Valve Reveals the Steam Controller

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

A first glance it looks like a car seat cushion for a small child.

I not sure what to make of it, I mean it looks like it would handle completely different to any controller I've ever used. Though the prospect of being able to play Civ with a controller and have function quite close to mouse and keyboard does have me intrigued. I don't imagine the performance would out do mouse and keyboard for certain games but if it works as they intend it to then it could be a nice middle ground option.

SonOfVoorhees:
I know its a way to play steam games on your tv. BUT. I really dont think it will be better than a mouse and keyboard. An i also doubt pc gamers will use a controller if they have a choice of a mouse/keyboard as well.

Most likely not. I doubt Valve's controller, even with it's proposed advances, can match the speed and accuracy of a mouse.

However, that's not the point. Valve's not "abandoning" keyboard and mouse. They're simply trying to bridge the gap a bit between current controllers and k+m setups.

Essentially: providing a more robust and precise input mechanism that still functions in the "comfort spaces" you'd normally use a controller in.

ScrabbitRabbit:
X and Y couldn't be in a worse place.

I'm not sold at the moment. Will be sticking to KB+M and my 360 pad.

I concur. It also looks uncomfortable, particularly when compared to my Corsair peripherals.

Will this controller be open to third parties? Because I feel like Corsair, Logitech, Razer, etc could make it nicer. Otherwise I'll stick to mouse and key until the X1 controller comes out to replace the woeful Dpad on the 360 pad so I can use a controller competently for the one thin I use it for.

Agayek:
Snip

Hmm, that is a lot better than I thought. Seems very shooter-focused, though. I'd like to know how it will perform with a game like, say, Sleeping Dogs or Arkham. It seems inferior to our current solutions in that respect.

I suppose I'll wait for some reviews and give it a go if any of my friends get one.

Crazie_Guy:
Looks like this'll be one of those things you have to try to understand. I hope the feedback works as well as they think it does in replacing physical feedback from a stick.

Because it's not supposed to simulate a stick, but a mouse, tracking location, not direction.

It's not an "I keep nudging the stick 30 degrees upwards, so character please start following that direction", but "I'm moving the cursor 2 centimeters forward, and I expect the screen to follow it instantly".

How will in emulate an entire keyboard? I know that not every game requires dozens of keys, most for obscure and minor things, but it seems a bit of a stretch to do everything with one controller. Especially for games that have a lot of quick action bits going on. It also looks a bit like the disembodied head of a robot with a thousand yard stare, looking in to your very soul... /O_O\ obeythecontrollerobeythecontrollerobeythecontroller

Haptic sounds cool and all. I'm mostly skeptic about the whole "emulating keyboard and mouse setup". The controller has nowhere near the amount of keys on my keyboard, and replacing the right look thumbstick for a trackpad does not emulate, at least in my case, the precision of a mouse to point around. I have never felt comfortable pointing with my thumb, it feels awkward. I guess I'll have to wait and see. It doesn't translate to emulating a mouse/keyboard setup, it translates to emulating the mappings of console controller limited controls to a keyboard/mouse setup.

What the fuck is that? No, seriously, what the fuck is that thing?

This has the potential to get ever-so-slightly ranty, so I will preface this by saying that I like reading about controller ergonomics, and how controllers are designed, so any frothiness that ensues is a result of everything I know about controller design being challenged by this... thing.

Firstly, track pads instead of analogue sticks? Are you fucking kidding me Gaben? It's been tried before, it doesn't work. Analogue sticks offer more tactile feedback, and greater responsiveness. You can tell how fast or slow yoru character is walking without even looking just by feeling the physical response of the analogue stick. Sony tried using trackpads on their Xperia Playstation phone, and while it was a noble endeavour, ultimately it proved to be a far inferior method of input. Analogue sticks have stuck around for a reason Gaben. When it comes to regular controllers (not motion controllers), they work.

Secondly, where are the face buttons? Where are the buttons which will readily allow me to input various commands? All I can see is ABXY thrown all the way around a controller. That makes no sense. The reason why face buttons are usually collected into a diamond on the right-hand side of the controller is because a) it allows for easy access to all buttons for the right thumb, and b) it allows gamers to input action commands while still moving using the left analogue stick, which is hugely important for platformers, shooters, and pretty much every other genre in the history of forever. Having four face buttons thrown around the centre of the controller makes about as much sense as the N64's third handle. Less even, because at least the N64 controller worked for FPS games. Good luck trying to input action commands while moving using the Steam controller.

