Rockstar Doesn't Know Why Your GTA Car Hole Ate Your Car

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rockstar Doesn't Know Why Your GTA Car Hole Ate Your Car

At least, not yet, but driving another character's personal vehicle may have something to do with it.

It's a dilemma any car owner can empathize with: GTA players claim that their garages are devouring their tricked-out vehicles. The bug seems to affect upgraded vehicles in particular, and may kick in after mission completion. One minute the car's there, shining, magnificent; the next, gone, as if it had never been. Rockstar isn't sure how this happens, but wonders if the trigger is driving another character's personal vehicle. It doesn't have a means of getting the car back once it vanishes into the car hole's capricious maw.

Rockstar points out that a vehicle doesn't switch garages overnight, like some four-wheeled Flying Dutchman. If you leave it in Safehouse A's garage, it will stay in Safehouse A's garage; it doesn't also appear in Safehouses B and C as well. That's a design feature, not a bug. Though, if you're really lucky, you might have the experience one Guardian journalist claims to have had, when his garage spawned two cars where only one was before.

Rockstar's working on the problem. "In the meantime," it says, "please try to avoid parking a car in a garage, driving one already in a garage, or getting in a default vehicle, when playing as a character other than the one with your upgrades."

Source: Rockstar

Wait but my cars save instantly when i customise them and are instantly available at any safe-house or rim jobs ... oh wait wrong game:P.

alj:
Wait but my cars save instantly when i customise them and are instantly available at any safe-house or rim jobs ... oh wait wrong game:P.

I can't tell you how many times I wished GTA V had a system similar to SR III/IV in that regards. Why would I spend ridiculous amounts of money customizing a car when it has a stupidly high chance of just disappearing on me? I mean, leave the car in the street and it gets impounded, forget to retrieve it and its' gone. If I kit out my Comet like crazy then I want to use it as much as possible, not let it stay in my garage indefinitely because I am afraid I might lose it or because it is such a damn hassle to get to it in the first place.

Karloff:
If you leave it in Safehouse A's garage, it will stay in Safehouse A's garage; it doesn't also appear in Safehouses B and C as well. That's a design feature, not a bug.

Which means if you leave an expensive, tricked-out car in Franklin's aunt's garage, you will lose that car when he moves out. Because once Franklin leaves his aunt's, he can no longer access that garage.

Good job, Rockstar.

So they introduced an annoying feature for the sake of realism instead of enjoyment... Fuck rockstar.

Out of interest how many guns can you carry at once in that game? is that realistic?

It's as good an excuse as any.

I think I'll be waiting on V until they work out all of these small but awful bugs.

Dead Raen:

It's as good an excuse as any.

I think I'll be waiting on V until they work out all of these small but awful bugs.

I am waiting for it on PC i mean you know someone will find a way to patch this "bug".

Dead Raen:

But there are no "small but awful bugs" in GTAV. The game is PERFECT! Didn't you read all the professional reviews and see how the gutters were clogged with fanboy jizz?

;P

I've still not regretted my purchase (housemates are getting good value out of the game still), but last night I went and played Euro Truck Simulator 2 instead of GTAV. Because I wanted to actually enjoy a driving game for a change.

The issue doesn't seem to affect the big garages that each character has, so I'm sticking to those for now.

Desert Punk:
So they introduced an annoying feature for the sake of realism instead of enjoyment... Fuck rockstar.

Out of interest how many guns can you carry at once in that game? is that realistic?

Literally all of them at once. Including the mini-gun.

ToastiestZombie:

Desert Punk:

Literally all of them at once. Including the mini-gun.

Hahaha

You can carry an arsenal around on you but it was intended that you couldn't access a communal garage... classic.

"In the meantime," it says, "please try to avoid parking a car in a garage, driving one already in a garage, or getting in a default vehicle, when playing as a character other than the one with your upgrades."

So basically, don't play the game? 'cause you need to play as all 3 characters to progress.

MinionJoe:

Karloff:
If you leave it in Safehouse A's garage, it will stay in Safehouse A's garage; it doesn't also appear in Safehouses B and C as well. That's a design feature, not a bug.

Which means if you leave an expensive, tricked-out car in Franklin's aunt's garage, you will lose that car when he moves out. Because once Franklin leaves his aunt's, he can no longer access that garage.

Good job, Rockstar.

Franklin's Aunt is a bitch... She probably took it as rent compensation or something... This is when you see the hussey driving it casually to the shops some time!

