Diablo III's Expansion May Only Cost $30

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A Blizzard survey to Diablo III owners asked them to consider a $30 standard edition, and a $50 collector's edition of the Reaper of Souls expansion.

If you're a Diablo III owner, you may see an official survey from Blizzard pop up in your inbox, regarding the upcoming Reaper of Souls expansion pack. Among standard questions regarding what games and systems players have, as well as which features of the expansion are most important to them, Blizzard asked players to "Consider two versions of the expansion: a Standard Edition for $29.99 and a Collector's Edition for $49.99."

It continued that "The Standard Edition includes the Reaper of Souls expansion; the Collector's Edition includes the expansion, exclusive in-game content, and other bonus items." Traditionally, Blizzard expansion packs (such as last year's Heart of the Swarm) retail for $40, so putting Reaper of Souls at a $30 price-point offers a $10 price cut.

The survey asked players to rank which features of Reaper of Souls were most important to them. The list of features includes: raises max character level to 70, loot runs, new Crusader playable class, gear transmogification, new act of content, new paragon levels and point system, Nephalem trials, and new loot system.

"Our goal at Blizzard Entertainment is to make the most epic gaming experiences possible, so we want to get your feedback as a registered user of Diablo III," said Blizzard in the email.

This could be a good thing if you're a glass-half-full kind of guy, but if you're a bit of a pessimist, you may be thinking that Blizzard is charging less because of less content. Charging an extra $20 for a collector's edition seems a bit rich, especially if it's only a handful of in-game content.

Source: Polygon

So, they might decide to offer an expansion pack for the price expansion packs are usually sold at?

Bindal:
So, they might decide to offer an expansion pack for the price expansion packs are usually sold at?

You summed up my thoughts rather nicely as well. Are we all that used to being taken for a ride that this is considered some kind of generous move?

Even 30$ (in EU probably 30€) is quite high if you look at the amount of content you actually get.

- one new class
- one new act
- new professions

That's pretty much it. The other stuff is provided to everybody by patch. So why should I pay 30$ for this?

Bindal:

Blizzard expansion packs are traditionally sold at the $40 price point, if you'd read the whole article instead of just the title.

An interesting move. Of course, considering and -actually doing- are two very different things.
Blizzard's been hit and miss since Cataclysm... and it looks like they're starting to feel the heat from competitors more and more.

Here's hoping it pushes them to come out with goodies.

delete

Steven Bogos:

Bindal:

Blizzard expansion packs are traditionally sold at the $40 price point, if you'd read the whole article instead of just the title.

And worth it as far as I'm concerned. Blizzard still seem to be of the mentality that an expansion pack is almost a new game made on the same engine and with some of the same assets as the previous one. Not the bullshit we get these days where an expansion is a couple of multiplayer maps.

Ooh only 30 would be a nice price. Getting pretty sick of re-running inferno vanilla Diablo over n over already after getting back in to the game recently. So I'm eagerly looking forward to some new tile sets n monsters n loot models.

Wonder how useless my absurd end game gear will be by level 65 or whatever they raise the cap to lol.

The relative positivity of this thread so far is unsettling.

Steven Bogos:
Charging an extra $20 for a collector's edition seems a bit rich, especially if it's only a handful of in-game content.

Good thing those "other bonus items" tend to be an art book, behind the scenes Blu-ray, soundtrack and some kind of physical knick knack.

nodlimax:
Even 30$ (in EU probably 30€) is quite high if you look at the amount of content you actually get.

- one new class
- one new act
- new professions

That's pretty much it. The other stuff is provided to everybody by patch. So why should I pay 30$ for this?

Err no, the only things in the pre expansion patch is 'Loot 2.0' and 'Paragon 2.0'. The expansion is getting an increased level cap, new skills for the existing classes, a new class, a new act, enchanting, transmogrification, loot runs, nephalem trials, devil's hand, bounties, adventure mode, gambling, heaps of new legendaries and clans. And that's just what we know so far. That's definitely good value for money.

OT: Definitely going to be getting this and that price point just makes it that much better.

jackdeesface:

Steven Bogos:

Bindal:

And worth it as far as I'm concerned. Blizzard still seem to be of the mentality that an expansion pack is almost a new game made on the same engine and with some of the same assets as the previous one. Not the bullshit we get these days where an expansion is a couple of multiplayer maps.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree there as I think Blizzard is mostly garbage and has been for awhile. They sink their money into shallow and superficial things instead of focusing on actual game design. I wouldn't spend 50 dollars on a new Blizzard game, let alone an expansion pack.

