Magic The Gathering Goes Indie, Drafts Newell In Custom Cube Madness

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Magic The Gathering Goes Indie, Drafts Newell In Custom Cube Madness

"Gabe Newell is indestructible." Yes. Yes he is.

Thanks to the twisted minds of Andy Hull, George Fan, Edmund McMillen, Kyle Pulver, Tommy Refenes, Laura Shigihara and Derek Yu, fans of Magic The Gathering now have something new to obsess over: the Indie Custom Cube. Fancy drafting Gabe Newell and Microsoft in the same deck? Sure, it's doable, but don't be surprised if you hear screams of agony emanating from somewhere in Washington state. Good thing Newell's indestructible.

The cards you see here are just a small sampling of the 360 unique cards available in the Cube. The idea came from many happy evenings playing MtG. The devs joked about how fun it would be to create cards based on their corner of the industry, and after a while the idea took root. Before long there was a Google document to keep track of what everyone was doing and, as everyone knows, once a Google doc has been created, madness follows. The team took care not to create multiples of, say, Jon Blow or Super Meat Boy; the idea was to have fun, not to kill the concept with a multitude of cloned characters.

This thing was playtested at GDC 2013, and it's been tweaked a time or two since then. "Hopefully, you'll enjoy the cube as much as we do!" says the team. Fancy a shot? There's a whole mess of cards just over here.

Source: Indie Custom Cube

"Gabe Newell cannot attack unless you control exactly three creatures"

Oh, this is amazing and awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I got a very good laugh out of Phil Fish's Rage. xD

Not so sure about the Microsoft card...doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to play it. But of course, that might be the joke. A 5/5 for 6 mana and cumulative upkeep? Sure it lets you draw cards when it comes out, but it's still too pricey for it's worth if you ask me. Again, that could very well be the joke of the card. :P

Oh man, I don't even play MTG, and I very much enjoyed looking all of these. :D

Particularly the Phil Fish related ones.

RJ 17:

Not so sure about the Microsoft card...doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to play it. But of course, that might be the joke. A 5/5 for 6 mana and cumulative upkeep? Sure it lets you draw cards when it comes out, but it's still too pricey for it's worth if you ask me. Again, that could very well be the joke of the card. :P

Oh yeah, its a joke.

Overkill much?

Ed130:

RJ 17:

Oh yeah, its a joke.

Overkill much?

What's REALLY surprising is that EA is...actually...pretty fucking badass. 5/7 Vigilance for 6, tap it to put a Cubicle Counter on target creature, and creatures with Cubicle Counters can't attack or block.

I hate to be "that guy", because these cards are awesome, but... if these cards were designed with the program I think they were (the Magic Set Editor), then a lot of these cards need artist or illustrator credit.

Wow, that backstabbing business partner one looks amazing. I want that in my deck.

How does one actually go about drafting something like this? Me and the guys from Gamestop all play Magic together, and I'm certain that we would all love to draft this. Would be rather hilarious.

Kengaskhan:
I hate to be "that guy".

If that's true, then why are you being "that guy"?

Looks pretty interesting, I'll definitely look the set over to see what other madness they've come up with. Although I have to ask, how exactly does a Legendary Instant work? You can only play one per turn? You can only play one on the stack and playing another will fizzle one or the other?

RJ 17:

Kengaskhan:
I hate to be "that guy".

Do you really need someone to spell out the nuances of his statement for you?

Even if it is the greatest thing to grace cards and has totally won awards, surely the Phil Fish card needs to be retired?

RJ 17:

Kengaskhan:
I hate to be "that guy".

As a moderator for the Magic Set Editor forums, I kind of have a vested interest in the program not getting a C&D order or the like from anyone. We've got a strict "you must credit the illustrator" policy (among other things) in order to prevent this from happening.

It's not the easiest thing to enforce, since most of the custom card creation actually happens off of the site, but if a MSE project that doesn't properly credit gets enough publicity that I don't have to actively scour the web to find it (like this one), then the least I can do is try to get them to credit the artists.

RatherDull:
Wow, that backstabbing business partner one looks amazing. I want that in my deck.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you also see some of the clever strategies that could be used by comboing it with certain other cards.

EDIT: Example: Use these cards on it:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Crippling+Blight
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Sinister+Possession
http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Blood+Reckoning

I don't really play Magic anymore, but I'd love to draft with these. Or just own them for the humour factor.

Storm Dragon:

RatherDull:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you also see some of the clever strategies that could be used by comboing it with certain other cards.

Well, in a 1v1 game it's going to attack the caster every turn, so the caster will get to draw an additional card each turn for the price of taking 1 damage for it. Of course you're damaging yourself, but those extra cards are often very helpful.