OT:

It would be naiive to think that a game this size would have no teething issues, but you would have thought this would have been noticed in testing!? Also... really Rockstar? Your advise is to practically walk everywhere?

alj:

And a far better system.

OT: I haven't done this once, and I still have lost saved cars.

Heh, I've always thought the idea of owning a car in a GTA game kind of goes against the spirit of it anyways. "Your" car is just whoever's car you're stealing at the moment :)

Zachary Amaranth:

OT: I haven't done this once, and I still have lost saved cars.

I've not had a character drive another's default vehicle either. It seems like the problem comes from starting missions.

If you drive a non-default/purchased/upgraded/saved vehicle to a mission, it will often replace that vehicle with the default one. I've seen it happen in the pre-mission cut-scenes. It's easy to spot with Trevor's truck, but I've noticed it with all three characters.

And the vehicle you drove to the mission is gone forever.

Missing cars are the least of my problems...seeing as how I've got a bug in my game that locks me out of the strip club and thus prevents me from starting the final heist of the game.

Yeah, I'd much rather they focus on fixing things that LITERALLY BREAK THE GAME rather than finding out why people's garages are eating their cars.

For the record, though, I've lost a couple Infernusses (Infernusi?) to this bug as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now my game won't even load up, it just stays on the opening loading screen and never actually gets to the game. So I've got to wait for a fix or start a new game entirely...neither of which are very appealing at the moment.

So Rockstar should have spent some more of their $300 million budget on QA testing? I don't really see why you would want a personal car in a GTA game anyway, just steal someone elses!

Where did my fancy sports car go Rockstar?! I spent thirty seconds stealing that thing from some unlucky motherfucker in front of my house!

This is why I don't upgrade my cars in any open world games, unless the upgrades are persistent (IE extra armor, health, etc).

erttheking:
Where did my fancy sports car go Rockstar?! I spent thirty seconds stealing that thing from some unlucky motherfucker in front of my house!

The issue isn't with stolen cars. The issue is buying a car in-game, spending just as much to upgrade it, and then to have it disappear for no reason.

And given that 80-90% of the missions in GTAV result in no income, losing money to bugs like this is unacceptable.

RJ 17:
Missing cars are the least of my problems...seeing as how I've got a bug in my game that locks me out of the strip club and thus prevents me from starting the final heist of the game.

Yeah, I'd much rather they focus on fixing things that LITERALLY BREAK THE GAME rather than finding out why people's garages are eating their cars.

For the record, though, I've lost a couple Infernusses (Infernusi?) to this bug as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now my game won't even load up, it just stays on the opening loading screen and never actually gets to the game. So I've got to wait for a fix or start a new game entirely...neither of which are very appealing at the moment.

I'm going to end up sounding like an ass for this, but have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the install disk?

Also, have you tried to walk in the building as any other character? I think I walked in as Michael, but it was a while ago.

OT, the one thing I would rather have fixed is the god damned stragers and freaks missions where I drive up in my 100% armor, bulletproof tires, beast like truck only for the characters to ditch something that could survive the coming zombie apocalypse for a coupe that barely goes 50 Mph while my truck is only slightly slower than a unmodded Veyron.

beyond that, I'm now sucked into trying to get 100% while waiting for Oct. 1 to come around so I can start playing the multiplayer game.

MinionJoe:

I've not had a character drive another's default vehicle either. It seems like the problem comes from starting missions.

If you drive a non-default/purchased/upgraded/saved vehicle to a mission, it will often replace that vehicle with the default one. I've seen it happen in the pre-mission cut-scenes. It's easy to spot with Trevor's truck, but I've noticed it with all three characters.

And the vehicle you drove to the mission is gone forever.

I usually drive to missions in the default vehicle or jack a new one. I usually steal one unless they start me near the default vehicle for the character I'm using.

Zachary Amaranth:

I usually drive to missions in the default vehicle or jack a new one. I usually steal one unless they start me near the default vehicle for the character I'm using.

That's what I've started doing as well. And that's the advice that Rockstar should be giving.

Kalezian:

RJ 17:

I'm going to end up sounding like an ass for this, but have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the install disk?

Also, have you tried to walk in the building as any other character? I think I walked in as Michael, but it was a while ago.

