GTA V $ 2,147,483,647 Glitch Could Wipe Your Cash Away

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

GTA V $ 2,147,483,647 Glitch Could Wipe Your Cash Away

Have fun with the stock market but don't go too crazy, advises a NeoGAF poster.

It's one of the great mysteries of life: one minute you're sitting pretty with billions in your Grand Theft Auto V bank, and the next minute everything's gone negative and you're so deep in debt it'll take a lifetime to dig yourself out from under. This is what happened to NeoGAF poster OmegaDL50, when - after completing the Assassination missions and heading towards the end of the story - he dumped his $1.6 billion into Tinkle Stocks. Little did he know that the game used "a signed 32-Bit integer (i.e any value higher than 2,147,483,647 will roll over into a negative value)," but he soon found out when his accumulated fortune went up the Swanee.

Unknowing, he smashed his car. When he went to fix it, the game told him he was broke, and a few minute's investigation soon told him why. "Have fun with the stock market but don't go too crazy," is his advice to other would-be Wall Street geniuses. He's not the only one to have noticed this problem, as some French speaking gamers can attest. "I can't buy anything, even a milkshake," claims jaguarjack, who went well over the limit after the Lester missions. Again, the 32 bit integer maximum limit seems to be to blame.

So let that be a lesson to you: the penalty for greed, at least in GTA V, is insane amounts of debt. Start giving it away, spending it, make your suits out of nothing but dollar bills. Just don't try to accumulate the stuff. The bank doesn't like it.

Source: NeoGAF

Remember Kids, keep multiple saves.

You'd think game developers would have that one figured out by now.
It also happened to people in WoW but Blizzard fixed that pretty quickly. Would hate to have something like that happen in a game where your gold could also have been sold to other players for real money. Though all that money had been farmed by players and just accumulated via the auction house of course.

Hahahaha someone used long int for the variable that represents money.

Newbie developer mistake, Rockstar.

it seems to be a relatively common bug with games in general where going above certain numbers of cash or inventory items could break your game. dragon age origins had it with selling too many items to a vendor

You'd think that QA would have caught that one.

shameduser:

Wouldn't that depend on how rigorous it's been? Perhaps they simply assumed nobody would accumulate such a high amount of money or misjudged what the maximum was.

you'd almost think it's some kind of social commentary about not doing weird stuff with the stock market.

What would you even need that much money for anyway?! I admit I don't play GTA, but I'd imagine that the $1.6 billion alone would've covered anything you could ever want for the rest of the game.

It was funny when the game stole your car, because it's called Grand Theft Auto.
This is going too far.

My favorite money bug was in Fable. While playing cards, the game crashed and on restart, I had a million of money. I guess the game assumed that a million was the default card win unless proved wrong.

That's good, but no as funny as the bug in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl where getting your reputation too high wouold do the exact same thing and cause it to loop round into a negative number, just a reminder that everybody hates a Flanders...

Kinda like Real Life if you think about it, Make Millions from the Stock Market, Wake up with nothing.

rofltehcat:
It also happened to people in WoW but Blizzard fixed that pretty quickly. Would hate to have something like that happen in a game where your gold could also have been sold to other players for real money. Though all that money had been farmed by players and just accumulated via the auction house of course.

I'd imagine they're too busy trying to fix other bugs, like why people's garages eat their modded cars...or, my personal favorite - and one that happened to me - WHY YOU CAN'T GET INTO THE STRIP CLUB WHICH IS WHERE SOME OF THE LAST FEW MISSIONS ARE STARTED!!!

Yeah, by pure dumb luck I was able to finish the game. The glitch is still active, I still have no access to the Vanilla Unicorn because the doors are completely sealed. Personally I'd have to hope they'd work on fixing a bug that prevents people from finishing the game before they worry about disappearing cars or money.

Still, you are right though. Wouldn't the maximum cash be a pretty quick coding fix? I don't really know much about 32 bit integers or how they work, but it sounds like we need more bits. :3

Aeshi:
What would you even need that much money for anyway?! I admit I don't play GTA, but I'd imagine that the $1.6 billion alone would've covered anything you could ever want for the rest of the game.

Something like $250 million will buy every property available for sale in single-player. Then again, some properties are only for sale to certain characters.

So far as cars, well, each character can only store four (five if you want to take a chance on your safehouse garage). So there's not much money to be spent there.

