"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

Pages PREV 1 2

ElArabDeMagnifico:
Lets just hope that this isn't like LotR where they won like, 20 oscars.

no they deserved all the oscars it got, the movies were simply amazing AND actually stuck to the books, for the most part. also due to the fact the director made such great films consider what he made previous to those movies

Keane Ng:
Sorry, Punisher War Zone was the best comic book movie this year.

no the hulk was, they trashed yonge st and left the zanzibar intact :)

as for the topic on hand, yes his performance is good but i don't think Heath deserves an oscar for it. i think it would be more of a pity oscar and not in the way Scorsese's was for The Departed cause frankly Martin got screwed a few times in the past for them. i think cause Heath died and there's a big upcry over it he won't win the oscar. however i think it would be nice for the Dark Knight to win some oscars

I would like to respecfully disagree that the joker was Heath's (god rest his soul) only good role, as I thought he was also very good in A Knight's Tale, and to an extent the buffoon he played in Brothers Grimm. Also, I would think he deserved the award for his performance even if he hadn't tragically passed away, but I will agree that his performance made that movie so awesome.

it was a great movie....Heath Ledger was chilling

TsunamiWombat:
Teh catholic church would disagree with you.

As if that is supposed to change my mind?

Real Gonzo:

Brockyman:

You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

That's an ignorant thing to say.

The movie was one of the better superhero movies I've seen.

Indeed, I agree it should be up for an Oscar. You need to learn the meaning of satire. While I truly don't think any of his other roles were Oscar worthy, the "angsty teen or that gay movie" was clearly meant for comic effect.

I didn't see Brokeback Mt, so I really can't criticize (other then that horrible scene from the trailer "I don't know how to quit you").

Sorry if you took my humor out of context, and mean no disrespect to the deceased or the gay community.

thedrop2zer0:

Brockyman:
He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

That gay movie? Did you ever take the time to watch it? There was a reason it won so many awards and was nominated for Best Picture: it was actually a very good film.

1. Just b/c it "wins awards" doesn't mean its a "very good film" in everyone's point of view. I personally don't like "art house" type movies like this. It's just a personal preference. [i.e. Halo 3 wins game of the year, but you don't like Halo or FPS's in general, so it's "not a good game" in your view]

2. I didn't see it. I was going for satire and humor. The only thing I saw from the film was a horrible clip of him whining "I don't know how to quit you". He may have had an excellent performance in that movie. All I know is that he didn't give an excellent performance the other movies I've seen him in.

He did a GREAT job as the Joker, but I don't think he would be up for these awards if he had lived. However, if he had, and was able to continue, he would have in short order. It is sad.

The Dark Knight was amazing, it has some serious potential. I'll be watching the DVD for years to come.

Brockyman:

You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

But...but..."The Patriot"...:'(

Having recently seen the Dark Knight for the first time, I most definitely think that both the film and Heath Ledger deserve Oscars. And that's not just out of sympathy. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker is absolutely terrifying (anyone who argues otherwise obviously doesn't remember "LOOK AT ME!"}, and the cast and crew were saying so months before his death. With or without the context of tragedy, it's an amazing piece of acting. As for the film itself, it accomplishes beautifully what it set out to achieve. It takes a fundamentally silly concept (a man in a batsuit fighting a clown), and makes it seem plausible, gritty, and downright moving in places. It touches on themes such as the nature of justice, what it means to truly be a hero, whether it is alright to lie in order to preserve the order of things... to my mind, it's just out and out amazing.

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:

thedrop2zer0:

KSarty:
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.

He didn't commit suicide. His death was accidental.

Whether it was intentional or not, he killed himself, therefore it is a suicide.

If you accidentally die without the intention of killing yourself, that is not suicide. Sorry.

It is toeing the line, I'll grant you that. I don't consider it any different than someone flying down the highway at 130 mph and slamming into a wall. Technically its an accident, but its really a suicide too.

Regardless, my point had nothing to do with the particulars of his death, just the fact that he died.

if he hits a wall intentionally, that is suicide. If he "flies down the hightway and hits a wall" he is just a moron, without the intention of killing themselves that goes against the very definition of suicide.

Brockyman:

2. I didn't see it. I was going for satire and humor. The only thing I saw from the film was a horrible clip of him whining "I don't know how to quit you". He may have had an excellent performance in that movie. All I know is that he didn't give an excellent performance the other movies I've seen him in.

Oops my bad then.

Real Gonzo:

Brockyman:

Oops my bad then.

It's cool my friend! No hard feelings

Sylocat:
I'm just pissed it didn't unseat Titanic from the "#1 box office grosser of all time" slot.

Everyone I talk to hates Titanic! It's like I'm the only person out there who genuinely likes that film!

And as for the Dark Knight, it's my pick for movie of the year and I'm always glad to see movies usually designated for nerds get more mainstream recognition.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here