Update: Watch Dogs Won't Run on 32-Bit Windows

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Update: Watch Dogs Won't Run on 32-Bit Windows

watch dogs

Ubisoft have released the official system requirements for Watch Dogs, and as expected, they are pretty hefty.

If you are still using a PC from 2005 that runs on the 32-bit version of Windows, you may want to consider upgrading if you plan on playing Ubisoft's new sandbox hacking game Watch Dogs. Ubisoft has unveiled the game's official PC system requirements, and as is expected considering the amazing graphical fidelity we've seen in trailers so far, they are quite hefty.

At minimum, you'll need a 64-bit version of Windows, a quad-core CPU, a Direct X 11-capable graphics card with at least 1 GB of Video RAM, and at least 4 GB of standard RAM. Ubisoft gives the Nvidia GTX 460 or the AMD Radeon HD 5770 as examples of cards that hit the minimum requirements.

As for the recommended requirements, Ubisoft suggests at least 8 GB of RAM, an 8-core CPU, and a graphics card with at least 2 GB of video RAM, such as the Nvidia GTX 560 or the AMD Radeon HD 7850.

They've also released a third set of requirements, the "Ultra" specification, for those of you who want to melt your PC. The ultra specification recommends an 8-core-plus CPU, coupled with the Nvidia GTX 670 or the AMD Radeon HD 7970.

For those of you who have been quite happily sitting on older systems that have out-paced current-gen consoles for years, this is your wakeup call that next-gen is finally here, and developers are actually designing games for higher-end PCs once more.

Source: Uplay Client via All For Game News

Update:

Looks like the game's specs won't be quite so demanding after all. Sebastien Viard, the graphics technical director for Watch Dogs, has Tweeted: "Hello. It is not the official configs. The real specs will come out soon and will be lower than these :)".

Source: Incgamers

Wheee! My system is finally outdated!

Good thing I've already started collecting parts for my next PC.

People still use 32-bit systems? Come on, get with the program!

8-core?
In Intel the only thing that fits that is the Core i7, even i5 is Quad Core, i3 is Dual Core with Hyperthreading.
Can it only work well on AMD then?
Rest of the requirements are kind of reasonable for a next-gen game.

Clive Howlitzer:

Can't, I only have 2 GB DDR2 Ram.

Arif_Sohaib:

Clive Howlitzer:

You can still use a 64 bit OS on 2 gig of ram. I have 16 gig of ram :D

Arif_Sohaib:

Clive Howlitzer:

Ah yeah, that blows. I remember for awhile I couldn't upgrade because upgrading one thing meant I needed to upgrade another, and so forth and so forth. Finally had to just build a whole new rig. They are pretty affordable nowadays at least. Best of luck!

Clive Howlitzer:

Arif_Sohaib:

Clive Howlitzer:

Ah yeah, that blows. I remember for awhile I couldn't upgrade because upgrading one thing meant I needed to upgrade another, and so forth and so forth. Finally had to just build a whole new rig. They are pretty affordable nowadays at least. Best of luck!

My thoughts exactly. But still not going to get i7. I can only afford i3 and AMD processors do not work in my country, so their cheaper options are out.
Hows this;
Core i3 Haswell(the recently released one)
AMD 7750
4 GB RAM(8 if I can afford it)
Budget Motherboard(I am think the 81 or 85 chipset)

Evil Smurf:

Arif_Sohaib:

Clive Howlitzer:

You can still use a 64 bit OS on 2 gig of ram. I have 16 gig of ram :D

You can, but whats the point when 32 bit works just as well for 2 GB?

Arif_Sohaib:

Clive Howlitzer:

As Evil Smurf already pointed out, you can run a x86_64 OS with just 2GB of RAM. I don't recommend it though, because you'll have less RAM to work with left then (OS+Applications need more RAM on x86_64 and you already have a too low amount of RAM).
That being said, I wouldn't complain if some (or even all) next-gen games won't run on your computer. I cannot clearly remember when gaming PCs had 2GB of RAM, but computers from back then will have a hard time with upcomming AAA titles.

This hint is pretty pointless, actually.

32 bit systems can address 3,5 GB of RAM at best, the minimum requirement is 4 GB. In other words: even if it had 32 bit support, it wouldn't run on 32 bit systems.

Also, my PC starts to get old. Built it sometime in 2007, gave it a Core2Duo 6750, a Radeon HD 3850 and 4 GB DDR 2 RAM. I'm surprised I was able to play everything for this long, back in the days you could consider yourself lucky when you two years old former high end PC meets the minimum requirements of the latest blockbuster. :D

Well, that was fast.

