"Leaked" PC Edition of GTA 5 is Actually Malware

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"Leaked" PC Edition of GTA 5 is Actually Malware

GTA 5 - Virus - Main

Rockstar hasn't even announced a PC edition of Grand Theft Auto V, but that hasn't stopped thousands of excitable gamers from attempting to pirate their very own copy.

Thousands of people have reportedly been infected by a piece of malware that's dressed up like a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V. After installation, this malevolent little program will infect a computer and attempt to secretly collect personal information. Also, it probably forces gamers to question their basic decision-making skills.

At first glance, the package seems almost genuine. The file size is big enough to look legitimate, and the "developer" has even included a flashy installation screen. Once the game is installed, though, users are asked to fork over their personal info in order to "register," and it quickly becomes clear that this isn't a copy of GTA.

Perhaps more troubling, though, is the fact that most of the package, nearly 20 gigabytes, is comprised of unverifiable data. Those files could simply be filler, but there's a very good chance that they contain even more malicious software.

Over 600,000 people have signed a change.org petition that politely asks Rockstar to consider porting GTA 5 over to the PC. So, this kind of machination isn't exactly surprising. But the fact that so many people have already been tricked is a little depressing.

I'd also like to point out that Grand Theft Auto IV didn't make its way to the Windows-based universe until seven months after it was released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. So, there's a very good chance that Rockstar is planning a little surprise for PC owners. Until then, be patient.

Source: WCCF Tech

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! It's the punishment pirates deserve AND the one they get. This made my day. Perfect time to whip this one out. It's been a while...

"You'll get no sympathy from me. You want sympathy, look in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. That's where you'll find my sympathy." Major Payne (1995)

Sounds like this heist went south.

(Song works on two levels here.)

But seriously, 20 gigs of malware? There's something poetic about how stealing a game about stealing things (and how stealing things can go wrong) goes horribly wrong.

BarbaricGoose:
Sounds like this heist went south.

(Song works on two levels here.)

But seriously, 20 gigs of malware? There's something poetic about how stealing a game about stealing things (and how stealing things can go wrong) goes horribly wrong.

This is the best anti piracy campaign I've seen.

If you stupid enough to fall for this...
You deserve what's coming to your PC.

I would say justice is served since they are filthy pirates and deserve to be punished but the theft of personal information is dangerous stuff so I am in a bit of a dilemma here.

I am just gonna say they are all horrible people and leave it at that.

I cant help but shake my head at the idiots who downloaded this obviously fake BS.

But I cant help but feel those with those who think pirates deserve identity theft are worse than the pirates.

TopazFusion:
Akbar is a Star Spawn!

Well, they sure as hell won't pay for it NOW. This isn't the action you take to get people to cooperate.

This just made my day! on the one hand we have a petition to get Rockstar to port it to PC. on the other hand we have afuckload of pirates ready to hack the shit out of this game.

Attention Rockstar, This is proof that you should just ignore that petition.

Well, to be honest, if someone was stupid enough to download that, he's stupid enough to get his PC infected anyway, so nothing really changed...

benvorbeck:
This just made my day! on the one hand we have a petition to get Rockstar to port it to PC. on the other hand we have afuckload of pirates ready to hack the shit out of this game.

Yes, because there aren't thousands of people who pirated it on the consoles, right? Seriously, console piracy is consistently glossed over, while console versions often get pirated faster than PC versions. Sure, PC piracy might be more widespread, but acting like it's a PC-only problem is silly...

I'm sure that not even the ten year old kids who fell for this are dumb enough to give out their personal info. Also, it seems to be gone, being that this happened days ago :(

I'll admit, I cackled my fucking head almost right off reading that. Einstein is proven right yet again.

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure of the former."

The only thing that would make this story even more hilarious is if someone attempted to sue Rockstar because of this. I shit you not - if something like that happens, I will die laughing.

benvorbeck:

This is a compilation of pictures of how bad console piracy has gotten. Some are from BEFORE September 17th.

Days before GTA V even released, it was pirated.

The downloads are in the millions. On consoles.

The first picture has:

18+ million downloads. Only counting the first few 1,000,000+ numbers. That is more than GTA V sold on day fucking 1. Rockstar lost, on console piracy alone, an additional 1.3 billion dollars. Not counting the used game sales that will inevitably come as well.

In fact, if my calculator is right: The number coming off that picture is 86,409,300 copies.

86/15=5.7

Which turns that 1.3 billion lost into around 7 billion dollars lost on consoles alone.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
I'll admit, I cackled my fucking head almost right off reading that. Einstein is proven right yet again.

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure of the former."

