NBA Jam Designer Rigged the Game Against Bulls

NBA Jam Designer Rigged the Game Against Bulls

If you ever lost against the Pistons while playing the Bulls, now you know.

It had to happen at least once, perhaps even to you. It might have been a Sunday morning with you and your brother crowding around the Genesis playing NBA Jam. He was playing the Pistons, you the Bulls. It was close. You tossed a killer shot, but it got swiped away. You shouted insults at both the game and your brother in equal measure. Secretly, you blamed yourself. Now, cast off your shame, as it's come to light that Mark Turmell, the lead designer of NBA Jam, tweaked the code behind the scenes so his preferred team would win.

In an interview with ESPN, Turmell admits to altering the balance just a bit. "If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that [the Pistons] would average out to be bricks." The reason? Favoritism. "There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field."

Hopefully that news can quell any sibling rivalries that still persist. Turmell also shares some other memories of the seminal basketball game, like how Shaq was a huge fan. Apparently, he loved NBA Jam so much he owned two arcade machines: one to keep at home, and the other to take on the road. "[T]hey shipped the game with them on their road trips, setting up the machine in their hotel rooms as they traveled," he recalls. "The players would play, then get someone to pack it up and ship it off to the next city."

Source: ESPN

Before anyone else posts it...

honestly though, the only thing I remember from that game was the incredibly annoying intro song which is why I opted for a TFGrumps video instead of the music chip song.

That, and Small Kalezian wondering why in the game it was 2v2 when real basketball had more players.

Once you got pretty used to the play of the game, it became necessary to STOP doing dunks because you spent so much time in the air it gave the defender time to line up the block, which became ridiculously easy once you got used to it. So you ended up having to do a lot of jump-shots to win - totally contrary to the initial appeal of the game.

Aldo, that kind of game-tweaking is un-ethical. Sure, make Joe Dumars' 3-point % unrealistically high if you want to help out the Pistons - that's fine, there are examples of over-tuned players everywhere in games. But to make the adjustment invisible to the player on the back-end of the code is dirty.

oh that is pretty funny to be honest...

i remember getting FUCKING PISSED at this game back in the day, god it was amazing but annoying as hell at the same time. Since the game is so old i'm not too peeved about it.

'Course it never mattered to me since I played as the Charlotte Hornets. No one beat Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning.

The Great JT:
'Course it never mattered to me since I played as the Charlotte Hornets. No one beat Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning.

Don't forget my height idol, Muggsy Bogues.

Mike Kayatta:

The Great JT:

Who couldn't? That was back in the day before there was a height requirement for the NBA.

Unsurprising behavior from a fan of the team that played the game like it was hockey...

I fucking knew it. I knew that fucking game was rigged... I played middle-school buddies of mine for what seemed like months Bulls/Pistons and we were so close in skill that same scenario happened so many goddamn times... FUCK YOU for your bias dude...
Seriously, that does explain it and yes I do feel it was f'ed up.

You think this is something? The NBA rigged the actual games that Jordan played in. Like, for real. Making calls in his favor to give him an advantage.

Aughh...WHAT?
Haha that's crazy. I ALWAYS chose the Bulls cause I knew precisely jack shit about basketball, except that Jordan was on the Bulls, and Jordan's (at the time) like....realy good..right?

The Peppin guy turned out to be my favorite though.

The Great JT:

Mike Kayatta:

The Great JT:

Who couldn't? That was back in the day before there was a height requirement for the NBA.

Earl Boykins would like to dispute that...

tdylan:
You think this is something? The NBA rigged the actual games that Jordan played in. Like, for real. Making calls in his favor to give him an advantage.

The NBA has also done that for...

Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Jason Kidd, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose, Amare Stoudamire, Kevin Garnett, Patrick Ewing, and Gary Payton.

If you are a superstar level player, the referees will not call anything on you unless it is so obvious they would get fired if they didn't. Because people wouldn't watch games if superstars sat because of foul trouble.

MONEY MONEY MONEY... MUNNNN-NNNAAAY!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here