Pokemon X and Y May Be Teasing a Ruby and Sapphire Remake

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pokemon X and Y May Be Teasing a Ruby and Sapphire Remake

Several subtle and not-so-subtle hints discovered in Pokemon X and Y may be hinting of a Gen III remake.

Pokemon Red and Blue and Pokemon Gold and Silver have already received remakes on the GBA and DS respectively, and keen-eyed Pokefans currently playing through X and Y are picking up on hints that a Ruby and Sapphire remake may already be in the works. Considering the release windows of Fire Red and Leaf Green, and Heart Gold and Soul Silver, a Gen III remake following up from X and Y certainly seems logical.

The Operation Honnen Twitter account has been collecting all of the Ruby and Sapphire hints in the latest games, and while some of them are quite obscure, others are not-so-subtle. Check out the full gallery of collected images below:

It's also worth noting that the very first Wi-Fi distribution for Pokemon X and Y just so happens to be for a Torchic-one of the three starter Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire. Nintendo revealed yesterday that the previous two Pokemon remakes have both sold in the vicinity of 12 million copies each.

Last year was Ruby and Sapphire's 10th anniversary, and to mark the occasion, Game Freak distributed their mascot legendaries, Kyogre and Groudon, to Pokemon Black 2/White 2 players.

So what do you guys think? Is this just confirmation bias, or are Game Freak hinting that the remake is on the way?

Source: Twitter via Kotaku

I'd stick the "rumor" label on this one, it's a bit of a stretch.

I mean, crazier things have happened (like, for instance, everything new in this generation) but I'm not holding my breath until it actually happens.

Having played pokemon since its introduction into the world, I believe there is only one way to say this regarding a possible remake...

Well the first image is really stretching it as far as hints go. But the thing is X and Y are filled with references to all 5 prior generations. I lady in a PokeCenter talked about Professor Oaks son visiting the region. I've found people talking about Professors Rowan and Elm and others talking about the Sinnoh legendary Pokemon. I think cherry piking the Gen 3 references is kinda missing point.

When it comes to Pokemon games, remember that the localisation team does not always directly translate the Japanese text. Often they come up with their own dialogue. So I think I'd prefer to see Japanese game screenshots before I'd comment on anything that GameFreak my or may not be hinting at.

I have to think it's pretty likely based on their previous remakes. Sapphire and Ruby were immensely popular, arguably more so than Silver and Gold were. It just makes sense, especially with the enormous success of X and Y proving yet again that Pokémon still sells like hot cakes.

About half way through the game, so far there does seem to be more Hoenn references than those to other regions... that said, nothing is confirmed until an official announcement is made. I think an R/S remake is more likely than not though, simply because Nintendo and GameFreak love money and we all know those remakes would rake in millions on the first day.

JoJo:
About half way through the game, so far there does seem to be more Hoenn references than those to other regions... that said, nothing is confirmed until an official announcement is made. I think an R/S remake is more likely than not though, simply because Nintendo and GameFreak love money and we all know those remakes would rake in millions on the first day.

Given the track record of how things work with pokemon versions, it would be more than likely we would get a remake sooner than later. I mean, we have gen I and gen II remakes...

But that's what I think. All we can do is speculate.

The main reason I like the Pokemon remakes is that they gave access to Pokemon who had become uncatchable (personally I like the word "extinct") on the latest iterations of the series due to trade compatibilities, with the GBA so far away now it would be nice to have a ruby/sapphire remake just so that gamers won't have to own the various games and systems they would have to own at the moment to get Hoenn pokemon onto X or Y.

What I would really like to see is a new game with a new story that took place in regions 1-4, I know that would be a lot of content and I'm not sure how it would work but it would get all the regions and their respective Pokemon onto one console.

Of course they're going to remake Ruby and Sapphire eventually. That's Nintendo's MO. Do they really need to say "buy this game to tell you about that game". No, they certainly do not. Game Freak is building world continuity by acknowledging these places still exist, nothing more.