The only thing that would make this story even more hilarious is if someone attempted to sue Rockstar because of this. I shit you not - if something like that happens, I will die laughing.

"Well assholes, if you had released a PC version this wouldnt have happened!"

I could sort of see a jury going with it too sadly...

No.

I refuse to believe that anyone would be so dearth of intelligence that they would be so stupid as to fall for this.

008Zulu:
No.

I refuse to believe that anyone would be so dearth of intelligence that they would be so stupid as to fall for this.

I imagine many would have stopped the install once it started asking for personal information, hacks are made to stop you from being picked up as a pirate so questions like that should have raised some flags or at least stick in some false data.

If I were the creator of this I would have not included that part.

I realize the Escapist likes to stretch the definition of "news" these days, but seriously? Someone distributed a virus disguised as a torrent for a popular thing? That happens -literally- every time there is a popular thing for it to happen to. This is as newsworthy as memes getting posted to reddit, or idiots posting on 4chan. You might as well just post cat videos and call it news.

What I don't understand is how that download became popular. The very first bunch of people who downloaded it would immediately post downvotes, negative comments, fake flags, etc (happens with EVERY torrent) and such a thing would've never taken off, it would've simply died. Especially not something that is 18gb, that's freaking huge and people will think twice before committing to such a huge download...yes, even "them stupid pirates".

Unless...it wasn't a torrent and instead an HTTP source? Which makes even less sense because where the hell would someone upload something that huge and have it downloaded hundreds/thousands of times without the HTTP server crashing?

Ultratwinkie:

The first picture has:

18+ million downloads. Only counting the first few 1,000,000+ numbers. That is more than GTA V sold on day fucking 1. Rockstar lost, on console piracy alone, an additional 1.3 billion dollars. Not counting the used game sales that will inevitably come as well.

Those are views, not downloads. It's quite likely many people would have viewed more than one thread, or viewed the same thread several times in the course of working out which was best to download, and lurkers would be added to the tally too. I don't doubt numbers pirated were stupidly huge but there isn't really a reason to assume 18+ million from what you've posted.

JoJo:

Ultratwinkie:

The first picture has:

Those are views, not downloads. It's quite likely many people would have viewed more than one thread, or viewed the same thread several times in the course of working out which was best to download, and lurkers would be added to the tally too. I don't doubt numbers pirated were stupidly huge but there isn't really a reason to assume 18+ million from what you've posted.

86+ million views.

It would only take 18% of viewers to match what GTA V sold on day 1.

Argument is still valid. Piracy is huge on consoles, and the idea that consoles are safe is patently false. It would take over 82% of people viewing the torrent to not pirate it.

No way 82% would just drop that. Even 10% download rates equal half a billion dollars.

I both wish the person/s harm for being dicks and buy them a round of drinks for teaching the idiots that fell for this a lesson (one I hope they learn from). I'm conflicted on what to do...

This is why you should wait for trusted scene releases before you go downloading random stuff.

I agree completely with those who say downloaders of this "game" got exactly what was coming to them. If you know enough about computers to pirate a game then you should also know about the harmful kinds of software.

How do people still fall for these schemes in this day and age?

If you fall for it, you deserve it. It's a shame it didn't blow up their computers.

benvorbeck:

Yes. Because Console Titles are never pirated. Oh wait..

Seriously, its dumb kneejerk reactions like this why i hate console-gamers, and publishers..and in general the current generation of morons who buy the "piracy is killing the industry" bullshit hook, line and sinker.

Just take a cursory look at bittorrent trackers about games which are in fact console exclusive and check how many views and downloads each has on average.

Twenty Ninjas:
This is why you should wait for trusted scene releases before you go downloading random stuff.

Thats kinda the hilarious part of it. Why would people download a "leaked" PC port if Rockstar hasnt even yet announced that one is coming? I mean basic logic tells us that, first its gotta be made, then its announced, then its shipped to the stores. Any possibly "leak" would happen between announcement and when it goes on sale proper, regardless whether its a scene release or not, nobody should be that dumb to download something that isnt even announced to come out yet.

well... duh.

if you're stupid enough to download it you kinda deserve what's coming

008Zulu:
No.

Refusing to believe that there's people that dumb is futile.

Captcha: Saturday detention - Oh fuck you captcha, I didn't download this D:

Ultratwinkie:
snip

After seeing that image I am rather pissed at conceding to an argument because I was too timid to point out that the arguer dismissed my own findings of GTA Vs piracy rate without providing counter proof or any logical reasoning. Nay, I am fucking mad.

I do not frequent piracy sites because GOG has me (almost completely) covered. As such I did not actually know of any such sites beyond P.B. and could not provide much beyond said site during a lull in download rates. I do not know if this makes me ignorant or a good videogame customer.

