Pokemon X and Y's Charizard Has Two Mega Evolutions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pokemon X and Y's Charizard Has Two Mega Evolutions

Charizard becomes part-dragon as a Pokemon X exclusive.

Mewtwo isn't the only one with mega evolutions exclusive to each version of Pokemon X and Y. Today the Pokemon Company revealed that the original evolved fire starter has more than just the one mega evolution we've seen so far. In Pokemon X, Charizard can evolve into Mega Charizard X. Instead of its fire/flying-type version in Pokemon Y, Mega Charizard X changes type to fire/dragon and its appearance becomes black and blue. Mega evolutions only occur in-battle, so the difference between the two different Mega Charizard will not be in effect at all times.

The Pokemon Company disclosed the news on its website and in a YouTube video that depicted a sky battle. Flying Pokemon and those with the ability "levitate" can fight in the air. It appears that certain other Pokemon can participate as well, as in the case of part-dragon-type Mega Charizard X, maybe because it can learn the move "fly." Or maybe it's because Charizard is part-flying and will enter the sky battle before it can mega evolve.

Mega Charizard X gains the ability "tough claws," which raises the power of direct contact moves, and its attack increases significantly - as opposed to Mega Charizard Y's increased special attack and fire-type moves.

Likely, we will see different mega evolutions for both Blastoise and Venosaur. Hopefully something new will come out for those of us who decided to go with Pokemon Y.

Source: Pokemon, YouTube

I understand that's supposed to be blue flames coming out of the sides of his mouth.......but really it looks like a big weird mouth-moustache. o.o

Wait, what? Charizard can actually become a legitimate Dragon type? More mega-evolutions? Air battles?!? I thought they couldn't hype this game anymore! Arrglebarglefffghhjhhhzhzzzzzz!!!!!

Holy crap, the Escapist has an article on a new Pokemon revelation the same day the news is released? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE ESCAPIST?!

Also, I am disappoint that the new Mega evolution is X exclusive. T_T

And it looks boss as shit.

Thank goodness I'm getting X, because that is looking more and more like the cooler of the two versions.

Also congrats on the Escapist actually being on the ball with Pokemon news updates.

I'm going fanboy mode over this crap.

Reminds me of the old fake starter evolutions people used to lie their asses off about in the original games. Back when the internet when was not quite as... developed.

soren7550:

Welp that killed the hype I had for it. I'm getting Y, and don't feel like getting both versions. T^T
Mainly I choose my versions depending on the legendary exclusive and other things, and I like Y's main legendary, and Mega Mewtwo's form better in Y.

It's like... why would anyone get Y version anymore? >.>
Also I'd like to see more variety in these different mega evolutions, rather than just a special/regular attack split.

I hear these items aren't tradable, so that's kind of... annoying...

Alluos:
Also I'd like to see more variety in these different mega evolutions, rather than just a special/regular attack split.

Because Xerneas looks pretty awful. Plus it's a fairy type. Yveltal is actually one of the better legendary designs I've seen. I just hope Y gets a more awesome form of Venusaur or something, since Venusaur is my favorite 1st gen starter.

Looks pretty cool; X and Y are looking to be pretty solid games! By the way the thumbnail on the main page is wrong - shows the Phoenix Wright picture.

RJ 17:
I understand that's supposed to be blue flames coming out of the sides of his mouth.......but really it looks like a big weird mouth-moustache. o.o

It's the static textures. It didn't look anywhere near as bad in the anime where they could animate the fire properly

Alluos:

Because I prefer my legendarys flying and also Mega Charizard Y looks much better IMHO.

Also if this is starting a trend of Mega evolutions for both games and it follows the current formula (first Megas are Y, seconds are X) then I still prefer Mega Blastoise (Y?)

soren7550:
Holy crap, the Escapist has an article on a new Pokemon revelation the same day the news is released? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE ESCAPIST?!

Actually, not quite. Charizard's mega evolution was technically revealed in yesterday's finale of Pokemon Origins. The Escapist's long running tradition of being behind the rest of the net for Pokemon news stands!

They finally made Charizard an actual dragon. Hell yea!

Neronium:

soren7550:

Welp that killed the hype I had for it. I'm getting Y, and don't feel like getting both versions. T^T
Mainly I choose my versions depending on the legendary exclusive and other things, and I like Y's main legendary, and Mega Mewtwo's form better in Y.

Dunno, I'm on the fence now.

I also have no inclination to buy both (why get ANOTHER pokemon game for a handful of evolutions?), but while Yveltal is definitely the cooler of the two cover legendaries, an X player could trade for it, and still keep the version-exclusive mega-evolutions.

10 days left..

X VERSION KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER BABY.