The other image you released suggests that Valve only have four bumper buttons, same as regular controllers:

So this thing is literally only going to give you four bumper buttons to play with while using the trackpads, and is going to demand that the rest of your action inputs are done with the weird facebuttons which don't fall within easy reach of the right thumb? How the hell are you supposed to play something like (for argument sake) DmC? Or any sort of game which requires rapid input of various combat buttons?

Lastly, where is the damn d-pad? You're honestly going to put out a controller, and not even include a d-pad? Those things have been mandatory since the 80s. even the 360 controller benefited from having a d-pad. Sure, it may have been a circular piece of unresponsive crap, but at least it let you quickly access items in COD, Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden II and about a million other games. What the heck are gamers supposed to do instead? Reach across to their keyboards and press the F1-10 keys?

I realise this may sound close to hyperbole, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a controller as unappealing as this. Sure, it looks all futuristic and has that 'brave new world' appeal, but regular controllers have stuck with certain paradigms for a reason. Analogue sticks work. Face buttons work. D-pads work. Track pads, randomly scattered buttons and a complete lack of a d-pad does not.

I say this as someone with a Steam account and a growing Steam library. I hate this thing. If Valve are going to push out Steam machines, I only hope they support third-party controllers, because this controller looks like a turd.

It looks interesting and I am eager to see how it works. After the disappointing reveal of the OS (I want to see some actual info about the damn thing) and the completely painful reveal of a "Steam Machine" (Dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard), I was beginning to lose hope. While this is also not that great of a reveal, it is better than the two prior.

SageRuffin:

First impressions weigh far, far more than the average person wants to admit.

Just some food for thought.

Oh, absolutely. I know that.

However, that doesn't change how incredibly ignorant it is to pass judgement on anything without first looking into it.

Hell, like I'd said prior, most didn't even read the info page about the controller. They just looked a the picture, saw something "different", and went straight to dismissive.

Even more to the point, some of the people I've talked with so far who at first thought the controller was dumb are now, in the very least, intrigued. Simply because, upon hearing their complaints, I explained a bit more on what the controller is proposed to do and what kind of features it has.

It's the classic case of "a little bit of knowledge...". I just wish the internet at large would take heed of such an adage. Most of us are too quick to judge.

All that said, who knows? Maybe the controller is a colossal pile of "fail". It could be the worst concept since the Virtual Boy controller.

None of us will know until we get our hands on it.

Heh. If you haven't gone to the original site where they made the announcement, you really should.

My favorite bit from it: "Whole genres of games that were previously only playable with a keyboard and mouse are now accessible from the sofa. RTS games. Casual, cursor-driven games. Strategy games. 4x space exploration games. A huge variety of indie games. Simulation titles. And of course, Euro Truck Simulator 2."

It's the "And of course" bit that gets me. Whaddya gotta do to get special notice like that?

Hm....
Ill see about the touchpads. I dont like emulations of a stick on a touchpad, but Ill see about the physical feedback here.

I really dont like the button-placement! They are clustered around the sticks/pads. I imagine playing a jumnrun and eveytime I want to press the 2 left main buttons I need to wrestle around with my left hand or take the finger of the main-stick.
I am playing Rayman Legends atm and dont know if this would work out fine.
Also I kinda miss the 4-way-jopad the Xbox 360 controller has.
As for the screen in the middle: Interesting. Im curous what will be done with it.

CriticalMiss:
How will in emulate an entire keyboard? I know that not every game requires dozens of keys, most for obscure and minor things, but it seems a bit of a stretch to do everything with one controller. Especially for games that have a lot of quick action bits going on.

As lomg as those minor and obscure things can also be activated in menus, and on-screen icons, then simulating a mouse and cursor is bigger deal than the keyboard. And most games do have that possibility, hotkeys are more of an addition than a requirement.

Having extra hotkeys is sometimes a nice to have if possible, but it is the joystick vs. cursor limitation that is the bottleneck of keeping strategy games, or simulators, from consoles.

Right, because the trackpad on my laptop works so well.
Sigh, I am just so sick of hearing about VALVe anymore...in fact, I'm sick of almost all news about any company.

