Ready Your Wallets For the "Not On Steam Sale " - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ready Your Wallets For the "Not On Steam Sale " - UPDATED

Not On Steam Sale logo

The Not On Steam Sale is a fantastic collection of more than 35 indie games that you just can't get on Steam.

Steam is home to an awful lot of great games, but not all great games are on Steam. Because of that, they often tend to be overlooked; Steam is just so easy, convenient and well-stocked that a lot of gamers just don't bother looking elsewhere. But the Not On Steam Sale that went live today isn't quite so easy to ignore.

The name of the sale says it all: It's a whole bunch of indie games that aren't on Steam, brought together in one place and put on sale. It's not a bundle - each game is priced individually and you can buy as many or as few as you like. Some of the markdowns are fairly slight while others are cut more dramatically, and one is even free.

A few highlights: Race the Sun, a high-speed 3D racer, on for half price at $5; Vox, also half-price at $5; MouseCraft, currently in beta and available as "pay what you want"; Cute Things Dying Violently, one of the more self-explanatory games on the market, which is actually free; and Girls Like Robots, which is both tougher and more charming than it appears, at half-price - and you guessed it, $5. Most of the games in the sale are also on Steam Greenlight, and voting links are provided.

The sale was actually inspired by the "launch experiences" of Aaron San Filippo, co-founder of Race the Sun studio Flippfly. A blog post about those experiences helped draw attention to Race the Sun and push it to the top of the Greenlight list, and this sale is the studio's way of helping other indies increase their visibility as well - and earn a few bucks in the bargain. The Not On Steam Sale is live now and runs for one week.

Source: Not On Steam Sale

UPDATE: The Not On Steam Sale has been growing since it launched and now, with a little less than five days remaining, is up to 60 titles, all 25 percent off or more. Highlights among the newly-added games include I Get This Call Every Day, Real World Racing and my favorite of the bunch, Marvin's Mittens. If you didn't see anything you liked the first time around, it might be worth giving it another look - and keeping an eye on it until it's over.

More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale. Mousecraft looks pretty decent, but other than that I'm having a hard time falling in love with any of these games.

P.S. Thanks

Wasn't Girl's Like Robots an [adultswim] game? Hardly an indie title since it was developed by a time warner subsidiary company.

Is this entire indie collection just to show steam in a bad light?
Are they piggy back riding on steam' good name and popularity?
Is this a bunch of indies that got turned down by steam?

That's atleast what I think when I look at that name and the website.

aw come on do not get toxic. its a quib at steam not a declaration of war. just because the games have not yet greenlit does not mean noone wants them.

Ok, can someone who knows more about those titles help me out here?
1. WTF is The Yawhg supposed to be?
2. The video for ring runner says there is a demo but I can't find it on the developer's page?
The other stuff didn't pique my interest... interesting concept, maybe they'll at least get some greenlight votes.

Sofus:
Is this entire indie collection just to show steam in a bad light?

No, it's a way to draw attention to a bunch of indie games that are slowly working their way through the Greenlight process. The whole thing started with Race the Sun, a simple but really good game that was stuck in the depths of Greenlight. A blog post about the process by its creator attracted a lot of attention to the game, people started playing it and it very quickly began rising through the ranks - it actually got the Greenlight today. So Flippfly (the indie studio that made it) decided to try to do the same thing for others: give them some exposure, get people playing the games and hopefully help get them through the Greenlight process. It's not an anti-Steam thing at all - if anything, it's a pro-Steam effort on behalf of developers who have been excluded because of an arbitrary voting process.

Mousecraft is the only game I purchased because its the only one that showed promise to me.

I can guess why they haven't made it to Steam. I wish the best of luck to these indie developers, but I won't be buying any of these.

After watching all the videos, I can honestly say they all look like shit, I can appreciate the hard work that went into making these games but they really look like shit

It's the hipster sale.

Anyway, Ring Runner looks pretty amazing. Sounds like a ton of variety content too.

Shame I can't actually find the supposed demo, otherwise I probably would have cared.

Covarr:
More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale. Mousecraft looks pretty decent, but other than that I'm having a hard time falling in love with any of these games.

P.S. Thanks

More like the "Valve choose games that aren't done over these completed games" sale.

When I saw Death Inc get Greenlit a week after the company shut down I truly gave up on Greenlight. There should be some qualifier for a game to be greenlit like, I dunno, having a company that exists to make the game.

