"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

Christopher Nolan's comic masterpiece makes a clean sweep of the 35th annual People's Choice Awards and picks up another major nomination along the way.

Viewers who tuned into CBS' broadcast of the 35th annual People's Choice Awards watched the caped crusader walk away clean with five trophies for its five nominations in what has become the norm for film ceremonies as of late. Warner Bros' "The Dark Knight" took home awards for favorite film, ensemble, superhero, action movie and on-screen match-up for Christian Bale and the tragically departed Heath Ledger, for their respective performances as Batman and The Joker. Upon receiving the award, Bale thanked the fans for their support and paid respect to his co-star saying, "Here's to Heath."

This isn't the first awards ceremony of the season in which the Batman has managed to clean out the joint with its nominations as its been making short work of critics awards with over 15 sweeps in areas such as San Francisco, Austin and Toronto. Newsarama reports today that Christopher Nolan has received a Directors Guild of America nomination, adding more fuel to its Oscar fire.

While a best picture win for "The Dark Knight" sounded impossible only a few short months ago, its current string of accolades and a weakened pack has greatly improved its odds. With the potential front-runner "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" falling flat with critics and the Mickey Rourke vehicle "The Wrestler" being a one-man show, the best picture nod could come down to a three-way race between "The Dark Knight," "Milk" starring Sean Penn and a dark horse competitor in the form of "Frost/Nixon" or possibly even "Wall-E."

"The Dark Knight" has already done more than enough to prove that movies based on comic books are worth taking seriously, even without an Oscar win. Its most definitely facing an uphill battle and even if the world isn't ready to accept a comic book film as the picture of the year, its nomination as one looks to be a certainty.

Considering how poor this year was for movies, I honestly would not be surprised to see this movie win an Oscar for Best Picture.

Its was a fantastic movie and one of the better films of the year but i'm not entirely sure its Oscar material. I'd bet money that if Heath Ledger was still alive it would not have been considered for one and also the movie would have gotten much less attention.

I guess everybody gets a buzz outta seeing a dead guy on screen in his final performance.

Codgo:
Its was a fantastic movie and one of the better films of the year but i'm not entirely sure its Oscar material. I'd bet money that if Heath Ledger was still alive it would not have been considered for one and also the movie would have gotten much less attention.

I guess everybody gets a buzz outta seeing a dead guy on screen in his final performance.

as much as i hate to admit it....i think its true

Codgo:

It probably wouldn't have been quite as big as it was, but it would have still done incredibly well in the box office. I remember there was talk about how amazing Heath's performance was even before he died.

ffxfriek:

It's not.

thedrop2zer0:
I remember there was talk about how amazing Heath's performance was even before he died.

This, for months prior to the first footage being shown publicly.

I still say Sin City is the best comic book movie ever made. But the academy could never take a movie with trippy visuals seriously...oh wait!(2001: A Space Odyssey!!!)
I would love for a movie that I loved to win best picture for once. Or, should I say, a movie that everyone loves. Not just the guys in the back rooms, deciding what is and isn't art while sipping martini's, smoking cigars and writing essays about how great Citizen Kane is.
As glad as I am that Batman is getting an Oscar nod I'm a bit worried about the future of the film industry. There were virtually no original movies this year! Pretty much anything that did well was based on a comic, book, or short story. Here's all the ones I can think of right now. The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk, The Spirit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Marley and Me, Iron Man. I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.
So what I'm saying is...write an original screenplay!
When is someone going to write the next Matrix?! Huh!

Sorry, Punisher War Zone was the best comic book movie this year.

Codgo:

Yeah, your right. It wasn't "artsy" and "douchey" enough to be up for an Oscar normally. But maybe this year will be one of those rare years when they don't pick a film house turd that made $50 at the box office, and go with a good movie, like they did with Braveheart and LOTR: Return of the King.

You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

I think the movie is good, really good.
It's just a little too over hyped.

I very reluctantly watched Batman Begins and was amazed to find a Batman movie that I liked. Finally a movie based on a mainstream comic book that contains credibility and substance and that lacks all the cheesy nonsense and funky colors of the previous adaptations.

I would never have thought it possible. I would give an Oscar for defying my expectations (in a good way)

Brockyman:
He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

That gay movie? Did you ever take the time to watch it? There was a reason it won so many awards and was nominated for Best Picture: it was actually a very good film.

I couldn't take the gruff Batvoice seriously. It's a muddled and pretty boring movie anyway. Ledger's performance is the definition of over-acting, at times laughable. With all this in mind, it'll probably win the Oscar.

Brockyman:

You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

That's an ignorant thing to say.

The movie was one of the better superhero movies I've seen.

I'm just pissed it didn't unseat Titanic from the "#1 box office grosser of all time" slot.

Ah well, at least it has an Oscar chance. The geeks truly are taking over.

harhol:
I couldn't take the gruff Batvoice seriously. It's a muddled and pretty boring movie anyway. Ledger's performance is the definition of over-acting, at times laughable. With all this in mind, it'll probably win the Oscar.

Bale's Bat voice was the one thing I didn't like about that film. It sounded like he had a blocked nose and sore throat when they shot those scenes. For me Kevin Conroy will always be the voice of Batman.

