Diamonds Fall Like Rain on Jupiter and Saturn

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Diamonds Fall Like Rain on Jupiter and Saturn

Some US scientists now claim that diamonds the size of hail may be raining down to the cores of Jupiter and Saturn.

As anyone shopping around for that special someone will know, jewelry stores can often charge an arm, a leg and half a kidney for a high quality diamond ring. This is due to the rarity of naturally occurring diamonds on the surface of planet Earth. Now, a team of US scientists conclude that new atmospheric research shows these precious rocks exist in abundance on Jupiter and Saturn, raining down deep into their cores.

This is not the first time gemstones have been thought to exist on other planets, Uranus and Neptune have already been predicted to be home to solid diamonds, but Saturn and Jupiter were thought to have unsuitable atmospheres. In this new research, storm systems on the gas giants were observed to have lightning turning methane into soot high in the upper atmosphere of the planet. The soot then falls under gravity further into the gas giant and starts to experience higher temperatures and pressures. At a depth of 1,000 miles the soot turns into graphite, the sheet-like solid state of carbon. At 3,700 miles, these chunks of falling graphite get compressed even further into the harder, unreactive solid state of carbon, diamond. The biggest diamonds formed would be around one centimeter in diameter - "big enough to put on a ring, although of course they would be uncut," said Dr. Kevin Baines, of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory when presenting to the annual meeting of the Division for Planetary Sciences.

Dr. Baines has a lot of faith in his team's findings despite the skepticism: "The bottom line is that 1,000 tonnes of diamonds a year are being created on Saturn. People ask me - how can you really tell? Because there's no way you can go and observe it. It all boils down to the chemistry. And we think we're pretty certain." But the diamonds don't stop there, they continue falling for another 18,600 miles (roughly two and a half times the Earth's diameter) where it is uncertain what happens to them. "Once you get down to those extreme depths, the pressure and temperature is so hellish, there's no way the diamonds could remain solid. It's very uncertain what happens to carbon down there." Baines concludes, noting that one possibility is that a "sea" of liquid carbon could form. "Diamonds aren't forever on Saturn and Jupiter. But they are on Uranus and Neptune, which are colder at their cores."

His results are yet to be verified but many other planetary experts have spoken up in support, saying the possibility of diamond rain "cannot be dismissed." Either way, it seems we may have found a new reason to venture out to the other planets in our solar system, if only to bring some more bling back to Planet Earth.

Source: BBC News

An interesting curiosity and it sounds quite possible, but it's ultimately meaningless, because there's no way our tools could reach down to those depths to retrieve them.

This is due to the rarity of naturally occurring diamonds on the surface of planet Earth.

No, it's because their price was artificially inflated as a marketing scheme in 1938 (source). I thought everybody knew that.

I'm sure we could force the locals there to work in abject slavery to mine them for us so we can sell them at a 200% markup here on Earth.

Blindrooster:
I'm sure we could force the locals there to work in abject slavery to mine them for us so we can sell them at a 200% markup here on Earth.

We have nothing that could withstand that kind of pressure, sorry :(

LTK_70:

This is due to the rarity of naturally occurring diamonds on the surface of planet Earth.

No, it's because their price was artificially inflated as a marketing scheme in 1938 (source). I thought everybody knew that.

That's what I thought. Odd how people still think diamonds are some what special.

LTK_70:

Yeah because before 1938 diamonds were cheap as chips. The reason why diamonds, for 1000s of years, have been expensive is because they only naturally 80-120 miles down in the Earths crust and then thrust upward by volcanic action. This means they are inherently rare.

albino boo:

LTK_70:

Yeah because before 1938 diamonds were cheap as chips. The reason why diamonds, for 1000s of years, have been expensive is because they only naturally 80-120 miles down in the Earths crust and then thrust upward by volcanic action. This means they are inherently rare.

Not true at all. At least not the rare part. When's the last time you heard of a global diamond shortage? Never is when, the world, and the warehouses of diamond retailers are bursting at the seams with diamonds. They cost an arm and a leg because people are willing to pay am arm and a leg because god forbid your family and friends think less of you for buying a cheap ring for the love of your life, or worse! What if that bitch in the next cube never let's you live it down that hers is bigger!

Jupiter must be popular with all the lady planets because he's always makin' it rain.

2HF:

albino boo:

LTK_70:

Not true at all. At least not the rare part. When's the last time you heard of a global diamond shortage? Never is when, the world, and the warehouses of diamond retailers are bursting at the seams with diamonds. They cost an arm and a leg because people are willing to pay am arm and a leg because god forbid your family and friends think less of you for buying a cheap ring for the love of your life, or worse! What if that bitch in the next cube never let's you live it down that hers is bigger!

