NBA 2K14 Steam Hiccup Nets Negative Reviews

NBA 2K14 Steam Hiccup Nets Negative Reviews

Don't ever say PC gamers aren't a patient bunch, because we're the epitome of patience. Hmm. No, wait. We're not.

Will NBA 2K14 surpass 2K13's franchise record in sales? If you read some reviews, you might get the wrong impression about today's big release. The PC download version of NBA 2K14 on Amazon shows a whopping 63 one-star reviews today (wait, now that number's shrunk to 60) out of 81. But fortunately for 2K Sports, that's not the entire story. The download should've been available at 12AM Pacific on Steam, but it actually became available at 10AM Pacific - a 10 hour delay. This caused a flood of outrage from loyal NBA2K series PC fans who preordered and were expecting to be able to play at midnight.

The situation appears to have stabilized now with the game finally in the Steam database (added about 4 hours ago). One saving grace: the PC download version is far cheaper than the console version. At only $29.99, it's half the $59.99 you'd fork out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions that also released today. (No good deal stories to tell about the console versions, unfortunately.) Better still, if you buy the Steam key from Green Man Gaming, that price can be reduced all the way to $22.50 after coupon. That makes the PC download a full 62% cheaper than the console versions.

If Dishonored getting a bit stale for you, stealth genre gamers can look forward to February's reboot of the cult classic Thief series. Late last week, Square Enix announced the free "Bank Heist" DLC preorder bonus. Along with that, the PC version gets a price drop from $49.99 to $44.99. Similar to NBA 2K14, Green Man Gaming has a coupon code that drops the price even further to $33.75 - a solid $16.24 off the MSRP.

Hot Deals of the Week

NBA 2K14 (PC Download) - $22.50 at Green Man Gaming.

List is $30. Deal expires October 4. It's available now in North America only, but launches October 4th globally. The same coupon code reduces the price from 29.99, to 22.50, in Europe. Or in the UK the price is reduced from 29.99 to 22.50 (With today's currency exchange rates, Brits are screwed on the price).

Thief (PC Download) - $33.75 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases February 25. List is $50. Deal expires October 4. After the same coupon code, the price in the UK is reduced from 26.99 to 21.60. Elsewhere in Europe the price is reduced from 44.99 to 33.75.

Upcoming Releases

F1 2013 (PC Download) - $33.75 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases October 4. Next best is $50 at GameFly. Deal expires October 4.

Batman Arkham Origins (PC Download) - $37.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases October 25. List is $50. Deal expires October 4.

Battlefield 4 (PC Download) - $59.99 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases October 29 and includes the China Rising Expansion, along with $12 credit or $8 cash back.

Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC Download) - $47.19 at OnePlay.

Releases November 5. Next best is $60 at GameFly. Deal expires October 6.

NBA 2K14 (Xbox One) - $59.99 at Best Buy.

Releases November 22 and includes $10 in Reward Certificates. List is $60.

Console Deals

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - $9.99 at Best Buy.

Next best is $18 at Walmart.

Grand Slam Tennis 2 (Xbox 360) - $8.99 at Microsoft.

Next best is $13 at Overstock.com.

Resident Evil: Revelations (Wii U) - $29.99 at Best Buy.

Next best is $47 at Overstock.com.

PC Downloads

Rise of Venice (Steam) - $32 at Green Man Gaming.

Released last Friday. List is $40. Deal expires October 4.

Grid 2 (Steam) - $19.99 at GameFly.

List is $50. Deal expires October 2. Bonus: receive a free copy of FUEL while supply last.

F1 2012 (Steam) - $10.87 at GameFly.

Next best is $40 at Green Man Gaming. Deal expires October 7. Bonus: receive a free copy of FUEL while supply last.

Gaming Hardware

Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Haswell gaming laptop - $779 at Lenovo.

Ships with a Core i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 755M 2GB, and 8GB RAM. List is $1,299. Deal expires October 4.

Zotac GeForce GTX 670 4GB GDDR5 Video Card ZT-60303-10P - $260.99 at Rakuten.

Next best is $276 at Mac Mall.

SteelSeries MERC Stealth Gaming Keyboard - $24.99 at 1 Sale A Day.

Next best is $50 at TigerDirect.

Rosewill RK-8100 Gaming Keyboard - $17.99 at Rakuten.

Next best is $25 at Amazon. Deal expires October 6.

The weekly "Big Deals on the Internet" is brought to you by the crew from Dealzon. If you want to save money on game deals, check in every Tuesday at 5:30PM Eastern for the latest deals. Feedback? Let us know in the comments!

Wait, I thought we weren't meant to directly advertise third-party products?

Yeah... So is this an ad or a news story?
I'm confused.

freaper:

BoogieManFL:
I'm confused.

Big deal advertisement has been going on for a while now. nothing new. often its only dealing with varius sales and stuff though, this one seems to be mistitled.

I'd get Dirt 2, if it came with Fuel for free, but the Dirt games are GFWL and who knows what will happen when GFWL goes down next summer.

BoogieManFL:
I'm confused.

I think it is the former disguised as the latter to get more views.

Strazdas:

freaper:

BoogieManFL:
I'm confused.

Big deal advertisement has been going on for a while now. nothing new. often its only dealing with varius sales and stuff though, this one seems to be mistitled.

hmm sorry about the confusion all. the title does read a lot more like a news piece vs a piece about various sales and game deals.

generally all of our titles will have something about price or discount reflected in it*. I think we shrunk down the title for this particular "Big Deal" to fit in the length and didn't think enough about it.

*e.g., past two titles:

> FIFA 14: UK Shafted in Pricing While US Gets Incentive
> Final Fantasy XIV Digital Sales Resume at 25% Off

porous_shield:
I'd get Dirt 2, if it came with Fuel for free, but the Dirt games are GFWL and who knows what will happen when GFWL goes down next summer.

Probably a good move. we had Dirt 3 and 2 listed initially because its such a great price until we noticed it wasn't a Steam key and was GWFL... urgh.

I've basically written off some of my old GFWL games (Arkham City) in that I'll pick up a Steam key replacement eventually when it goes on sale.

BoogieManFL:
I'm confused.

It's a sale article. Kotaku has one, and there are compilations over at Reddit. TBH it took this site long enough to have one.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here