Nintendo Halts Wii Manufacturing

Nintendo Halts Wii Manufacturing

Wii discontinued

Nintendo has very quietly revealed that the venerable Wii is no longer being made.

Just a few weeks after Nintendo announced that production of the Wii would "end soon," the axe has fallen - and the end has come not with a bang or even a whimper, but just a tiny little notice in the upper right corner of the Wii website. Kotaku says the message translates into "production ended," while Engadget puts it at a slightly more succinct "discontinued," but the bottom line is the same: the once-mighty Wii is finished for good.

The Wii had a good run, and although it may have never earned the respect of "real" gamers, it sold more than 100 million units after launching in 2006 and at one time struck fear into the hearts of both Sony and Microsoft. Give that its successor, the Wii U, hasn't managed to even approach that level of success and, with all due respect, probably never will, it really is the end of an era.

Source: Nintendo

Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes. Something's telling me that Nintendo wants more people to buy the Wii U and use it's backwards compatibility for it, which makes sense since the Wii dropped backwards compatibility for the GameCube back in 2011 with the model revision, which no one seemed to complain about.

Neronium:
Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes. Something's telling me that Nintendo wants more people to buy the Wii U and use it's backwards compatibility for it, which makes sense since the Wii dropped backwards compatibility for the GameCube back in 2011 with the model revision, which no one seemed to complain about.

That does seem like a fairly plausible reason for them to cease manufacturing the Wii, there's also the fact it probably isn't selling too well these days anyway since everybody and their grandmother has one (I mean there are 3 of the fucking things in my house).

It's still a touch melancholic though, seeing as the console really did give out some absolutely excellent games amongst all that shovelware. Much like the PS2. But a bit less so.

Dafuq? I would have thought Nintendo of all companies would appreciate the value of the nostalgia dollar. "Not afraid of failure" my ass.

It's because there is absolutely no reason to purchase a Wii. Wii U can play all Wii games, meaning it's a Wii 2.0 that is supposed to literally REPLACE the original Wii, not exactly "follow" it in terms of console generations.
Wii was a bit of an experimental mess (admit it) and Wii U is the proper finished version with semi-decent hardware and controls that don't suck.

One of the reasons PS2 was being manufactured for so long is because it's the only console that can play PS2 games, i.e. a fucking huge library with many golden classics. The exclusive games kept the console in high enough demand to justify continued manufacturing, not to mention Sony got it down to a ridiculously cheap price.

SkarKrow:
(I mean there are 3 of the fucking things in my house).

Not meaning to prod but how the hell did that happen -_-

Neronium:
Well, that's quite sad actually. I expected the Wii to still be made for at least a couple more years. I mean hell Sony just stopped making PS2's this year and they still sell like hotcakes.

It's a bit different though, Sony's been selling them for $75 or even less in the third world. They shifted 2 million of them in 2012(!!!). I expect Sony don't have the same problems with over supply that Nintendo are having right now.

Does anyone know if this end of production include the Wii Mini as well? I'm assuming that's still going to store shelves unless Nintendo have specifically killed that as well.

fix-the-spade:

It's a bit different though, Sony's been selling them for $75 or even less in the third world. They shifted 2 million of them in 2012(!!!). I expect Sony don't have the same problems with over supply that Nintendo are having right now.

Does anyone know if this end of production include the Wii Mini as well? I'm assuming that's still going to store shelves unless Nintendo have specifically killed that as well.

Have you seen how cheap Nintendo Wiis go for? I've been seeing them getting sold for brand new in convineince stores for $100 and like $50-$75 used. Pretty much Nintendo was doing what Sony was doing with the PS2 so Nintendo could have kept the Wii going strong for a bit longer.

As for the Wii Mini, when a console is halted in manufacturing that means that all versions of that console cease in manufacturing. Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii about a year ago, so this was just the final nail in the coffin, which is sad. Plus with the Wii Mini that didn't sell that well to be honest, so I think Nintendo killed that one a while ago.

Neronium:

Have you seen how cheap Nintendo Wiis go for?

I'll rephrase that, Sony has been selling PS2s profitably for $75 to third world markets, whereas Nintendo has so much oversupply that stockists are resorting to fire sale prices to move stock at all, so it's a better situation for Sony.

Not surprising after only 210,000 shipped in the 3 months ending 30th June while the PS2 was still shipping 600,000 the 3 months ending 31st March 2012 (after this PS2 and PS3 shipment numbers are combined).

