Assassin's Creed IV Wii U Version Won't Get Any DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Assassin's Creed IV Wii U Version Won't Get Any DLC

AC Screen 8

You may want to consider a different platform if you want the full Assassin's Creed experience.

Here's some news that's a bit of a bummer to the Wii U, which reportedly already has trouble attracting third party support: the Wii U version of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag will not receive any of the DLC that every other platform will get. This is sure to make anyone who was considering picking up the game for the platform reconsider - especially if they happen to own another platform such as the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Earlier, Ubisoft outlined details for an Assassin's Creed IV season pass, which includes a new story, exclusive content and a 20 per cent discount over buying each of the DLC packs individually. In the official press release, it mentioned that the season pass would be available for Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, with no mention of the Wii U.

An Ubisoft representative has now confirmed that this is not a mistake, as the season pass will not be available on the Wii U. Gamereactor Germany was informed by the representative that there'd be no DLC at all for the Wii U version of ACIV.

We have similarly reached out to the USA Ubisoft representative for an official comment, but you can pretty much assume it will be the same case here.

Will this affect which platform (if any) you will buy Assassin's Creed IV for?

Source: Game Reactor

Steven Bogos:

Nope, considering I wasn't going to buy it anyways. All this does if confirm by belief that Ubisoft are a bunch of assholes.

Soviet Heavy:

Steven Bogos:

Nope, considering I wasn't going to buy it anyways. All this does if confirm by belief that Ubisoft are a bunch of assholes.

Yea, pretty much. I mean they already developed the game for the Wii U, why would they not release the DLC? It makes no sense to me.

Wait, they are making AC4 for the Wii U? What are they going to use the main controller for, a map? This is all bad news for all 6 of you who bought a Wii U.

That's kinda arbitrary.

Soviet Heavy:

Steven Bogos:

Yeah, considering that Ubisoft always acts like they're Nintendo's biggest supporters, this is kinda douchey of them. And I have absolutely no desire to own another Assassin's Creed. They just keep getting worse and worse.

It seems odd that they would bother releasing it on the WiiU but not include any DLC later down the line. I'm actually a little suprised they are even still bothering with a WiiU version.

I didn't really have any interest in AC4, but somehow, I feel not having DLC makes the Wii U version the best. Mainly cause I'm so sick of DLC right now.

I'd say yes it would change my decision if not for two reasons.

1/ I don't own a Wii U

2/ Just like AC3 I'm not getting AC4. It's that same BS of having to buy 6 copies on 3 platforms to get 1 full game with all the pre-order DLC bits. (numbers not exact for the nit picking apologists)

Well, I don't think I'll pick up that AC3 DLC I've been meaning to on my Wii U. I mean, it looked fun, but I think I'll avoid Ubisoft DLC from now on. Might pick up Black Flag if it goes on sale sometime or wait for the price to drop naturally, as I'm just not that enthused about it anymore.

To be honest, this sounds like a benefit for the Wii U version, not a detriment.

First, haven't finished AssCreed3 for the WiiU because I got bored of it partway through and went on to playing more fun games. Second, I probably wouldn't have bought this or DLC for it anyway because while I find AssCreed interesting, it isn't something I enjoy enough to spend that much on it. Especially considering they're already talking about DLC before the game is even out, which has always come off as odd to me anyway, but that's besides the point.
Third, given this and their delays of Rayman Legends, it's clear that all that talk of supporting the WiiU was half-assed/half-hearted. Sure, they're supporting the WiiU, but only in the most minimalist way possible to avoid any outright accusation that they're going back on their promise to support it at all. Anymore, I don't care. Aside from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Trials Evolution, I don't give a shit about most anything Ubisoft puts out. Really, Ubi, if you aren't going to give the WiiU equal treatment, just stop pretending you give a shit because this facade of stupidity is getting old. At least EA was up front about not supporting it, even if I'm suspicious the reasons they publicized aren't the whole story.

Already getting it on PS4, so this personally doesn't effect me. But I will admit it sucks for those who like AC4 and are on WiiU.

Random question, did Blops 2 get DLC on WiiU?

Korten12:

Random question, did Blops 2 get DLC on WiiU?

Nope, no Black Ops 2 DLC was released for the Wii U to my knowledge.

OT: Well this kinda sucks. I own a Wii U, but I wasn't gonna be getting this game. However it does suck for those who were planning on getting the game for the Wii U.

