Wasteland Kings Becomes Nuclear Throne To Dodge Trademark Beef

Wasteland Kings Becomes Nuclear Throne To Dodge Trademark Beef

Vlambeer logo

Vlambeer has changed the name of its new project from Wasteland Kings to Nuclear Throne because Wasteland 2 developer inXile Entertainment asked nicely.

Vlambeer, the Dutch indie studio behind games like Luftrausers, Ridiculous Fishing and Super Crate Box, announced Wasteland Kings back in August. While not exactly the most informative title ever - I envision something along the line of Game of Thrones, but with a bunch of Lord Humungus types - it had an undeniably cool ring to it. But now, because of a potential trademark conflict with inXile's upcoming Wasteland 2, the title has been changed to Nuclear Throne.

It's a particularly noteworthy change because in a very pleasant turn of events, the whole thing happened without any intervention by lawyers. Instead, Vlambeer was contacted by a Dutch employee of inXile, who said studio boss Brian Fargo and members of the development team were concerned that some people might think the new game was a title in the Wasteland franchise.

"We've been through a lot of trouble with people riding on things of ours, and we understand that American trademark law is pretty strict in that not defending a trademark weakens it. We realize that both games are set in a similar setting, that the names are similar and that InXile obviously felt the need to reach out," Vlambeer co-founder Rami Ismail wrote on the studio's website. "Although we aren't sure Wasteland Kings and Wasteland are confusing enough for this to be an issue, both us and InXile really don't want to spend development time on arguing over trivialities."

"Most of all, we appreciate that the first contact between us was by a normal employee, and not a lawyer," he continued. "There was no extravagant Cease & Desist-letter, nor a threatening letter in an envelope labelled 'URGENT'. The e-mail we received was short, amicable and to-the-point. It was followed up by a quick conversation on Skype, in which we established that it would be the right thing for us to change the name."

Rami said that's how things should work, and he's right: Obviously it's easier for a couple of indie game studios to maneuver like this than, say, Eurocorp and Cayman Global, but it's a pleasure to see people getting along like grown-ups no matter where it happens.

The newly-named Nuclear Throne is being developed for the PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita, and will be available through Steam Early Access and the Humble Store in early October.

Source: Vlambeer

I.... I think I have a tear in my eye... Hold on...

*bawls out in happiness*

Sorry, I love to see people being nice to each other, especially over things that are commonly thrown to lawyers and 'immediate action'. While I believe that route has its place (like a huge corporation against another huge corporation), this is nice see.

Yay! People were nice to each other! Basic decency and courtesy was involved, and everybody was happy!

Thank god for this story! :) So nice to have some nice new about people being nice to other people and everyone being happy

Rational people...
avoid lawyers

*looks out window* Why yes, it is raining fire. Looks like the end of days.

I am very glad things worked out for both parties!

Though I must say it is a sad state of affairs when two groups being decent to each other is what makes the news... This should be the normal occurrence, and people breaking out the lawyers should be the big surprise.

Desert Punk:
I am very glad things worked out for both parties!

Though I must say it is a sad state of affairs when two groups being decent to each other is what makes the news... This should be the normal occurrence, and people breaking out the lawyers should be the big surprise.

Sadly, we live in a world where "should" and "are" tend to be two very different things.

OT: It's nice to see things settled amiably, definitely much nicer than how it could have gone. I, personally, find it a somewhat unnecessary request, but clearly someone disagreed. Ah well, at least it ended on good terms.

They were being nice to eachother..... in the video game industry?

Nuclear Throne > Wasteland Kings

This is a win-win situation. Amicably resolved and no money was given to those soul sucking self employing legalist blood suckers.

MCerberus:
Rational people...
avoid lawyers

Is it? I can't see the skies for all the pigs flying past.

See, the argument about American copyright law is pretty valid- failure to defend can have some pretty atrocious consequences for copyright holders- but it's great that an employee took the time to "hash it out" rather than immediately throwing lawyers at the problem.

MCerberus:
Rational people...
avoid lawyers

I think both sides realised the real enemy are the blood sucking lawyers not eachother :-P
I think I'll grab both games when their released, such civility deserves reward

Cool thing is, even if they had been mean about it, this is one of those rare cases where a C&D actually gets sent to someone who deserves it. I've noticed a lot of games on Steam lately that are just blatant knockoffs of other ones, right down to having a name set up in such a way that if you didn't know better, you might think it was one of those sequel with a subtitle instead of a number deals. I'd give examples but I can't think of any off hand, it's like trying to remember what the names of the scents were on the store brand cleaning products.

thethird0611:
I.... I think I have a tear in my eye... Hold on...

*bawls out in happiness*

Sorry, I love to see people being nice to each other, especially over things that are commonly thrown to lawyers and 'immediate action'. While I believe that route has its place (like a huge corporation against another huge corporation), this is nice see.

/win

I don't have much else to add really...
It's situations like these that give me hope for the games industry... Instead of just being giant uppity twats about trademark law and such...

But seriously, those two studios basically sold themselves a copy of their game each to me... I just have to remember their names...

i'll buy it no matter what you wanna call it. wasteland kings, nuclar trone, wasteland 2, fallout 4.
as long as we get to explore the sick little post apcalypse insired by brian fargo.

I love this, no lawyers, no trash talk, no post-release pissing contest. just friendly cooperation. the gaming industry is finally starting to become a reasonable i.....oh hello upcoming console war, didn't hear you come in. Want some coffee? tea?

While it's all nice, I also think trademarking the term 'Wasteland' is just as stupid as the 'Edge' or 'Scrolls' trademarks, so it's actually a no-win situation in the first place.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here