Colin Farrell May Star in Warcraft Movie

Colin Farrell May Star in Warcraft Movie

colin farrell image

Mission Impossible 4's Paula Patton is also reportedly negotiating for a lead role.

Rumors are going around that Hollywood pretty boy Colin Farrell may have a lead role in Legendary Pictures upcoming Warcraft film adaption. Additionally, Paula Patton, best known for her role in the latest Mission Impossible flick, is reportedly already negotiating for a lead role.

The rumor comes from Deadline, whose "inside sources" claim that a deal has been offered to Farrell, and it's about "50/50" on whether he will accept it or not. Farrell is best known for his work in movies such as Phone Booth and S.W.A.T, and has most recently starred in the Total Recall remake.

Farrell seems like a bit of an odd choice - his only experience in this kind of genre is the critically panned box office failure Alexander. Blizzard are keeping a pretty tight lid on the film's script, so we're not sure if Farrell and Patton will be playing new characters created for the movie, or established names from Warcraft lore. Could Farrell be the movie's Arthas?

The Warcraft movie has been a long time coming, mostly due to Blizzard's extreme over-protection of the franchise. Sam Rami was initially signed on to direct, but when he got frustrated and left, Moon director Duncan Jones was brought on.

Jones seems to be moving the movie along quite a bit, with pre-production already underway and filming scheduled to start as early as next January for a 2015 release.

Source: Deadline via VG24/7

Don't forget he played Bullseye in Daredevil.

High hopes.

Just hire the lord of the rings staff, give it a wow twist and have peter jackson direct it

To be fair, Colin Farrel was brilliant in Alexander, it was just not the type of movie the public liked.

He can play whoever he likes, as long as they get [EDIT] Ron Pearlman to play Thrall and Bruce Cambell to play Varian Chin.

I feel like this movie is set up for failure/disappointment no matter who writes the script, and who's in it. Warcraft's lore is too complex and fan base is so large that no matter the outcome, they're bound to piss someone off. That being said, I really wish I'm wrong about this and it turns out to be a huge success.

I have a couple of concerns as to what sort of Colin Farrell we'll get (Bullseye in "Daredevil" CF where didn't see an actor, I saw a character -OR- what's-his-face in "Total Recall" where he just kind of snoozed through the movie) and who he'll play but I will remain optimistic until I see trailers.

Colin Farrell is a good actor, In Bruges comes to mind. That's a really good movie, although far from high fantasy. But considering his accent, I think he could make a great dwarf.

Dude, if they take advantage of his character acting skills, this choice is the bomb. Hell I don't even play Wow and I would see this movie is Colin Farrell stars.

Unless he is playing generic white warrior number 305. Wasted opportunity.

Steven Bogos:
The Warcraft movie has been a long time coming, mostly due to Blizzard's extreme over-protection of the franchise.

That's part of the reason I'm hopeful it will be good. I'm completely convinced that the vast majority of movie adaptations of video games are rubbish is because they simply sign away too much control to people who don't care about the original work apart from it having a fanbase. I'm also cautiously optimistic about this, Farrell is a pretty good character actor. Just hope they put him in the correct role. Looking forward to news about what in the lore the movie is going to be about, considering the scope of it.

Dendio:
Just hire the lord of the rings staff, give it a wow twist and have peter jackson direct it

That's my reaction to this verbatim. I just don't see how that could go wrong...

Well let's be honest, just like always it will be Colin Farrell's eyebrows that will be staring in the Warcraft film.

Huh so I guess this is going to be a live action film? I had always assumed that it would be 3D animation.

I'm more concerned Duncan Jones took over from Sam Raimi.

I really love Raimi, and I think he could do a great job with a Warcraft movie because the Warcraft universe seems very... I dunno, Raimi-ish. Not too serious, but kind of serious at the same time? Sort of just a lot of silly stuff.

That said, Moon was an incredible movie. But Duncan Jones has such a different style from Raimi I'm not really sure what, if anything, he could do with his leftovers.

My wish for this movies setting is that they continue were Warcraft III The Frozen Throne stopped.

Basically I want my Warcraft IV, game or movie doesn't matter. So I'm wishing they make a pararell story to WoWs continuity of the Warcraft lore.

Then again just a few cool heroes, big armies and cool effects and battles would most likely have me just as pumped as anything else to :P

Saregon:

Steven Bogos:
The Warcraft movie has been a long time coming, mostly due to Blizzard's extreme over-protection of the franchise.