This is nice and all but the main question is going to be price isn't it? Haptic gobbledygook and resonant actuators are nice and all but if all this fancy tech costs more than 60 bucks or so because of all the things in it, I think I'd rather just have a nice old fashioned controller.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I know my controllers get banged up and putting fancy sounding tech in something that will be dropped, thrown and possibly kicked seems like a stupid idea

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

You've missed a bunch of details in your rage. Things like the trackpads being clickable, the triggers, the three buttons on the bottom front, and a COMPLETE misunderstanding of how the trackpads even work.

Tactile feedback? They've covered it.

Different-than-normal controller components? It worked when Nintendo did it.

D-Pad has been replaced by touchscreen (which automatically overlays on the screen when used).

If you actually examine the bleeding picture you posted of Portal 2's default scheme, you'll note that the "badly placed" front buttons all have secondary use. They're expecting you to access your normal functions via shoulder triggers and rear triggers as well as clicking your trackpad.

So much rage over so much wild guessing and half-read sources. Give them a chance to let us try them, for God's sakes.

OK, can someone please explain to me how those trackpads are supposed to be better for mouse-based games then an analog stick? I mean, you're still just moving your thumbs around, right? It SEEMS exactly like an analog stick, but with less physical feedback.

I'm gonna reserve making final judgements until I get a chance to use the thing, but right now...It kinda seems like they're trying to get the best of both worlds and ending with neither. But, again, I have no idea. Maybe the thing works great.

Chessrook44:
Yeah, I honestly see no way this thing is going to effectively emulate a mouse and keyboard setup without being awkward or clunky, even if it does have 16 buttons.

Exactly my thought when I read the article. I don't know how they intend to have it emulate k/m input for anything more complicated than a FPS. Say I want to play Marvel Heroes with a controler, how does it manage to emulate my 10 hotkeys, my spacebar, and my shift button? It just seems to be kind of gimmicky. I am interested in testing the haptic feedback though, it could be rather interesting or even useful in some scenarios.

Also if the hotkey buttons are supposed to be on the middle touchscreen, then I say poor design. It will be very difficult to get my thumbs back and forth between they movement pads and the middle touch screen and back without growing one of them an extra inch. What I need is a Finglonger!

Phrozenflame500:
It's hard to see how a controller will feel until you hold it in your hands, I'll reserve judgement until then.

Oh come on! This is the internet! Rage and call it stupid and say it will never work. Who needs to actually use it to know if it's a failure or not?! You know Valve has a long history of putting out sub par work just to get a quick buck.

Nope.

Not Half Life 3 and not at all interesting. This was a meh announcement valve decided to make.

Another controller with a touchscreen, another controller that's gonna get broken.

I love touchscreen tech but it's just too bloody fragile to have it for something worthwhile having for a long period of time.

Saviordd1:
Nope.

Not Half Life 3 and not at all interesting. This was a meh announcement valve decided to make.

Happy 2000th post! :D

Also, I'm pretty sure that "We're going to populate the Linux platform and offer an alternative, customizable console and different, customizable controller" is much more interesting news than "Valve says words about some vaporware".

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
snippity snip

You...didn't actually read the info page, did you?

They aren't just slapping some shitty, off-the-shelf laptop trackpads on this thing. They're high resolution trackpads. If they're at all like some of the high-res trackpad tech I've seen elsewhere, then they'll be incredibly accurate. (assuming they're using that tech, of course)

They're including a suite of haptic feedback tech into this thing as well. Something that will provide far more sensory feedback than rumble motors and simple thumbsticks.

As for buttons; direct from the info page: There are a total of sixteen buttons on the Steam Controller. Half of them are accessible to the player without requiring thumbs to be lifted from the trackpads, including two on the back. All controls and buttons have been placed symmetrically, making left or right handedness switchable via a software config checkbox.

So not only can you press more buttons without lifting your thumbs than you can on, say, an Xbox controller, but the symmetrical design let's lefties feel more comfortable.

You have a point about the d-pad, but then...the trackpads can be configured to function just like a d-pad. Complete with clickable inputs.

You also seem to be ignoring the clickable touchscreen in the middle. So not only can you configure it to display whatever you want, but the entire thing can function as a button.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not saying this thing is perfect. In fact, I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it. It's extremely unorthodox. And as I've said previously, it could be a completely worthless piece of junk.

However, I reserve judgement on new ideas like this until I try it.

After all, remember how many people poo-poo'ed the N64 controller for adding an analog stick? It wasn't reviled, at first, just for it's superfluous third handle. Many thought it was the dumbest idea "ever" to have anything but a d-pad and some buttons on the thing.

