Assassin's Creed IV Video Introduces a Cast of Historical Pirates

Assassin's Creed IV Video Introduces a Cast of Historical Pirates

Assassin's Creed has always enjoyed mixing recognizable historical figures into its storylines, and that practice is a lot more fun when those historical figures are salty swashbucklers.

The Assassin's Creed series is pretty fun on its own, but history buffs usually get some extra enjoyment from the games. Granted, Ubisoft doesn't always provide the most accurate representations of historical events, but things usually aren't far off. This looks to be the case again in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, where you'll be rubbing elbows with infamous pirates like Blackbeard.

If you're familiar with the dawn of the 18th century, sometimes called the "Golden Age of Piracy," you'll recognize some of the brigands Edward Kenway encounters. Edward Teach (a.k.a. Blackbeard) seems to play a major role in Edward's story, as does Benjamin Hornigold - a polite pirate who once captured a ship just to steal its crew's hats, as his own crew had gotten drunk and thrown their own hats overboard the night before. Place your bets now for whether that scene will show up in the game - I'm thinking it's too good to pass up.

Also appearing in the trailer are two notable sailors likely to be antagonists - Charles Vane, a notoriously cruel pirate who disregarded the pirate code, and Woodes Rogers, a privateer famous for suppressing the pirates of the Caribbean. How Edward Kenway interacts with these larger-than-life characters remains to be seen, but don't be surprised if it involves stabbing.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag embarks for current gen consoles on October 29.

Source:

[b][a href='/news/view/128209-Assassins-Creed-IV-Video-Introduces-a-Cast-of-Historical-Pirates']Permalink[/b]

the thing that annoys me about this game is that now no one will likely make another good pirate game for a while...and this one isn't actually about pirates and piratin' its sort of just co-opting the scenery as it passes through :(

i wish someone would make good pirate games...wait, not those kind...a good games about pirates...

i really like...games with pirates in them...got a shelf of them...but its not enough (most aren't very good).

hell, i'd settle for a Sid Meier's Pirates! open ended and mod-able expansion on kickstarter and die a happy man...

anyway it looks cool for fans of the series i guess but not for me.

If Jack Sparrow, or at least a drunken Pirate called Jack, doesn't make some sort of caemo for shits and giggles i'll be pissed...

However, awesome trailer, cannot wait to play this! October is going to kill my wallet

^ They'll probably have some guy give Jack Sparrow as a fake name when we interrogate him.

The game looks pretty enough, but the interesting setting seems a bit...tacked on. Hopefully they'll give the setting a thorough working over.

I'm surprised more people aren't on-board with pirate games. There's avast collection of fascinating characters to draw from in addition to, say, lore that can be used as inspiration. I'll be straight-up irate if I don't get my seasick fix soon. Awesome pirate games are few and farrr between, and the pirating part of Sly Cooper 3 won't tide me over forever.

Scurvy.

It's Ok, they just keep climbing, which means that when they fall it'll be a really long fall. OK, I'm done, that is all the cynicism I can muster. Seriously though, this just feels like they are trying too hard, and the ship combat in the last game wasn't THAT fun.

Cognimancer:
Benjamin Hornigold - a polite pirate who once captured a ship just to steal its crew's hats, as his own crew had gotten drunk and thrown their own hats overboard the night before. Place your bets now for whether that scene will show up in the game - I'm thinking it's too good to pass up.

Obviously, if Valve wants to be safe, they need to crack down on piracy.

first of all:
damn and i thought we would get to meet hook and finally stab the damn peter in his green pyjamas.

second:

i wish they didnt go just for the most famous pirates but included other interesting privateers like:

Klaus Störtebeker

The most famous legend of Störtebeker relates to the execution itself. Störtebeker is said to have asked the mayor of Hamburg to release as many of his companions as he could walk past after being beheaded. Following the granting of this request and the subsequent beheading, Störtebeker's body arose and walked past eleven of his men before the executioner tripped him with an outstretched foot. Nevertheless, the eleven men were executed along with the others. The senate of Hamburg asked the executioner if he was not tired after all this, but he replied he could easily execute the whole of the senate as well. For this, he himself was sentenced to death and executed by the youngest member of the senate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_St%C3%B6rtebeker

Sleekit:
the thing that annoys me about this game is that now no one will likely make another good pirate game for a while...and this one isn't actually about pirates and piratin' its sort of just co-opting the scenery as it passes through :(

i wish someone would make good pirate games...wait, not those kind...a good games about pirates...

i really like...games with pirates in them...got a shelf of them...but its not enough (most aren't very good).

hell, i'd settle for a Sid Meier's Pirates! open ended and mod-able expansion on kickstarter and die a happy man...

anyway it looks cool for fans of the series i guess but not for me.

when was the last time you played a good pirate game?

the last one i remember was risen 2 and it was shit. before that you didnt have many besides a remake of sids pirates.
this game might do the opposite you are worried about: spawn more pirate themed games.

Malbourne:
The game looks pretty enough, but the interesting setting seems a bit...tacked on. Hopefully they'll give the setting a thorough working over.

I'm surprised more people aren't on-board with pirate games. There's avast collection of fascinating characters to draw from in addition to, say, lore that can be used as inspiration. I'll be straight-up irate if I don't get my seasick fix soon. Awesome pirate games are few and farrr between, and the pirating part of Sly Cooper 3 won't tide me over forever.

Scurvy.

The puns here gave me a braingasm as I picked them all out!

OT - Presumably we will also meet Captain Kidd...after all the treasure hunting we did for his biggest fan in ACIII?

arc1991:
If Jack Sparrow, or at least a drunken Pirate called Jack, doesn't make some sort of caemo for shits and giggles i'll be pissed...

However, awesome trailer, cannot wait to play this! October is going to kill my wallet

John Rackham, also known as Calico Jack, should be around. His Jolly Roger is the one used for Jack Sparrow's ships in the movies.

I hope that they make Blackbeard abhor violence like he did in real life. I always found that kind of cute about him!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here