New Pokemon Game Starring Pikachu is in Production

New Pokemon Game Starring Pikachu is in Production

Pikachu

An NHK description of upcoming appearance with the Pokemon Company president hints at a new Pokemon game featuring the electric mouse.

Pikachu is one of the most iconic Pokemon in the franchise. The electric mouse has changed a bit over the years ever since its introduction in Pokemon Red and Blue, and it became the featured starter Pokemon in Pokemon Yellow. Pokemon Company President Tsunekazu Ishihara will appear on NHK Professional: Shigoto no Ryuugi on Oct. 28. NHK's description of Ishihara mentions the development of a new Pikachu-related game.

"This summer, Ishihara started development on a never before seen game," NHK states. "It's a new game featuring the very popular character Pikachu in a bold way. There is concern, however, that if it's bad the long loved character would lose popularity in the blink of an eye."

Pikachu has already been the star of a few games, including Hey You, Pikachu! on the N64. It used the N64's voice recognition unit to allow the player to talk to Pikachu. If another Pikachu game uses voice recognition software, it could be on the 3DS or even on smartphones. Other Pokemon games have also featured the popular electric-type Pokemon without hurting its image. PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure stars Pikachu as the Pokemon set out on adventure. The sequel PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond also stars Pikachu.

Even though Pikachu's popularity likely originally stemmed from its appearance in the animated Pokemon series, the little guy has stayed a strong favorite even in future generations of Pokemon games, so Ishihara likely has little to fear about ruining Pikachu's reputation.

Source: NHK via Gematsu

Could this be a part of that whole "Pokken" trademark thing a few months ago?

I don't know, but I'm excited to see what this could be!

Wish they could spotlight some other Pokemon, is it just me or has Pikachu started to get a bit grating over the years?

Not that I don't like them and I know its the series mascot, but what gets me is that in-game, Pikachu is pretty pathetic stat-wise (so much so that they had to make an item to make it less crap)

But now I am just sounding like a grump and I hardly think Pokemon's mascot will suffer a blow to its long reputation with one bomb (not saying it will be)

roseofbattle:

Pikachu has already been the star of a few games, including Hey You, Pikachu! on the N64. It used the N64's voice recognition unit to allow the player to talk to Pikachu. If another Pikachu game uses voice recognition software, it could be on the 3DS or even on smartphones.

HAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA! BWAAA HAHAHA HAHA HAHA!

Sorry, I know that sounds condescending. But a Pokemon game on smartphones just isnt happening. Not unless its some lightweight companion app to the new Pokemon game, and thats already out this week.

It'll be a 3DS or Wii U game of some sort. My money is on Wii U, simply because Nintendo is transitioning a lot of their teams to the console now. And a Pikachu game would certainly grab some attention for the console.

God I hate Pikachu. I simply do not get the appeal.

Even as a kid I fucking hated him. There are so much more cooler pokemon than that stupid thing, why is he the mascot of the series?

Genocidicles:

Even as a kid I fucking hated him. There are so much more cooler pokemon than that stupid thing, why is he the mascot of the series?

roseofbattle:

Even though Pikachu's popularity likely originally stemmed from its appearance in the animated Pokemon series,...

That's probably the majority of the reason. That was the entire basis behind Pokemon Yellow, after all.

I read somewhere Ash's original partner was meant to be Clefairy. Heh, can you imagine?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

roseofbattle:

Pikachu has already been the star of a few games, including Hey You, Pikachu! on the N64. It used the N64's voice recognition unit to allow the player to talk to Pikachu. If another Pikachu game uses voice recognition software, it could be on the 3DS or even on smartphones.

HAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA! BWAAA HAHAHA HAHA HAHA!

Sorry, I know that sounds condescending. But a Pokemon game on smartphones just isnt happening.

Except for the fact that it already has.

