Sleeping Dogs Sequel Triad Wars Confirmed

Sleeping Dogs Sequel Triad Wars Confirmed

Sleeping Dogs jumpkick

United Front Games will be working with Square Enix to develop and publish Triad Wars, a sequel to 2012's Sleeping Dogs.

A lot of people, including the Escapist's editor-in-chief Greg Tito, were impressed by the open world crime drama experience offered by Sleeping Dogs. One party not initially pleased with the game, however, was Square Enix. The publisher, banking on the trio of Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution to improve its fiscal situation, ended 2012 with all three games selling less than expected. Square Enix would go on to admit its expectations had been too high, but many fans still left the game worried that it would be wind up being a one shot IP, doomed to drift into obscurity.

Thankfully, those worries can now be put to rest. United Front Games, the developer behind Sleeping Dogs, has announced that it will be receiving a sequel in the form of Triad Wars. While the studio wasn't able to divulge many specific details for the game, it was able to confirm that it would be "based in the Sleeping Dogs universe" and that the studio would have more details "in 2014."

While we'd be happier if United Front were able to divulge more details on what Triad Wars will actually be and what it will draw from its predecessor, we won't complain about good news. At the end of the day, Sleeping Dogs was a great game and if the studio can simply expand and refine on the work it's already done, there will likely be some happy gamers in the near future.

Source: United Front Games

Pleeease don't let this be F2P M2M MMO MOB crap. I hope to heck not, because Sleeping Dogs was great fun.

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favourite games of all time. I felt connected to each of the characters and this in turn invoked an emotional response. Can't wait for the sequel, glad it's happening.

Ah god, it's the "based in universe" thing where it'll inevitably veer off into some ridiculous genre like a Kung-fu MMO.

Actually, I'd be down for that. Be part of a variety of triad factions, recruit friends and such, try to control parts of Hong Kong. 10/10 Like Planetside with fists.

Just anything but a fucking Mobile game. Or MOBA.

Sweet! Sleeping Dogs was awesome. I'd love to see more of Wei Shen.

Predictable, really. None of their major releases sold as much as they had hoped. But what choice do they have? Bet on new IP's or make sequels to critically acclaimed titles?

I'm pleased to hear this, nonetheless. Sleeping Dogs was a good game. But for a free roaming game it was short and it didn't have nearly enough content to justify the $60 price tag. And on top of that it was filled with DLC content. All of that DLC should have been in the core game. More people would have bought the game. Look at GTA, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed games. Filled with lots of content right out of the game. Assassin's Creed without the DLC is a yearly release with more than 20h worth of single player content. Sleeping Dogs with the DLC had about 15h worth of content.

I really liked Sleeping Dogs. I hope this is going to be good.

Cool, game was alright. Not the best, kinda predictable at times, but it should be fun.

Sleeping Dogs was my GOTY last year so I'm hyped as hell for a sequel. My only worry is with the term "set in the Sleeping Dogs Universe" and the title "Triad War" it just seems like the way some marketing head would name and describe some sort of f2p spin off rather then a true sequel. Hopefully I'm wrong about this and United Front is working on a true sequel that will possibly out shine the original.

I loved True Crime New York and I saw some great potential with Sleeping Dogs. Playing an undercover cop has always been an interesting aspect to take.

Nice to see Squeenix is pulling their head out of their arses with their silly sales expectations.

Nice, now i need to replay it though, just for the hell of it. What a shame....

In any case, the way i remember it there wasn't really anything side mission-y in the game (could be wrong though, been a while). Just fix that and maybe even a bit less gunplay and it's an awesome game IMO.

Great! I loved the game....until I saw that it wasnt Steam-cloud-saved and that I just erased my saves....
Still, it was am awesome game!

I loved Sleeping Dogs, one of my favourite games from 2012. Here's to hoping this is good! :D

Adam Jensen:
Predictable, really. None of their major releases sold as much as they had hoped. But what choice do they have? Bet on new IP's or make sequels to critically acclaimed titles?

I'm pleased to hear this, nonetheless. Sleeping Dogs was a good game. But for a free roaming game it was short and it didn't have nearly enough content to justify the $60 price tag. And on top of that it was filled with DLC content. All of that DLC should have been in the core game. More people would have bought the game. Look at GTA, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed games. Filled with lots of content right out of the game. Assassin's Creed without the DLC is a yearly release with more than 20h worth of single player content. Sleeping Dogs with the DLC had about 15h worth of content.

I easily got 25 hours of fun play time when I maxed out all the achievements for Sleeping Dogs, NOT counting any DLC.

And even so, 60 bucks for 15 hours worth of content is still good value, regardless of your preconceptions of how much value a sandbox game should give you.

It was an engaging game that was a lot of fun in many different ways. It wasn't over in 4-6 hours, like A LOT of action titles these days. Your whining is irrelevant.

The name just makes me think this'll be a portable game.

Not that I'd object to that, a Sleeping Dog's game on the Vita would get me to buy the Vita.

This is the most pleasantly surprising news I've heard recently.

I loved, LOVED Sleeping Dogs. It was flawed as hell but goddamn...I just fucking loved it. Hopefully the sequel can improve on the foundations and make it a bigger and better game. Going by the name...it's definitely gonna be bigger.