Incidentally, notice there is not a single reference to Orre, Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia? yet plenty of references in the Ranger and Stadium games to Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh? (thus proving they are the same Pokemon universe?)

Ewww. Why remake the worst gen by far? Ruby and Sapphire killed pokemon for me, and that was before I grew up and became jaded.

Just remake gen 1 and 2 again no one will mind. :D

Vault Citizen:

What I would really like to see is a new game with a new story that took place in regions 1-4, I know that would be a lot of content and I'm not sure how it would work but it would get all the regions and their respective Pokemon onto one console.

Or this. I love X and Y so much because it feels like new content for the original games when I'm only using guys like Blastoise, Pidgiot, Raichu, and Gengar.

A pokemon game during a Great Depression-like setting could be very captivating, and would give a reason for children to be wandering about on their own. Forced to step up, lest your family starve, you leave with the family's only pokemon to seek your fortune and meet other weary wanderers seeking the same thing.

10 comments in and nobody said "Hoenn Confirmed" yet? how dissapointing...

I missed these first time around so this seems like the right time.

3rd gen is my least favourite, so I don't really care...

Red/Blue remakes were necessary, because while the originals were good games, they had their problems and a remake was nice.

And while Heartgold/soulsilver weren't necessary I enjoyed them a lot, 2nd being my fave gen, but from the 2nd gen forwards they are enjoyable on their own. Playing Vietnamese Crystal recently made me realise how well the art-style still holds up too, but maybe that's just me.

The first two gen games weren't combatible with the 3rd onwards, because of the inner workings, so the remakes made sense, if just so you had access to all the Pokemon.
With the way things are now, I suppose it makes sense to have a remake of the 3rd gen so you can directly transfer Pokemon from there to the newest gen. (Although I still have Pokemon in my Black 2 who have gone through this journey:

Pokemon Colosseum-> Ruby/sapphire-> Diamond -> Platinum -> White -> Black 2)

It would make sense tbh, its easy to get gen 1, 2 ,4 and 5 Pokemon into your game, either by sending them over or simply catching them.

Gen 3 Pokemon seem to be in the minority in the wild on X and Y (i have only seen Torchic thanks to the event, Bagon, Trapinch, Roselia, Wingull, Elecktrike and Manectric) and as the games have gone by, they have became rarer unless you have a copy of Ruby Or sapphire, which many people don't have any more. A Gen 3 remake has to come eventually unless it will be impossible to get every Gen 3 Pokemon

Mcoffey:

A pokemon game during a Great Depression-like setting could be very captivating, and would give a reason for children to be wandering about on their own.

Clearly you aren't aware of the Pokemon War Theory then?

OT: I would welcome a remake of Generation 3, as it was my first introduction to Pokemon that would lead me to go back and explore Gens 1&2. However I don't think that these cues are 'teasing' such a remake, and that they are simply acknowledging the series' established lore.

Sure, why not? The Hot Springs comment is the most direct reference while the wedding anniversary stuff could just be coincidence. But they've been remaking their other games so why not go ahead and remake Sapphire and Ruby?

On a side note, anyone else name their Groudon "Godzilla"? :3

Well, that would be nice.
Unlike some, Ruby and Sapphire's region Honnen would just so happen to be my favorite of the series. If only because of how varied the cities were. I bet it would translate nicely on the 3DS. I happen to like the gen3 pokemon as well, so there's that. I'm personally not too convinced by the images they found, but this sounds like something Nintendo would do.

JokerboyJordan:
[quote="Mcoffey" post="7.831327.20290304"]

Can't stop... staring at... Reno... Y U DO THIS, Jokerboy!

I had guessed anyway that they were waiting to really change the game's look before they went and remade Hoenn.

I really love Gen III's setting, it has a lot of Pokemon I really love, and they're probably my most-played games of the series, so I'll look forward to this.

I really liked Gen III, my only issue was that coming off Gen II I was expecting that we would get to return to Johto at the very least.

