Pokemon Origins Anime Premieres in US Nov. 15

Pokemon Origins Anime Premieres in US Nov. 15

The retelling of the Kanto region, this time without protagonist Ash Ketchum, will be told in four episodes.

It comes as no surprise that Pokemon Origins has received a western release given the massive popularity of the series. Following the original Japanese announcement of the tribute to Pokemon Red and Blue, the four-episode anime will be streamed in the west via Pokemon TV. The first episode will air on Nov. 15, and the following episodes will be available over the following days.

The Pokemon Company also released an English trailer. Just like the Japanese trailer, the only difference is that it's in English now. It's a huge throwback to the original Blue and Red games with the same Gengar and Nidorino fight, cueing to the start screen for the two games. As seen earlier, Ash and Gary are absent from Origins. The protagonist, Red, and his rival, Blue - with the same physical appearances from the game - choose their starter Pokemon from Professor Oak. Familiar gym leaders like Brock and Elite Four dragon-type trainer Lance appear. Team Rocket are also due for an appearance, but this time it will be without the lovable trio of Jessie, James, and Meowth we've come to love over all these years.

Pokemon Origins is highly unlikely to bring anything we haven't suspected for anyone who's played Blue and Red, but it brings a nice dose of nostalgia.

Source: Pokemon Company

Here's hoping it's good. I think it will be.

Anyone see it?

well, looks like it'll live up to most peoples expectations, I think a lot of people already know whether they're gonna enjoy or dislike it. as as long as they keep in mind that with only 4 episodes a lot is going to go unmentioned.

It's only four episodes? Unless they are very long episodes then they are going to skip out a lot of story. Not to mention you couldn't catch them all in four episodes! It looks nice but I'm worried that it's not going to be as thorough as it needs to be to tell the Pokeymans story. I'm guessing there will be at least one montage though.

But the rival's name is Green.

Here's hoping nothing from the others generations like mega evolutions or newer Pokémon will be present. Not saying that a hate them, but that wouldn't really make sense.

CriticalMiss:
It's only four episodes? Unless they are very long episodes then they are going to skip out a lot of story. Not to mention you couldn't catch them all in four episodes! It looks nice but I'm worried that it's not going to be as thorough as it needs to be to tell the Pokeymans story. I'm guessing there will be at least one montage though.

The entire thing will be about 2 hours and since it will be split into 4 parts, time skips will probably take place between them.

Pickapok:
But the rival's name is Green.

The rival's name is blue in the us because green never originally came to the US and the girl who's blue over there is green over here. Technically both names are true but that's translations for ya.

I like the narrator. Much better than the "You can by a super Cyan!" from the DBZ kinect game.

Although the trailer brought a smile to my face, the narration just feels off.

Maybe i am just too used to the old narrators voice. (should it be the same guy, damn he changed, and not for the better IMO)

I want that music on my Ipod...omfg.

Cannot wait for this, here is hoping that if Origins is successful, they will carry on doing stuff like this...for longer!

Of course it will be great, the world's greatest (incompetent) trainer won't be there! After several seasons, Ash's character is becoming bog-standard crap that is far too repetitive, even for a game whose sole principal is "catch, evolve, catch, trade, catch". It's getting to the point where they need to make him dumber, just to keep using him. All those fancy tricks he comes up with his pokemon's special moves, the lessons of "trust your pokemon"? He forgets them all just so he can learn about them again (or in the case of special tricks, make an "oh yeah!" moment about them then continue not using them). They need to dump him, plain and simple. I was hoping they were going to do that a while back in a prior season when they were showing off the female companion first instead of Ash ruining something.

It won't be AS great though, because it will lack the only saving grace of Team Rocket. Jessie and James have been great characters for the series, and while they make for decent antagonists, they always play better when they aren't playing those specific roles. Episodes dealing with their lives outside of TR are probably the best, with the highlights being those that focused on Jame's rich family (as well as his forced marriage he's so desperate to avoid). Remembering the scene with him and his Growlith always brings a bit of a manly tear to my eye.

However, that does mean this will also be better, because it won't have the bastardized version of Jessie and James present, seeing as they've been doing nothing but trying to up the "villain" level with them to boring results. No funny little send-offs, no side-competitions, nothing that actually shows or builds up their characters. This would technically fall before that time (seeing as this issue is present in Black/White alone), but still.

I'm assuming lavender town and missingno won't make appearances.

Though, wouldn't it be really funny if in the first episode the professor was all "Oh, I remember now, his name is ASSHOLE!"

So ehm.. Is his rival Green.. Gonna choose a Grass Pokemon?

Nikolaz72:
So ehm.. Is his rival Green.. Gonna choose a Grass Pokemon?

His rival isn't Green, it's Blue. The colors were changed from Green in the Japanese version to Blue in the U.S./International release. Also, it shows Red choosing a Charmander and a Blastoise letting out a huge burst of water right after Blue stands confidently and proclaims something (probably because

so it can be assumed that Blue chooses a Squirtle.

....Also, your gif avatar is awesome and cute...Just saying.

...I'm still choosing Fennekin, though. :P

OP: This looks really good. But only four episodes? They've got a lot of ground to cover story-wise...Though, FLCL was only six episodes, and that was freaking awesome, so maybe they could tell as much as they need to in that time...

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)