Molyneux Not Impressed by GTA V's Sales

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

thiosk:
Both GTAV and these mobile titles pale in comparison to cookie clicker

commence the grandmapocalypse

D:
No! I just found a way to stop playing that game, why must you link it! The Grandma's, they're pure evil! >.<

OT: Oh Peter, I'd say you were jealous, but you're so stuck up about yourself and your own games that you'd somehow take it that I was praising you. :P

Proverbial Jon:
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

So, the question is... when did he become such a douche?

He's been a liar for a long time, making empty promises about the Fable games and whatnot, now he's bit of a dick on top of that.

Rockstar made back all the money they spent on GTA5 before a single copy was sold. Godus has been slammed by pretty much everyone who's played it. Ya jelly, Molyneux?

Peter is just mad that theirs no chickens in GTA V.

Joking aside, he does strike some points, Mobile gaming is growing, and sales for mobile phone like games does exceed those of GTA, but Peter we're talking about video games sales like right now, not over a week or month. That to me is pretty impressive.

Teoes:
Put your money where your mouth is, Mr Over-Promise-Under-Deliver - if it doesn't impress you, surely you can do better?

Dammit now I have Shania Twain stuck in my head.

So you got the brains, but do you have the touch? Now, don't get me wrong, yeah, I think you're all right. But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night.

Sorry, I had to.

OT: Yeah, not much to say. High standards. Might explain all of his overhyping.

Cognimancer:
Peter Molyneux, Fable creator and Maker of Promises, thinks Grand Theft Auto V's record-shattering sales this week are "not impressive."

Why is Molyneux now known as the "Fable creator"? Fable was crap (the new one, not the old one). Populous was awesome. Maybe he doesn't want to be known as the "Populous creator" because he can't make anything as good anymore. The pressure's too much.

I've had it with Molyneux. I refuse to play a single game he has been involved in from now, which isn't going to be hard because the quality of his games have nose-dived.
Don't be a dick, Peter.

I have finally identified what I hate about Peter Molyneux... he is a professional hipster. He literally makes his living off of talking a big game and smack talking other people. He has not delivered on a game in long long time. He is literally jealous. It's the only explanation. I, overall, have a bit of disdain for Rockstar, but you literally have to be dead not to be impressed by what they have pulled off with GTAV.

Asshole. The products I like to support are the ones that don't want to make millions in revenue every day. They want to sell and have a base of satisfied, dedicated players enjoying them. Not fucking squeezing them every day for a few more arbitrary resources and pumping out levels so they can't stop, and that's what the majority of mobile gaming is. It's disgraceful that that should be compared unfavourably to a game that can justify months of playtime without limiting player time or feeling the need to charge again. Yes, the larger games generally have some sort of DLC bullshit going on, but mobile games that push microtransactions are despicable. I genuinely believe that some of the people playing aren't even enjoying them and are just pulled along by constant expansion and social integration, and if a player isn't willing to pay, they get a kneecapped experience and are turned into just another way to lure more players in, with resource giving and collaboration over Facebook helping the game reach a broader audience of potential wallets. They are the shallowest, most disingenuous shit and even with all the trappings of large games, I can't believe someone would look at any AAA game and think that mobile games are an improvement in any way other than financially. Even CoD.

(Note that this is not all mobile games. Super Crate Box and Waking Mars are both excellent games that don't need microtransactions and don't use them. Infinity Blade 2 is somewhat dubious in that you're doing entire runs in an effort to earn money for your next weapon some way into the game, but it could just be bad pacing, and the core gameplay does stand on its own. Angry Birds is pretty decent but Rovio's getting worse, putting powerups intrusively on the screen and that daily reward bullshit, and eagles which are basically non-replenishable outside of purchasing and still displayed as equal to the star rating, and don't get me started on the Star Wars one...but yes, not ALL mobile games.)

One other thing to consider is that GTA5's $265M budget was just for production. The marketing budget was likely twice that number, so back in reality, $800M is even less impressive considering that was the breakeven point.