Still for the Wii to be discontinued less than a year after it's replacement was released has to be a record as even the Xbox lasted over 2 years after the 360 was released.

Also Nintendo will still be selling Wii's for sometime yet as they probably have plenty of stock to shift.

Yuuki:
It's because there is absolutely no reason to purchase a Wii. Wii U can play all Wii games, meaning it's a Wii 2.0 that is supposed to literally REPLACE the original Wii, not exactly "follow" it in terms of console generations.
Wii was a bit of an experimental mess (admit it) and Wii U is the proper finished version with semi-decent hardware and controls that don't suck.

One of the reasons PS2 was being manufactured for so long is because it's the only console that can play PS2 games, i.e. a fucking huge library with many golden classics. The exclusive games kept the console in high enough demand to justify continued manufacturing, not to mention Sony got it down to a ridiculously cheap price.

SkarKrow:

Well my brother has one, I have one, and for some unknown reason my parents have one in the living room.

Yuuki:

More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself. You call Wii U, Wii 2.0 but did Nintendo cease manufacturing Wii Remotes too? Just a few years into the Wii's life cycle Nintendo brand Gamecube controllers were impossible to find new and a few years ago Nintendo dropped Gamecube support altogether.

WeepingAngels:
More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself.

But how, can Wii play Wii U games? It's more about the game library than the price, that's what primarily drove PS2 manufacturing (as I said). The Wiimote wasn't exactly a sparkling success, lots of people resorted to buying the Wii gamepad...which wasn't included in most standard Wii bundles. Overall it's a bit of a mess, while Wii U is a vastly more "complete" product.

Nintendo are trying to make us forget about the Wii >_<

Yuuki:

WeepingAngels:
More like the Wii is more attractive than the Wii U because of it's price and Nintendo is competing against itself.

But how, can Wii play Wii U games? It's more about the game library than the price, that's what primarily drove PS2 manufacturing (as I said). The Wiimote wasn't exactly a sparkling success, lots of people resorted to buying the Wii gamepad...which wasn't included in most standard Wii bundles. Overall it's a bit of a mess, while Wii U is a vastly more "complete" product.

Nintendo are trying to make us forget about the Wii >_<

Most of the 100 Million Wii's sold probably went to people who wanted to use the Wii remote. People who wanted to play Wii Sports, the Just Dance games and so on.

As for people not buying Wii's because they can't play Wii U games....Wii U's aren't flying off shelves because the Wii U library isn't that great. Let's not pretend that the Wii U library will keep people from buying a $100 Wii.

Moving on, Nintendo can't really view the Wii U as the Wii 2.0 if they stopped manufacturing Wiimotes.

Yes, they want us to forget about the Wii and eventually they may drop Wii support like they did with the Gamecube/Wii redesign and GBA/DSi, so why did you call it Wii 2.0?

Not surprised. Everybody that wanted a Wii would have gotten one by now, and the WiiU is backwards compatible with all Wii games and peripherals.

Though yes developing countries could have been a new market from them, it seems that they can be logistical nightmares that I doubt Nintendo would want to be involved in (See: Extra Creditz videos on game markets in South America)

WeepingAngels:

Yes, they want us to forget about the Wii and eventually they may drop Wii support like they did with the Gamecube/Wii redesign and GBA/DSi, so why did you call it Wii 2.0?

Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii already. I think they did it either last year or at the beginning of this year because they sent a message to people's Wii inbox.

Neronium:

WeepingAngels:

Nintendo dropped support for the Nintendo Wii already. I think they did it either last year or at the beginning of this year because they sent a message to people's Wii inbox.

They dropped software support. Hardware support is just ending.

Nintendo tends to do that. When a new console comes out they just drop the old one like a bad habit. It made sense with the N64 and Gamecube but Wii was successful. Now we know that's just how Nintendo operates regardless of the success of a console.

(Is suddenly terrified of her Wii dying)

I doubt that's a good idea. The Wii is still popular, unlike the Wii-U.

My guess is that they speculate people will buy a Wii-compatible Wii-U rather than a used Wii when they want/need one.

Well, we'll see how that works out.

I have a full library of Wii games I have never touched...probably over 40 I have never even opened (still in the plastic wrap). I do plan on getting to them some year (but new games keep distracting me).

