Microsoft's Harrison: We Are Winning The Games Message

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft's Harrison: We Are Winning The Games Message

We took feedback on board and changed, says Harrison.

Microsoft's Phil Harrison acknowledges that the Xbox One has had a rocky time, what with its disastrous reveal and a fair-to-middling E3, but he thinks it's about to turn the corner. "We are winning the games message," says Harrison, and points at the E3 awards that Xbox games won. That includes Titanfall - "the most awarded game in the history of E3" says Harrison - the mech shooter Respawn Entertainment has been working on, and which won't get released until sometime in early 2014.

Harrison claims Microsoft has learned from its mistakes - or, as Microsoft would prefer to think of it, taken on feedback that indicated it was too far ahead of the curve - and changed its plans accordingly. "We think that's a good thing," says he. One of the things that isn't so good is the limited console release; first it was only going to be out in 21 countries, and now it's limiting itself to 13. The other 8 markets will get a chance to buy the Xbox One sometime in 2014, while the rest of the world might get a look in at some point. "In the long run, in the life of Xbox One, I don't believe this will have any material impact," says Harrison, as he pledges that Microsoft will do its best to keep up.

The Xbox One did have a decent E3, but Sony had a good one too - largely thanks to pointing out all the differences between its policies and Microsoft's - and increased its sales projections as a result. Will the games library be what pushes the Xbox One into first place? Possibly, but some of the flashier titles - Titanfall and Project Spark, to name two - don't have confirmed release dates yet, despite occupying a sizeable chunk of Microsoft's E3 event. Come Christmas, we shall see.

Source: Edge

For once I'd like a company, or politicians even, to just come out and say they were flat-out wrong and wanted to steer our society down a path where they grow richer and we grow poorer and more submissive to our "company overlords". Not just "ahead of the curve" because that's a curve nobody even wants, so stop shoving it down our throats and expect us to say thank you. You dun goofed, and you have to pay for your mistake.

Nice of them to slow down for us dumdums.

I look forward to looking back (bear with me) on the life of the Xbone to see if it was or was not negatively affected by this drip-feed release. At the moment I struggle to see how it won't be, but that's just biased old me.

Look! Titanfall! Oooh, shiny.

They are betting a LOT on Titanfall, aren't they?

ah yes.

so far it only has 2 games holding hostage i care about. and one of them is dead rising 3.

So they think they were ahead of the curve? Where was that curve leading them? It wasn't upwards I can guarantee you that.

It's not necessarily a good thing to be the first in a free fall you know.....

I think the saddest part is they've been pumping up Titanfall so heavily that a lot of people seemed to entirely miss the announcements that it wouldn't be exclusive to the Xbox One.

But yeah, he's probably not entirely wrong about the "material impact". I always figured the Xbox would sell like cinnamon buns even if they hadn't back-tracked on the DRM.

I'm glad Titanfall will also be released for PC so I don't have to deal with that MS BS. However, it is also a EA Origin game... meh, maybe I'll pick it still up, reimported keys will be around 50% cheaper anyways and that way I can wait for the reviews. Hyped games have a tendency to not be as great as everyone imagines.

rhizhim:
ah yes.

so far it only has 2 games holding hostage i care about. and one of them is dead rising 3.

Same. The other for me would be that Dragon Riding game.

While the PS4 has like 4 and the Wii U has over 10.

So far the Xbox One is losing for me, greatly.

Karloff:

Harrison claims Microsoft has learned from its mistakes - or, as Microsoft would prefer to think of it, taken on feedback that indicated it was too far ahead of the curve - and changed its plans accordingly. "We think that's a good thing,"

Meanwhile, at Valve.

And that Microsoft, is how you do Sharing, no 24 Bullshit check-ins, no fucking over the entire userbase for a single negligible 'advantage,' just a nice simple opt-in. There was literally no reason why you couldn't done this with digital games.

Wait, Titanfall doesn't have a release date yet? What games are available on launch?

Captcha: dalek asylum (this geeky captcha almost makes up for all the advertising ones)

Curve ahead?

Someone must have flipped their charts upside down.

Also E3 must have been very boring this year if call of duty on steroids + mechs was the most awarded title.

Diablo1099:

remember the last Xbone thread? where they say Indie games wont be coming until 2014?

I said the same thing. It seems whenever Microsoft says something, "Titanfall looks amazing, guys." is usually followed right behind it.

I dont normally wish a game to become a massive failure, but to me it will be hilarious if Titanfall sucks so bad that gamers want a full refund for it.

also, someone learn Harrison some economics and financing real quick.

if product A is only being released in between 8 and 13 markets during the same time period that product B is going to be released in, say, 21 markets, including those that product A will be released in, then product A, regardless of how many sale it does get, wont be getting sales in the remaining eight markets [assuming the Xbone actually releases in the 13 markets they say it will].