Still, good find by by the general public. I wonder if GTAV's "perfect" reviews will be adjusted accordingly.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this on Faux News as some sort of "liberal conspiracy."

I'm loving this, it's like Rockstar watched Southpark and programmed at the same time.

MinionJoe:

Aeshi:

Something like $250 million will buy every property available for sale in single-player. Then again, some properties are only for sale to certain characters.

So far as cars, well, each character can only store four (five if you want to take a chance on your safehouse garage). So there's not much money to be spent there.

Still, good find by by the general public. I wonder if GTAV's "perfect" reviews will be adjusted accordingly.

What can you use properties for?
Just thinking that perhaps one could do well without any cash, considering that you can't buy anything particularily useful (unless property is useful^^). That was one of my biggest problems with RDR, everything you do, you do to earn more money but the money is practically worthless from a gamedesign perspective.

rofltehcat:

What do you mean by fixed?
AFAIK there is a "squish" planned for the next expansion to get around this problem.
Garrosh has 500m health, the bosses in the next expansion should have more - which might bring them beyond the 4b limit of unsigned 32 bit integers.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3885585
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/item-squish-extremely-likely-for-wows-next-expansion/

MrBaskerville:

What can you use properties for?

Well, I was hoping that the properties would unlock after the end-game because it'd be handy to have a safehouse somewhere that's actually useful.

Of course, I was also hoping for additional garages so I could collect more than just 4 of the 250 cars in the game.

And they didn't use use an unsigned value for money because...?

one of my coworkers was telling me about how he made huge money off the stock market by sabotaging businesses competing with the one he owned stock in, I'll have to see if he knows there is a limit to the amount of money you can get

If it wasn't expected for the player to generate vast sums of money to buy property in the game I don't think I would be as perplexed to why this was able to slip by Q&A.

Why are people surprised? 2,147,483,647 is the highest you can go with a signed integer.
Hell they could almost try to make that a selling point for the next-gen version of GTAV "Now with support for a maximum amount of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 $" since that's how high you can go with 64bit.

People will always say "oh why didn't they think of that", but did you know that a lot of computer clocks and systems will have major problems when time hits 19 January 2038 because of the exact same problem?

As funny as this, code mistakes like this happen way too often, even rocket scientists make variable mistakes. Seems to me they recycled code from the previous game that didn't accommodate the possibility of such high earnings. I'd go crazy its not as if it would increase the game size considerably, but then they would have to work and write new code.

Not too surprising considering GTA Online, you that thing they hyped up before launch, isn't working since they didn't anticipate a large number of people trying to get online.

This is a pretty weird over sight.

In most games with money (including previous GTA's) Dev's put in a lock max amount aka. you cannot go over a certain amount of money which is under the true maximum to stop glitching.

I guess they just forgot this time?

I'd think it's easy to fix though, they just need to add a limit at 2 billion.

I remember once playing an ancient gridiron game on C64 and winning 101-3. However, the in-game scoreboard did a wraparound at 100 and the game told me I had lost 3-1. Quite an achievement considering that 1 is an impossible score in that sport! That sort of thing was a fact of life back then, I'm frankly amazed that it's still happening though. Seems like a predictable situation.

I just want to know what they did with the in-game market to accumulate THAT much money on a seemingly random market (aside from a few known occurrences in missions, but not enough to make THAT much money).

Pixelspeech:

shameduser:

Wouldn't that depend on how rigorous it's been? Perhaps they simply assumed nobody would accumulate such a high amount of money or misjudged what the maximum was.

Well, I'd assume someone who works in QA would be familiar with similar bugs in other games and it's not unreasonable to assume that players could accumulate that much money. Maybe it was found late in development and a work around wasn't feasible so close to launch.

I was thinking about how you would get around this and maybe have a second variable that holds all money over the limit but then displaying the amount wouldn't be easy sense you can't just add the two together and display that. I'm not super familiar with programing so it could be really easy.

So keep the bank below 2 billion dollars? Got it.

Remember when we were kids and they'd just cap the maximum dollar amount somewhere? Those were good days.

We're all just one trade away from humility Bud

Of course, 2 billion is a pretty insane amount of money to have in the single player, given that most people will finish the game with maybe $50 million for each character, tops.

That said, holy hell, you'd think that developers would start to test this kind of stuff, and at least put a pure limit on the amount of cash available instead of letting it roll over.

I keep telling people that cookie clikcer is better.

Now you'll believe me.

It can handle trillions.

Millions of trillions.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook