Foxconn Reportedly Making PS4s With Forced Student Labor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I have to be honest... it sounds like a internship to me. In most internships, students are made to do things that amount to menial labor and have no bearing on their actual degree. Also, I abhor the language used here. Sounds to me like they chose to go and chose to stay there for their credits. Forced usually means held against their will in some capacity. No one is holding a gun against their heads. And it's not child labor. They are not children, they are adults in college programs. And yes, this is the plant where they installed the suicide nets, because it's clearly the most abominable company on the planet.... oh wait with a suicide rate of about 20-22 per 100k, that actually puts them far below the national average. But that aside!

No one is saying these guys aren't a bunch of dicks. I'm sure they are. But they run a massive company that employs a lot of people. They are simply doing internships the way most internships are done. I know some yahoo is going to respond to this and go, "no... noo, you know how I know.... I did an internship that actually let me work in the field tha.. that I'm studying". I'm not afraid to say, you are not the rule, you are exception. I see internships at my company all the time. All they do is clean build rooms and organize chords. They are only there for the credits, they are very hard working and the minimal they have to do in order to get their credits makes them happy. No intern is going to go and work on actual IT infrastructure, that would be the stupidest thing as most companies can't afford to have their infrastructure taken down by the intern that is going to be there that week or that month. I just can't stand the witch hunts articles about this company spawns on sites like... well like any of these. The evidence suggests that it's not actually that bad of a place to work. And this isn't changed by the fact that they are putting interns to work doing menial tasks for credits. That is done everywhere.

But, everyone can have their fun and say how horrible this place is... then go buy their Xbox One, their PS4, their latest iCrap and feel good knowing they were sticking it to this company on the internet where literally no one cares how they reason out or justify what they say.

Wow, I thought exploitative labour couldn't get any cheaper. Kudos China! I would be interested to know just how many big companies have their products made there, I expect it will be a long list of well known names.

Steven Bogos:
Just for reference, 10% of Microsoft's Xbox One components are also assembled at the Foxconn plant.

10% of everything electronic is assembled at a Foxconn plant. Oh, look at this nice Intel motherboard. Cables and several of the board components have the Foxconn logo. Oh, look at this nice sleek Apple gizmo. Same.

Oh, look at this Foxconn motherboard. Bargain basement quality, but at least it's being honest.

Simalacrum:
However, no other company who uses Foxconn have actually tried to make the situation any better. While other companies sat back and did jack shit when the controversies started rolling in and let Apple take all the blame, Apple actually went out and hired inspectors and tightened up regulation. Since then situations in Foxconn factories have reportedly improved, though of course not yet at decent standards.

Well, nobody else can risk the prices of manufacturing at Foxconn to go up :)

I mean, if I buy a shitty piece of electronics from ebay for $2 including shipping, I can imagine the workers who built the thing probably don't make a very good living with that. But if someone buys a $500 gadget, be it a phone or a console, the situation becomes jarring. That's why we hear about these incidents only when some big-name company is involved, like Apple or Sony. These names only make up for a fraction of Foxconn's production. Its a massive company and you can bet its products are in the majority of electronics you have - but most are just some $5 components inside of other stuff.

Not to mention there is a thousand of similar manufacturing plants in China alone, many surely with even worse conditions.

It's bad. On one hand, companies can save up to 80% of costs to manufacture in Chine instead of the 1st world. On other hand, it really shouldn't be THAT bad.

Baresark:
I have to be honest... it sounds like a internship to me. In most internships, students are made to do things that amount to menial labor and have no bearing on their actual degree.

That was my reaction to it too. Heck, a ton of internships here in the US are unpaid too. Though over here we're assigned to Xerox machines and coffee makers, not PS4 assembly lines. From my time in China, I was told that China actually has a business culture that involves lots of unpaid interns that sit around and do nothing, just for a resume line, a rec letter, and ofc networking. Of course this is different, but it's just to reinforce that unpaid interns are nothing new.

Dickish stuff that they're using them for factory labor, but not nearly as dickish as some of the other stuff that goes on in China.