SilverUchiha:
First, haven't finished AssCreed3 for the WiiU because I got bored of it partway through and went on to playing more fun games. Second, I probably wouldn't have bought this or DLC for it anyway because while I find AssCreed interesting, it isn't something I enjoy enough to spend that much on it. Especially considering they're already talking about DLC before the game is even out, which has always come off as odd to me anyway, but that's besides the point.
Third, given this and their delays of Rayman Legends, it's clear that all that talk of supporting the WiiU was half-assed/half-hearted. Sure, they're supporting the WiiU, but only in the most minimalist way possible to avoid any outright accusation that they're going back on their promise to support it at all. Anymore, I don't care. Aside from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Trials Evolution, I don't give a shit about most anything Ubisoft puts out. Really, Ubi, if you aren't going to give the WiiU equal treatment, just stop pretending you give a shit because this facade of stupidity is getting old. At least EA was up front about not supporting it, even if I'm suspicious the reasons they publicized aren't the whole story.

Seems about right. I mean, they made such a fuss over supporting the Wii U when it launched, then delayed Rayman even though it was already complete... (to make it a multi-platform game, which it wasn't originally going to be).

Why even pretend? What are they even doing? We know about half of the Wii's launch titles were made by Ubisoft, and the Wii U looked pretty similar, but if they're going to do things like this at the first sign of trouble, then why do they expend so much effort to make it sound like they still support Nintendo platforms.

Ubisoft is the most consistent 3rd party supporter of Nintendo systems, yet they pull stunts like this that suggest they don't actually want to do it.

What twisted mentality makes them put so much effort into making it look like they want to support Nintendo platforms when their actions clearly seem to show otherwise...

Weirdos...

Why even bother making a Wii U port if your just going to shaft those same people by not giving them the full options and benefits of the other systems?

It's almost like your punishing them for choosing to buy the Wii U game.

Which is a shame because I saw a lot of comments on Kotaku and gamefaqs stating that they are now going to skip this game for the Wii U because of it.

Dragonbums:

It's almost like your punishing them for choosing to buy the Wii U game.

And honestly, haven't they been punished enough?

I kid, I kid. This is one of those baffling deals, though.

I know it's hard to believe, guys, but I bet that this wasn't done just so they could be "jerks". I mean, from a business standpoint, why would they deny themselves profits from a whole area of players? They wouldn't do it willingly I assure you. No, I bet something much larger is at play here. Mayne Nintendo doesn't play nice with publishers anymore? Maybe the Wii U is limited in how well it can deliver DLC? It could a hundred things, but it certainly isn't because they want to be "jerks".

Zachary Amaranth:

And honestly, haven't they been punished enough?

Nope.

As further punishment in their next Ass Creed port all loading screens will be changed to Ezio wet dream fantasy pictures from Deviant Art's most popular section of Assasin's Creed tag. (and believe me when I say it's some creepy ass shit.)

captcha: Gone fishing.

Yarr harr good one.

Dragonbums:

Which is a shame because I saw a lot of comments on Kotaku and gamefaqs stating that they are now going to skip this game for the Wii U because of it.

And because of that I swear to god, if Ubisoft start complaining about AC4 not reaching projected sales targets on the WiiU I will personally go to their head office just to slap Yves Guillermot across the face...

I'm not sure it's all that baffling, myself.

I think Ubisoft is just finally realizing that the Wii U isn't selling very well, so they're starting to hedge their bets on the Sony and MS consoles instead.

They probably figure it's not worth developing the DLC for the Wii U if it's not going to sell well anyways.

Granted, that begs the question of why they're still bothering with a Wii U version at all, but I imagine the answer to that is "because they already spent development time and money on it, and they refuse to take the financial hit they'd take from just canceling the Wii U version".

That's my bet, anyways.

Eh, better than having the 360/PS3 versions and having grayed out shit everywhere because YOU DON'T HAVE THE REQUIRED DLC FOR THIS MISSION.

On a more serious note....nah, I got nothing.

KevinHe92:
Eh, better than having the 360/PS3 versions and having grayed out shit everywhere because YOU DON'T HAVE THE REQUIRED DLC FOR THIS MISSION.

On a more serious note....nah, I got nothing.

Wait...so wouldn't that mean they cut out game content from the base game to share as piecemeal DLC?