With the Ps4 already being cheaper and not bundled with bloatware, if the Xbone does finally get released in the markets Microsoft assumes doesn't exist, why would gamers want to pay $500 for a system that they more than likely already have games for on their Ps4 or PC?

and I swear to god, if someone says Titanfall..........

Kalezian:

Diablo1099:

remember the last Xbone thread? where they say Indie games wont be coming until 2014?

I said the same thing. It seems whenever Microsoft says something, "Titanfall looks amazing, guys." is usually followed right behind it.

I dont normally wish a game to become a massive failure, but to me it will be hilarious if Titanfall sucks so bad that gamers want a full refund for it.

also, someone learn Harrison some economics and financing real quick.

if product A is only being released in between 8 and 13 markets during the same time period that product B is going to be released in, say, 21 markets, including those that product A will be released in, then product A, regardless of how many sale it does get, wont be getting sales in the remaining eight markets [assuming the Xbone actually releases in the 13 markets they say it will].

With the Ps4 already being cheaper and not bundled with bloatware, if the Xbone does finally get released in the markets Microsoft assumes doesn't exist, why would gamers want to pay $500 for a system that they more than likely already have games for on their Ps4 or PC?

and I swear to god, if someone says Titanfall..........

The real funny thing is that titanfall is on PC as well, so anyone that has a PC and PS4 is set for the forseeable future.

rhizhim:
ah yes.

Oh god, that picture! It really does an excellent job of describing Microsoft right now.

mechalynx:

rhizhim:
ah yes.

Oh god, that picture! It really does an excellent job of describing Microsoft right now.

How about this one?

Because really, they don't seem to know what winning means.

This guy needs to learn from Bobby Kotick and shut up. He's bringing nothing but negative press down on his company's head. If the XBone flunks (which is looking very likely), I think he's going to be out on his ass.

You know, I don't necessarily disagree with what he's saying, I mean, I'm interested in more exclusive titles on Xbox One than I am on PS4, but Christ alive, do they have to sound so arrogant about everything?

Maybe someone at MS should try to keep the likes or Harrison quiet for a while.

SomeLameStuff:

mechalynx:
*stuff*

How about this one?

Because really, they don't seem to know what winning means.

This guy needs to learn from Bobby Kotick and shut up. He's bringing nothing but negative press down on his company's head. If the XBone flunks (which is looking very likely), I think he's going to be out on his ass.

No, that would be us, the audience.

No, they should never ever shut up. That'd be the end of my daily dose of high quality comedy.

'Winning the games message.'

Mentions only Titanfall every 10 minutes.

Isn't a launch title.

"If in doubt mention Titanfall" - Ancient Microsoft proverb.

CriticalMiss:
"If in doubt mention Titanfall" - Ancient Microsoft proverb.

At this rate Titanfall is going to a dead horse before it has a chance to live.

I can't help but feel that Microsoft is trying to outdo Call of Duty with Titanfall, and we all know how that usually turns out...

Karloff:
Harrison claims Microsoft has learned from its mistakes - or, as Microsoft would prefer to think of it, taken on feedback that indicated it was too far ahead of the curve - and changed its plans accordingly.

So Microsoft still refuses to admit that they were full of shit.

Karloff:
One of the things that isn't so good is the limited console release; first it was only going to be out in 21 countries, and now it's limiting itself to 13. The other 8 markets will get a chance to buy the Xbox One sometime in 2014, while the rest of the world might get a look in at some point.

Yeah why Microsoft would limit themselves to so few markets is beyond me. Esp. since their number 1 priority is making money. How are they going to maximize their profits in so few markets.

Karloff:

Will the games library be what pushes the Xbox One into first place? Possibly, but some of the flashier titles - Titanfall and Project Spark, to name two - don't have confirmed release dates yet, despite occupying a sizeable chunk of Microsoft's E3 event. Come Christmas, we shall see.

Since most gamers are the shallow instant gratification types it probably will. Well ok maybe not most, but enough for Microsoft.

Yes and the message is "We have games all the sports TV you can watch!"

The PR/Marketing from Microsoft is really lacking any kind of substance anymore. Most of the X1 stories coming out these days are so empty in actual content that it has to be only in order to keep people from forgetting about it. One has to assume that if they really were winning they wouldn't feel the need to put out a statement every couple of days saying how great they are doing.

At the very least the comment sections on these articles are always entertaining.

Ronack:
For once I'd like a company, or politicians even, to just come out and say they were flat-out wrong and wanted to steer our society down a path where they grow richer and we grow poorer and more submissive to our "company overlords". Not just "ahead of the curve" because that's a curve nobody even wants, so stop shoving it down our throats and expect us to say thank you. You dun goofed, and you have to pay for your mistake.

