No Indie Titles on Xbox One Until 2014

No Indie Titles on Xbox One Until 2014

Xbox One - Main Image

Xbox One owners will have to wait until 2014 to check out the console's indie lineup.

The next-gen battle between Microsoft and Sony is still heating up, but Sony has taken a hefty lead in at least one area: indie games. Today, Microsoft's corporate vice president, Phil Harrison, told Games Industry International that he doesn't expect any indie titles to show up on the Xbox One until early 2014.

"I don't think we're going to see things at launch," Harrison said. "I don't think it's realistic to see a developer get the program and build a game and get it into the market on November 22. It's reasonable to expect in early 2014 we'll start seeing the first games come through."

This summer, Microsoft unveiled its Independent Developers @ Xbox program, which allows small studios and individuals to publish their own titles. According to Harrison, the company has had "an avalanche of interest from all corners of the globe," but there just isn't enough time to take care of the logistics and allow developers to work their magic.

"Now we're working through applications and creating that dialogue with developers," he explained. "As we said at the time, we have phase one where we give away development kits and loan them to the teams that inevitably will have to pass some kind of a qualification to justify a limited number of dev kits being given to them."

Only a handful of indie titles will be heading to the Playstation 4 before the end of the year. However, there are reportedly over 180 games being developed for Sony's next-gen console, and the majority of those are independent.

But these statistics don't worry Phil Harrison. "[The Xbox One] lineup is very, very strong. And Titanfall is turning into the huge megahit that we expected it to be."

Source: GamesIndustry International

Why is everyone hyping up Titanfall as the big Xbox One exclusive? Its on PC too isn't it?

Xbone is doing better than it was before, but it looks like Indie devs will be more comfotable working with the PS4 since it looks to be more Indie friendly.

Titanfall isn't a fucking indie game.

Also, it seems every time something comes up with the Xbone, one of their reactions is "yea, but Titanfall looks pretty awesome, doesn't it?"

I couldn't care LESS about Titanfall...really.

It's reasonable that we wouldn't get indies the first few months of release, with dev kit releases and all. No biggie there, so long as it is rectified Q1 2014.

But M$ is pimping out Titanfall like it's the Second Coming. While it'll likely be fun, I need engaging, immersive storylines in my games, and ones that aren't dependent on the interactions of other players.

Multiplayer is always icing on the cake for me, rarely the main course (I say RARELY b/c I play SWTOR on occasion)

Kalezian:
Titanfall isn't a fucking indie game.

Also, it seems every time something comes up with the Xbone, one of their reactions is "yea, but Titanfall looks pretty awesome, doesn't it?"

I hope titanfall bombs just because of those reactions, Its just a multiplayer mech combat game, we got some of those on pc already though, and pc is getting this as well.

It's only being hyped cause the guys from call of duty are making it.

Games are pretty hit an miss. I know we've seen some real gems from the Indie scene, but for every gem there has been a turd. They're cheap and easy, but sometimes engaging. Then there's games you scratch your head after playing not sure if it was a game or just a tech demo. Indie games are wealth of great ideas, but sometimes poor execution. Not having said games might hurt them as both systems have spotty launch titles. Some digital love would be nice. I can't say it's bad, but at least they are trying to get SOME. Really can't begrudge them for that. But how they treat said developers to appeal to future game releases is another story altogether.

*Headdesk*

Microsoft, just shut up now. Please.

Every time you open your mouths you make things worse... ..except when you announced Baulmer was leaving, that was a good move.

TizzytheTormentor:
Why is everyone hyping up Titanfall as the big Xbox One exclusive? Its on PC too isn't it?

It is, but as an EA game it'll also be on Origin, which is proving to be an unerringly reliable sales killer for everything that isn't Battlefield or Mass Effect. It'll have to be something truly special and no doubt Microsoft will dream up some way to make it most appealing on Xbone.

Can we just Boycott the Xbone? I mean at this point I doubt anyone is looking forward to it.

fix-the-spade:

TizzytheTormentor:

It is, but as an EA game it'll also be on Origin, which is proving to be an unerringly reliable sales killer for everything that isn't Battlefield or Mass Effect. It'll have to be something truly special and no doubt Microsoft will dream up some way to make it most appealing on Xbone.