I can't see me ever getting a WII U mainly because of that huge list of Wii games still waiting for me. I have Xenasaga, The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I played 1 but didn't finish it..so it's kinda on my list as well), Monster hunter and a ton of others.

I also have a ton of PS3 and Xbox 360 games backlogged.

But....in general, I go in this order of playing backlogged games.

PC first (easiest....as I'm on my computer all the time).
Ps3 next (my favorite console...it's always set up and just needs me to turn it on)
Xbox 360 (not plugged in/set up..but I do have some games I am really looking forward to playing on it)
Wii (not plugged in/set up....have tons of supposedly good games to play...but I have to play them on my large SDTV instead of my HD tvs..and I just never seem to get around to them).

The Wii interested my wife for a bit (she liked Elibits etc) but honestly it never really grabbed my attention. I enjoy the Ratchet and Clank games more then the Mario Galaxy games personally (actually finishing all the R&C games..and only getting like halfway through the first mario galaxy)...and at least so far the RPGs on the PS3 where way better then the few I played on my Wii. I have to try Xenosaga though as everyone says that is really good (just havn't had a chance).

Anyway I think there are probably more then enough used Wii's and unsold Wii's to satisfy the market...which is probably why nintendo dicontinued them. Especially with the price of the Wii U (used) dropping to around $200..or cheaper if you buy directly from someone on craigslist etc.....the cost of a new Wii just isn't going to be worth it for many people.

Well finally that experiment is over can we now move on please.

wulfy42:
I have a full library of Wii games I have never touched...probably over 40 I have never even opened (still in the plastic wrap). I do plan on getting to them some year (but new games keep distracting me).

I can't see me ever getting a WII U mainly because of that huge list of Wii games still waiting for me. I have Xenasaga, The Last Story, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (I played 1 but didn't finish it..so it's kinda on my list as well), Monster hunter and a ton of others.

I also have a ton of PS3 and Xbox 360 games backlogged.

But....in general, I go in this order of playing backlogged games.

PC first (easiest....as I'm on my computer all the time).
Ps3 next (my favorite console...it's always set up and just needs me to turn it on)
Xbox 360 (not plugged in/set up..but I do have some games I am really looking forward to playing on it)
Wii (not plugged in/set up....have tons of supposedly good games to play...but I have to play them on my large SDTV instead of my HD tvs..and I just never seem to get around to them).

The Wii interested my wife for a bit (she liked Elibits etc) but honestly it never really grabbed my attention. I enjoy the Ratchet and Clank games more then the Mario Galaxy games personally (actually finishing all the R&C games..and only getting like halfway through the first mario galaxy)...and at least so far the RPGs on the PS3 where way better then the few I played on my Wii. I have to try Xenosaga though as everyone says that is really good (just havn't had a chance).

Anyway I think there are probably more then enough used Wii's and unsold Wii's to satisfy the market...which is probably why nintendo dicontinued them. Especially with the price of the Wii U (used) dropping to around $200..or cheaper if you buy directly from someone on craigslist etc.....the cost of a new Wii just isn't going to be worth it for many people.

Aren't you ashamed of posting that ?

Yuuki:

SkarKrow:

Which controls sucked? The Wii Remote that made FPS experience much more pleasant to play and made the combat in a Zelda game the best in the series so far?

Spygon:
Well finally that experiment is over can we now move on please...

...To a big touch screen in the middle of the controller, and another hardware skewing console.

Yay!

Well that's quite sad, but it's fitting how the winner of the 7th Gen bows out just as the 7th Gen comes to an end. Nintendo took a major risk and it's obvious why; to get us to buy the Wii U.

I kind of thought The Wii would have been last gen's PS2 in that it would still be in production to a certain extent for years upon years into the new generation. I can't say I'm sad to see it go though, considering how massively successful the Wii turned out to be. Now the Big N can focus on their next console and hopefully turn it into a success.

Nah, I'm not ashamed at all. In fact, it's a fairly common problem from what I have heard.

I'm a life long gamer...but....I've been an adult (over 18) for longer then I was a kid at this point (almost 41). In my 20's I still had lots of time to play games though...up until about 12 years ago when I got married. The Ps3/xbox 360 and Wii all were not out yet at that point...and since then my gaming time has been reduced...and I often try to play games my wife enjoys as well if possible.