Proverbial Jon:
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

I'm asking that question myself, I always liked the guy but recently.. eh.

You have to love Peter Molyneux. You don't have to agree with him, but you have to love him.

And let's not forget to join Peter in weeping over how the poor, poor Xbox One was treated so cruelly and unfairly by gamers.

And for the love of God, Peter, don't start comparing mobile and console games. That's how we ended up with microtransactions in Dead Space 3.

Oh the tears, they are sweet from this thread.

"waaaah, he promised to much 10 years ago! His statement is flawed in the modern world!"
"waaaah, GTA V is bigger and better than his game! He was no point!"

I swear, suddenly not being impressed by game sales is suddenly a heinous crime? grow the fuck up. Its just a game, a game you aren't even making money off of. It doesn't need to be defended if its not benefiting you personally.

I used to think the stereotype of gamers being angry misogynist neck beards in the basement was just a 1980s stereotype. However when gamers cry bloody murder over a damn 9/10 score (because a woman had the *gasp* boldness to open her mouth), cry over not being impressed by relative sales numbers of other sectors of the industry, and insult the very people that give them games I can't help but think the stereotype has a point. What exactly are gamers doing now that doesn't give in the very image the media branded us with? Fucking nothing. Not a good way to get more people into the hobby if this is the toxic, overzealous, knee jerk "community" they must deal with. We haven't exactly been showing our best side over this last year.

Peter is right:

Mobile gaming is eating gaming's future. Sales indicate what is more popular, and mobile gaming blows GTA V and everything else out of the water. If we don't find an answer to counter mobile gaming, then we become irrelevant.

You people are missing the main point: GTA V can't even top mobile gaming in pure profits. That is the important and scary part. Not that peter didn't give you your dynamic animal penises in Black and White 2.

If we don't find an answer to mobile gaming, then we are in deep shit. because right now if our biggest franchises can't even put a dent into the new version of gaming, than our version of gaming goes the way of the dinosaur. Companies exist to make money, and hardcore gaming doesn't make money when compared to how much they had to invest. The casual markets is a money printer, and that should worry people.

Molyneux is just overrated, frankly I'm getting tired of reading his opinion about everything.

LEAVE PETER ALONE!

He might be an eccentric sour puss but he still made the first Fable game. And that puts him in my RPG hall of fame ( Not including all those atrocious Fable reboots. Eugh )

Also, I can sort of understand his bitterness. I mean, if I'm not wrong, the first Fable along with the first GTA were two of the benchmark games on the ancient black and green box. Fable gradually screwed up and possibly dropped out in the next console generation and while GTA tripped a couple of times, is still there.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe if his games included half of what he promised in the hype, he too might actually enjoy better sales.

I personally would love to have 1 billion dollars revenue. Pete, shut up.

odolwa99:
Remember when people used to value what Peter Molyneux said? Yeah, me neither.

This.

So. Much. This.

He does kinda-sorta have a point. A billion dollars in the space of a week is impressive in scale, but given that it's the latest entry in a hugely-popular series and had a fairly massive budget and advertisement campaign, it's not what I would call a shock.

Now, if I had to choose a counterpoint that I would call "impressive" (because I'm not talking to a bunch of mobile-game developers), I'd point to Gunpoint.

Adraeus:
One other thing to consider is that GTA5's $265M budget was just for production. The marketing budget was likely twice that number, so back in reality, $800M is even less impressive considering that was the breakeven point.

According to Wikipedia:

"Media analyst Arvind Bhatia estimated the development budget for the game exceeded US$137 million, and The Scotsman reporter Marty McLaughlin estimated that the combined budget of the development and marketing efforts exceeded 170 million (US$265 million), which would make Grand Theft Auto V the most expensive video game ever made."

So no, 800 million was not the break-even point.

thebobmaster:

Teoes:
Put your money where your mouth is, Mr Over-Promise-Under-Deliver - if it doesn't impress you, surely you can do better?

Dammit now I have Shania Twain stuck in my head.

So you got the brains, but do you have the touch? Now, don't get me wrong, yeah, I think you're all right. But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night.