On an unrelated note, Steam made me chuckle the other day when I saw Daikatana up in the store.

Aces Wild is an excellent brawler and anyone who's a fan of brawlers should grab that game. Other than that none of the other games interest me thus far.

Inescapable looks like a game I might like. Though I wish they hadn't went with 16bit graphics.

synobal:
Inescapable looks like a game I might like. Though I wish they hadn't went with 16bit graphics.

And go with what, 3D? I think it looks alright. It's not like many other Metroidvania's were make in any other style.

KeyMaster45:
Wasn't Girl's Like Robots an [adultswim] game? Hardly an indie title since it was developed by a time warner subsidiary company.

No, it wasn't developed by Adult Swim. Girls Like Robots was developed by PopCannibal, a one-man (plus contractors) developer. Adult Swim published it on iOS.

Wow, what the frackity frack is this site? looks like I got a new book mark. Thanks again Andy. I'll have to take a look here when there is something that really catches my eye on greenlight.

Just finished taking a look. Not too much I'd be interested in except maybe Leviathan or Loren amazon princess. Maybe Full Bore.

AzrealMaximillion:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

More like the "Valve we choose games that aren't done over these completed games" sale.

FIFY

Looks like some got through the popularity contest that is Greenlight after all so good for them.

Ed130:

AzrealMaximillion:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

More like the "Valve we choose games that aren't done over these completed games" sale.

FIFY

Looks like some got through the popularity contest that is Greenlight after all so good for them.

I'd still have to say that Valve chose to put incomplete games over completed games. Yes, we voted for the games, but Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that probably won't see the light of day.

"We" voted for Death Inc. The company went out of business. Valve choose to Greenlight the game anyways.

"We" voted for Shadow of the Immortals. The game's Kickstarter failed twice, badly and is currently on hold with no means of funding. Valve chose to Greenlight it still.

That's my problem with Greenlight. In the end Valve still curates the Steam library with Greenlight and Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that, frankly, won't see a release. Period. They could instead Greenlight a game that is at least close to done or done. The current Greenlight proccess isn't that good and open for indie devs if they are constantly being slighted due to simple votes. There seems to be a lack of critical thinking when it comes to Greenlighting games.

Why bother Greenlighting a game that has no chance of being made at all over a game that's also popular with voter, but actually done or close to done.

Zeckt:
Loren amazon princess

Demo here: http://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
Uhm...morbidly intriguing.
Hardly the next Betrayal at Krondor that it promises at first -- surely not in taste or in writing quality. Combat and character systems are serviceable, but beyond that gameplay is limited to choose-your-own-adventure choices and pick-your-personality conversation, though at least these can get a tad more complex than "saint or asshole".
There's a "less trashy" setting if you have that much shame.

Damn, I wish I had been able to get in on this... That's really disappointing. Oh well.

AzrealMaximillion:

Ed130:

AzrealMaximillion:

FIFY

I'd still have to say that Valve chose to put incomplete games over completed games. Yes, we voted for the games, but Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that probably won't see the light of day.

"We" voted for Death Inc. The company went out of business. Valve choose to Greenlight the game anyways.

"We" voted for Shadow of the Immortals. The game's Kickstarter failed twice, badly and is currently on hold with no means of funding. Valve chose to Greenlight it still.

That's my problem with Greenlight. In the end Valve still curates the Steam library with Greenlight and Valve can choose to not Greenlight games that, frankly, won't see a release. Period. They could instead Greenlight a game that is at least close to done or done. The current Greenlight proccess isn't that good and open for indie devs if they are constantly being slighted due to simple votes. There seems to be a lack of critical thinking when it comes to Greenlighting games.

Why bother Greenlighting a game that has no chance of being made at all over a game that's also popular with voter, but actually done or close to done.

So your complaining that Valve doesn't arbitrarily say no to games that thousands of Steam users had voted for?

You can't have it both ways, the Greenlight system was created due to people complaining that Valve could just (and in several cases did) say no to a game and that was it. Now you Valve to just say no to games again in-spite of several thousand users voting for it? Even when excited devs post on their Greenlight pages that they are now in the top ten/twenty/one-hundred?

So what if some games are not coming out now (if ever?) There isn't a limited number of slots to Steam, in fact there are several games/mods from the first wave that have yet to come out and that hasn't stopped Valve confirming over one-hundred and fifty Greenlight projects in the past few months.