That's part of the reason I'm hopeful it will be good. I'm completely convinced that the vast majority of movie adaptations of video games are rubbish is because they simply sign away too much control to people who don't care about the original work apart from it having a fanbase. I'm also cautiously optimistic about this, Farrell is a pretty good character actor. Just hope they put him in the correct role. Looking forward to news about what in the lore the movie is going to be about, considering the scope of it.

Given the actual WoW writers clearly don't give a shit either(if they did, they'd be taking basic writing 101 classes where they'd be hit with a baseball bat called "Common Sense" whenever they did something stupid), I wouldn't hold up much of a hope if I were you. If this movie turns out to be anywhere above the "meh" range then it is in spite of Blizzard and due to it. Their writing since WoW start has basically been nothing short of on the level of DC's Countdown. That said the visuals will probably be nice... maybe... hopefully...

Weaver:

I really love Raimi, and I think he could do a great job with a Warcraft movie because the Warcraft universe seems very... I dunno, Raimi-ish. Not too serious, but kind of serious at the same time? Sort of just a lot of silly stuff.

That said, Moon was an incredible movie. But Duncan Jones has such a different style from Raimi I'm not really sure what, if anything, he could do with his leftovers.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. For me, Rami hasn't directed anything of worth in a while. He is a good producer, but his directing skills are dubious. Oz The Great and the Powerful didn't turn out so great. Spiderman 3 was terrible.
Drag me to Hell was pretty amusing, but such a style wouldn't work with WOW. I'd imagine he'd try and play WoW like he did Spiderman, which would be awful. If you look at Rami's catalog of films, for every one great film he's directed, he has 4 terrible ones.

Duncan Jones is more of an unknown element. Moon was great and Source Code was also pretty interesting. I'm not sure how he would approach WoW, but I have a feeling it will be better than Rami's plans.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, because we simply wont know how it turns out until it's released.

Weaver:

Not really the case of their being any Raimi left-overs at all. Raimi rewrote the script, had it approved by bliz, and was then told they were going back to the original script, so he took what he had done, said fuck you, and left.

Which is fair enough. But the work Raimi had done had been scrapped anyways, so had any influence he had on the project.

I'm glad of that to be honest. If Raimi is gone, (which is unfortunate , i would have loved to have seen his take on it) , so should the work he had done on it, as no one else could do it in the Raimi way.

Jones now gets to throw his chops at it, which should be fantastic in a completely different way. He's a much more subtle director and i'm looking forward to his choices.

That all probably made no sense.

lol

I think Farrell as Arthas would be an excellent casting choice. I love Frozen Throne and Wrath lore a great deal, so I'm really excited to see what they do with it. Although the Second War would be my first choice for a Warcraft movie.

I long since stopped caring much about the Warcraft franchise ever since Blizzard stopped caring about the actual reason the fans liked the series to begin with, namely the RTS story and gameplay and replaced it with an MMO that does not have anything to do with it.

That said, I could see this work if they place the focus around massive armies battling it out for much of the movie and going with a "war is hell" sort of theme.

i cant see any other outcome as to this movie being a bad investment.

fantasy movies are one of the hardest type of movies to shoot, not because of the visuals (to some extent it does matter) and all that jazz but because you have to invest so much suspention of disbelieve in it.

and it only takes one silly named character to "ruin" it for me. its always some silly name starting with an A, like arakatarata or arkambashtor or asshatik.
the pacing in them also seems most often to suck.

with that all in mind, the warcraft story line is not that great to begin with, its convoluted almost as bad as game of thrones (books) and its pretty damn big.

all that in mind its going to suck. the only thing that isnt going to suck so much is the cgi fest which will cost 4 times what it will make in its livetime back and only will spawn 3 months of whining from people who dont like cgi not because it looks bad but because they know its cgi.

Does anybody really expect a good WoW movie? I sure as hell don't. The lore is fine as far as video game stuff goes but lacks the depth for any kind of faithful adaptation to be workable. So you had better hope whoever attempts the adaptation will be skilled.
Not to mention the biggest threats to these projects is usually the right's holder, it is what killed the Halo movie. Microsoft tried to hold the reins way too tightly on that project.
Ah well, at least we've got Ender's Game coming soon.

Dendio:

Not a stupid idea actually. Just different actors. Keep the crews and everyone else.

But this movie will suck. Because it is made by committee and made for marketing rather than to tell any story or entertain (it will coincide with a new wow expansion and be hype for it).

The best possible move they could do is one that would be little kids to get hooked on wow.

The move the fans want is something a *little* more mature. Depth is optional, but not expected...