How diamonds have risen at 5% above inflation since the end of the De Beers monopoly? There are 2200 tons of diamonds mined each year as opposed to the 2800 million tons of iron ore mined each year. Why is gold more expensive than silver? Its simple, because its rarer.

Ruley:

I see what you did there.

Diamond rain...now that would be an amazing sight to see. You'd have to see it lying down though, what with the crushing gravitational pull.

Gas giants: "makin' it rain" for millions of years.

Next week: DeBeers claims ownership of Jupiter and Saturn.

i am really curious what the properties of a liquid carbon sea would have

albino boo:

LTK_70:

i think they were more expensive in the past because there were no known mineing locations for them. so it was very rare that they showed up, they just had to have the ground around them eroded over time till they popped to the surface.
now with mines a lot more can be taken out of the ground so the rarity is much less. as other have said its all down to marketing. just because an item is rare does not mean it is usfull it is only the value we put on the object and sometimes just putting a high price on something and making people think its exclucive is enough to make people pay outta the nose for things

albino boo:

2HF:

albino boo:

How diamonds have risen at 5% above inflation since the end of the De Beers monopoly? There are 2200 tons of diamonds mined each year as opposed to the 2800 million tons of iron ore mined each year. Why is gold more expensive than silver? Its simple, because its rarer.

No, its because of Marketing and that they can:

And people complain whenever it's raining hard on our planet.

rodneyy:

albino boo:

LTK_70:

i think they were more expensive in the past because there were no known mineing locations for them. so it was very rare that they showed up, they just had to have the ground around them eroded over time till they popped to the surface.
now with mines a lot more can be taken out of the ground so the rarity is much less. as other have said its all down to marketing. just because an item is rare does not mean it is usfull it is only the value we put on the object and sometimes just putting a high price on something and making people think its exclucive is enough to make people pay outta the nose for things

The most common use for diamonds is industrial, over 80% of diamonds are used in this way. Tile cutters, drill bits, glass cutters, scalpels and even some windows use diamonds. The reason why diamonds are expensive is because there is a small supply. Gold is more expensive than iron because there is less of of it. Price is determined by combination of supply and demand. In the case gold and diamonds the supply is small because of the laws of physics which enables these commodities to act as stores of value. Gold and gems have acted in this manner for 1000s of years before the invention of marketing.This has not changed in the era marketing. The main driver of the gold price for the last 20 years has been demand for gold from India. The increasing prosperity of Indians means there are people with the wealth to buy gold in the same manner that was once reserved for the elite of Indian society 2000 years ago and has nothing whatsoever to do with marketing There may be more diamond mines today but the number of people alive and with wealth has risen faster than supply of diamonds. There are more people alive today on this planet than total of all the humans that have ever lived and furthermore they have a greater average disposable income than ever before.

Man the chemistry in the upper atmosphere of gas giants is strange and scary.

WE ALL KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING.

Other than our future selves coming and killing all of us because of a psychopath converting a time machine into a paradox one, it must be beautiful to look at.

albino boo:
snip

Except everything you say about diamond doesn't hold, has there is higher supply then demand of diamond, has we have capability to create large quantity of synthetic diamond at cheap cost, only due to the jewelry sector is the price of mined one inflated due to price control.

albino boo:
There are more people alive today on this planet than total of all the humans that have ever lived

You're either an extreme animal rights activist or absolutely terrible at maths.

Diamonds are damn near worthless. The assumption that all diamonds mined are sold is a fallacy of marketing. Most are stored long term in large warehouses, because the simple truth of chemistry and physics is that diamonds are the most common gemstone on earth. While diamonds of color or large size are rare, the vast majority of the diamonds sold are exceedingly common. You can artificially inflate the price of anything if you control the supply and use marketing to drive up demand. This is accomplished because diamond mines are rare and easily controlled to limit supply.

Side note: The Rothschild have been doing the same thing with currency for over a hundred years.

Theres a planet made of diamond. There is one where it rains oil. There are even suns out there where you can walk across without being burnt to a crisp. Space is weird, but sci fi never comes close to it.

albino boo:

2HF:

albino boo:

You're confusing rare with rarer. People who can make a living singing are rarer than those who can't but they're not rare. 2200 tons of anything in a year is not rare, it's just rarer. Assuming your numbers are even anywhere near correct, I can't be bothered to do the research. Diamonds are not rare, and unless they're used for industrial purposes they're not worth much either. They're an absolutely useless waste of money for any consumer.

SonOfVoorhees:
Theres a planet made of diamond. There is one where it rains oil. There are even suns out there where you can walk across without being burnt to a crisp. Space is weird, but sci fi never comes close to it.