Though to your point about a company never allowing interns to get involved with IT infrastructure, at the last company I interned in, the IT interns did work directly with the infrastructure. One of them wrote a program that uses SQL to add/update/pull accounting entries, I think. Depends on where you work, I guess.

Casual Shinji:
Is there any electric device that isn't made by forced Chinese labor though?

At this point it would probably be a shorter list to list off all the things, period, that aren't.

I mean, even goddamn Acer. They're based in Taiwan -- Taiwan, aka the Republic of China, aka the island the real Chinese government fled to when Mao took over and who should have more reason than anyone else in the entire world to refuse to do business with the PRC, and which ironically was also a popular part of the world to outsource to -- and their computers are still made in China. Fuck this shit; I'm gonna go join a commune or something.

Well... I'd say that's the problem of the Chinese people and their government. If I can wear clothes without giving a shit where they came from I can sleep well without thinking of Chinese students working at an internship and not getting paid.
Not gonna buy any console though >.

Edit: I'd think about it this way however, do you want a console which is manufactured by unpaid laborers not giving a shit whether they do it right?
If I was at that line I'd screw up just to mess with them.

Of course it's alright if Sony uses forced student labor to make their consoles. I bet if Microsoft did this, they'd be crucified.

Griffolion:

Nets, counsellors, and exorcists. Not even joking. Exorcists.

I'm somewhere between baffled and amused when stories like this (often originating from India, where you can be sued for selling a haunted house) pop up to seemingly perplex people, yet they accept prayer circles for sick people, or conservative politicians raving about the 'devil's influence' without batting an eye.

Let's spread the bemused and appalled reactions evenly. No one belief system is any more valid than another. And attempting to quantify such results in ethocentric bias at, best, and rabbit-hole thinking at worst.

As much as this sucks,I think most of the blame can fall on China on this one. While we are partly responsible for supporting these practices by buying their products, ultimately its China's policies that allow for this to happen. Hell, even in America we have a similar but less horrible situation where people intern at places for long hours without getting paid doing menial work. The only difference is that we can quit any time without it having a huge impact on our educational goals. I would say boycott Foxconn products, but then you'd have to just abandon all forms of electronics. Its another one of those things all we can do is shake our heads at.

As much as I want to say that this absolutely deplorable, basically most of our consumer goods come from ****ty labor practices like this.

Petromir:

MrHide-Patten:
Reading the headline I pictured 10 year olds, not "kids" majoring in finance. Click bait much, I just assume that any piece of technology is glued together with childs tears.

I would however be lying if I said I cared for the plights of people slightly younger than I am being stiffed at an internship. It's not like they're shackled to the workstations.

So being forced to do unpaid work of no relevance to their degree mearly to complete their degrees is fine because they aren't children.

I'd figure they'd have developed some form of independent thought (at that age) enough to say 'fuck this shit' and leave and if they're too spineless and/or stupid to do otherwise then they get whats coming to them. Economical Darwinism.

Its Foxconn. they have been doing this and were called on this at least 3 times in the past. its really nothing new about FoxConn, whats interesting is why some companeis risk a PR disaster by using them.

Terramax:

I don't even think it went that far. More like 'we knew it was happening, but now we have to pretend we care until it falls out of the spotlight, and then it's business as usual.'

Well, that worked for apple when their iphones were manufacted at FoxConn by forced student labor.

MrHide-Patten:

I'd figure they'd have developed some form of independent thought (at that age) enough to say 'fuck this shit' and leave and if they're too spineless and/or stupid to do otherwise then they get whats coming to them. Economical Darwinism.

You have to realized that in China if they said "fuck this shit" They have just condemned themselves to ENTIRE LIFE of hard labour if they want to ever get paid anything. they woudl be thrown out of their studies and noone woudl ever allow them in again. its a loss situation either way. so they chose to do hard labour for couple years vs hard labour thier entire life.

Arnoxthe1:
Of course it's alright if Sony uses forced student labor to make their consoles. I bet if Microsoft did this, they'd be crucified.

If you read the article to the end you would have known that Xbox components are also assembled at FoxConn.