Uninstalling doesn't work, nor does entering it as another character...not that any of it matters at this point because the game doesn't even get past the opening loading screen...as such I can't play it, period. I can either wait for Rockstar to fix it or delete my save and start all over again...neither sound very appealing at this point. Evidently I mentioned this in the edit to my previous post. Sorry to repeat myself, but I've been talking about this a lot in numerous different topics and get mixed up about what I posted in which topic. :P

MinionJoe:

That's what I've started doing as well. And that's the advice that Rockstar should be giving.

It's a shame, because there's a lot of cash being dropped into custom cars only to have them eaten.

Of course, the only cars I personally mod are with Franklin at his LS Customs franchise. Since they're free (after the purchase), I don't feel like I lose anything when I lose a car. Which I don't really mind losing.

I've actually found a workaround to this bug. Don't save your upgraded cars in the safehouse garages, save them in the garages that you've purchased. They never dissapear from there. Each character has their own garage that can store up to 4 cars. They're also colour coded. Green for Frank, Blue for Mike and Orange for Trev.

I lost like 5 rare cars (including a fully upgraded Bugatti!) before I realised this.

Also, pro tip: Upgrade you character's default car first since they always spawn maxed out and you can never lose them. And they're usually the cars that are used in missions.

Zachary Amaranth:

Of course, the only cars I personally mod are with Franklin at his LS Customs franchise.

I wanted to buy that for Frank, but after two heists, I only had enough to buy one property. So I bought him the Salvage Yard. To date, it still hasn't earned him one cent. Maybe I'll get a mission someday that actually earns him a payout... ;P

FFP2:
...save them in the garages that you've purchased.

Which is fine if you never want to drive the car. And given that there are nearly 250 different cars in the game, only being able to save 5 vehicles per character seems a bit low for "collectors".

MinionJoe:

Which is fine if you never want to drive the car. And given that there are nearly 250 different cars in the game, only being able to save 5 vehicles per character seems a bit low for "collectors".

It's the same as saving it to your safehouse garage...

And there doesn't seem to be any cars that rarely spawn so it won't be hard to get 'em back.

This article is obviously biased. GTA V is a 10/10, a perfect game!

Except for all of the gaping big bugs and flaws it has, that is.

But shh, don't tell the fanboys, they might crack under the pressure of hearing that their new bestest game evar has significant flaws in it.

GTA's policy; "Fuck you and the car you rode in with!"

I already learned this from GTA4... Never get attached to that sweet ride, because it's gonna get fucked up in traffic or just disappear. Just race the shit out of it while you still can. Funny how the very first Saints Row had you save as many cars as you wanted, but Rockstar is still being so stodgy about it.

I think Rockstar already kinda knew this what with all those convenient sports cars riding around the city.

I experienced the "Two cars spawn in same garage." Bug. I ended up with two white tricked out cars, one on top of the other. I brought one out and left the other one in, and the next time I checked, they were both gone.

If you stick some of the default cars in the garage, don't bother. The default character cars respawn in the character's living area, and they respawn with whatever mods you added to them. So any mods you put on your car are permanent for your guy.

CriticKitten:
This article is obviously biased. GTA V is a 10/10, a perfect game!

Except for all of the gaping big bugs and flaws it has, that is.

But shh, don't tell the fanboys, they might crack under the pressure of hearing that their new bestest game evar has significant flaws in it.

I honestly haven't come across any big bugs at all. Except for the odd car clipping through the guardrail, or people stepping out of their recently exploded vehicles completely unharmed. But nothing game breaking, surprisingly so.

Casual Shinji:
I honestly haven't come across any big bugs at all. Except for the odd car clipping through the guardrail, or people stepping out of their recently exploded vehicles completely unharmed. But nothing game breaking, surprisingly so.

In a game built around stealing and upgrading cars, a garage that literally makes cars vanish isn't a "big bug"? O_o

Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist, you know. This article is evidence enough that the game isn't without flaw, and if you look around the internet enough you'll find other decently big bugs that exist in the game as well. But if you talk to a certain very vocal portion of the internet, you'd think Jesus's second coming was in video game form.

CriticKitten:

Casual Shinji:

In a game built around stealing and upgrading cars, a garage that literally makes cars vanish isn't a "big bug"? O_o

Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist, you know. This article is evidence enough that the game isn't without flaw, and if you look around the internet enough you'll find other decently big bugs that exist in the game as well. But if you talk to a certain very vocal portion of the internet, you'd think Jesus's second coming was in video game form.

I haven't touched gta 5, but i doubt that it's built around pimping stolen cars. You seem to hate this game for some reason. Noone here is claiming that it's perfect, most games have bugs, but at least this one seems more annoying than game breaking.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here