Sylocat:
I'm just pissed it didn't unseat Titanic from the "#1 box office grosser of all time" slot.

Well there's an obvious reason for that. The Dark Knight didn't feature Kate Winslet's breasts, after all...

I can't believe the amount of press about the Dark Knight, I've seen at least 5 articles on various websites about it just being nominated for an Oscar. It gets such a ridiculous amount of attention and does it really warrant it? I realize that most people felt it was a brilliant film, but it is being treated as if it is the best movie ever made, and does everyone honestly think that it is?

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie. I honestly feel a lot of people just fell into the crowd, believing that it was an outstanding movie just because of his death.

KSarty:
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.

He didn't commit suicide. His death was accidental.

Good, I'd be happy if The Dark Knight wins most oscars, including best movie

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.

Whether it was intentional or not, he killed himself, therefore it is a suicide.

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

Whether it was intentional or not, he killed himself, therefore it is a suicide.

If you accidentally die without the intention of killing yourself, that is not suicide. Sorry.

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

If you accidentally die without the intention of killing yourself, that is not suicide. Sorry.

It is toeing the line, I'll grant you that. I don't consider it any different than someone flying down the highway at 130 mph and slamming into a wall. Technically its an accident, but its really a suicide too.

Regardless, my point had nothing to do with the particulars of his death, just the fact that he died.

The movie was great, but not what I would consider Oscar-worthy. I didn't understand the hype over Ledger's performance either. After the way people talked about it, I was expected the definitive version of the Joker. Instead the Dark Knight version of the Joker was so watered down that he could have easily been just another sociopath wearing bad makeup. Maybe it was the writing, maybe it was Ledger's voice; but it didn't seem like the Joker. Granted, Ledger was better than Caesar Romero but he didn't hold a candle to Jack Nicholson or even Mark Hamill for that matter.

Jared Rea:

ffxfriek:

It's not.

thedrop2zer0:
I remember there was talk about how amazing Heath's performance was even before he died.

This, for months prior to the first footage being shown publicly.

Its debatable at best.

KSarty:
I can't believe the amount of press about the Dark Knight, I've seen at least 5 articles on various websites about it just being nominated for an Oscar. It gets such a ridiculous amount of attention and does it really warrant it? I realize that most people felt it was a brilliant film, but it is being treated as if it is the best movie ever made, and does everyone honestly think that it is?

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie. I honestly feel a lot of people just fell into the crowd, believing that it was an outstanding movie just because of his death.

It's not just about the quality of the movie. The fuss is also because a movie about a comic book superhero is being considered of high enough quality to be Oscar-worthy. It's a paradigm shift. It illustrates that maybe, just maybe, you don't have to have a British accent or be wearing period costume to be considered to have given an excellent and worthwhile performance. That genre movies might be worthy of accolades other than Best Makeup or Visual Effects.

For years, excellent cinematography, acting, writing, and directing has gone ignored by the Academy because it wasn't in the "right" kind of movie. So for Dark Knight to be nominated is encouraging.

All in all The Dark Knight was a great movie, but the thing that really made it win this year is Heath Ledger, so give him the post-hume Oscar.

But as a movie, I'd have to say Iron Man topped The Dark Knight. Because for as good as both movies were, Iron Man had a big theme going on, while the only good parts of The Dark Knight were by the Joker. Might just be me though.

Susan Arendt:

KSarty:

It's not just about the quality of the movie. The fuss is also because a movie about a comic book superhero is being considered of high enough quality to be Oscar-worthy. It's a paradigm shift. It illustrates that maybe, just maybe, you don't have to have a British accent or be wearing period costume to be considered to have given an excellent and worthwhile performance. That genre movies might be worthy of accolades other than Best Makeup or Visual Effects.

For years, excellent cinematography, acting, writing, and directing has gone ignored by the Academy because it wasn't in the "right" kind of movie. So for Dark Knight to be nominated is encouraging.

I can see that, being the first of it's genre to receive the award is larger than just receiving the award itself. I'm guess I'm just irked by how much media attention is focused on the possibility of it getting the award.

Lets just hope that this isn't like LotR where they won like, 20 oscars.

Dark Knight was a great movie, but Heath Ledger plays such a captivating role as the joker that whenever he appears on screen, its a relief. The rest of the film is...good, not great.

Plus, Batmans fucking voice...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

I liked the movie, but I have no idea what the academy are thinking or what they judge by. Actually I've never gotten objective judging of entertainment in general. If it doesn't win a single Oscar then who cares, the movie is still there and it's still as good.

Susan Arendt:

I think The Lord of the Rings films deserve some credit for making this possible.

Keane Ng:

Susan Arendt:

I think The Lord of the Rings films deserve some credit for making this possible.

Agreed. They set a high water mark in virtually every way (Elijah Wood's glassy stare notwithstanding).

Keane Ng:

Silence of the Lambs, really. Slasher flicks are a genre even lower than comic book movies.

And the success of that movie, too, turned on its charismatic villain.

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

It is toeing the line, I'll grant you that. I don't consider it any different than someone flying down the highway at 130 mph and slamming into a wall. Technically its an accident, but its really a suicide too.

Teh catholic church would disagree with you.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here