Anyway, neat I suppose. Pikachu hasn't been a favourite of mine for a while, but I'll keep an eye out for it, no matter the platform it turns up on.

yeah never understood Pikachu much, sort of easily forgettable low level pokemon. always wanted them to do more with the couple of really cool looking pokemon, if I recall correctly Pikachu was only in one of the red/blue games, whichever it was I had the other because I don't think I ever had a Pikachu in my team, not even once. he's actually pretty wicked in super smash bros. but that was the first time I actually liked him. the original starters are still the best imo. but I get why they wouldn't base a series or game on any of them. but still some of the more beastly or cool looking pokemon would be much better to run with. for instance arcanine or kingler. machamp always looks so freaking cool I wish they used him more. dugtrio and snorlax were always personal favorites of mine though I can see how it'd be difficult to use either of them in a show. but that's kinda the good thing about pokemon there's so many of them everyone can have their own favorites. seems weird to make a game that would focus only on one.

So Pokepark is going to have another sequel?

Just kidding just kidding!

If it was Pokepark than it wouldn't be worth mentioning as some sort of super secret thing.
The Pokemon spinoffs tend to be pretty interesting concepts.
We have the Ranger series, the Mystery Dungeon series, and the Conquest series. Let's see what they will dish out this time.

Oh lord...here comes another proof why Pikachu is overrated...

CAPTCHA: be serious now

I am! Pikachu's entire line isn't the best Electric type in the game series, but between the anime and all the specialty games it has gotten, it has been HORRIBLY overexposed so a lot of people are thinking it's the shit as a result! Hell, between the main games have had specialty PIKACHUS made for it! Surfing, Flying, Volt Tackling, Surf Tackling...even ASH'S Pikachu have been given as gifts for the game! Now we've got THIS game coming to further overexpose the electric rat!

Game Freak! We know he's your mascot...BUT ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Clearly this is the sequal to the master piece Pokemon Channel or at the very least another spiritual successor to the critically acclaimed Hey You Pikachu.

In all seriousness, I tend to like some of the pokemon spin offs, but saying it stars Pikachu isn't a very big hint at all. Its kinda like saying Mario will be in the newest mario game.
And it will take much more than one bad game (see above) to make Pikachu fade from popularity. The little has stared in a lot of bad games in the past.

Not a fan of pikachu, but Raichu was definitely my favorite pokemon from RBY generation, as a kid.

Still has terrible stats, but it looks so cool!

And unless this new pokemon game involves a large variety of pokemon, I'll give it a pass. But for now, eyes shut, ears open (however that works).

Z of the Na'vi:

Genocidicles:

roseofbattle:

Even though Pikachu's popularity likely originally stemmed from its appearance in the animated Pokemon series,...

That's probably the majority of the reason. That was the entire basis behind Pokemon Yellow, after all.

I read somewhere Ash's original partner was meant to be Clefairy. Heh, can you imagine?

Yeah, I heard the same thing. But then they decided it was a little too girly, so they wanted the most gender neutral Pokemon to appeal to all kids. And thus, Pikachu, a Pokemon that's both powerful (sort of) and that can be cute. And yellow, that's important.

Anyway, I'm intrigued as to what the game will actually be, but the fact that Pikachu stars in it is hardly surprising. Wonder why they're being so mysterious.

For a moment I thought that they were finally making Pokemon LemonYellow. I would've bought a 3DS just for that.

oh good ... cause god knows that little electric rat was SO under exposed, surely this will give it the attention it deserves ....

Well, I loved Mystery Dungeon and Conquest, maybe I'll love this new spin-off just as much, if not more, depending on the mechanics.

"Mah name's Pikachu, and I'm here to kick ass and pika-chu bubblegum. Looks like I pika-chewed all the bubblegum."

*pulls out minigun*

Nobody remembers Pocket Pikachu. It was basically a Pikachu Tamagochi that was significantly better than a Tamagochi. Because it was Pokemon. Ah, I remember how it tricked me into physical excercise by making Pikachu happy if I walked and ran around with it on my waste.

Damn you Nintendo, tricking me into playing sport. You evil, evil masterminds!

Please be Hey You, Pikachu! 2. That game was so much fun when I was younger. I should pull out my old N64 some time and give it another go, see if it stood the test of time for me.

TizzytheTormentor:
Wish they could spotlight some other Pokemon, is it just me or has Pikachu started to get a bit grating over the years?

I have hated the little lightning rat since I first saw it on the t.v show.

Oh please let it be a game that let's you start from pallet town and make your way all the way through all the regions.