Just checked, its also for the 360.

Why would people buy a whole new console for a game that is coming out on system that anyone interested in the Xbone is gonna have?

There is only around 6-7 weeks of 2013 left by the time the X1 releases...
If they said that there would be no indie titles until this time 2014 that would be more like news.

TizzytheTormentor:
Just checked, its also for the 360.

Why would people buy a whole new console for a game that is coming out on system that anyone interested in the Xbone is gonna have?

The 360 version will likely be cut down the same way Battlefield is to fit into that 512MB RAM limit. Whether it's as extreme a hatchet job as the 360 version of BF3 remains to be seen, if it is I can't see Titanfall being that popular on 360.

Microsoft will work hard to make it look best on Xbone, it's in their interest to have people picking up that version, doubly so if they pull a stunt like they did with the Xbox and cut the 360 out of Live after a couple of years.

TizzytheTormentor:

Xbone is doing better than it was before, but it looks like Indie devs will be more comfotable working with the PS4 since it looks to be more Indie friendly.

Because those same people are idiots, who think the "hardcore" shooter fans must only play their FPS games on the 360, and thus will only play this on the Xbox One. There is a world of difference between "headshotting a guy" and "headshotting a guy thanks to snap-on auto-aim auto-present built into the game" that they care about.

And indie devs are already comfortable with Sony, they have been. Because Sony made the first move to not straight up f^&* indie devs in the arse with ignorant policies, and was one of the first to open themselves up to indie games.

Adultism:
Can we just Boycott the Xbone? I mean at this point I doubt anyone is looking forward to it.

I'm looking forward to it. Just to be contrary. :P

ZZoMBiE13:

Adultism:

I'm looking forward to it. Just to be contrary. :P

It's called buying a PS4 instead XP

OT: So it's just a few months of waiting for the Indie titles, I'm sure waiting an extra amount of time wont harm anyone to those who look forward to playing Indies on the Xbox One. Hell the gaming library for both will be small going into next year. Which is why I'l wait before buying a PS4 for extra games.

Is anyone really buying either console for indie titles, though?

TizzytheTormentor:

This has been fairly common since there's been an Xbox brand.

Microsoft, you really need to see someone about this strange addiction to driving off cliffs you seem to have developed lately.

Ok, I'm sure he's talking BS.

At this point I've seen more Kickstarters mentioning the OUYA for fucks sake than the Xbone, and most of the time its 'we'll look into it' rather than an actual answer or stretch goal.

Personally I'm hoping the Xbone dies before them and all the indie devs flee to greener pastures. PSN, Steam and other downloads, hell, even the Nintendo eShop! Just whatever doesn't have the Xbone logo on it.

I am still quite apprehensive when it come to the Xbox One...It seems everything they say is altered within a few weeks. I'l believe the console is indie friendly once there is a substantial library available. And remember...TitanFall is only exclusive when looking at consoles. I'l be buying it on PC.

Misleading thread title is misleading

llamastorm.games:
If they said that there would be no indie titles until this time 2014 that would be more like news.

Actually only 5.5 weeks. There not going to be many for Sony either, if any, I haven't seen the lineup. I heard Minecraft Xbox One may launch before 2014, so this article may be untrue.

I'd like to see the ex-Infinity Ward guys take off with a flying start, just because I feel that's the narrative they deserve after the shakedown they endured with Activision. But it's increasingly looking like they may have put their eggs in the wrong basket with Microsoft. Being the creators of effectively the headliner title for a console isn't necessarily the easiest position for a new developer to arrive on the scene, even if that developer is made up of industry veterans.

As far as the rest of it, it's all what we've come to expect from Microsoft: a bunch of meaningless doublespeak that can't be pinned down to having any real meaning. No specifics, no names, no real timelines, just a bunch of hyperbolic expressions of how great everything is going to be.

Baldr:

llamastorm.games:

Actually only 5.5 weeks. There not going to be many for Sony either, if any, I haven't seen the lineup. I heard Minecraft Xbox One may launch before 2014, so this article may be untrue.

Yeah, if minecraft was still considered indie.

Vie:
*Headdesk*

Microsoft, just shut up now. Please.