Casual Shinji:
Is there any electric device that isn't made by forced Chinese labor though?

They have entire polluted wastelands over there where people recycle cell phones and laptops and whatnot. To the detriment of their own health.

It's the uncomfortable truth behind practically all our entertainment. But what can we do about it?

Robotic workforce, that's what. However, that would also put the factory workers out of their jobs, as meager paying as it is.

Jesus tap-dancing christ, i thought that horrible factory was shutdown already. It's bad enough the labor laws over in china get exploited as shit, but when the same factory that almost had its workforce commit mass suicide it needs to be burnt to the ground.

Don't worry everyone, we live in a capitalist society (most likely). As long as we get out entertainment cheap, fast, and it drowns out our long hospitalized good conscious, we are happy.
As long as we get our entertainment console, we are happy, Sony's investors are happy, and we get a great working society because CAPITALISM HO!

And you know you love it.

Doom972:
Unfortunately, this is how all mass produced electronics are made. People will continue to ignore it since otherwise it would cost too much.

Lol no. The consumer isn't seeing cost-savings from this. All the savings from exploitation go directly to the manufacturer and shareholders.

This is what happens when greed is God. The sooner we evolve past capitalism, the better.

I can't always source goods ethically. But now I know that they're using FOXCONN, I can't ignore it. I am not buying a next-gen console produced by wage-slavery. Will go second-hand.

Steven Bogos:
The program lures students in by posing as an "internship" that offers them credits towards their degree, but upon arriving at the factory, the students are often assigned tasks that have no bearing whatsoever on their field of study.

Does it not offer them credits towards their degree? I'm not sure that "no bearing whatsoever on their field of study" impacts whether or not they get credits. The article has also since been updated to clarify that they may be getting paid for the work but the reporter isn't sure about the specifics.

A potentially "paid internship" that actually rewards the individual with degree credits is already better than several of the unpaid internships we have here in America where the only benefit is saying the word "internship" on your resume.

Is this requirement of the college not advertised? The article seems to say that it's part of the work and is publicized. That'd be like me complaining that my school required me to take x-number of credit hours so I'm effectively being "forced" to take that number of classes.

I will say that every electronic device we have all have at least a few components that were made in countries with incredibly questionable labor practices (aka, actual slavery). Pretty much every smart phone, every tablet, etc.

For example: http://www.free2work.org/2012/05/02/mapping-a-supply-chain-consumer-electronics/

The article for this thread sounds like just an internship that people sign up for. It's funny that the XBO is a small side comment at the bottom. "Oh, by the way, XBO's are also partly manufactured here too but we just put ps4 in the title because..."

"Update 10/10: I've removed a reference to the students not being paid, as it's not entirely clear how they are compensated. I've also added some information about Foxconn offering per-student kickbacks to schools in previous cases like this."

Hmm, they can't even say that they aren't paid.

Arawn:
An odd tale to be sure. Not quite sure where I sit on the issue. People bring up child labor; which is bad/wrong, but what about adults (young adults mind you) being put to work. True it's something they're not being paid for so yeah it's rather mean thing to do.

Are people really so immoral that stolen labor is "debateable"?

hickwarrior:
So, how do I know what electronics are manufactured at foxconn then?

YOu would have to avoid electronic equipment made by,
Acer, Dell, Motorola, Toshiba, Nintendo, Google, Vizio, Apple, HP, Nokia, Cisco, Microsoft, Sony, Amazon.

building a computer would not be that hard but I think you would be hard pressed to find a phone

Well, that... sucks. I won't be getting a PS4 (I still can't decide whether ot not I liked the Vita) but this is a tragedy. And it should be looked into. But other than that, what's there to say? Nothing. Other than it should be stopped, or the students should be paid a decent wage to compensate.

Lightknight:
The article for this thread sounds like just an internship that people sign up for. It's funny that the XBO is a small side comment at the bottom. "Oh, by the way, XBO's are also partly manufactured here too but we just put ps4 in the title because..."

"Update 10/10: I've removed a reference to the students not being paid, as it's not entirely clear how they are compensated. I've also added some information about Foxconn offering per-student kickbacks to schools in previous cases like this."

