PlayStation App is Facebook for PlayStation

PlayStation App is Facebook for PlayStation

playstation app

Sony has unveiled "PlayStation App" for smartphones and tablets, bring social media functions to the PlayStation.

At this year's Tokyo Game Show, Sony's Masayasu Ito and Shuhei Yoshida unveiled a new social networking initiative for the PlayStation, entitled "PlayStation App". You can download the App for your smartphone or tablet, and use it to keep up-to-date on all the going ons within your friends on the PlayStation network. It's essentially Facebook but for PlayStation, much akin to Battlefield's Battlelog, or Call of Duty's Elite, but for all of your PlayStation games.

With PlayStation App, you can send out game invites to your friends, live stream gameplay, and even connect to your PS4 to be used as a "second screen" much akin to Microsoft's SmartGlass and the Wii U's tablet screen.

Yoshida demonstrated the second screen functionality live using one of PlayStation's Play Room AR games. He drew pictures on his phone and was able to "fling" them into the game world.

PlayStation App will connect seamlessly to NicoNico (Japan's version of YouTube) and other social networks, allowing you to broadcast your gaming habits for the whole world to see.

Ito stressed that it is incredibly important for Sony to capture the "casual" market with the PS4, and the PlayStation App is one of their strategies for this.

Another strategy announced is the option for gamers to use their full name as their PSN account. He did stress that this was completely optional, but explained that casual gamers get confused by "gamertags", and need to see a friend's real name to understand that it is really them.

Steven Bogos:
Another strategy announced is the option for gamers to use their full name as their PSN account. He did stress that this was completely optional, but explained that casual gamers get confused by "gamertags", and need to see a friend's real name to understand that it is really them.

I actually think Blizzard has done the best job in this regard with their Battle.net real friend thing. All my close friends get to see my real name across any game, but those I just randomly friend or meet in game only see my tag.

The last thing people want when playing anonymously online is for PS to pull a YouTube popup "Do you want us to tell the world your real name? No? Ok, we'll ask you again later, indefinitely and forever." I wonder how entirely optional they mean when they say "entirely optional?" There are increasing number of countries that always require the use of a real name online and it's shown to cut down on cyber bullying, but until that becomes mandatory across the board I don't expect this feature to really ever be used.

Sony: "Use ALL the innovations!"
Seriously, PS4 is having a camera like Kinect, a remote play option with Vita like the Wii U Gamepad, and now this. They also still have Move, the Wiimote-like controller.

Xman490:
Seriously, PS4 is having a camera like Kinect, a remote play option with Vita like the Wii U Gamepad, and now this. They also still have Move, the Wiimote-like controller.

Technology like art is not entirely about originality, it's about doing it better than the other guy, and not shoving it down consumers necks. Sounds a bit Fanboy-ish, but fuck it if there isn't some truth to it.

Xman490:

The move is a better eye toy, which came before the Wii.

MrHide-Patten:

Xman490:

Technology like art is not entirely about originality, it's about doing it better than the other guy, and not shoving it down consumers necks. Sounds a bit Fanboy-ish, but fuck it if there isn't some truth to it.

That's why I used the word "Use" instead of "Steal" and the word "like" a few times. I'm just saying the innovations are similar and its funny how many bells and whistles (so to speak) the PlayStation devices are using, not that the innovations better either way.

Xman490:

Can't be surprised they have a camera like the Kinect, considering the eyetoy was out on PS2 and the Kinect was copying Sony :-P.

OT: Sounds good, as long as it doesn't constantly bug you to set your real name like YT does.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here