Here I thought the six core I got last year was going to keep me above the recommended specs for at least a few more years.

*sigh*

At least my 650 ti is still above them.

Geez they really are trying to get people to DOWNgrade to that Vista/7/8 trilogy of crap!

Or wait... Would it work on 64-bit XP? Maybe I could get those.

Valve needs to hurry up with that gaming Linux of theirs. I'm tired of all these broken windows.

I know computers are getting faster and more powerful all the time, but a recommendation of an 8-core processor and 2gb video RAM? That seems a little bit like overkill. I wanted to play it, but I'll almost have to buy a new PC to do it.

Arif_Sohaib:
AMD processors do not work in my country, so their cheaper options are out.

Wait what? Surely you are mixing your words there...processors aren't region locked. If you're going for such a budget build you'll likely get better value with AMD parts.

64bit OS? Check!
8GB RAM? Check!(16GB)
8-core CPU? Check!
AMD 7970? Check!

Come at me, specs, show me whatchya got!
Finally next-gen consoles are starting to define the recommended specs of equivalent PCs.

Clive Howlitzer:

That's what I was thinking, it's about bloody time 32bit was dropped, heck even a system from the local retail store comes with 64bit now adays.

xXSnowyXx:

Arif_Sohaib:

Wait what? Surely you are mixing your words there...processors aren't region locked. If you're going for such a budget build you'll likely get better value with AMD parts.

I know AMD has a better budget range while Intel has better Hing-end stuff but AMD has no suppliers in Pakistan. I already have an imported AMD 455 processor(gift from my sister from US) but no motherboard for it so it is still in its box.

Well I can run it...just, I need to upgrade my CPU. Commiserations to any 32 bit users.
But 8 cores? Really? I doubt that.
RE: Update:
Yeah that's what I thought.

Arif_Sohaib:

xXSnowyXx:

Arif_Sohaib:

I know AMD has a better budget range while Intel has better Hing-end stuff but AMD has no suppliers in Pakistan. I already have an imported AMD 455 processor(gift from my sister from US) but no motherboard for it so it is still in its box.

Shhh! Most of the Americans don't even realize the rest of the world exists! Please don't upset them!

Kidding aside, yeah sadly it isn't as easy to buy technology for some of us out here as it is for the West. While AMD is a direct and easily available competitor for Intel over there, for us AMDs are all imported and scarce. And even if you can find one the prices are so inflated it isn't worth bothering.

As for 32 bit systems going the way of the Dodo, well this is what happens with technological progress. Thanks to the albatross of consoles holding PC gaming advances back we've forgotten how quickly the technology can change.

8 core CPU as a requirement? I'm a tech geek, I look up tech news all the time, and I could have sworn that we were only just barely getting into the days where you need a quad core to play modern games. When did 8 core requirements sneak up on us?

Clive Howlitzer:

Well if you'll kindly donate a copy of windows 7 I would have it, as it stands I'm running windows XP. Other people can donate the rest, it's not easy to keep up with technology when you're disabled and don't have a job.

RikuoAmero:
8 core CPU as a requirement? I'm a tech geek, I look up tech news all the time, and I could have sworn that we were only just barely getting into the days where you need a quad core to play modern games. When did 8 core requirements sneak up on us?

It's not really a requirement per se, but if they said a nebulous '4 core' requirement, people with the new low end AMD Quads would moan. It's like how 'quad core' games run fine on sandy bridge dual cores. Always assume a core based requirement is for AMD. Halve it for intel.

If you have anything newer than an i5-760, you'll be fine on the quad core side. The good thing is about the next gen is that games will be coded to use 6-8 threads more often though (and they need to with how weak each Jaguar core is!), so AMD CPUs wont be so lacklustre in games comparatively. Which is great, because AMD CPUs are a fair bit cheaper.

RikuoAmero:

That's for the highest settings though. It was going to happen eventually anyway I suppose. Part of me wonders if it's actually being ported and optimized well for PC or if it's just a quick hack job with specs like those though.

Finally i can put my Haswell 4770k to good use!
8 gigs of ram? pfft (try 32!)
Guess my only bottleneck is my 660 2gb.

This makes no sense.
If the game already runs on last gen consoles, than why can't it run on PC's that are in every aspect more powerful than last gen consoles?
We are talking here about the minimum specs. So they should be minimal.