As its Foxconn I would guess the students get room and board at least, Foxconn factories have on site accommodation and kitchens for staff. Its only barracks and mess halls though, similar to something you see in the military.

This isn't capitalism's fault, this is corruption's fault. Something like this would happen whether the world was communist or capitalist. In both capitalism and communism it is illegal to tell someone one thing about their contract, and then disobey it the next day. The problem is no one feels like enforcing the law in China. Too many people are bought off, something that happens, again, in both Capitalism and Communism.

Arnoxthe1:

Microsoft does do this.

This isn't a new story; Foxconn's been doing this for at least a couple of years. Microsoft is one of the big companies, and the Xbox 360 has been named specifically before. The article even mentions they produce ten percent of the Xbones. Where's the crucifixion?

Look, I'm not saying this is an okay practice. Part of what makes it so hard to fight is at this point is is borderline universal. But that's the thing. The responses are underwhelming because it's such a common practice. Foxconn is bloody megalithic. They're the sort of stuff you see cropping up in sci-fi dystopias.

Pink Apocalypse:

I'm somewhere between baffled and amused when stories like this (often originating from India, where you can be sued for selling a haunted house) pop up to seemingly perplex people, yet they accept prayer circles for sick people, or conservative politicians raving about the 'devil's influence' without batting an eye.

Just to point out, in many (possibly most) states in the US, it's illegal to not inform someone that a house is haunted. So yeah, we really shouldn't feel superior to Indians or Chinese people who hire exorcists.

But hey, the poster you're quoting is British. Maybe they really are that much more sophisticated. Though I doubt it.

PsychoticHamster:
As much as this sucks,I think most of the blame can fall on China on this one. While we are partly responsible for supporting these practices by buying their products, ultimately its China's policies that allow for this to happen. Hell, even in America we have a similar but less horrible situation where people intern at places for long hours without getting paid doing menial work. The only difference is that we can quit any time without it having a huge impact on our educational goals. I would say boycott Foxconn products, but then you'd have to just abandon all forms of electronics. Its another one of those things all we can do is shake our heads at.

We must be doing something different, as our suicide rates are much lower.

Also, I think we can take more than just a little bit of the blame if we're cultivating a niche for Chinese labour.

Strazdas:
Its Foxconn. they have been doing this and were called on this at least 3 times in the past. its really nothing new about FoxConn, whats interesting is why some companeis risk a PR disaster by using them.

The "everybody's doing it" argument seems to work. Not to mention it really hasn't hurt companies exposed in the past. We still have self-entitled, self-righteous hippies complaining about it, then they go back to playing Fruit ninja on their iPads.

schrodinger:
Jesus tap-dancing christ, i thought that horrible factory was shutdown already.

One factory was briefly halted, IIRC, but you have to keep in mind this is not just a single factory. It isn't even isolated to one country. They have plants in most of Asia (including India) and even in South America.

Which does lead to the question: how do you battle that?

MammothBlade:

I can't always source goods ethically. But now I know that they're using FOXCONN, I can't ignore it. I am not buying a next-gen console produced by wage-slavery. Will go second-hand.

You're going to have to do more than just ditch consoles, then.

Zachary Amaranth:
You're going to have to do more than just ditch consoles, then.

I know, it's not practical to live a comfortable life whilst refusing to buy anything made from slave labour. But, consoles are a purely luxury good and one can do without them. So, it wouldn't hurt to avoid purchasing one brand-new on ethical grounds.

Living in China at the moment, been working here for three years. This news is FAR from surprising. Please allow me,if you may, to add to it with some context:

- The primary reason why students go to Foxconn is because their school's principal is making money. The school leader has a deal with Foxconn: I provide you with free labor and you give me a few thousand rmbs per month. Using people this way, especially students, is NOT rare at all here and is almost expected. My employer is sometimes doing this to my Chinese coworkers and tried to do it to me a couple times, but in the end I can leave with no repercussion while they can't.

