Xbox Entertainment Exploring Reality TV in Street Soccer Show

Xbox Entertainment Exploring Reality TV in Street Soccer Show

Xbox Entertainment Studios logo

Xbox Entertainment Studio's greenlit soccer show has a connection to gaming, but the focus is primarily on the sport.

Soccer is one of the most widely played sports globally, and with the World Cup next year, the recently founded Xbox Entertainment Studios is trying out television. Its first greenlit series is Every Street United, an unscripted show that will feature local street soccer players in the following eight countries: the U.S., Spain, Holland, France, Argentina, Brazil, Ghana, and South Korea.

Xbox Entertainment has released few details on it, but Deadline reports a top player from each of the eight countries will play a 4 vs. 4 game in a finale episode shot at the 2014 World Cup in Rio de Janeiro. The players are also expected to attend World Cup games. Each episode will be 30 minutes long. Mandalay Sports Media, the sports content and media company founded last year by Mike Tollin and Peter Gruber. Tollin produced Coach Carter and Varsity Blues; Gruber produced Rain Man and The Color Purple. He is also the co-owner of the Golden State Warriors and the MLB's Los Angeles Dodgers. Jonathan Hock, director of "The Best That Never Was" on ESPN's 30 For 30 documentary series, will direct a portion of the series.

With all of the sports documentary veterans, Every Street United will be more of a sports-centric show with no clear link to videogames other than the popularity of FIFA soccer games. Microsoft has stated before it plans to branch out to build the Xbox brand into wide entertainment beyond gaming. During the Xbox One reveal, Nancy Tellem, entertainment and digital media president at Microsoft, announced that Steven Spielberg will produce a Halo series.

Source: Deadline

Uh....what does this have to do with my XBoX Gam? oh I see that explains why the X-Bone is essentially a Tivo with a cponsole addon, MS is trying to create it's own cable network...

Congratulations Microsoft, with damn near every announcement, you are convincing me more and more that Xbox is not the console I will pick for console only games this time around.

Protip Microsoft; If I am buying a console to game on...I DONT FUCKIGN CARE ABOUT SPORTS SHOWS... If I wanted to watch that useless crap, I would tell my DVR to record it.

Hey look, another Microsoft announcement that says absolutely nothing about the GAMES aspect of the XBox One! I mean come on, pander to gamers in a commercial or announcement already, not sports.

I'm amazed here guys! Honestly. Microsoft has managed to commit a double fail.
Fail 1: another non game announcement for Xbox 1, winning over exactly no one.
Fail 2: failing at reality shows. NO ONE wants to watch reality tv soccer in NA, far as I know.

seriously WHAT the DOUBLEfuck?! streetsoccer. . .

cursedseishi:
I'm amazed here guys! Honestly. Microsoft has managed to commit a double fail.
Fail 1: another non game announcement for Xbox 1, winning over exactly no one.
Fail 2: failing at reality shows. NO ONE wants to watch reality tv soccer in NA, far as I know.

Soccer is damned popular in other countries like mine and yeah even we don't want to watch a reality show based on it.

Speaking as an English person, I had no idea street football even existed. I can't imagine an American person caring in the slightest.

Then again, people do watch shows like Jersey Shore, so there really is no accounting for taste.

I'm guessing this is one of those 'only available in America' services? Because even if it isn't it sounds retarded.

If it is however, then MS have gone full-retard (again).

Just how long is Microsoft going to piss away money for?

People in power over there must be getting fed up by now surely.

It's me or each announcement made by Microsoft is worse than the previous ?
When was the last one regarding GAMES ? Because in my opinion GAMES are important for a GAMING console but it seems that GAMES aren't the first Microsoft's priority.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here