Other than its absolutely deplorable stats, the other big reason I don't really care for Pikachu as the series mascot anymore is that he has become less cute. They made him more svelte, sort of like Ash over the years, but Pikachu was much cuter back when he was somewhat chubbier. Also, anime-wise, Pikachu became Ash 2.0 around season 3 and beyond, because if I remember correctly, they said somewhere in the games/anime that Pokemon become more like their trainers over time, so Pikachu became less like a cute animal, and more like a small annoying human, which sucks.

TizzytheTormentor:

Not that I don't like them and I know its the series mascot, but what gets me is that in-game, Pikachu is pretty pathetic stat-wise (so much so that they had to make an item to make it less crap)

At the risk of sounding like a noob, what item?

This shows how serious I take my pokemon playing, I guess.

Pikachu IS very underwhelming, though. It's a good thing I don't play competitive.

Doom972:
For a moment I thought that they were finally making Pokemon LemonYellow. I would've bought a 3DS just for that.

I always preferred Pokémon: Fresca.

Twenty Ninjas:
"Mah name's Pikachu, and I'm here to kick ass and pika-chu bubblegum. Looks like I pika-chewed all the bubblegum."

*pulls out minigun*

Pikachu doesn't learn 'Minigun!' I'm calling hax!

VanQ:
Nobody remembers Pocket Pikachu. It was basically a Pikachu Tamagochi that was significantly better than a Tamagochi. Because it was Pokemon. Ah, I remember how it tricked me into physical excercise by making Pikachu happy if I walked and ran around with it on my waste.

Damn you Nintendo, tricking me into playing sport. You evil, evil masterminds!

At least you did it honest. most people I knew just shook it.

Al-Bundy-da-G:
Oh please let it be a game that let's you start from pallet town and make your way all the way through all the regions.

Oh yeah... and you do all that while playing as the Pikachu off Ash's back... Hope you're really to get so damn powerful that you can still be beaten by a Gen 5 stater...

(Also, I had NO IDEA the amount of "dislike" Pikachu had over the years... Shows what I know about the Pokemon fandom even though I mainly follow the games and the anime more than anything else Pokemon-related...)

OT: If I can talk to a Pikachu once again only in current-handheld/gen quality, then bring it on! (Also, I would like to put an Afro on my Pikachu... because everyone "loves" Afros more than they "dislike" Pikachu... Right?)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Hey You, Pikachu! 3D. But I'm getting a bit sick of him as the mascot. He doesn't even have great stats, and I don't even know what he's up to in the anime, but the last time I checked, he got rocked due to missing an iron tail on a level five Snivy. Shouldn't he be level 100 by now?

Pikachu was interesting to me for about ...yeah the first episode of the Anime. When he was a sass-bag.

After that I guess it's just obvious that with how long Pokemon has been around and how MANY there are, that everyone is going to mostly have a favorite or a handful that aren't the little yellow rat mascot by now, it's not just an icon for a franchise, the adults who are now starting to have young kids have played Pokemon, they at least know the first 150 and have a few memories of their starter or legendaries etc, I guess pikachu does need another 'I AM THE POKEMON FRANCHISE' stamp of approval outside of the anime and being the titular representative in smash bros.

I even had Pokemon Yellow (and still do) and I STILL didn't really take to him there.

Whaaatever, this doesn't interest me still.

I love Pikachu~ and I actually enjoyed Hey you Pikachu, it was cute.

Zachary Amaranth:

TizzytheTormentor:

At the risk of sounding like a noob, what item?

This shows how serious I take my pokemon playing, I guess.

Pikachu IS very underwhelming, though. It's a good thing I don't play competitive.

Light Ball, it is special in that it can double a Pikachu's attack power, pretty much stating "yeah, Pikachu is fucking pathetic, but give him this and he will hit a bit better, won't help if you get the first go" It does have the benefit that if you give it to a female Pikachu/Raichu in the daycare with another compatable Pokemon, the Pichu will learn Volt Tackle, a good but self harming move.

I remember Red in Soul Silver having his level 80-somthing Pikachu that was ended in one hit by my Raichu (under-rated Pokemon btw)

Where the fuck is Pokemon Snap 2?

Seriously, you have the perfect console to do it on now.

Using the tab-remote as the camera using the screen overlay feature.

Drop this pikachu crap and GIVE ME POKEMON SNAP 2 DAMNIT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here