game.

And before everyone labels me, I am not a particularly conservative person, I am not religious, I'm not a Republican (I'm not even American) and I don't equate video games with real-life violence.

Eh I guess there's a few of us. I mean if it's open world vehicular carnage I loved the Carmageddon games back in the day, but while there are things I'd certainly admire about the series playing the gangsta/thug life has never appealed to me. Same thing with shows The Godfather, Goodfella's, Scarface, Sopranos, and so on. The fact that this is a genre that tends to be widely popular means there some form of romanticized appeal to the mobster lifestyle, but I've just never felt it. To me these organizations/people are scumbags that are a plague on our society and their popularity in media has always left me conflicted.

double post...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or