- The reason why the students there are complaining are not so much the long hours, but that the work is absolutely UNRELATED to their field of study. Imagine being an engineer and having to insert instruction manuals in plastic sleeves 11 hours a day or more with a 30 minutes break a day and having to do that for months. You may argue that this experience will be valuable to you in some way for future jobs and look alright on a resume, but trust me when I say that it does not. It won't even open you a door for a better position at Foxconn later in your career: you'll be replaced by the next batch of free labor.

- Why don't they leave? For sure, some must have left. Keep in mind though that the school leader would be losing face and money each time a student leaves so he has to punish them. To do so, they withhold their diplomas indefinitely and refuse to allow the students to graduate. Change university? This is China: you can't. If you were in position to change university to begin with, your parents would have bribed the school leader already so you don't have to work at the factory. There is also always the very real possibility that the school leader has friends in the police dept or knows thugs and they can come to your place to kick your ass and claim YOU assaulted THEM. China is a unfair country and every relationship here is a double-edge sword hanging over your head and nothing is ever safe or secure. The though of going against a single school leader is enough to make most students shit their pants at night.

- Another reason why they don't leave is that from early childhood they are told their reason for living is to make money, especially for their parents. Your value as a person is proportionally related to how much wealth you have or can project to have. This also extends to the rights you will have in society. Retirement plans here are a joke so parents depend on their children for income later in life. Imagine telling your parents that you failed to accomplish your only goal in life - getting a degree to secure money for them when they get old - because you felt abused by your working conditions at Foxconn. After three years here I learned that the most valuable thing to 99.9999% of the Chinese population is money - above ALL else. This is true for the school leader, the Foxconn manager, but also for the students' parents who probabaly told them to stfu already and get back to work, grab that degree and earn money asap!

EDIT: I also want to clarify the article: Students are not LURED with the promise of credits. THEY ARE TOLD TO GO ELSE THEY DON'T GET THEIR CREDITS ANYWAY.

Zachary Amaranth:

Strazdas:

The "everybody's doing it" argument seems to work. Not to mention it really hasn't hurt companies exposed in the past. We still have self-entitled, self-righteous hippies complaining about it, then they go back to playing Fruit ninja on their iPads.

Yeah, i guess im overestimating actual PR impact this has. after all pepoepl tend ot think that its china, far away, so doesnt matter.

direkiller:

hickwarrior:
So, how do I know what electronics are manufactured at foxconn then?

YOu would have to avoid electronic equipment made by,
Acer, Dell, Motorola, Toshiba, Nintendo, Google, Vizio, Apple, HP, Nokia, Cisco, Microsoft, Sony, Amazon.

building a computer would not be that hard but I think you would be hard pressed to find a phone

Well i already avoid motorola, nintendo, apple, hp, nokia and where i can microsoft. amazon is non-existant here and vizio is a brand of glasses (i guess thats wrong). To be honest i cna always go back to my still fully functional siemens phone if it comes to that, but currently i dio use a huawei, which i guess falls under google. as for the rest of electronics its siemens, electrlux and LG here, so ive been doing fine avoiding them.
also you can always go for a samsung phone, its not as good granted but its not slave labour. Or HTCs, or are they also manufactured there?

J Tyran:

Lightknight:

As its Foxconn I would guess the students get room and board at least, Foxconn factories have on site accommodation and kitchens for staff. Its only barracks and mess halls though, similar to something you see in the military.

Ah, wow. I'd have liked that opportunity in college.

Zachary Amaranth:

Arnoxthe1:

Microsoft does do this.

This isn't a new story; Foxconn's been doing this for at least a couple of years. Microsoft is one of the big companies, and the Xbox 360 has been named specifically before. The article even mentions they produce ten percent of the Xbones. Where's the crucifixion?

Look, I'm not saying this is an okay practice. Part of what makes it so hard to fight is at this point is is borderline universal. But that's the thing. The responses are underwhelming because it's such a common practice. Foxconn is bloody megalithic. They're the sort of stuff you see cropping up in sci-fi dystopias.

Not only does Microsoft do this, but 10% of the XBO is being made IN THE SAME FACTORY.