HA so true. On Star Trek Voyager they had an episode where Janeway takes the ship a Nebula to get coffee out of it. Now we've discovered an actual Nebula with huge clouds of alcohol bigger then our solar system!

http://phys.org/news63346824.html

It's just a bunch of shiny rocks. Beyond cosmic jewelry, I don't see much use in this discovery.

wait. call me stupid, but... jupiter has a surface? i thought gas giants were just big balls of gas in space.

Skeleon:
An interesting curiosity and it sounds quite possible, but it's ultimately meaningless, because there's no way our tools could reach down to those depths to retrieve them.

I know one man who could, would do it. One man with the money the tenacity the audacity! Scrooge Mcduck!

bullet_sandw1ch:
wait. call me stupid, but... jupiter has a surface? i thought gas giants were just big balls of gas in space.

They are believed to have a rocky core, all the stuff we see from photographs is the planets' atmospheres.

bullet_sandw1ch:

Actually, the core is solid. Any planetary body has a solid core made of primarily one element, or one is in much higher quantity than any other. Earth has a planetary core which is mostly iron. Jupiter may have a core (this is theory from 2001 Space Odyssey) which is basicly surrounded by diamond, as in pure diamond, because of its immense pressure that would literally compress and crush everything so tightly together that it becomes diamond. Which begs the question what core jupiter has, elementally speaking.

In any case, there is a solid part to any planetary body, i.e. the core of it. Regardless if the surface is solid, gaseous or fluid. Even the sun has one gigantic core under all that molten, burning, hot surface. And the core is usually the primary element and the heaviest, which due to rotation generates gravity and attracts everything around it.

But to put the idea there, Jupiter may have a earth-like planet under all that "gas". The gaseous part may just be its entire atmosphere, just like we have this big space between the ground and outer space we call "the sky" ;P

I love space. There's always something new and awesome to discover. Even in our own backyard. I don't even care if this turns out to not be true, it's just so damn cool.

wombat_of_war:
i am really curious what the properties of a liquid carbon sea would have

Honestly, I'm not sure. Would it be like oil? Or something else?

Racecarlock:
It's just a bunch of shiny rocks. Beyond cosmic jewelry, I don't see much use in this discovery.

Diamonds, being one of the hardest substances known to man, have a variety of uses that are not merely cosmetic. Such as industrial uses. Drill bits are probably the most obvious example.

bullet_sandw1ch:

My guess would be some sort of core. Similar to the Earth's core, but surrounding by nigh immeasurable amounts of gas instead of rock. How a gas giant forms, I'm not really certain.

albino boo:

2HF:

albino boo:

GOld is more expensive than silver because its excavation is throwtled down to support such pricing range, coupled with popular belief that "gold is safe currency" makes it very expensive in period of crysis. truth is, such metals like neodymium are FAR MORE RARE, but less expensive. Diamonds and gold is a monopolized market that artificially inflates prices for their own benefit.

Maze1125:

albino boo:
There are more people alive today on this planet than total of all the humans that have ever lived

You're either an extreme animal rights activist or absolutely terrible at maths.

He is correct. There are currently more people alive that have ever lived. lived, means they used to live but now are dead. we have more people alive now than ever have died on our planet. and that is a fact. you can thank life longevity and uncontrolled mating for that. because apperently some idiot decided that having children is a human right.

Strazdas:

albino boo:

2HF:

GOld is more expensive than silver because its excavation is throwtled down to support such pricing range, coupled with popular belief that "gold is safe currency" makes it very expensive in period of crysis. truth is, such metals like neodymium are FAR MORE RARE, but less expensive. Diamonds and gold is a monopolized market that artificially inflates prices for their own benefit.

Maze1125:

albino boo:

He is correct. There are currently more people alive that have ever lived. lived, means they used to live but now are dead. we have more people alive now than ever have died on our planet. and that is a fact. you can thank life longevity and uncontrolled mating for that. because apperently some idiot decided that having children is a human right.

How do you figure that? There are far, far more dead than living. Remember, humans have been dying for over a hundred millennia. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

A-D.:

...snip

In any case, there is a solid part to any planetary body, i.e. the core of it. Regardless if the surface is solid, gaseous or fluid. Even the sun has one gigantic core under all that molten, burning, hot surface. And the core is usually the primary element and the heaviest, which due to rotation generates gravity and attracts everything around it.

It's not the rotation that "generates" gravity. Gravity is a function of the amount of mass, not of the rotation of that mass.
And we still don't know exactly how gravity is "generated", just that it might have something to do with the interaction of bosons on a quantum level (aka: we don't exactly know how).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here