Every time you open your mouths you make things worse... ..except when you announced Baulmer was leaving, that was a good move.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. It's not just the really strange decisions MS are making, it's their comments after that are REALLY baffling me. New x-box can't be used vertically? "It's fine, only 1/5 of our customer base ever wanted that, we can ignore them!". You don't want our always online dildo up your ass? "Then fine, we are taking ALL THESE FEATURES and GOING HOME!"

Sony got hacked, then they fucked up handling it. Next thing they did was apologise, not have a strop that the universe didn't conform to the way they imagined it would while drunk.

the way this is going next thing announce is the Xbox One wont be having its controllers out till 2014. it is missing everything else anyway.

Zeckt:

Baldr:

llamastorm.games:

So minecraft got bought out? no? well then it is still Indie. Granted, the largest indie on the market, but still indie.

Strazdas:
the way this is going next thing announce is the Xbox One wont be having its controllers out till 2014. it is missing everything else anyway.

Zeckt:

Baldr:

So minecraft got bought out? no? well then it is still Indie. Granted, the largest indie on the market, but still indie.

No Mojang stepped in to the publishing area with Cobalt which in turn takes them out of the indie field.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/minecraft-mojang-publish-cobalt/

I can't really bring myself to turn on the hate engine for this. While it's easy to jump on the "Lol, what happened to "indie's our best buds"" this isn't really saying anything. There won't be any indies on Xbox One in 2013. Well, the console will barely be out before 2014. In fact for most of Europe it won't be out in 2013 (here included).

I'm willing to let them have some time to work on the console's infrastructure before they start giving out indie games.

Look, if they're having trouble, why don't they just move the XBox One release date to 2014? Yes, I know that it won't be the holiday season, but considering all the features and content that isn't being released with it at the same time, it's easy to see that it's just not done. At this point they're trying to do so much that, frankly, much of it nobody even asked for.

llamastorm.games:

Yopaz:
I can't really bring myself to turn on the hate engine for this. While it's easy to jump on the "Lol, what happened to "indie's our best buds"" this isn't really saying anything. There won't be any indies on Xbox One in 2013. Well, the console will barely be out before 2014. In fact for most of Europe it won't be out in 2013 (here included).

I'm willing to let them have some time to work on the console's infrastructure before they start giving out indie games.

I think the point is supposed to be that it's likely going to spend anywhere from 2-4 months without even having the basic support to release indie games, and the first of those months is going to be the big holiday season when many console sales are made in the first place.

Sure, this really only matters to the people who care about indie developers a lot, and like Zachary said up there I don't imagine many people buy consoles for indie games, so it's not like this news is really going to hurt them in any way, but I still had to let out a small sigh. What could be so complicated about a system by which indie developers can release their own games that it requires up to four (or possibly more) months after the release of your console before you can support it?

Of course, this is the same primarily English-speaking company whose voice-recognition hardware won't recognize certain dialects of English, so I shouldn't be surprised.

shrekfan246:

I think the point is supposed to be that it's likely going to spend anywhere from 2-4 months without even having the basic support to release indie games, and the first of those months is going to be the big holiday season when many console sales are made in the first place.

Sure, this really only matters to the people who care about indie developers a lot, and like Zachary said up there I don't imagine many people buy consoles for indie games, so it's not like this news is really going to hurt them in any way, but I still had to let out a small sigh. What could be so complicated about a system by which indie developers can release their own games that it requires up to four (or possibly more) months after the release of your console before you can support it?

Of course, this is the same company whose voice-recognition hardware won't recognize certain dialects of English, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I have to say that I agree with you completely, I just didn't like the way the article was written. Postponed until 2014 makes it sound like it's a big deal despite the fact that next year is right around the corner. It says early 2014, but that usually just means the first quarter so it's anyone's guess when it will actually come.

This is in fact my biggest problem with Microsoft right now though. Their inability to give a clear message. I want to know when the console will be available. The answer sometime 2014. I don't even want the console, I just want them to provide me the information around release.

Also I do agree with your sigh. They have been soooo proud of their indie support and how they're heroes for letting them in on a sweet deal. I simply don't have the energy to get upset with Microsoft unless they screw up big. I'm preserving my energy until they do something dumber than not releasing due to Kinect's voice control. Nobody really wanted that anyway...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here