Believe it or not....I'd like that too. If only so they're upfront about their plans. But here's the issue; I don''t want to hate these guys, I really don't. I supported them throughout the 360's run. (Yeah,I know,they'll keep releasing games for the 360 for 5 more years,but they've essentially moved on.) Although the bull crap that happened with the Indie game section of their marketplace going missing after their last big update certainly didn't help. Somebody needs to give Microsoft an intervention. We're worried about you guys,MS. You done screwed up,admit it. But at least they're consisent with their lie,even if it is slowly being revealed how much of a total load it was. I mena, talk about a role reversal. I can't be the only one that notices this,right? Remeber back when the 360 and PS3 were recently relaesed(Like a few years or so)? Like how the PS3 had only a few games,and was 500 bucks, where as the 360 Elite had the lesser price, a few more games, (It's been a while, I can't recall the specifics) and had original Xbox games on XBL? Now the roles are reversed. I want the PS4, not just for its lower price, but for the games, and because of the drama that went down after the Xbox One80's reveal. I know they've back pedaled and reversed most of the things we were angry about (used games,it now won't need to check our connection every 24 hours,the DRM) but I'm not going to buy it. Not just yet. Quick,Microsoft! Lie harder, and they might believe you! /sarcasm =)

Titanfall the next Duke Nukem Forever, it has been so hyped up that it cannot possibly deliver the sheer amount of awesome they are promising.

i've never wanted something that effects me so indirectly, to crash n burn so badly.

Xbone sounds so restrictive and "Press X to have fun"-ish that i inexplicably hate it and i am disappointed in my friends who have preordered

"That includes Titanfall - "the most awarded game in the history of E3"

"Which won't get released until sometime in early 2014."

Really? Offering awards to unreleased titles has to be the dumbest practice I've ever heard of. They were too ahead of the curve? Jeez, Microsoft's hubris is ridiculous. At this point I'm avoiding their entire company on general principle. The company is awful, they don't seem to understand that their PR shouldn't be making people actively angry. They're so passive aggressive, it hurts. "We're sorry for being so far ahead of the curve, that's on us guys." To quote the guy from Pitch Black, I would rather piss glass then buy an Xbox1. It's alright though, they can keep their little paperweight. I'll go give my money to Sony, or worst case, to Valve, who atleast appear to respect their customers.

Microsoft, I hope you know sports and TV are not the "games" we are looking for.

I feel the need ... the need to point out that Titanfall is not a xbox one exclusive. It will be on PC and even on the 360. I can't play Second son or Shadow fall on any other platform. Just saying

I don't have a great 'read' on the gaming community as a whole, mostly 'cause I doubt it can be classified as a 'community' at all. But I do have several friends that play, along with myself, which is what I'm guessing most people have as a focus group. Now I bring this up because I'm extrapolating our opinions to the community at large. None of us are going to buy any of the new systems, at least in 2013. The occasional pole taken by Escapist or the other gaming sites kinda' reflect that, with the results being: PS4: 24%, X-box 1: 13%, Not buying: 63%. That actually comes from a Cheezeburger pole a few weeks ago. I can't imagine those numbers have improved.

There was no reason to create the PS4 or Xbone. I think this is building up to another video game crash, where publishers write themselves huge checks and bonuses before a system has even launched. It going to be a disaster and I'll be shocked out of my mind if either Sony or Microsoft makes half of their projected numbers.

Ramziez:
Microsoft, I hope you know sports and TV are not the "games" we are looking for.

Wait, you mean people buy a game console for more than the NFL, social media, and call of duty dog with realistic fish physics? This is perfect for all Americans, as we all have perfect internet connections with blazing fast speeds!

Captcha: Yee haw... Ahh of course a reference to the American mythological hero in a thread on the US-centric focus of the XB1. Sneaky

They sure are in a lot of denial. Are people really that excited about Titanfall? Because if they are then I'm missing something. Does anyone outside of Microsoft even care that a bunch of trailers for the game received some awards? The game itself didn't get anything, because it's not released yet. And it's not even their game. Or an exclusive. It's an EA game for the PC as well. And it's a Source engine game. Which means almost any PC in existence will be able to run it.

If they just had the balls to say they were being stupid, that'd mean a lot. But no, they're "winning," and weren't wrong, just "ahead of the curve."

At this point, I won't buy any of their shit even if it turns out to be really good.

Oh for fucks sake...

Sure, you changed your direction Microsoft but not before massive outcry from essentially everyone who gave a shit about the Xbox One beyond it being the next 'COD machine.' If you were truly ahead of the curve you wuldn't have to be doing that kind of paranoid and restrictive crap in the first place! "Bob," this condescension is fucking maddening!

I am just laughing so hard right now. Microsoft has found out that all they can do is feed the fanboys with delusional talk of grandeur. They have completely given up on trying to compete for new audiences, and are solely focusing on making sure that the Xbox fanboys are fed high quality bullshit propaganda. Don't believe me? Take a look at this then; MS's Gamescom 2013 "we are the best to develop for" movie:
http://youtu.be/rJOEtvdHoAw?t=2m12s

I mean... they basically just looked at what indies have said about developing for Sony, and just copied it with a bunch of sellout devs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here