Finally who says those games won't eventually come out? A confirmed place on Steam is a good selling point for potential investors and the devs have paid the fee donation and put in the work to get the votes. If anyone does have the right to veto the Greenlight it should be the ones who stuck it up there in the first place.

Greenlight is a messed up system, its essentially a popularity contest but if you are going to to complain about it, make sure you remember that in the end of the day the majority of people voted in Yogscast Adventures.

Ahhh, the joys of democracy at work.

Not on steam games sale- awesome - oh wait its unfinished games indies bunch - and back to the regular routine of being cynical and hating everything.

These look like a bunch of subpar alpha-state indie games...

A few look nice and even promising, but I far prefer the curation that steam offers for these kinds of games. Thanks for reporting on it though! I like the idea of a few of these and look forward to seeing what they turn out to be post-alpha.

I'd rather wait and see if they get Greenlighted on Steam. So far, it seems like a pretty good way to do some basic, community-based quality control.
Interesting idea though.

I feel a having a description for each game would be very helpful as clicking through the videos to get an idea of the games is time consuming and annoying.

Neat, I've been following a bunch of the games from this sale. Might as well buy them all now.

Has anyone played Richard and Alice? It's the only one I'm on the fence about.

Strazdas:
Not on steam games sale- awesome - oh wait its unfinished games indies bunch - and back to the regular routine of being cynical and hating everything.

Lightknight:
These look like a bunch of subpar alpha-state indie games...

Only a fraction is unfinished (indicated by the hourglass icon), most of the games are complete.

rofltehcat:
Ok, can someone who knows more about those titles help me out here?
1. WTF is The Yawhg supposed to be?

Basically it's a co-optional choose-your-own-adventure kind of game (although you can just as well play alone of course) with 2-4 characters.
Each week every character can choose a location in town to visit and one of the corresponding occupations (e.g. go to tavern and either have a drink or be a barkeeper) which raises certain stats (charisma, strength, mind, etc). Each location has a number of random events with multiple choices (partly mundane, partly very weird), the outcome of which depends on stats (e.g. you can break up a fight in the tavern with enough charisma, otherwise you fail. Or you can join the fight.). Some events have lasting effects or can be witnessed by other characters.
This goes on for six or seven weeks until the Yahwg, which is a sort of catastrophe, and depending on each character's actions there's an ending wrapping everything up.

There're quite a lot of events for the game to last a bunch of playthroughs but a single playthrough is very short (15-25 min maybe, depending on how fast you read). The music is very nice, though. I wouldn't recommend the game for $10 but for half the price it's worth a try if you're into this sort of stuff.

Covarr:
More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale.

haha

The Escapist needs a like button for posts do that I don't have to quote and respond to say "I agree"

I agree.

Smertnik:
Only a fraction is unfinished (indicated by the hourglass icon), most of the games are complete.

Only a fraction? Like 9/10ths?

Joking aside, I think it was the listing I saw yesterday that made me think that. Revisiting the site today showed a lot more innovative and finished games.

ccdohl:

Covarr:
More like the "couldn't get through Greenlight" sale.

haha

The Escapist needs a like button for posts do that I don't have to quote and respond to say "I agree"

I agree.

Sort of like... a comment rating system? :p

Sounds perfect for me. I'll look through it.

I might buy something, if they had a damn tag system. You'd think with the aim of increasing accessibility to these games, they make them a bit, well, accessible. I am NOT going to rifle through several dozen youtube videos in the hopes of finding my kind of RPG or simulator. I do enough of that crap when voting on Greenlight.

So what happens to a game on NotOnSteam if the game ends up on Steam (gets Greenlit)? Does the game get removed from the NotOnSteam service? And if so what happens for all those people who bought the game? Do they lose access? And if NotOnSteam keeps a game that ends up on Steam then won't that make their name a lie?

Kuala BangoDango:
So what happens to a game on NotOnSteam if the game ends up on Steam (gets Greenlit)? Does the game get removed from the NotOnSteam service? And if so what happens for all those people who bought the game? Do they lose access? And if NotOnSteam keeps a game that ends up on Steam then won't that make their name a lie?

Not On Steam isn't a service, it's just a list of games that are currently available for purchase on other platforms or directly from the developers that aren't on Steam. Nothing happens if and when they make it on Steam, except that they're on Steam. (And I read somewhere that at least some devs have promised to provide to provide Steam keys to everyone who purchases the game pre-Steam if they get through Greenlight.)

More than half of those have a Greenlight campaign going.

This isn't "Not On Steam", it's "Not On Steam, yet".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here