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You've missed a bunch of details in your rage. Things like the trackpads being clickable, the triggers, the three buttons on the bottom front, and a COMPLETE misunderstanding of how the trackpads even work.

D-Pad has been replaced by touchscreen (which automatically overlays on the screen when used).

If you actually examine the bleeding picture you posted of Portal 2's default scheme, you'll note that the "badly placed" front buttons all have secondary use. They're expecting you to access your normal functions via shoulder triggers and rear triggers as well as clicking your trackpad.

So much rage over so much wild guessing and half-read sources. Give them a chance to let us try them, for God's sakes.

You notice that most people didn't actually read or think about what they read before rushing off to post on their favorite websites their oh so important opinion on the controller too huh?

To me when I first looked at the controller I saw a risk, the sort of risk that most large corporations cannot afford to take.

Looks interesting, won't pass judgement till people have used it.

So, basically, the left track pad is WSAD, and the right trackpad is the mouse. Just my observation from the quick glance at it.

synobal:

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

You notice that most people didn't actually read or think about what they read before rushing off to post on their favorite websites their oh so important opinion on the controller too huh?

To me when I first looked at the controller I saw a risk, the sort of risk that most large corporations cannot afford to take.

When I first looked at it, I thought "wat".

As I read the announcement, I kept thinking "wat".

And when I reviewed it again, it clicked. This thing could be bloody revolutionary, but no one's patient enough to think about it. ;___;

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

No they haven't. Track pads do not offer tactile feedback. My laptop has a track pad, and there's nothing there to tell my fingers how far they've moved. If I need to make small adjustments in movement and aim, I need something which gives me physical feedback with small movements without requiring me to look down at it. Track pads do not do that. They've been tried before, and they are simply an inferior method of inpit.

Because Nintendo didn't forget the basic like having analogue sticks, d-pads, and buttons within easy reach of the thumbs.

And which again offers no physical feedback at all. If I hit right on the d-pad in COD to deploy a sentry gun, I know just from the physical feedback in my fingers that I've hit the right button before the sentry gun ever deploys. Touchscreen controls? Fucked if I know. If I accidentally hit up instead without looking, and called in an airstrike I never meant to, there goes my entire killstreak. Down the fucking drain.

Except that shoulder buttons have their own damn uses. Shooting, iron-sights, accelaration, lock-on, dodging... whatever the genre, shoulder buttons have their own widely accepted uses. Offsetting regular face button inputs to the shoulder buttons makes a mess of the standard inputs people have come to expect in certain genres. Pressing right bumper to jump? I bloody hope not.

And clickable trackpads? Jesus... so how am I supposed to input quick commands if I were to play Streetfighter II? By clicking on the various areas of the trackpad? What if I need to input a half-circle command at the same time? What the hell happens if I need to play anything with fast, precise input timing?

When it comes to standard controller ergonomics, there's a reason why the PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube and Wii U controllers all followed the same broad template. Because it makes sense in gameplay terms. There's nothing wrong with experimenting, but so far it looks like Valve have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. That face button placement alone would have got them laughed out of any school of design in the world.

Even the Ouya's controller looks better than this. The fucking Ouya controller.

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

snip

It looks like he might be afraid of Nintendo losing their throne when it comes to gimmicky control schemes.

OT: The thing looks... interesting. I would have to give it a try before I could declare it awful. I may even be pleasantly surprised. A lot of research and development went into it, so one would think that Valve isn't just throwing away money.

Haptic feedback isn't as good as physical buttons, and far too many already-released games are designed with the 360's button layout in mind. I'm not optimistic that this'll be good, but I haven't lost all hope either; I'll have to try it before I can make a decision.

P.S. Thanks

Snotnarok:
-Devs barely let you edit your controls and you're telling me they're going to go out of their way to allow for this? Maybe for a while but in the end more will have 360/ps3/logitech controllers and that will likely still be the default.

Agreed with your post in its entirety.

I will only add that you can easily scratch "Logitech" from that list, as mine has been routinely shit on by more games for NOT being an Xbox 360 controller than necessary. (Castle Crashers, Monaco, Dungeon Defenders in recent memory. I can name more.)

It's rather obnoxious having to use a Key-to-Joy or 360 driver-emulator program just to get use out of my Logitech, and it's not even that old (like, maybe 2 years). Worse, if I mix and match controllers, I can't even use the old emulator profiles without mapping all of them piecemeal each time I change the loadout.