For some reason, the original article just said PS4. Not sure why it didn't mention both.

Sigh, well... we all pay a heavy price for our entertainment. Just think the next time you praise Sony for it being "better" than Microsoft, their hands are just as dirty in how they manufacture things.
And the "everybody does it" attitude doesn't make it right, just means that no company deserves to get a free pass, and no company is better than the other.
Deplorable conditions, deplorable practices, but hey we get cheaper consoles because of it, right?

Why the fuck are we paying hundreds of dollars for these things, which amount to basically tons of plastic and soldering, when the workers aren't even paid to assemble them? What the fuck?

This is bullshit. I'm not mad about the price, but about all the technology staring at me in the face on my desk right now.

Feel sick.

Also, reading comments like "I could care less where my stuff comes from" makes me just as fucking sick. You SHOULD care, you SHOULD be upset. You fucking would be if you were born in that country/doing work for free. But you aren't. You get to sit in your fucking luxury car holding down a pedal with your foot while it propels you at in-human speeds down a conveniently carved out road for you to your job every day, and you get over paid for goofing off. FUCK!

What a bunch of bullshit. We have it so damn easy and none of us appreciate it. I earn minimum wage and have to bike it to my job, dodging idiot drivers and I thought I had it rough, at least I'm paid to do my job.

Well said Michael. A lot of people don't know how easy they got it. I got it easy in China (relatively speaking) and even then it is difficult compared to my life in Canada.

MammothBlade:

I know, it's not practical to live a comfortable life whilst refusing to buy anything made from slave labour. But, consoles are a purely luxury good and one can do without them. So, it wouldn't hurt to avoid purchasing one brand-new on ethical grounds.

The thing is, so are most of your other luxuries. Have a TV? Monitor? Computer? Smartphone?

Strazdas:

Yeah, i guess im overestimating actual PR impact this has. after all pepoepl tend ot think that its china, far away, so doesnt matter.

It might matter if one could successfully ween one's self from their tech. But unless one plans on going Amish, one will probably buy some Foxconn supported materials.

also you can always go for a samsung phone, its not as good granted but its not slave labour. Or HTCs, or are they also manufactured there?

Samsung's been under fire for labour practices in China too, and mentioned in the same breath as Foxconn. I wouldn't count on them to keep your conscience clean.

Financial reports from 2012 list HTC as a Foxconn client, too.

amaranth_dru:
Sigh, well... we all pay a heavy price for our entertainment. Just think the next time you praise Sony for it being "better" than Microsoft, their hands are just as dirty in how they manufacture things.
And the "everybody does it" attitude doesn't make it right, just means that no company deserves to get a free pass, and no company is better than the other.
Deplorable conditions, deplorable practices, but hey we get cheaper consoles because of it, right?

Are these known to be bad working conditions? I didn't see anything regarding that.

If you really want to be a considerate employee who doesn't purchase anything that has touched questionable hiring practices, you will have to find yourself doing without. Most electronics have components made with actual slave labor. Today, in the year 2013, you likely have a phone in your pocket with some components or materials acquired via a person who is a bona fide slave. The computer you're using to enter or read this post? Also likely has at least some components made that way.

Do you like Chocolate? How about hersey brand chocolate? Child Slavery (though they promise to end child slavery in their product line by 2020... assholes)

Like Victoria's Secret? Their "fair trade" cotton is planted and harvested by children slaves in Africa.

That same link shows Microsoft as a huge user of Chinese factories that actually employ slave and child labor. The company Microsoft uses most is KYE which has over 1,000 workers with many 15 years and younger "employees". They work 15 hours per day , no AC. Nokia and Apple both use these kinds of factories as well and those are just the big names that have "admitted" to it.

Forever 21, Aeropostale, Toys 'R' Us, Urban Outfitters (also listed in the Victoria Secret link) also use child slavery. Does anyone else think it ridiculous that Toys 'R' Us has child slaves making clothes for children in our country?

Odds are that you have several items on or closely around you that were made partially at the expense of actual slaves.