However as a singular region it is probably one of my favorites, especially with how they did secret bases and let you put them all sorts of places rather than the dull underground of Gen IV.

Mcoffey:
Ewww. Why remake the worst gen by far? Ruby and Sapphire killed pokemon for me, and that was before I grew up and became jaded.

Just remake gen 1 and 2 again no one will mind. :D

I dunno man, as far as I'm concerned Gen 3 was pretty damn good, especially if you include FireRed/LeafGreen. There was a heap of cool stuff in Ruby/Sapphire that they never brought back!

Diamond & Pearl, on the other hand.....

Gen 3 was the generation I started with, and I still hold that the Emerald battle frontier is the best endgame area in any main series pokemon game. I have (admittedly hugely nostalgic) great memories of playing through Ruby for the first time, where every new pokemon was a surprise and every town a shock.
So yeah, I'd love a Hoenn remake.

CharrHearted:

JokerboyJordan:

Can't stop... staring at... Reno... Y U DO THIS, Jokerboy!

Mwahahaha! Your feeble mind is no match for Reno's hypnotic gaze...

I enjoyed Gen 3, and I admittedly wouldn't mind if they decided to remake them for the 3DS.

If there's a Diamond & Pearl remake, though, I'm burning down Game Freak's headquarters.

Groudon and Kyogre having an epic world-shattering struggle of godly magnitude in full-motion 3D animation?

CrazyCapnMorgan:

There is also another woman in a hotel mentioning that she comes from Lavaridge town, or whatever it was.

What I want to know about is that creepy chick who told me I'm not the one.

Innegativeion:
Groudon and Kyogre having an epic world-shattering struggle of godly magnitude in full-motion 3D animation?

CrazyCapnMorgan:

I got quoted by Naoto! YAY! Life complete. ^.^

I have to say, what little Game Freak and Nintendo did with the 3D animations, they did it very right. Though, now I'm imagining all of the other legendaries locked in glorious battle: Reshiram vs Zekrom, Giratina vs Palkia vs Dialga vs Arceus, Lugia vs Ho-oh...

*shudders*

I really think it's about time my shiny Dragon team, that includes no legendaries, got back on its feet.

I sincerely hope they are. But I'm trying not to disapoint myself and you people are ruining it

If they do remake them, they can just shut up and take my money. In the meantime I'll be enjoying my X & Y.

I noticed that in X/Y you can get multiples of all of the fossil Pokemon from previous gens except for the Hoenn ones so maybe that's a hint. I'm hoping the Hoenn region is implemented as DLC for X/Y rather than an entire new game, I really don't feel like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald need remakes.

I always thought they'd never make one cause thre was never a point to. LG/FR and HG/SS were made primarily because cross game transfer was extremely difficult with them. With R/S/E you neveer had that problem.

Fractral:
Gen 3 was the generation I started with, and I still hold that the Emerald battle frontier is the best endgame area in any main series pokemon game. I have (admittedly hugely nostalgic) great memories of playing through Ruby for the first time, where every new pokemon was a surprise and every town a shock.
So yeah, I'd love a Hoenn remake.

I started since Red and Blue and I still hold Emerald as one of the top three pokemon games they have done so far. But as far as the references go this is a stretch, I mean someone was talking about how Gary learned Bonjour but still said "Smell ya later".

Innegativeion:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

I think I just drooled reading that idea....yeah I'm drooling. :E

It's not really if, but when. I think it's just a matter of time, Game Freak has a track record of remaking main series Pokemon games, and we'll probably see the Gen 3 remakes, and gen 7 on 3DS. All we have to do is play the waiting game.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........

We played this game with Gen V, remember? Everyone was pointing out every little throwback to Hoenn, and what did we get? Nothing.

I'd like Ruby/Sapphire remakes too, but it has to be cost effective for them to produce. Will a full 3D animated Pokemon remake done like X & Y make money for them? I don't think the power of nostalgia goes that far.

But hey. I predicted a lack of Gen II remakes, and I was dead wrong. So maybe this will reverse jinx them into making it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here