Need for Speed Movie Trailer Is Seriously Dramatic Business

The official trailer for the Need for Speed movie is a drama-laden ode to the resilience of the human psyche that you probably don't want to miss.

Just kidding! It's actually a CGI-fueled slice of overwrought nonsense, with some guy doing his best "I am a biblical badass" reading for a Fox TV series while the violins play in the background and supercars slam into one another and flip end-over-end in gravity-defying displays of aerobatic awesomeness. What's going on? I have no idea; it looks like a cross between The Fast and the Furious and Vanishing Point, with maybe a hint of Ryan Gosling envy going on, but really it's just VROOM VROOM SMASH BASH CRASH "oh my tortured soul" ZOOM ZOOM!

Am I being overly dismissive? Perhaps. It's possible that Need for Speed will be a legitimately solid action flick packed with an exciting array of licensed sports cars duking it out in eye-popping street races. But you know what? I'm not holding my breath. Call me a cynic if you will.

Need for Speed is set to hit screens in the U.S. in March 2014.

Yeesh, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or something? I think it's quite obvious that Need for Speed is trying to be its own thing, and not just another racing movie a la Fast & Furious. The trailer even promises a movie that combines Fast & Furious with the drama of a movie, say, Drive. It looks like it can be a fun movie, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Of all the games that didn't need a movie, NFS is definitely at the top. Besides, don't we already have a whole pile of car flicks? F&F, Gone in 60 Seconds etc.

Yeahhh... No. Games like this turn out to be a generic movie, but it could worse, Uwe Bowl (is that how you spell it?) could be behind it lol

Boo! not even one "...bitch!" at the end of a sentence.

Milanezi:
Yeahhh... No. Games like this turn out to be a generic movie, but it could worse, Uwe Bowl (is that how you spell it?) could be behind it lol

OI! Uwe Boll is not THAT bad. I mean, the Postal movie was hilarious, the Far Cry movie is in the spirit, tHotD movie was campy but fun (but so was the game), Bloodrain (at least 1) was superb.
Uwe Boll makes ok to nice movies. I don't see so many people trashing the Resident Evil movie or the Silent Hill movies (those were truly aweful) or even that asspergers Prince of Persia movie (anything Dysney nowadays is pretty much a guarantee of bad)!

I liked the Need for Speeds where the closed thing to a super car was a Nissan Skyline. But I guess a cover with a Civic doesn't sell games.

Andy Chalk:

- snip -
with some guy doing his best "I am a biblical badass" reading for a Fox TV series

- snip -

Seriously? It's Jessie "bitch" Pinkman right there! Some guy? I don't watch Breaking Bad, and even I know who he is.

I worked security for this movie when they filmed the some of the city chase scenes in Georgia, when one of the mechanics told me the premise of the story I knew it would be shit, looks like I was right. Also the production company were filled with a bunch of assholes, they didn't pay the security company I worked for so I didn't get paid for the work I did till two months after I had done it. Fuck them and their shitty movie, also tanner foust did the stunt driving for them, he was alright.

Aaron Paul is not "some guy". I really hope he finds his spot in the acting business because action hero lead I can't imagine will be it. He'd be a great voice actor, it's very distinct.

Andy Chalk:

The official trailer for the Need for Speed movie is a drama-laden ode to the resilience of the human psyche that you probably don't want to miss.

Just kidding! It's actually a CGI-fueled slice of overwrought nonsense, with some guy doing his best "I am a biblical badass" reading for a Fox TV series while the violins play in the background and supercars slam into one another and flip end-over-end in gravity-defying displays of aerobatic awesomeness. What's going on? I have no idea; it looks like a cross between The Fast and the Furious and Vanishing Point, with maybe a hint of Ryan Gosling envy going on, but really it's just VROOM VROOM SMASH BASH CRASH "oh my tortured soul" ZOOM ZOOM!

Am I being overly dismissive? Perhaps. It's possible that Need for Speed will be a legitimately solid action flick packed with an exciting array of licensed sports cars duking it out in eye-popping street races. But you know what? I'm not holding my breath. Call me a cynic if you will.

Need for Speed is set to hit screens in the U.S. in March 2014.

Andy Chalk:

Just kidding! It's actually a CGI-fueled slice of overwrought nonsense, with some guy doing his best "I am a biblical badass" reading for a Fox TV series while the violins play in the background and supercars slam into one another and flip end-over-end in gravity-defying displays of aerobatic awesomeness.

Andy Chalk:

some guy

EX
CUSE

ME?

WHAT?

Hey, wait here, lissen.

Did you just

aw hell naw

Ain't no one gonna be talking about Jesse Pinkman like that. I'm calling Walter.

You best not be cooking meth when he gets there.

... bitch.

OT:
Yeah uh, this doesn't look that bad :P I might even see it.

spwatkins:
Boo! not even one "...bitch!" at the end of a sentence.

"I feel the need for speed... bitch!" *car reves up and speeds passed a police car blockade*

OT: Despite having no expectations for this movie... I will check this movie out and I might actually enjoy the ride... bitch... LOL...

(Also, apparently, Jesse can never hold on to a girlfriend... even in a movie based on a popular racing game... The YouTube comments crack me up...)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here