This work study crap at Foxconn isn't all rosey. But it isn't slavery, does give them room and board while at college, may actually pay them but that's unclear, and lets them leave at will. It is a known and publicized component of the college and it looks like the biggest complaint is that the work may not be related to their degree at all. I have known American colleges that have required unpaid internships as part of the coursework and those still exist. So it's easy to complain about this example but it's not slavery or "forced" labor. They can leave at any time and were aware of this condition for graduating. It's like saying that I was "forced" to complete two semesters of a foreign language and that's evil because I couldn't not do it and still graduate. Despite it not being particularly relevant to my area of study.

Zachary Amaranth:

The thing is, so are most of your other luxuries. Have a TV? Monitor? Computer? Smartphone?

Strazdas:

It might matter if one could successfully ween one's self from their tech. But unless one plans on going Amish, one will probably buy some Foxconn supported materials.

Samsung's been under fire for labour practices in China too, and mentioned in the same breath as Foxconn. I wouldn't count on them to keep your conscience clean.

Financial reports from 2012 list HTC as a Foxconn client, too.

Sigh. I guess there was a subconciuos reason i bought a LG phone then. It isnt smartphone. but my mom thne bought huawei smartphone, didnt knew how to use it, so we switched. which i guess still supports foxconn, so guilty as charged.
I dont have a TV. well i do. its over 15 years old, has spent the last 6 years of its life in a basement and wasnt turned on since it moved there.
Monitor? Old LG FLatron and a built in laptop one i dont know who manufactured.
Computer? Guilty as charged here, i bought HP, never again im buying anything HP, all thier products seem to be cut corners at users expense.
You CAN get by without slave labour, but its going to be more expensive. there still are factories making electronics in all over europe, even genrmany, of course it will cost you double, but quality will be there as well, and its no slave labour (even if its drunk romanians, they come there willingly).

Lightknight:

Do you like Chocolate? How about hersey brand chocolate? Child Slavery (though they promise to end child slavery in their product line by 2020... assholes)

Like Victoria's Secret? Their "fair trade" cotton is planted and harvested by children slaves in Africa.

That same link shows Microsoft as a huge user of Chinese factories that actually employ slave and child labor. The company Microsoft uses most is KYE which has over 1,000 workers with many 15 years and younger "employees". They work 15 hours per day , no AC. Nokia and Apple both use these kinds of factories as well and those are just the big names that have "admitted" to it.

Forever 21, Aeropostale, Toys 'R' Us, Urban Outfitters (also listed in the Victoria Secret link) also use child slavery. Does anyone else think it ridiculous that Toys 'R' Us has child slaves making clothes for children in our country?

Odds are that you have several items on or closely around you that were made partially at the expense of actual slaves.

This work study crap at Foxconn isn't all rosey. But it isn't slavery, does give them room and board while at college, may actually pay them but that's unclear, and lets them leave at will. It is a known and publicized component of the college and it looks like the biggest complaint is that the work may not be related to their degree at all. I have known American colleges that have required unpaid internships as part of the coursework and those still exist. So it's easy to complain about this example but it's not slavery or "forced" labor. They can leave at any time and were aware of this condition for graduating. It's like saying that I was "forced" to complete two semesters of a foreign language and that's evil because I couldn't not do it and still graduate. Despite it not being particularly relevant to my area of study.

Hersey chocolate? at first i thought you mistyped, i never even heard about such a thing. Then again as far as sweets are concerned i buy most of them made in company called "Ruta", since they are the only ones in my country using actual chocolate and not fake one and have very tasty, albeit more expensive, sweets. no slave labour either, even if the workers do get paid rather small, then again so does our whole country.

is victorias secret still a thing? i was under the impression only rich vanity driven girls with too much money and no brains even bothered with it anymore.
Nokia and Apple are probably the onles ones that manage to use slave labour and still raise the prices 10 times the products worth though. you have to give respect wher respect is due, they managed to herd whole world into their hypnosis.

Your wrong about them being able to leave though. read up above as a poster there have actually explained it more clearly than i would manage. they "can" leave just like they "can" suicide. sure they "Can" but its not very rewarding now is it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here