Clive Howlitzer:

jackdeesface:

Steven Bogos:

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree there as I think Blizzard is mostly garbage and has been for awhile. They sink their money into shallow and superficial things instead of focusing on actual game design. I wouldn't spend 50 dollars on a new Blizzard game, let alone an expansion pack.

Fair, and i suppose from a business point of view it could be argued that those who are big enough fans to pay 60 dollars for a blizzard game are the EXACT people who will pay 40 for an expansion.

black_knight1337:

nodlimax:

- one new class
- one new act
- new professions

Err no, the only things in the pre expansion patch is 'Loot 2.0' and 'Paragon 2.0'. The expansion is getting an increased level cap, new skills for the existing classes, a new class, a new act, enchanting, transmogrification, loot runs, nephalem trials, devil's hand, bounties, adventure mode, gambling, heaps of new legendaries and clans. And that's just what we know so far. That's definitely good value for money.

OT: Definitely going to be getting this and that price point just makes it that much better.

Well, last I heard was that most of the things related to the expansion like the new level cap are supposedly implemented through the big loot 2.0 patch. So yeah, we'll have to wait and see I guess....

black_knight1337:

Indeed. It seems to be fairly comparable to LoD for Diablo 2, and I haven't seen many people claim that wasn't worth being a full expansion. Even if you don't like/want all the stuff they're adding, there certainly seems to be enough of it to justify an expansion rather than a free patch.

30 is fair, considering they are adding all the stuff other games did, copy cating and renaking a ll that stuff is time consuming after all.
hut 50? lol no. base d3 has destroyed that kinda enthusiasm in me.

the german gamestar has it that the levelcap is expansion only.

nodlimax:
Well, last I heard was that most of the things related to the expansion like the new level cap are supposedly implemented through the big loot 2.0 patch. So yeah, we'll have to wait and see I guess....

Oops, just checked the Blue post on it and Loot Runs and Nephalem trials will be in the patch as well. Although the patch itself hasn't been confirmed. Here's the quote on it

Grimiku:
We want to implement a lot of the new systems and features in a pre-expansion patch for free. That should include Paragon 2.0, Loot 2.0, Loot Runs, and Nephalem Trials.

Removal of always online bullshit. I'd rank it somewhere above actually buying it.

LazyAza:
Ooh only 30 would be a nice price. Getting pretty sick of re-running inferno vanilla Diablo over n over already after getting back in to the game recently. So I'm eagerly looking forward to some new tile sets n monsters n loot models.

Wonder how useless my absurd end game gear will be by level 65 or whatever they raise the cap to lol.

Isn't there end game content now? Like uber bosses and such? It's not much , but better than vanilla diablo runs . I think it's called key warden.

Denamic:
Removal of always online bullshit. I'd rank it somewhere above actually buying it.

I can guarantee you it won't happen any time soon. If it does end up happening, it would be when Blizz officially drop support for the game so that they don't have to deal with the rampant hacking that it would cause.

black_knight1337:

Denamic:

I can guarantee you it won't happen any time soon. If it does end up happening, it would be when Blizz officially drop support for the game so that they don't have to deal with the rampant hacking that it would cause.

Hacking? As in stealing accounts or cheating? If it's the former... why? The AH is being removed, so there's little incentive to hack accounts to steal items. And if it's the latter, who cares? It's not a competitive game. Just let people cheat as much as they want. It's none of your business. And again, the AH is being removed, so it's not like the 'economy' is being ruined.

Bindal:

Yeah. Is this good news? Is it even news? Arent expansion packs supposed to be in that price range? Oh, and did Heart of the Swarm get priced as an expansion in the US?! God damnit! Why the hell are they always screwing over EU customers?! Its pissing me off to no end!

Denamic:
Hacking? As in stealing accounts or cheating? If it's the former... why? The AH is being removed, so there's little incentive to hack accounts to steal items. And if it's the latter, who cares? It's not a competitive game. Just let people cheat as much as they want. It's none of your business. And again, the AH is being removed, so it's not like the 'economy' is being ruined.