This is the moment Charizard fans have been waiting since Generation 1. They have heard our prayers, my fellows... and they have answered us =D

Not much of a pokemon player (only played blue and a smidgen of leaf green, I think) but I'm not overly happy about these new evolutions. I mean charizard is the 6th (or is it 9th? can't remember who comes first charmander or squirtle) and it takes over a decade to figure out he can temporarily evolve again?

Not only that but charizard is the most dragon looking pokemon that I know of... Dragonite looks like a fat genie dinosaur and evolves from 2 eels! The charmander evolutions look much more like dragons and only now one of them temporarily gets the dragon monicre.

Lastly, I've only seen mewtwo and charizard but they look bad, I know that is just a subjective thing but I'm a firm 151 guy and I find the originals are all varied and just nice... But from what I've seen of the other 6 or 7 hundred pokemon they're lacking, with the occasional good one and all the legendary ones look good.

I hate the idea that charizard is a dragon now (mostly cause to me, it reminds me of the gen 1 people who hate new games and the pokemon in them but feel its some great injustice charizard cant be a dragon and they're some of the whiniest little shits to listen to) for the reason stated, and cause now it feels game breaking. You're increasing his attack with his ability, boosting his attack stat, giving it belly drum, and it has outrage. its only weakness is x2 to rock and dragon (after change). It just seems like it should have its defense in nerfed heavily. and I know, its starts fire flying so stealth rocks, but still thats hardly a difficult fix, and in game all you ned to do is carry a few full restores.

I dont know, i guess it just feels like it removes even more challenge from the pokemon games and if you hit an NPC with this you're more or less fucked to hell.

omega 616:
Not much of a pokemon player (only played blue and a smidgen of leaf green, I think) but I'm not overly happy about these new evolutions. I mean charizard is the 6th (or is it 9th? can't remember who comes first charmander or squirtle) and it takes over a decade to figure out he can temporarily evolve again?

Not only that but charizard is the most dragon looking pokemon that I know of... Dragonite looks like a fat genie dinosaur and evolves from 2 eels! The charmander evolutions look much more like dragons and only now one of them temporarily gets the dragon monicre.

Lastly, I've only seen mewtwo and charizard but they look bad, I know that is just a subjective thing but I'm a firm 151 guy and I find the originals are all varied and just nice... But from what I've seen of the other 6 or 7 hundred pokemon they're lacking, with the occasional good one and all the legendary ones look good.

I don't really get this complaint. Are you upset that they didn't introduce mega evolution earlier in the series or something?

Charizard wasn't dragon type in the first generation since it would have made it too OP as a stater.

This mentality always bugs me. I understand that you just don't like the new pokemon but I think it's silly to say that the first 151 were perfect and that the quality just drops right after that. I have absolutely no way to prove this but I bet that if Mega mewtwo x or Mega Charizard X were in the original games then you'd like them.

emeraldrafael:
I hate the idea that charizard is a dragon now (mostly cause to me, it reminds me of the gen 1 people who hate new games and the pokemon in them but feel its some great injustice charizard cant be a dragon and they're some of the whiniest little shits to listen to) for the reason stated, and cause now it feels game breaking. You're increasing his attack with his ability, boosting his attack stat, giving it belly drum, and it has outrage. its only weakness is x2 to rock and dragon (after change). It just seems like it should have its defense in nerfed heavily. and I know, its starts fire flying so stealth rocks, but still thats hardly a difficult fix, and in game all you ned to do is carry a few full restores.

I dont know, i guess it just feels like it removes even more challenge from the pokemon games and if you hit an NPC with this you're more or less fucked to hell.

It's not like it's invincible or anything. Heck there's still the fairy type to counter it and charizard doesn't have stellar defenses in the first place.

Good thing I'm getting X then althought I'm fine with either version of Charizard.

I wonder what is Blastoise and Venusuar other versions look like?

werewolfsfury:
snip

No, it just doesn't make sense. Pokemon is up to generation 7?8? Ash must be about 30 by now and only now they realize "hey, X amount of pokemon can evolve again but only for a short time. I just think you should leave past gens alone with this stuff, maybe explain it by the next gen have been exposed to radiation or experimented on... Then again you might use the same explanations with previous gens.

Then don't make him a starter, drop his place from the first 9 to higher up the charts.

I don't think the originals are perfect, for example they use the old "let's use real animals as pokemon" thing, ekans, arbok, pigeot evolutions, spearow, fearow etc, just smacks of super lazy.

I think 151 pokemon is a good fucking number, that is at the very least 150 episodes and the mew movie. I feel the only reason they have released more and more pokemon is to justify releasing more games aka milk the brand (like only Nintendo can). They even release two versions of the games and split the pokemon up, why not just stick all of them on one? Make more cash is my guess. Which is why I've only really played one 'cos that pisses me off.

Well, I know which version I'm getting now.

Dragonbums:

Thank goodness I'm getting X, because that is looking more and more like the cooler of the two versions.

Also congrats on the Escapist actually being on the ball with Pokemon news updates.