I'm not sure if this was some sort of ploy by Microsoft to encourage PC gamers to buy their overpriced 360 controllers or if it's sheer developer laziness, but I never had any issues integrating and remapping gamepad controls in PC games until the 360/PS3 console generation.

(Does anyone have the same issue with PS3 controllers?)

This will be the worst controller for fighting games. Just saying.

In fact, it looks and sounds impractical for any game that can fall into the category of games that are on the PC but made for controller.

I.E. Dungeon Siege 3, SpeedRunners, fighting games overall, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Megabyte Punch.

My point is, I don't think the "haptic feedback" will be responsive enough to support something like PC ports for fighting games, and fighting games are surprisingly popping up on the PC a lot lately.

Andy Shandy:

Honestly though, I'm not entirely sure what to think of it at the moment. Looks weird as hell, although I did think the same when I saw the Gamecube controller all those years ago, and that was a fantastic controller.

I'll have to hold it first, before passing any sort of concrete judgement on it, I think.

Thanks for bringing up a great point. The first time I saw a gamecube controller I touted it as being awful because it was too different than any other controller I was used too. It looked hideous and like a complete mess to control. Little did I know it was an amazing controller.

I am much older now and I understand that I cannot pass judgement on the controller until I try it. It may change controllers in the way that the dual joysticks did.

I also can't help but laugh at the gaming community for being wonderful hypocrites. All I hear over the year is the lack of "innovation" and when a company tries to do something new they are bashed and criticized for not following the same patterns as everyone else before they even try it out.

It shows me that the community is the one at fault for all these horrible bloated practices of repeating the same crap because they bash anything that is new or foreign to them.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

No they haven't. Track pads do not offer tactile feedback. My laptop has a track pad, and there's nothing there to tell my fingers how far they've moved. If I need to make small adjustments in movement and aim, I need something which gives me physical feedback with small movements without requiring me to look down at it. Track pads do not do that. They've been tried before, and they are simply an inferior method of inpit.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Haptic feedback. Read the article. It works, man.

Because Nintendo didn't forget the basic like having analogue sticks, d-pads, and buttons within easy reach of the thumbs.

You can reach eight different buttons/triggers with your fingers.

READ.

And which again offers no physical feedback at all. If I hit right on the d-pad in COD to deploy a sentry gun, I know just from the physical feedback in my fingers that I've hit the right button before the sentry gun ever deploys. Touchscreen controls? Fucked if I know. If I accidentally hit up instead without looking, and called in an airstrike I never meant to, there goes my entire killstreak. Down the fucking drain.

which automatically overlays on the screen when used

Implying... you know... confirmation prompts, etc.

You... you don't actually read, do you?

Except that shoulder buttons have their own damn uses. Shooting, iron-sights, accelaration, lock-on, dodging... whatever the genre, shoulder buttons have their own widely accepted uses. Offsetting regular face button inputs to the shoulder buttons makes a mess of the standard inputs people have come to expect in certain genres. Pressing right bumper to jump? I bloody hope not.

And clickable trackpads? Jesus... so how am I supposed to input quick commands if I were to play Streetfighter II? By clicking on the various areas of the trackpad? What if I need to input a half-circle command at the same time? What the hell happens if I need to play anything with fast, precise input timing?

I dunno... by clicking the eight damn buttons your fingers can reach.

How many times do I get to paste this link?

When it comes to standard controller ergonomics, there's a reason why the PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube and Wii U controllers all followed the same broad template. Because it makes sense in gameplay terms. There's nothing wrong with experimenting, but so far it looks like Valve have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. That face button placement alone would have got them laughed out of any school of design in the world.

Even the Ouya's controller looks better than this. The fucking Ouya controller.

If you looked at your own button map picture, you'd see the face buttons are secondary.

And it's abundantly clear that the entire layout of everything - EVERYTHING - has changed. This cannot be compared to older controllers, but you can't hate on it just for THAT, because nothing like this has ever been tried.

Just...

ACTUALLY process every word on that page before replying, before you ignore even more easy-to-read details that are freaking right there.

It doesn't seem very practical, but I can't really make any assumptions.

Who knows, maybe Valve did everything right and completely reinvented controllers forever. Or maybe it'll be awkward and uncomfortable. I'll be optimistic for now.

Interesting. There appear to be buttons on the underside of the controller. FINALLY! Something for mah pinkies!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here