If they make it like beowulf then maybe the film will work, but live action.... I cant see it working im afraid

I've never played Wow...never wanted to either as i appreciate my social life and girlfriends and all that jazz.
However, i would be willing to see the movie, if Colin Farrel IS in it...he is a very good actor, its a pity they only mentioned his blockbuster works. Someone mentioned In Bruges, which is definitely better than the other films they mentioned. Plus i hope he keeps his irish accent for the role...whatever that may be.
Which brings me to the question...does Wow even have a story worth telling? Or just something worth cashing out on? This is one of the main points that will decide for me whether the film will be good enough. I know these things are subjective, but meh!

Finally, what is Moon? Worth watching? I liked source code for originality and Jake G.

Microsoft does not seem to recognise the word 'Bruges' A bit fucking ignorant if you ask me! :p

rhizhim:
its always some silly name starting with an A, like arakatarata or arkambashtor or asshatik.

Jar-Jar Binks would disagree with this statement. :P

Sansha:
I think Farrell as Arthas would be an excellent casting choice. I love Frozen Throne and Wrath lore a great deal, so I'm really excited to see what they do with it. Although the Second War would be my first choice for a Warcraft movie.

My money is on them going the "original story set in the universe" angle...that's what most game-based-movies do. With the exception of the legendary Mario Bro's movie which had pretty much nothing to do with the game itself other than "They're plumbers, and they're named Mario and Luigi." Just saying I wouldn't get my hopes up for a "re-enactment" type of movie that tells a story from one of the games if I were you. If anything I'm guessing it'll be a story from one of the books, but as I mentioned it'll more than likely be an original story all together.

The problem with taking a story from the games is a problem of perspective. There's too many stories to tell throughout the campaigns of WC. If you take Arthas' descent into madness, it's going to be almost entirely Alliance vs Undead, cutting out the Orcs and Night Elves and end with a big fat "To Be Continued" for a movie that might never be made. If you go with Thrall setting up the new Orc kingdom in Kalimdor, you're going to be going from a very unique perspective - that of a fantasy movie where humanity ISN'T the in the primary role - and it would likely be overloaded with way too much exposition. Same with any stories from the Undead or Night Elf campaign. The problem with going back to WCII would be that it there's way too much to stuff into a single movie to get the job done, inevitably leading again to a big "To Be Continued" for a sequel that might never get made. Reasons like that are why most game-based movies go for original stories, and why I'm betting this movie will be no different.

That said, I'm in the camp that can't help but have a pessimistic outlook on this movie. I just don't see how it can be done well. Maybe if they were going full CGI and making it a 3D animated movie, but live action? Ehhhhhhh...just seems like it'll come off as being too goofy to take seriously. Lord of the Rings was a diamond in the rough. As someone else mentioned, pulling off a good fantasy movie is incredibly tricky, LotR did it because it was a story that EVERYONE knew and loved and the movies - with some exception - stayed pretty faithful to the source material. That said, can you imagine live-action orcs or night elves or tauren being handled with CGI-makeup combos? I certainly can't.

I would love to see a WC movie that's done well, I really enjoy the lore and story as presented in the games (the RTS's, at least), and seeing that all brought to life on the big screen would be a lot of fun. I just can't get my hopes up for this project, however, and will be taking a "Wait and See, but Doubting" approach to it until more information comes out.

WOW lore is just terrible and way too convoluted to make a movie. Its full of a million disposable races and talking inanimate objects that exist to get stabbed and were airdropped in by crystal star people.
They need to go back to their roots and have Medivh story.

Or they could capitalize on the pirate fad and go all Tides Of Darkness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPceWwNia6I

What I don't understand is why they want to make this film.

What I also don't understand is why they want to make this film with live actors. Blizzard has had some of the best CGI work for their games in the past, and the whole setting would be a much better fit for an animated film. Considering the amount of CGI they will probably use anyway, and the very stylized look of the Warcraft setting, it would seem much better to just animate the whole thing.

Of course, I feel the same way about a lot of comic book films too.

nymz:
Colin Farrell is a good actor, In Bruges comes to mind. That's a really good movie, although far from high fantasy. But considering his accent, I think he could make a great dwarf.

I think he'd make a good orc. But considering his wages, they probably wouldn't want to waste him putting that much makeup on him and having him grunt. Which, to be fair, is what he does in a lot of his other movies.

ex951753:
I feel like this movie is set up for failure/disappointment no matter who writes the script, and who's in it. Warcraft's lore is too complex and fan base is so large that no matter the outcome, they're bound to piss someone off. That being said, I really wish I'm wrong about this and it turns out to be a huge success.

Just for reference huge doesn't equal complex.

OT: I really want to know what the hell the movie is about exactly, though by the looks of it I wont see anything on it for a long time.

Also, I could see him as Turalyon.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here