Then there is the whole MMO explosions and my Ipad which has tons of games on it etc. I just have not been able to keep up with the good games on so many systems. I still want to support good games though, so I buy them. I still plan on playing them eventually....but that eventually is going to have to be REALLy long pretty soon as the shear number of unplayed games I have keeps getting larger.

I have still played many games though....finishing them and spending over 100 hours on many. Which is part of the problem. If I start a game, I usually like to play it all the way through (super mario galaxy withstanding)....or I just play a few minutes/hour and toss it into the (eventually) pile (dragons dogma for instance was like that).

Just on steam along I have a about 150 games and about half of them I have never even loaded on my computer...but when dragons crown came out, I put the other games on hold, bought it...and played it for a few weeks.

I have a wide range of games that I enjoy, but a few specific types (action RPGS mainly) that I'll jump on right away. The problem is that recently more and more games of the type I put to the front of the list have been coming out...which has drastically reduced the time I spend on other types of games. I've totally stopped buying tactical RPG type game (FF tactics type)...and while I'll still pick up a good traditional RPG...I have probably almost 100 of them to play between all my systems already. I'll never get through them all.

The next gen systems hold no interest for me at all.....until Kingdom hearts 3 comes out. At which point I will probably purchase a Ps4 to play it on. I don't see myself getting the Wii U...or Next Xbox anytime soon...if ever. I guess...if they are sold used in a few years with a decent selection of games that can only be played on their system....I'll pick one up then (at least the Wii U....doubt the Xbox will actually have any exclusives I want).

You'd be amazed at how many people have a huge stockpile of unplayed games though. It's quite common now.

Even being married/working, having a masters degree, white water rafting/hiking etc.....and being an avid reader (of sci-fi/fantasy mostly) I have spent more hours playing video games then probably almost anyone (especially if you count MMO's since I had a few years there before I got married where I played muds 17.5 hours a day on avarage). I have ...sadly.....spent the most hours in my life sleeping, followed by playing video games of one type or another (including MMOs'), then reading, then working...then watching TV...and then all the stuff I could actually feel proud of lol.

Just one 1 game I had 2 1/2 YEARS of actual in game type (with over a 95% in combat rate). Total years of my life...spent (not wasted since I enjoyed it) playing video games?....almost impossible to calculate but it's over 7 years for sure (possibly 25% of my life even).

Scary when you look back at it.

it really is the end of an era.

Thank bloody God. Lets return to real innovative gaming please.

That's sad, the end of an era of Nintendo dominance like we hadn't seen since the NES/SNES. I'd thought that the Wii was going to surpass the PS1 (102 million) before its end. But the sales really dropped off the face of the earth recently which surprises me with the WiiU's limited sales. The ps2 sold like hotcakes when the ps3 was floundering but the ps2 had a HUGE library of first/second/third party titles so I guess that was slightly different.

VondeVon:
(Is suddenly terrified of her Wii dying)

Consider buying a backup. Unbox it, install patches, make sure it works then seal it away for that day. Or just wait until that day and buy one from the store. I can purchase a functioning NES within 25 minutes of where I am right now for cheap. I won my first date with my now wife by betting her I could find a copy of Super Smash Bros for the N64 in 30 minutes from where I was in town while we were talking on the phone. Drove across town and the receipt still showed the win.

As many Wiis as there are, they may always be around. If not, we'll see those emulator consoles like the ones that currently play both NES and SNES cartridges. Though I suspect Nintendo will continue to sell old games now that digital distribution is a thing. However, that won't help us until they're available on x86 environments or until they're married to a Nintendo account rather than a console (a lost console means you're screwed).

Terramax:

it really is the end of an era.

Thank bloody God. Lets return to real innovative gaming please.

The Wii drastically changed the console peripheral market. Made the idea of peripherals actually profitable rather than gimmicky as they'd been for generations before. The Kinect, the Move, these have their moments of fun and likely wouldn't have existed so soon without the WiiMote. I wonder if things like the Occulus Rift were also considered because of this. No telling what kind of snow ball effect they had by making a peripheral so innovative that it pratically threw money out of consumers' wallets.

This also greatly broadened the gamer consumer base for awhile. Casual gamers and elderly gamers who never would have owned a system before purchased and enjoyed this one.

Give Nintendo the credit they deserve. They took a real risk and have always been innovative. No matter how their WiiU is faring, you can't take their innovation away from them. Gaming tech itself can't innovate that much. At the end of the day, it's just story telling. It's just the hardware that really changes now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here