Sorry, I had to.

OT: Yeah, not much to say. High standards. Might explain all of his overhyping.

Now, worse than before, I'm imagining Peter Molyneux singing Shania Twain. And wearing a little outfit, doing a little dance.. I don't like where my brain is taking me.

I'm not sure why another game maker should be listened to in regard to another game's profits or popularity. I mean what can Mr Molyneux say? "I bought a copy?" Can't really expect much praise for competitors. It just doesn't make any sense to expect any compliments. But if it was his game/product that had performed this feat, you'd think he'd change his tune? I mean really, who wouldn't?

Really? Does he know what 'record breaking' means?

Quick question for people more familiar with him than I am: has Peter Molyneux ever said anything that wasn't pure hyperbolic bullshit? It doesn't seem like it. Why do we pay attention to this guy?

If he's saying the most successful videogame in the history is unimpressive, he's saying by extension that every other game is also unimpressive and also every movie because no movie in history has ever made a billion dollars in the amount of time GTA5 has.

I get the feeling if Molyneux was a spokesman for Rockstar Games he'd be singing a slightly different tune.

Proverbial Jon:

I'm not certain about 'douche' being quite the right word to describe Peter Molyneux OBE.

He's always been an idealist. So, I'd like to understand this latest insta-hype machine routine of his to be his very own, oftentimes peculiar way of expressing but his dedication to and firm belief in the mobile and indy gaming market, where it is possible to achieve million dollar revenues with, well, minimal funds... and sometimes, alas, minimal effort, it seems.

That's certainly something that would easily impress Peter Molyneux OBE. I don't feel he wants to accept the fact that a violent game showcasing the worst human behaviour is something that should even be considered worthwhile; a Molyneux has his standards.

I have yet to check out his Populous revisited. I did fiddle around with the Cube, and I was not too impressed. I still open it occasionally, and it still confuses me. So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas thrown into and at that cube, so very little actual game. This can't possibly be the future, now, can it? If it is, I'd rather go back to dressing up corn cob as dolls and magically turn a bucket and a broom into an imaginary friend.

But, yes, I do think that reality sort of warps and wraps around the presence (physical or projected) of Peter Molyneux OBE. He has his own way of interpreting commonly accepted facts. It's not always a bad thing, y'know. I think he stands for the general notion that it does not matter what life and the universe hand you to work with, it all comes down to how you handle and wield it.

"So don't hold it like that!"

-Steven Paul Jobs, dead man

the guys can't for the life of him not shut the fck up....
What a moron.

I'm still baffled that people want to hear Molyneux speak. I have no clue why you'd want to hear the opinion of the gaming industry second biggest douche (sorry, first place goes to Cliff Bleszinsky). Just baffled...

Proverbial Jon:

When people stopped listening to his bullshit. Now he has to shock with his opinions.

CriticalMiss:
Well, I guess he'll have to show the world what a successful game really is and make billions from Godus. That'll teach those damned Scots and their highly successful and profitable franchise that doesn't use microtransactions!

But... Godus is boring as hell right now D=.

Cognimancer:
But at the same time, you probably don't have to dis the new fastest-selling entertainment product is history to get that point across.

But he probably does in order to get the press' attention, right?

Indeed, I don't know why he needs to take such pot shots at bigger games anymore, other than kiss at the feet of the mobile market.

Headdrivehardscrew:

I have yet to check out his Populous revisited. I did fiddle around with the Cube, and I was not too impressed. I still open it occasionally, and it still confuses me. So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas thrown into and at that cube, so very little actual game. This can't possibly be the future, now, can it? If it is, I'd rather go back to dressing up corn cob as dolls and magically turn a bucket and a broom into an imaginary friend.

Interesting choice of words.

So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas... so very little actual game.

This is pretty much how I view his latest series, the Fable games. Now the original Fable is truly one of my favourite games; there's so much charm and, arguably, originality to it. Fable 2 and 3 however, well, they're another story.