As such, after a tangential rant, I assume that you made that picture yourself and thus I politely ask if I can use it myself because I personally do not know what the other sites are and do not believe talking further about it is a good idea on this site.

P.S. Fricking tired so please excuse my confusing syntax.

I find it hard to feel any sympathy at all at the kind of brain donors that would believe a secret version of GTA5 exists. The fact they installed a pirate version drains my sympathy even more.

Honestly, i'm laughing like Kefka at this.

Saulkar:

Ultratwinkie:
snip

After seeing that image I am rather pissed at conceding to an argument because I was too timid to point out that the arguer dismissed my own findings of GTA Vs piracy rate without providing counter proof or any logical reasoning. Nay, I am fucking mad.

I do not frequent piracy sites because GOG has me (almost completely) covered. As such I did not actually know of any such sites beyond P.B. and could not provide much beyond said site during a lull in download rates. I do not know if this makes me ignorant or a good videogame customer.

As such, after a tangential rant, I assume that you made that picture yourself and thus I politely ask if I can use it myself because I personally do not know what the other sites are and do not believe talking further about it is a good idea on this site.

P.S. Fricking tired so please excuse my confusing syntax.

Actually, I found that picture off a news site talking about the counter petition.It was posted to slam the console gamers saying piracy doesn't happen on consoles. I don't even recognize the sites on those pages beyond the pink one.

The numbers were so high I bookmarked it, because it was hard proof of how far piracy has gone on consoles.

I mean even if we use only 10% actual piracy rate with this numbers, I found that it still equals to a huge hit to Rockstar. 10% would make 1/3rd of GTA V players pirates. 18% of the total number was all it takes for there to be 15 million pirated copies. If there is at least a 18% piracy rate, GTA V would have half of its playerbase made up entirely of pirates.

And that's with me rounding the numbers down to make it easier on the calculator.

any higher than 18%, and you have more pirates than actual paying customers. And its an almost certainty that more than 18% if the views are 86 million.

Tanis:
If you stupid enough to fall for this...
You deserve what's coming to your PC.

A game that hasn't been announced is coming to come out. You're stupid enough to look if you can find it on a torrent site. You're stupid enough to download it. You're stupid enough to install it. You're stupid enough to deserve the malware.

Seriously how is is it possible to lack any kind of barriers between malware and legit software? This kinda reminds me of Windows' judgement of it. "Are you sure you want to execute this file, the origin is unknown and it may contain malware" when the company that made it is Microsoft and you downloaded it from the official Microsoft sites...

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, but I'm leaning towards crying here...

Well, anyone that downloaded that deserves the malware in all honesty, I mean, how stupid can you get?

No sympathy from me here.

Ultratwinkie:

JoJo:

Ultratwinkie:

The first picture has:

86+ million views.

It would only take 18% of viewers to match what GTA V sold on day 1.

Argument is still valid. Piracy is huge on consoles, and the idea that consoles are safe is patently false. It would take over 82% of people viewing the torrent to not pirate it.

No way 82% would just drop that. Even 10% download rates equal half a billion dollars.

You assume those views are different people, but there are also a lot of replies to those threads. A reply to a post means at least 2 views and if someone is browsing through multiple pages, refreshing the site to see if someone has answered a question or something like that a good deal of those views can be dismissed. Your reasoning is flawed because you count 1 view as 1 person and then make an arbitrary number to determine the rate of how many pirates it based on that. 1 person might make up hundreds of views on each of those threads. Someone with a crappy connection might have refreshed the page a good deal of times.

However your point is valid. Piracy isn't a PC exclusive and your image does provide enough of an indication of that even though the numbers of pirated copies is probably a lot lower than what they indicate.

Ed130:
I imagine many would have stopped the install once it started asking for personal information, hacks are made to stop you from being picked up as a pirate so questions like that should have raised some flags or at least stick in some false data.

I was more thinking; That people thought it was an actual game, that it had indeed been converted and finalized without so much as a "leaked" Tweet.

Anyone who downloads "GTA5 for PC" illegally when no legal version exists, let alone has been released itself, is an idiot. While I don't condone malicious software or viruses and wouldn't wish them on anyone ever (except spammers), I have little sympathy that some folks were caught out in this manner.

On the flipside, I loathe Rockstar for being the epitome of a horrible developer that's quite happy to treat PC gamers, the ones who made them successful, as not even second class citizens, but barely acknowledging us. I appreciate that the industry as a whole is almost as guilt, but R* don't even bother giving us ports. So bollocks to R* and bollocks to the idiots who downloaded a dodgy copy of something that doesn't exist.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here