Still haven't played the original, since the German version is censored and I am too lazy to ask someone outside of this country to gift it to me.

dakkster:

Adam Jensen:

I easily got 25 hours of fun play time when I maxed out all the achievements for Sleeping Dogs, NOT counting any DLC.

And even so, 60 bucks for 15 hours worth of content is still good value, regardless of your preconceptions of how much value a sandbox game should give you.

It was an engaging game that was a lot of fun in many different ways. It wasn't over in 4-6 hours, like A LOT of action titles these days. Your whining is irrelevant.

Remember when 15 hours was considered good value for a linear game? I miss those days. People seem to think that games with 4-10 hour campaigns costing 60 bucks (or 90 bucks here in Australia) is ok now because its more common when it really isn't. Open world games should have a least 20 hours content minimum. I wont even touch a full price game if it gives less then 10 hours content not including multiplayer. Because its a scam if it doesn't.

I'm not so sure about "great", but it was definitely good.

Mixed feelings here even though I liked Sleeping Dogs. I didn't expect it to become a bigger franchise because the story was tied up well in the end with not much else left to do unless they go with a new character.

I can't deny it's potential though. The dialogue, the visuals, the music and the detailed world made this game stand out, and the unique free-running and martial arts gave the sandbox genre a breathe of fresh air to make the action more grounded than other open world games but also equally exhilarating.

A sequel or multiple sequels concerns me a bit though. Sleeping Dogs already has that Assassin's Creed problem where it could really stand to trim the pointless tedium and scale back on the gameplay to flesh out the actually fun parts some more (parkour and kung fu). Because once guns were introduced halfway through the game and used prominently from then on, it became this thinly spread, standard action game.

At first I was impressed because your boss says even though guns are present in Hong Kong they are a rarity, it made me think weapons truly would be a last resort or something intimidating to raise the stakes in a situation. But then they pop up in almost every mission from then on. I want more intense fist fights! WAAAY more over the top environmental kills! More dashing through alleys, climbing walls and jumping people's backyard fences while a group of enemies chase behind me, yelling profanities and shaking their fists! I already have a Marcus Fenix and his eleven million clones, I don't really have a Wei Shen yet (sort of).

Something about the name 'Triad Wars' rubs me the wrong way. Like they're making an MMO spin-off in the 'Sleeping Dogs Universe' or something. I'm hoping this is actually a true sequel to Sleeping Dogs though, because that game was great.

A long time ago, in a contemporary city far, far away....

"Use the force, shen."

Name sounds stupid but I'm way excited.

Please don't spinoff into something shit.

I just started playing Sleeping Dogs, and so far I've enjoyed it much more than what I've played of GTA4 or 5. Hoping it's a full fledged sequel that improves upon the game and adds more customization options, and not some MMO or whatever side project people are theorizing.

Andy Shandy:
Ah god, it's the "based in universe" thing where it'll inevitably veer off into some ridiculous genre like a Kung-fu MMO.

Actually, I'd be down for that. Be part of a variety of triad factions, recruit friends and such, try to control parts of Hong Kong. 10/10 Like Planetside with fists.

Just anything but a fucking Mobile game. Or MOBA.

What are you talking about? A Kung Fu MMO sounds awesome!

I pray to god this isn't a disappointment. After the failure that was Deus Ex on the iPad, I really need a good, under-appreciated game sequel that will be worth playing.

Is it weird that I'm more hyped by the revealing of the mere prospect of a new Sleeping Dogs game than I am by the entire buildup and post release hype of GTA V?

LegendaryVKickr:
I pray to god this isn't a disappointment. After the failure that was Deus Ex on the iPad, I really need a good, under-appreciated game sequel that will be worth playing.

Is it weird that I'm more hyped by the revealing of the mere prospect of a new Sleeping Dogs game than I am by the entire buildup and post release hype of GTA V?

I don't think it's weird at all. GTA is a technical marvel and has all those little details and the social commentary and blah blah blah, don't care. The core gameplay, just the number of ways you can interact with enemies and the things you can do from moment to moment of Sleeping Dogs vs GTA makes it way more interesting for me to play.

If by the name this means it's going to go deeper into the conflict between Sun On Yee and 18k, then I'm very interested. That was an avenue that wasn't explored nearly enough in Sleeping Dogs.

I loved Sleeping dogs, and I hope that this game will be just as good. I'll have to keep an eye on the development of this one.

GiantRaven:
If by the name this means it's going to go deeper into the conflict between Sun On Yee and 18k, then I'm very interested. That was an avenue that wasn't explored nearly enough in Sleeping Dogs.

I couldn't agree more. I too would be interested in the back story behind the animosity between the Sun on Yee and the 18K.

The name Triad Wars does not sound like a proper sequel. Sleeping Dogs 2 would be a sequel.

Artina89:
I couldn't agree more. I too would be interested in the back story behind the animosity between the Sun on Yee and the 18K.

That would the game would be a prequel. That would mean it would have more Dogeyes. I am totally down with that.

GiantRaven:

Artina89:

That would the game would be a prequel. That would mean it would have more Dogeyes. I am totally down with that.

Sam "Dogeyes" Lin was a far more interesting character than Winston Chu in my humble opinion.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here