Star Citizen Hits $24 Million With Hot New Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

Biggest thing to happen to space games since the joystick was invented or Biggest possible disaster waiting to happen that buries the genre for another 10 years.

I back this thing twice and all I can do is pray to the nine golden leprechaun gods of New New Terra that it is a mind blowing experience. To bad it's probably going to take several years for them to get anywhere close to the pitch.

magter3001:

kael013:
[quote="Ranorak" post="7.831932.20317840"] Still, the CGI was nice (though that missile evading thing took a bit too long).

It's still in pre-pre Alpha. They're going to be releasing a dogfighting module sometime soon to help test combat out, so you know they're trying to actually balance this game up.

Ooooh, I would pay money to help test that.

Also your avatar is awesome, I used to play so much of that game even though the name now escapes me.

Kahani:

Corralis:
No it's not CGI, the cut-scenes that Final Fantasy (and others) produce is CGI. What you are seeing there is all in-engine however the guy that makes these video's adds in certain special effects like bloom lighting to make it look a bit special. You will not see it like the video's while you are playing the game.

Yes, it is CGI. Words mean things. Using words to mean things that they don't actually mean is stupid and extremely unhelpful if you want to be understood. CGI means Computer Generated Imagery, as opposed to alternatives such as hand-drawn animation or filming real objects. The imagery in the Star Citzen video was generated by a computer. This is not a complicated thing to understand.

OK so by that reckoning then every computer game we play is entirely made in CGI? Nah CGI directly refers to the cutscenes in games regardless of what the words actually mean. Back in the early days of gaming it was referred as FMV or Full Motion Video but that term seems to have been replaced by CGI cause we don't use real actors in computer games anymore. I get what you mean but it's just that the term CGI is not used to describe in-engine scenes, at least not as I understand it anyway.

Corralis:
I get what you mean but it's just that the term CGI is not used to describe in-engine scenes, at least not as I understand it anyway.

Your understanding is faulty. Both prerendered and realtime rendered (in-game) scenes are CGI.

Corralis:
OK so by that reckoning then every computer game we play is entirely made in CGI?

Yes. Obviously.

Nah CGI directly refers to the cutscenes in games regardless of what the words actually mean.

No. The term to refer to cut-scenes in games is "cut-scenes", or more generally "cinematics". Those cinematics are usually CGI, for obvious reasons, but do sometimes use live action or other methods instead.

I get what you mean but it's just that the term CGI is not used to describe in-engine scenes, at least not as I understand it anyway.

Close. But more accurately, the term CGI is not normally used to describe anything to do with video games at all. It's a term from the film industry, and isn't used to talk about video games because, as already explained, it's completely redundant. If you want to distinguish between things like pre-rendered and in-engine, you use terms that actually distinguish between them (I recommend "pre-rendered" and "in-engine", for reasons that are hopefully obvious), not one that explicitly includes both by definition and, importantly, which is understood by everyone to include both. Hence the answer to the first part of your post - every computer game we play is entirely CGI, which is why no-one uses the term to talk about computer games. This isn't arguing about a commonly used term in an evolving language, it's usage of a term that I've never seen before and probably never will again because it simply doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

1337mokro:
Biggest thing to happen to space games since the joystick was invented or Biggest possible disaster waiting to happen that buries the genre for another 10 years.

Even if it flops, I doubt it will bury the genre. There are quite a few other space sims around. Even if it's a success the genre will never be as big as it once was, but as long as they don't all end up as failures I don't think it will kill the genre.

Kahani:

1337mokro:

Even if it flops, I doubt it will bury the genre. There are quite a few other space sims around. Even if it's a success the genre will never be as big as it once was, but as long as they don't all end up as failures I don't think it will kill the genre.

I never said killing or ending the genre. I said burying it for another 10 years. As in nobody that isn't already entrenched in the genre will develop for it and we might get 1-2 good games in that entire decade.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here