*looks at ultra specification*

*looks at (my) PC hardware*

Bring it on! I have been preparing for this. My PC is ready.

I wonder whether it will really utilize all those 8 cores or is this just another gimmick to sell new line of products from intel and amd.

Krantos:
Well, that was fast.

Here I thought the six core I got last year was going to keep me above the recommended specs for at least a few more years.

*sigh*

At least my 650 ti is still above them.

heh, I got the same setup (6 core AMD fx and GF 650 ti)

When looking at CPU requirements I usually ignore the recommended specs.

Steven Bogos:

They've also released a third set of requirements, the "Ultra" specification, for those of you who want to melt your PC. The ultra specification recommends an 8-core-plus CPU, coupled with the Nvidia GTX 670 or the AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Oh you Twats, just because i have the Radeon 7950.
Well, at least i know i will be able to run it on high (or a little more with some tweaking).

Well. if games are going to start wanting 8-core CPU's already, maybe I'll regret my decision to stick with an i5 "because the i7 doesn't offer much more for games anyway". And perhaps next gen games will be a bigger jump in terms of system requirements than I though they would, since I can max out games like Tomb Raider, and now I don't even match the recomended specs.

Then again, surely if you had an i7 and a GTX 560, the 560 would be the bottleneck? This whole needing an 8-core CPU thing looks a little bit weird to me.

Arif_Sohaib:
8-core?
In Intel the only thing that fits that is the Core i7, even i5 is Quad Core, i3 is Dual Core with Hyperthreading.

Close, but I think you'll find that in Intel the only thing that fits is nothing. There are no 8 core Core processors, even i7 only goes up to six, and they haven't even bothered with that many with the Haswell architecture.

So really, the claim that this is the recommended requirements is just plain stupid. Virtually no-one has an 8-core CPU because it's virtually impossible to find one even if you want to. Even AMD only sell a couple of 8-cores, and since they tended to score worse than Intel CPUs, and even some previous AMD ones, on benchmarks, not many people looking for a high-end gaming machine will have them. Even Crysis had fairly sensible recommended specs, it was just capable of making use of a lot more if you happened to have it. Setting recommended specs that a tiny fraction of potential customers can meet is just stupid.

Hoofah, 8 core? Damn. Guess it really is time to upgrade my quad.

TheComfyChair:

RikuoAmero:

It's not really a requirement per se, but if they said a nebulous '4 core' requirement, people with the new low end AMD Quads would moan. It's like how 'quad core' games run fine on sandy bridge dual cores. Always assume a core based requirement is for AMD. Halve it for intel.

If you have anything newer than an i5-760, you'll be fine on the quad core side. The good thing is about the next gen is that games will be coded to use 6-8 threads more often though (and they need to with how weak each Jaguar core is!), so AMD CPUs wont be so lacklustre in games comparatively. Which is great, because AMD CPUs are a fair bit cheaper.

Could you explain that about AMD requirements? I'd been thinking of upgrading my CPU (Running a PhenomII 965 currently), and this might push me over the edge, but I keep coming back to whether I should get a new AMD cpu, or just shell out a little bit more and get an Intel Motherboard alongside one of their nicer cards. It sounds like you're saying that the brand might not matter as much in the next gen though?

I built my PC mostly on trial and error, so my tech geek cred is a bit limited, as well as my knowledge of how the CPU affects gaming.

Brrr, between this and X:Rebirth's requirements my machine is slipping ever closer to being obsolete.

Damn it, I knew when I bought that i5 2500k last year it would become obsolete fast. Ah well, no point running this at 15fps on minimum so I guess I should hold on for a PS4 version.

Kahani:

Close, but I think you'll find that in Intel the only thing that fits is nothing. There are no 8 core Core processors, even i7 only goes up to six, and they haven't even bothered with that many with the Haswell architecture.

So really, the claim that this is the recommended requirements is just plain stupid. Virtually no-one has an 8-core CPU because it's virtually impossible to find one even if you want to. Even AMD only sell a couple of 8-cores, and since they tended to score worse than Intel CPUs, and even some previous AMD ones, on benchmarks, not many people looking for a high-end gaming machine will have them. Even Crysis had fairly sensible recommended specs, it was just capable of making use of a lot more if you happened to have it. Setting recommended specs that a tiny fraction of potential customers can meet is just stupid.

Stupid maybe, but at least they're being honest. Since the new consoles have 8 cores it's going to be a hard requirement for PC games going forward. Until someone actually releases a decent 8-core it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here