It is my business when it directly impacts my experience of the game. The multi-player side of things has always been a large part of the game. And that multi-player gets ruined when people are running around with hacked items, making themselves invincible and able to one shot everything. It's not fun getting one shot in pvp much the same as it's not fun having the people you are partying with clearing the map before you can even do anything.
Also, with the upcoming introduction of ladders, it will be competitive.

EDIT: And the former will exist, with or without the Auction Houses. People still buy and sell stuff outside of the Auction Houses.

People still play this shit?

Any word on when this expansion will come out for consoles?

A collector's edition for an expansion pack? Are you joking me?

Steven Bogos:

It continued that "The Standard Edition includes the Reaper of Souls expansion; the Collector's Edition includes the expansion, exclusive in-game content, and other bonus items."

So... Nobody seems to ask about the "exclusive in-game content"? Since when did Collector Edition ever have exclusive in-game content in Blizzard games? I really loved that company but ever since they released Cataclysm they just went down the hill sitting on a boulder...

I'm really considering if I'm going to spend a penny on any Blizz stuff...

krazykidd:

LazyAza:

Isn't there end game content now? Like uber bosses and such? It's not much , but better than vanilla diablo runs . I think it's called key warden.

Yes I looked in to those just yesterday and it's less end game content and more just dull shit you have to grind for at an insane level of difficulty you have to level up for just to be able to stay alive at all. Blizzards answer to bored players as usual is just grind more of the same old shit lol. I hope the xpack has far more randomization and variety than the main game.

I'd love if Torchlight 2 got an official expansion!

LazyAza:

krazykidd:

LazyAza:

Yes I looked in to those just yesterday and it's less end game content and more just dull shit you have to grind for at an insane level of difficulty you have to level up for just to be able to stay alive at all. Blizzards answer to bored players as usual is just grind more of the same old shit lol. I hope the xpack has far more randomization and variety than the main game.

I won't argue with you on that one . Like i said , it's not much but it's there. However , i'm inclined to think most blizzard fans like mundane grinding.

Wow, only 30 bucks for a portion of the content that is in the main game. Mind you a game that is 60 dollars new. Seriously for that price, it should have at least 50% of the work that was involved with Diablo 3 originally. So, 2 new characters, 2 new acts, 50% new items and monsters. Seriously the pricing methods on expansions are bloody ridiculous and you know the console crowd will get screwed over if its over a certain data limit, especially with Microsoft. I didn't get the PC version because you can't rely on internet as much as electricity so I got the console version. So how much does anyone want to bet they're re-release the full game with this add-on for 60 bucks, making original console purchases pretty much null and void for the extra content? That's what XCOM did, that's what Dragon's Dogma did and by God I bet that's what Diablo 3 will do for the consoles too.

Hey, there's no shame in asking. If you're...misguided (too lazy to check a thesaurus for a mild synonym for stupid)enough to to spend "just 30$!" on that then it's your cash, go right ahead. Of course you're validating toxic business practices, stimulating uncreative and unoriginal game devs and also every time somebody pays Blizzard 30$ for nothing a cute bunny dies.

I missed this survey. I assumed it was yet another scam email. I delete all emails from 'Blizzard'.

I don't know, I feel like only one new character, one new act, and some extra levels aren't really worth $30. I'm intrigued enough to want new content because I recognize the game could have been way better, but I may sit back and wait for it to go down to $20. As it stands, I haven't touched Diablo III since a few months after launch.

Zauxst:

Steven Bogos:

It continued that "The Standard Edition includes the Reaper of Souls expansion; the Collector's Edition includes the expansion, exclusive in-game content, and other bonus items."

So... Nobody seems to ask about the "exclusive in-game content"? Since when did Collector Edition ever have exclusive in-game content in Blizzard games? I really loved that company but ever since they released Cataclysm they just went down the hill sitting on a boulder...

I'm really considering if I'm going to spend a penny on any Blizz stuff...

You mean in-game visual nonsense? Sorry, that's been in there for a while now. SC2 has "skins" for some units based on what version you bought, some trans-game stuff from their other titles/expansions, and WoW has had "exclusive" rewards for a WHILE now. I don't know how you're just now seeing this stuff.

TL;DR: Oh no, you won't get cool purple/black/bony/pony wings Blizzard will give to the collector's edition buyers. And the murloc/hogger/derpherp pet. CAST DENOUNCE, DEAL 10 CONSUMER SATISFACTION DAMAGE!

OT:
I would be down for a 30 dolla price. That definitely makes it more appealing for a personal purchase.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here