Edit: Those cards you mentioned do make the card quite a lot more useful, though.

This is awesome, although it appears that many of these cards are way overpowered. I guess I have thought that about other real cards, but a number of these seem game breaking. It looks fun to have a match with these cards though.

DjinnFor:

RJ 17:

Kengaskhan:
I hate to be "that guy".

Do you really need someone to spell out the nuances of my joke for you?

female cat furry? You mean "Anthropomorphic" Since Anthropomorphic is the race. furry = group not a race.

People still haven't understood this yet. XD

RJ 17:

DjinnFor:

RJ 17:

Do you really need someone to spell out the nuances of my joke for you?

OH JUST KISS ALREADY.

But some of these seem absolutely hilarious, in what they are and in their potential use.

I want a full set right now.

Storm Dragon:

RatherDull:

Definitely the latter.

CharrHearted:
female cat furry? You mean "Anthropomorphic" Since Anthropomorphic is the race. furry = group not a race.

You fool! Haven't you learned anything?!

It's hard to pinpoint the exact time and place, but somehow, during the past half decade, EVERYTHING that consists of an animal possessing human traits, is furry. So sayeth the collective ignorance of the internet!

Disney? Furry.
Don Bluth films? Furry.
Warcraft's Werewolfs, Tauren and Pandaren? Furry.
Blacksad? Furry.
Art Spiegelman's Maus? Furry.
Tony the Tiger? Furry.

Final Fantasy IX? Is that a walking and talking hippopotamus I see roaming your beautifully rendered CG backdrops? Furry.

Welcome to the next generation slick, in case you hadn't noticed, it's going to hurt.

Shouldn't Gabe Newell be something like "T Copy a nonland permanent you control only one of. If you control three or more nonland permanents with the same name, sacrifice Gabe Newell."

CharrHearted:

"Anthropomorphic" is not a race. Anthropomorphism is attribution of human form or other characteristics to anything other than a human being. That's what the word means. The word derives from the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human", and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".

Yes I looked it up to post this.

Saying everything that's "Anthropomorphic" is a race means if I glue googly eyes to my toaster, thus anthropomorphizing it, it's now part of that race. That's absolutely absurd.

I wish I played Magic so I could see how these jokes apply to the game.

I did enjoy the tongue-in-cheekness of these cards, though.

Not sure if that Phil Fish one is in good fun, which makes it a very poor magic card.

Souplex:
Shouldn't Gabe Newell be something like "T Copy a nonland permanent you control only one of. If you control three or more nonland permanents with the same name, sacrifice Gabe Newell."

Kinda feel like some kind of devotion should be in play, god and all. If your devotion to any colour is greater than 2 he isn't a creature perhaps?

Valve Time -Enchantment- Players skip the second main phase of each turn

Bitches don't know about my Infernal_Spawn_of_Evil!

That's hilarious. Phil Fish leaves the industry because he was tired of getting trolled, only to get trolled even harder because of it.

And by a professional company, no less!

Damn these cards are OP xD. Gabe gonna be new EDH staple?

Minecraft Zombie going in my mono black control deck ASAP. And... I actually wish Backstabbing business partner's ability was put on a real card xP. That looks like it'd be loads of fun.

Phill Fishes rage was pretty hilarious, and I laughed when I saw Gabe Newel in a plus sized HEV suit.

Awww... they took it down. I have no idea what happened, they simply removed it.

It was a really great idea too...
Lacked Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Double Fine though.

Knight Templar:
Not sure if that Phil Fish one is in good fun, which makes it a very poor magic card.

Souplex:

Kinda feel like some kind of devotion should be in play, god and all. If your devotion to any colour is greater than 2 he isn't a creature perhaps?

Valve Time -Enchantment- Players skip the second main phase of each turn

He probably shouldn't be a god.
I've got it!
"T Copy a nonland permanent you control only one of.
For every nonland permanent you control one of, Gabe Newell gets +1+1.
For every nonland permanent you control two of, Gabe Newell gets +2+2.
For every nonland permanent you control three or more of Gabe Newell gets -3-3."

Double post due to site issues.
Curses.

Storm Dragon:

RatherDull:

There is an issue with this combo set, the second and third would both be a good plan, but if you reduce the attack to 0 then the BBP wouldn't deal any combat damage and you wouldn't get the benefit of drawing a card, unless that was the point.

Also is it just me that the link to the site doesn't work for? I just get an error when I click the reference, or try to open the picture from earlier in this thread.

EDIT: Never mind I just saw the tweet about it being taken down, how sad that I missed it,

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here