Support the Veterans by Playing Black Ops 2

Support the Veterans by Playing Black Ops 2

Call of Duty Endowment

This week Activision, Treyarch and Microsoft will be donating the profits from selected Black Ops 2 DLC packs to the Call of Duty Endowment.

The folks at Activision have always had a soft spot for veterans. In 2009 they launched the Call of Duty Endowment, a non-profit organization that assists veterans with job placement, training and educational services. And this week, Activision is rolling out a plan that will allow Black Ops 2 players to chip in by purchasing selected DLC packs.

Starting tomorrow, anyone who purchases one of the 17 Black Ops 2 personalization packs on Xbox LIVE will receive a 25 percent discount. Plus, Activision, Treyarch and Microsoft will be donating all of the profits to the Call of Duty Endowment.

"This is a great opportunity for the Call of Duty community to get involved, and we're delighted to work with Treyarch and our friends at Xbox to donate all profits from this activity toward helping vets find good jobs," said Dan Goldenberg, Executive Director of the Call of Duty Endowment. "For most veterans, there's nothing more important to easing their transition back into the civilian world than finding meaningful work."

The event will end on October 14th. So, if you're looking for an excuse to play a little Black Ops 2, this might be a good one.

Source: Press Release

Are you serious? You are better off donating to the actual charities that help veterans instead.

I wish they would do this on Steam with DLC I would be all over it, but I dont have Blops 2 on the XBOX

I'd rather just give money to charity, however I do like this direction.

That's pretty cool and I can't imagine that those packs cost a lot for them to make (as in, I imagine a LOT of it is profit).

Not everyone likes to just straight up donate their money and would like to get something in return for it. This also feels like a nice way to cater to the teenage crowd as a sort of "donating to good causes is a good thing" lesson.

"We're donating all of the PROFITS to charity."

"We're donating all of the MONEY to charity."

Funny how one word can change everything.

Alpha Maeko:

Well, what do you expect? This is Activision, the greatest evil in the world of gaming, moreso because unlike EA, the vast majority of people don't consider them that bad. For a moment, I thought that perhaps I'd have to admit they did something nice, but not so much. I'll just do what I always do, and give to charity instead.

Alpha Maeko:

Oh, and my 16 million salaray is considered a cost BEFORE profit so... thanks, Veterens!

*flips bird*

I've got a better idea! Let's not have veterans in the first place!

How about the fucking rich comopanys just donate the money and stop trying to abuse this kinda stuff for prodfit. that would be great.

Well, time to bust this one out again:

What is it about charity that turns so many people into condescending assholes? Yeah Activision could do more. But they're doing something and that means more money to help more veterans. This is a good thing.

AS an active duty service member (USN), I like what they're doing here. Sure, they're not giving all of their proceeds to the cause but its certainly better than nothing. Besides, given CoD's colossal player base on XBL, this could turn out to be quite a hefty sum of money.

As an Iraq veteran, it's cool what they're doing but I still refuse to play COD.

I don't think even charity is enough to get me back into the cesspool that is that is the frustration and community of CoD.

Wait, they're donating the profits from DLC sales whilst also discounting them by 25%? I guess the vets don't deserve that extra 25%. And why not donate all of the proceeds or have a special free DLC to raise awareness and ask people to donate to veterans charities directly? Oh right, they want publicity whilst giving away as little as possible. Can't mess with Bobby's paycheck after all.

Never heard of the charity, but job placement and training is one of the things that vets need; because the training that is given in the military doesn't transfer over to the civilian world. So good on them, and for everyone who's being condescending about it; fucking cry more or donate more than they're willing to, then you'll have some high ground to stand on.

Kheapathic:
and for everyone who's being condescending about it; fucking cry more or donate more than they're willing to, then you'll have some high ground to stand on.

Naw, it's cool. My country has free retraining programs for everyone - not just veterans :)

Rated #1 most free nation on the planet, woo!

Damn this high ground I'm standing on is comfy.

Kheapathic:
and for everyone who's being condescending about it; fucking cry more or donate more than they're willing to, then you'll have some high ground to stand on.

And what if we already did? Can we then be condescending about it?

I'd rather not support anything that involves the USA military(or veterans), i understand you think your soldiers are heroes but as soon as i read the title i kinda cringed a bit.

Schmeiser:
I'd rather not support anything that involves the USA military(or veterans), i understand you think your soldiers are heroes but as soon as i read the title i kinda cringed a bit.

Same here. Plus, I don't get why there is a charity for something people should be given in the first place. One of the richest countries in the world should already have solved this. This charity shouldn't be necessary.

US Veterans... sorry, but you ain't my veterans.

In a world where games are one of the few truly global media, it seems pretty lame that the charity is focused only on the USA and not Europe or other regions Veterans, all of whom have served just as long and just as hard as the US'.

mjc0961:

What is it about charity that turns so many people into condescending assholes? Yeah Activision could do more. But they're doing something and that means more money to help more veterans. This is a good thing.

Agreed. Yeah, if you want to help the most skip playing CoD, but people shouldn't be screaming at the company for wanting to help someone out. This is specifically targeting those people that were already going to buy the packs and play CoD this weekend anyways. Now they can do that and feel a little smug.

The veterans need all the help they can get, especially since they were going to go protest this weekend in DC but may not be able to because of a stupid trucker 'protest'. Someone wants to help a Vet, I say let'em.

freaper:

Here's a better idea, lets pass a law that allows people that risked their lives to throat punch people that say stupid things.

OT, so, after profits, I'm guessing Endowment will receive a whole $3.50.......

Kalezian:

freaper:

Here's a better idea, lets pass a law that allows people that risked their lives to throat punch people that say stupid things.

OT, so, after profits, I'm guessing Endowment will receive a whole $3.50.......

I'll jump in front of a car because someone tricked me into doing that. Can I have that special privilege too?

I feel as if maybe there is some misplaced product placement on something that probably shouldn't have product placement. It seems exploitative, and it seems like it glorifies and simultaneously is a caricaturization of combat.

TiberiusEsuriens:

mjc0961:

Agreed. Yeah, if you want to help the most skip playing CoD, but people shouldn't be screaming at the company for wanting to help someone out. This is specifically targeting those people that were already going to buy the packs and play CoD this weekend anyways. Now they can do that and feel a little smug.

The veterans need all the help they can get, especially since they were going to go protest this weekend in DC but may not be able to because of a stupid trucker 'protest'. Someone wants to help a Vet, I say let'em.

If I believed helping a vet was their goal I'd feel better about it, but it looks more to me like they're exploiting veterans, commercializing war and war propaganda, and capitalizing on patriotism. I have nothing against good causes, but there's a right way and a wrong way. This looks closer to the wrong way, at least to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here