Hey, On the plus side, Wii U owners won't have Day one DLC to complain about!
But seriously, between making rayman multiplatform and this, I think Ubisoft has a bone to pick with nintendo

Damn the U is just getting crapped on everywhere it goes. That's a bummer though for people who would actually buy this game AND own a U. All of the latest videos I've seen on this game just don't really entice me to buy it anyways. Looks nice but everything looks so damn easy to accomplish.

Kill a leopard? Simple, I'll 1 hit kill it with zero battle!
Kill a crocodile? No problem I'll wrestle the shit out of the water like it doesn't weigh hundreds of pounds!
Kill a shark? No problem, I throw harpoons like a speedy crackhead!

Surprised that guy didn't just drag the fucking shark out of the depths of the ocean with his hands. Game looks like it was made for the dunce honestly, it's going to play itself.

Nope, this won't affect my decision to purchase AC4 at all.. because I wasn't going to.

What it *will* do, however, is weigh heavily on any future decisions about whether purchasing a game by Ubisoft.

Dragonbums:

As further punishment in their next Ass Creed port all loading screens will be changed to Ezio wet dream fantasy pictures from Deviant Art's most popular section of Assasin's Creed tag. (and believe me when I say it's some creepy ass shit.)

I was going to ask how bad it could be, but it's DeviantArt, so I'm afraid of the answer.

Dragonbums:

Wait...so wouldn't that mean they cut out game content from the base game to share as piecemeal DLC?

Isn't that what they did with 2?

EyeReaper:

But seriously, between making rayman multiplatform and this, I think Ubisoft has a bone to pick with nintendo

It seems like that's going to be a theme this generation.

Unless they thought that the Wii U's version would sell that badly there is no reason to exclude Wii U owners from the DLC.

Black Ops II didn't get Wii U DLC either, though I think that just might be because Nintendo decided to ban Black Ops 1 DLC from coming to the Wii.

thisbymaster:
Wait, they are making AC4 for the Wii U? What are they going to use the main controller for, a map?

That's one of the things they used the screen for in AssassinsCreed3
Then there were some options and macros and stuff you could put there, nothing major, stuff you could just quickly do with one click with either thumb.
It is a controller after all, it has the buttons and joysticks as any other controller.

Still not sure if I'm getting the game anyway, maybe sometime later when it gets a price drop, still enjoyed playing the last one.

Ponyholder:

Soviet Heavy:

Steven Bogos:

Yea, pretty much. I mean they already developed the game for the Wii U, why would they not release the DLC? It makes no sense to me.

at this point they're already at the part of the relationship where ubisoft leaves a box full of wii u dev kits burning on nintendo's lawn

frankly i can't imagine what sort of abusive relationship is going on here

As someone who WAS planning on buying this for the WiiU, I'll wait to see just what exactly they've chosen to strip out before deciding if I still want to buy it. I rarely buy DLC anyway unless it's actually decent in size and quality so this isn't necessarily a deal breaker, as long as the game itself is good.

Ponyholder:

Soviet Heavy:

Steven Bogos:

Er, because they don't find it commercially viable? Just a thought.

EDIT: To clarify, not many people own a Wii U. Is it viable to program the extra DLC is hardly anyone will likely download it?

There has to be a financial reason for this. Either nintend not playing nice with its DLC policy (thats my bet) or sales are so poor for 3rd party that its not worth the investment.

Soviet Heavy:

Steven Bogos:

Theyre assholes for making a financial decision? Thats what companies do. They've supported the WiiU, do you really expect them to throw money away if its not working? If Ubi felt they would make money from the DLC you can bet the house on them releasing it. Nintendo owners (I dont know if thats you but there are plenty of posters who fit the bill) get so defensive. The problem is more likely to be with nintend than Ubi.

So its either just ubisoft being lazy (quite likely) nintendo has drastically different dlc rules then the others (possible considerign they are basically new to this internet thing on consoles) or the wiiu shop is not making any kind of money to even bother.

I dunno who's to blame but I could see ubisoft, nintendo or both being really retard about this dlc.

Zachary Amaranth:

Isn't that what they did with 2?

Forgive me, but isn't that what they did with [insert AAA video game released in the past three years]?

Dragonbums:

Wouldn't be the first time.AC2 had 2 chapters cut from the game and sold later as DLC

OT:One one hand this is bad for Wii U owners(of which I am one now although I probably would have got this on 360 anyway seeing as I played all the others there)

One the other hand it's not as bad as what Warner Bros are doing with Arkham Origins

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here