Molyneux's idea of expansion or innovation seems to be simply adding more features to existing ideas. The game has NPCs? Well now you can emote with them, hold their hands, do fetch quests for them and marry them! Well that's all very good Mr. Molynuex but what is our motivation for doing so? These NPCs are shallow and lifeless, much like every feature in your "game." These features don't gel with the world or narrative, they are empty and isolated busy work with little to no impact. Why should we engage in these activities?

If Molyneux was in charge of building PCs he'd add hundreds of buttons and LEDs to the outer casing to make it look and sound awesome... but ultimately he'd forget to actually build the systems they should operate.

Proverbial Jon:

right around Black and White 2.

or Black and White 1, if you felt he really overhyped the shit out of it.

OT: you know what isn't impressive? Fable. every single game we are promised things that are never even touched in the game.

You know what isn't impressive? mobile games that require you to buy more shit or else you wont ever get anywhere.

You know what is impressive? breaching 1 billion in game sales within three days of launch, let alone making profit on the first day of sales alone.

Maybe Peter is just a bit jealous about it, I mean his recent games have been laughable.

"it isn't an on rails shooter!" game is a on rails shooter.

captcha= Don't stop. Oh, I could keep going on about it, but I'm too busy playing the completely unimpressive GTA V for the..... third day straight...

thiosk:
Both GTAV and these mobile titles pale in comparison to cookie clicker

commence the grandmapocalypse

Okay, why the hell is it so hard to stop playing?

OT: GTA V gives vastly more content than any mobile game, honestly, there is only so much of Happy Jump I can play before getting bored.

Proverbial Jon:

Headdrivehardscrew:

So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas... so very little actual game.

This is pretty much how I view his latest series, the Fable games. Now the original Fable is truly one of my favourite games; there's so much charm and, arguably, originality to it. Fable 2 and 3 however, well, they're another story.

Aye, same here. I quite liked the first Fable. No, no. Let me rephrase that. I loved the first one. No, still not strong enough.

I was absolutely enthralled by first Fable. Yes, it had bits and pieces that didn't quite fit, there were ideas that were obviously abandoned halfway through, it sort of turned from a nice firm cracker into a fruity custard of sorts towards the end, but it was still absolutely enjoyable, especially since I ignored the Molyneux gospel for, what, months or years before I actually got the game. Had I listened to the man and had I expected for all his promises to become manifest, things would have been far less enjoyable to me, methinks. Like a cracker with tufts of hair and glass shards baked right into it.

Molyneux's idea of expansion or innovation seems to be simply adding more features to existing ideas. The game has NPCs? Well now you can emote with them, hold their hands, do fetch quests for them and marry them! Well that's all very good Mr. Molynuex but what is our motivation for doing so? These NPCs are shallow and lifeless, much like every feature in your "game." These features don't gel with the world or narrative, they are empty and isolated busy work with little to no impact. Why should we engage in these activities?

Well, I don't know how involved Big Neux really was in the successors, but Fable 2 was somewhere between offensively annoying and downright scary hostile to the player. Giving up on wanting to play, let alone finish it seemed to be the smart choice there. By the time Fable 3 came around, I had already trained myself to just look the other way, using NLP and a a cattle prod.

If Molyneux was in charge of building PCs he'd add hundreds of buttons and LEDs to the outer casing to make it look and sound awesome... but ultimately he'd forget to actually build the systems they should operate.

I don't know. I find it hard to go to great lengths to hate or diss the man. He was involved in some of the games that defined excellent gaming back in the days. Populous saw us build cables from scraps we had lying around just so we could link two computers together and play against each other. It was magic. Powermonger... it was OK, but all it did was make us go back to playing some more Populous, and soon after that Populous II. Along came Syndicate, and that was also a superb title. I also liked Dungeon Keeper. I didn't quite get Black & White. I was greatly amused by my giant smelly Cow of Man-Eating Doom and Exquisite Evil, but the game just felt like an overly complicated Populous spin-off, re-iteration, reboot, remake, y'know, that annoying thing going on with them movies now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here