Android Users Should Avoid These GTA 5 Apps

Pages PREV 1 2

Aardvaarkman:

Strazdas:
I can write a program in an afternoon and post it on Google Play Store and i have never had a "legitimate company".

And that's a serious problem for Android and the Google Play store. And it's one of the main reason it's riddled with malware, fake and fraudulent applications.

I'd prefer a legal dictatorship over some dodgy "open" democracy. i guess we both wont get what we want.

Strawman. Laws and rules don't imply a dictatorship.

Law in theory at least should be a set of rules most beneficial to the state, not some abitrary order that everyone must obey no matter the cost. If the law creates more problems than it solves, it is a bad law and should be abolished.

Indeed. But trademark law is not bad law. It doesn't create more problems than it solves. In fact, it's very helpful because it helps people determine that they are actually buying the product they want to buy, and not a knock-off. If it wasn't enforced, there would be dozens of companies selling, for example, cars with the BMW trademark, that are not made to BMW specifications.

Trademark is one of the better laws out there. And it's certainly a lot better than copyright law, which has become rather degraded.

I agree that trademark law is a good law. i however disagree with your suggested responsibility shifting. Trademark owner is repsonsible for keeping and protecting its trademark. There is a reason laws are introduced that trademarks go bust if they are undefended when copies appear. it should be up to the trademark owner to locate and identify such activities, at which point they should request google to take them down and google would. it is however not googles responsibilities to protect other peoples trademarks.

Ability to self-publish is not a problem but a healthy feature.

Aardvaarkman:

And that's a serious problem for Android and the Google Play store. And it's one of the main reason it's riddled with malware, fake and fraudulent applications.

It is ultimately up to the device owner to decide what to download and what not to download.

Thankfully, there are things called "Ratings" and "user reviews", and "reporting", that act as checks and balances.

Case in point: These imitation iFruit apps? They're gone. They don't exist on the Google Play store anymore. You can't download them.

The system worked, at least in this case.

See for yourself what you get when you search for "iFruit"

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=iFruit&c=apps&hl=en

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook