Batman: Arkham Origins to Have Ultra-Hard Permadeath Mode

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Batman: Arkham Origins to Have Ultra-Hard Permadeath Mode

BAO_E3_BaneBatman

Batman: Arkham Origins' "I Am The Night" mode features no saves and only a single life.

We at The Escapist remember a time where you had to hike forty miles uphill in the snow to the nearest health pick-up, and it seems that the folks over at Warner Bros. Games Montreal do, too. Speaking to Eurogamer, Batman: Arkham Origins producer Guillaume Voghel announced that the game will feature an ultra-hard masochists-only "I Am The Night" difficulty level, in which you cannot save your game and have but a single life.

"We have a new difficulty level, New Game Plus is coming back - that's really difficult - and when you're done with that there's I Am The Night mode - which is no saves and one life."

In the Eurogamer interview, Voghel also talks a bit about Initiation, the first piece of story DLC scheduled for the game. "You play as Bruce Wayne learning to be a ninja," said Voghel, adding that the DLC will be set in Asia. "That's a really cool one. Narratively there's some added content that will give players a little more background story."

"[But] it's not League of Assassins, it's ninja-related," he continued. "It's when he learned to be a ninja and learned those techniques. He goes to a monastery - custom content was created for the DLC. You'll be in Asia in the monastery. The team did a great job on that, it looks really good."

Voghel says that all of these features, plus around 12 hours of gameplay just from the main narrative arc and story missions, are there to help add replay-ability to the game.

Source: Eurogamer

I approve of this and all, except ...
FUCK OFF WITH UNLOCKING DIFFICULTY SETTINGS.
Look, you may think it's dumb as bricks to blindly play on a hardcore setting, but knowing what's going to happen already makes games like this trivial.

Anyone else saw the lost opportunity to call this mode "I AM BATMAN!"?

No? Only me?...

Random Argument Man:

No? Only me?...

While they have discussed putting memes in the Batman games before, like the Shark Repellant, I can imagine that they would have found it too goofy to put in.

Random Argument Man:

No? Only me?...

Too obvious methinks. Also, the difficulty name is a quote that ends with 'I AM...BATMAN'. Close enough I reckon.

OT: Love the idea of permadeath. Having to do the entire game in a single sitting? Not quite a fan of.

This is a good development. Finally someone acknowledges community's l33t skilzzzzz ;)

Permadeath and no saving? Let the rage commence. I would attempt it but i know i would mess up towards the end and die. Actually more likely mess up at the start. :-(

SonOfVoorhees:
Permadeath and no saving? Let the rage commence. I would attempt it but i know i would mess up towards the end and die. Actually more likely mess up at the start. :-(

Nah its the bullshit glitch that kills you 99% of the way through thats gonna be the issue here amonst other similar ones part way through.

By "no saves" I hope they mean "no restarting from checkpoints", right?
Like, you don't have to go through 12 hours in one sitting?

KevinHe92:

OT: Love the idea of permadeath. Having to do the entire game in a single sitting? Not quite a fan of.

Yeah, that's a bit strange. Especially considering it's an open-world title, there's gotta still be checkpoints or something. Just send you back to the main menu or something when you die instead of going to the last checkpoint...

Also, I have to agree that unlocking difficulty settings is obnoxious. It can work in certain games (mostly thinking spectacle fighters or wacky racing games), but there are people who like to go immediately for the hardest setting as soon as they can, and won't bother replaying a game just to do so. Basically, if Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence let you pick "European Extreme" right from the get-go your first time playing the game (er, I'm led to believe that's actually triggered by selecting "I like MGS3!" on the prompt screen directly before it, but still, it's technically entirely possible to play the hardest difficulty without having played the game), Batman: Arkham Origins should let you pick "I Am The Night".

Captcha: "snake eyes"

So Snake is hiding somewhere near me, then? That's good to know, he'll get a Game Over if I spot him!

chikusho:

That's what I'm hoping as well. I mean, if I started right when I woke up, I could probably clear Arkham City by the end of the day...but still, having to play through an entire game in a single sitting is pretty tiresome.

You know I am a big fan of the Arkham series. Yet they continue to piss me off with their bullshit DLC practices. The game isn't even out yet and they're already talking about the first DLC pack! Saying it's "custom content". No. It is not custom content if the game is not even out yet. It is content that you are locking behind a paywall to try and scam from your customers. Fuck you WB. Don't even get me started on the pre-order Deathstroke bullshit. Just as bad as that Catwoman crap from City.

I wonder if they'll do Batman's death in "I Am The Knight." mode like they did in the comics.

Steven Bogos:

Voghel says that all of these features, plus around 12 hours of gameplay just from the main narrative arc and story missions, are there to help add replay-ability to the game.

Correction:
Voghel says that forcing you to play the game three times, plus around 6 hours of gameplay just from the main narrative arc and story missions, are there to help pad the game so people don't sell it right away.

I was looking forward to this but now I don't really want it. I can play the hardest setting off the top. Why do I still need to unlock the challenge?

Clearly marketed at the Sado-masochist gamers out there. I play games primarily to enjoy myself, not going into cardiac arrest when I perma-die on the last boss of the game with no save file.

Just a random thought, but I think it'd be pretty sweet

So... Dark Knight Rouge Like? OK. I'm on board.

Of course I was already on board having loved Asylum and City. But this is one of the first times I feel like they're doing something with this game that is actually kind of interesting. Other than this, it was kind of feeling "more of the same". Then they added mutliplayer that I will likely never touch. This is actually something I might get some time with, so good news everyone!

ZZoMBiE13:
Then they added mutliplayer that I will likely never touch.

I'm not putting too much faith into the multiplayer either...I don't see how they'll be able to do it without making Batman and Robin obscenely overpowered. But who knows? It might turn out to be surprisingly fun to play, kinda like how Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood had a multiplayer that was surprisingly a lot of fun to play. I'll be giving it a fair shot, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for it.

chikusho:

Does the real Batman get to take a break in the middle of a mission?

P.S. Thanks

12 hours sounds good since I spent at least 6 times as much time in arkham city just fucking around then I did on the actual story.

And the DLC sounds good since the DLC for city was kind of weak. Not bad, just really insubstantial.

Seems like they actually made some news to make me more interested in the game rather than less interested. Now this I like. Now I might pick this game up at launch... or preferably not... busy time of the year...

I like having the option, but like some others I'd rather use a hard mode in which you'd die easier but could save.

KevinHe92:

Random Argument Man:

No? Only me?...

Too obvious methinks. Also, the difficulty name is a quote that ends with 'I AM...BATMAN'. Close enough I reckon.

I'd guess that you can save, but only when quitting (the way some roguelikes work). So you could play in different sessions, but the save gets deleted when loading a game or when you die.

I'm not sure if it is like so, though. Also, if it worked this way, one could just find and copy the one save file to back up one's progress.

I like this idea, but you're unable to save your progress? I think it would be better if you could save, but it gets erased the moment you die. A lot of us don't really have that much free time. Although then again, that could probably also encourage cheating through turning off the game and reloading if you're in an unfavorable position. So I don't know.

Still, I'm cool with this.

Trotgar:
I like having the option, but like some others I'd rather use a hard mode in which you'd die easier but could save.

KevinHe92:

Random Argument Man:

No? Only me?...

I'd guess that you can save, but only when quitting (the way some roguelikes work). So you could play in different sessions.

I'm not sure if it is like so, though. Also, if it worked this way, one could just find and copy the one save file to back up one's progress.

Could be implemented like X3's permadeath mode where the save is online only (ie no local storage) and is deleted upon game restart. That would nip that in the bud. Alternatively a special encryption code being required that is generated when the shutdown save is done and removed when the save is restarted, preventing the save from being used again as an offline alternative.

And personally, I guess I'm getting tired of the near constant focus of difficulty being a game feature. I've seen a number of games that harken back to the "Nintendo-hard" days as the big selling point and it ends up being a very shallow game that serves as a reminder why companies moved away from it in the first place.

RJ 17:

ZZoMBiE13:
Then they added mutliplayer that I will likely never touch.

I'm not putting too much faith into the multiplayer either...I don't see how they'll be able to do it without making Batman and Robin obscenely overpowered. But who knows? It might turn out to be surprisingly fun to play, kinda like how Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood had a multiplayer that was surprisingly a lot of fun to play. I'll be giving it a fair shot, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for it.

That is a good attitude. It's always a good idea to be open to new experiences so long as we don't let the hype build unrealistic expectations.

In spite of my grousing about it, I'm likely right there with you. And if I'm 100% honest with myself, I'll most likely try at least enough of it to experience the shooting and stealthing mechanics just to have the point of reference cataloged in my delicious brain for later discussions.

And like you said in regards to Assassin's Creed, there is always the remote chance that it will crash through my icy heart and endear itself to me. But as a generalization, I'm not one who is predisposed to most mutliplayer games. I tend to get my multiplayer fix within the first two weeks of each new Halo release, then I'm good until the next one.

Covarr:

chikusho:

Does the real Batman get to take a break in the middle of a mission?

P.S. Thanks

And here I was thinking there was only a fictional Batman. :/

RJ 17:

chikusho:

That's what I'm hoping as well. I mean, if I started right when I woke up, I could probably clear Arkham City by the end of the day...but still, having to play through an entire game in a single sitting is pretty tiresome.

Yeah. I mean, you could technically just leave your console on whenever you have to leave it. But I mean, that would still be an exceptionally poor design choice.

As a PC player I know someone will unlock that difficulty so that I can play it right away. Bring it on!

Great. A new feature precisely nobody asked for. I mean, sure, it's nice for the hardcore gamers to get a bone thrown their way, but where did this come from? That said, when I finally get around to this (I won't be buying it for a while; the Batman: Arkham XYZ games have never really been Day-1 must-buys for me.) I'm sure I'll give it a shot.

Can I complain about devs advertizing DLC BEFORE THE GAME HAS EVEN LAUNCHED, though? Because I REALLY REALLY hate when they do that. It's like, "dude, you haven't even sold me the game yet, let me buy it or better yet demo it to see how much time and money I want to sink into it before you try to get me to shell out for more stuff."

Wow. That actually sounds really cool. Definitely looking forward to trying to beat that.
Much as the DLC sounds excellent, can't help but feel a bit miffed that they're already focussing so much on that. When did games become such sure sales that they could advertise expansions/extra content before release? Because it seems that we've actually not been doing to great on turning a profit as of late. In the AAA industry at least.

If this game is filled with as much fluff as the previous Batman games, then i don't think this is a good idea. There's so many forced story sections, scanning and other non-gameplay stuff that it really isn't that fun to replay over and over again, it's not a game suited for permadeath imo. It's better suited for games that are fun the instant you press 'new game', not games that forces you through hours upon hours of disguised tutorials.

Wait, so I have to play through without stopping? I mean, if there is only a single death allowed, then that sort of implies that I won't be able to save but I what if I want to like, go somewhere and pick up my permadeath game later?

DVS BSTrD:

HELL.YES. i will buy anything for a skin like that, especially in multiplayer.

You should at least be able to suspend your game for later. You still won't be able to reload your save.

Why is this not called "God-damn Batman mode"?

I'd be semi interested in it...except for the fact that from playing the previous 2 games I know these games really aren't fullproof in terms of "fairness". I remember both games having really dumb deaths or just instant kills from bosses, doesn't seem like it would be any fun to play that kind of mode when there are bosses who can by some stupid chance gib you. And seriously no saves? Who in their right mind has that much time on their hands to do it all in a single sitting? No one should have to leave their console/pc on for that long just for a challenge. There are games I love, but can't bear more than playing 3 or so hours in a single sitting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here