Help me out here, I can't decide between X or Y, so what is it about X that you prefer over the other, other than Mega Charizard X, and Y? (pun intended)

Ravage:

Dragonbums:

Help me out here, I can't decide between X or Y, so what is it about X that you prefer over the other, other than Mega Charizard X, and Y? (pun intended)

Oddly enough the Xerneas really got to me. That and and the background of the cover is really nice. As a bonus it's also a Fairy type Pokemon.

Now it has Mega Charizard X. Which makes it even more badass.

I mean, usually I go with Red things and Dark type anything, but something about Yveltal's design isn't working for me.

So...Charizard can be a legit dragon huh?

Does this look like...
The face of mercy?

Still no idea how the mega thing will work in the game itself, I know its not permanent and most likely will not be allowed in tournaments, but I also hope its not a cheap gamebreaker.

omega 616:

werewolfsfury:
snip

No, it just doesn't make sense. Pokemon is up to generation 7?8? Ash must be about 30 by now and only now they realize "hey, X amount of pokemon can evolve again but only for a short time. I just think you should leave past gens alone with this stuff, maybe explain it by the next gen have been exposed to radiation or experimented on... Then again you might use the same explanations with previous gens.

Then don't make him a starter, drop his place from the first 9 to higher up the charts.

I don't think the originals are perfect, for example they use the old "let's use real animals as pokemon" thing, ekans, arbok, pigeot evolutions, spearow, fearow etc, just smacks of super lazy.

I think 151 pokemon is a good fucking number, that is at the very least 150 episodes and the mew movie. I feel the only reason they have released more and more pokemon is to justify releasing more games aka milk the brand (like only Nintendo can). They even release two versions of the games and split the pokemon up, why not just stick all of them on one? Make more cash is my guess. Which is why I've only really played one 'cos that pisses me off.

Pokemon is by virtue a metagame strategy game.

If they stuck it to the original 151 the series would of died out. Same teams, same strategies, same ways to beat them. No fun there.
Now you have all types of teams with all types of Pokemon, and numerous combination of offensive/defensive ways to battle. It shakes things up and makes it a lot more fun.

You may think 151 is a good amount, but a lot of people, me included are always excited to see what new monsters they come up with, and what new ways we can utilize them in battle.

Also, Family Guy has been going on for years now and nobody questions the fact that the family has literally stayed the exact same way since it's inception.

These games come out once every 3-5 years. In fact, CoD is on a fast track to beating Pokemon in the number of installments it has and they aren't even the same age group.

Wait... he wasn't already? I'm so confused...

Jesus another megaevolution? I was hoping mewtwo would be the only one to get that treatment, it made sense for a legendary to get more attention.

But I do like Megazard's design, I might have to get X after all. Pretty much the only design for Y I liked was spritzee and the latest evolution reveal for it has me lukewarm. Hopefully its got a third stage.

I'm not sure I like this, yes, Fire/Dragon typing is probably my favorite typing imaginable, but I already have a special Pokemon for that. Plus, this feels a little to much like they are spoiling Charizard just because they can. It's funny coming from me considering Charizard is one of my favorites, but it seems so pointless and fan service-y.

One mega form was enough, two seems almost unfair to other Pokemon who may not even get a Megalution to begin with. On the other hand I will probably get X now, because of my love of the Dragon/Fire typing.

EDIT: Anyone else find it a bit funny it's a fire/dragon type, but it has Zekrom's black with blue tips coloration? No? Just me? Cool.

meh

cool as that is, its not enough to make want the version with the lame ass deer.

>.> unless you can trade the mega stones over ....

About time they made Charizard a dragon/fire type even if it just happens to be a mega Evolution

Awesome :D I was planning on getting X anyway! The blue fire would look insanely awesome if it didn't look so much like a moustache but in general I'm a fan of the new design and especially that it's finally part-Dragon! XD

Most definitely picking Charmander as my 1st gen starter!!

werewolfsfury:

emeraldrafael:

It's not like it's invincible or anything. Heck there's still the fairy type to counter it and charizard doesn't have stellar defenses in the first place.

even still, fairy is only doing x1 and if thats the case you can substitute flare blitz for outrage and get the esame effect. I just think its too much. I know its a mega evolution, but it feels like too much. Its starting to feel like how alakazam did in the original games.

omega 616:

werewolfsfury:
snip

Pokemon is up to gen 6 now and you have got to remember that Ash is a cartoon and not a real person. And they shouldn't just leave the past gens alone since that would leave them as weak and under powered compared to the newer gens. And they are going to explain what mega evolution is when the games come out.

They can't. The game was released years ago and it would be absolutely pointless to change it's number.

And yes 151 is a nice number but why just stop there? there are thousands more animals to make pokemon out of and hundreds more brilliant designs and ideas to flesh out the world.
They released more and more pokemon because people wanted more and more pokemon. It's a win win situation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here