Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Writer Returns for Episode VII

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Writer Returns for Episode VII

Star Wars - Vader - Main

Lawrence Kasdan, one of the writers behind The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, will be returning to the Star Wars franchise for Episode VII.

The last time that we had an official announcement about Star Wars: Episode VII was back in July when John Williams was formally attached to the project. Ever since, the internet buzz has been fueled almost entirely by rumors and speculation. However, today the folks at Lucasfilm have unveiled the "master filmmaking team" who will be creating the next Star Wars film.

Much of the crew is made up of people who have worked with Abrams on previous projects, but one name should stand out to anyone who's familiar with Star Wars: Lawrence Kasdan. Kasdan worked as a screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and will be returning to co-write the script with director J.J. Abrams.

The duo is taking over for Michael Arndt, the writer behind Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Little Miss Sunshine. Arndt was originally attached to the project last November, and is supposedly working on the next two Star Wars films.

"I am very excited about the story we have in place and thrilled to have Larry and J.J. working on the script," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "There are very few people who fundamentally understand the way a Star Wars story works like Larry, and it is nothing short of incredible to have him even more deeply involved in its return to the big screen. J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right. Michael Arndt has done a terrific job bringing us to this point and we have an amazing filmmaking and design team in place already prepping for production."

Star Wars: Episode VII will begin filming in the U.K. next spring, and it's scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

Source: starwars.com

Nope. Can't tempt me while JJ is still attached to the project in any way. Especially not when people are referring to him as an "incredible storyteller." That has never been true.

RJ Dalton:
Nope. Can't tempt me while JJ is still attached to the project in any way. Especially not when people are referring to him as an "incredible storyteller." That has never been true.

Oh come on all they need to do is through in some Red Matter and a few out of context references and we're gold!

Hopefully they ignore the prequels when writing this and don't make every other character a force user. Except Chewbacca, since the whole franchise is about him. Maybe the trilogy will be Han and Chewwie hunting down Sith and having fun adventures along the way, teaching each other important lessons about friendship and teamwork and most important of all smuggling.

CriticalMiss:
Hopefully they ignore the prequels when writing this and don't make every other character a force user. Except Chewbacca, since the whole franchise is about him. Maybe the trilogy will be Han and Chewwie hunting down Sith and having fun adventures along the way, teaching each other important lessons about friendship and teamwork and most important of all smuggling.

All I want to do is watch this movie.

My biggest issue with Abrams is that he can't end his movies, but that might also be a Lindelof related problem. Kasdans involment defineately gives me just a little glimmer of hope, can't be worse than the prequels atleast.

Aside from being 20 minutes too long (could have done without the punching and the crashing spaceship...), i kinda enjoyed Into Darkness, so maybe Abrams isn't that bad afterall, i also enjoyed first half of Super 8.

CriticalMiss:

Seriously though, I hope there's still some good that can come out of this. Since the prequels didn't work for a lot of people, the franchise has to do something crazy in order to make everyone fall in love with it again.

Still rather skeptical since "Lens Flare" J.J is involved. But this gives me some hope, maybe now I won't be blinded by the lightsaber battles because J.J just decides to have a two different coloured strobe lights going on high to simulate the fight since maybe Kasdan might try to keep him in line

CriticalMiss:

Well, there is a huge expanded universe for them to use.

I mean, didn't Han and Leia's daughter go off and get trained by Bobba Fett in one book and become a really bad ass bounty hunter?

but knowing how the series has gone, we can expect everyone to be a Jedi or Sith [or just use force powers altogether], big bad is someone painfully obvious, and.....

and.....

Oh, and Ewoks were the real enemy.

You thought they were cute and cuddly?

that is the face of pure evil.

He eats your tears.....

DVS BSTrD:

RJ Dalton:

Oh come on all they need to do is through in some Red Matter and a few out of context references and we're gold!

And lens flares. Don't forget the lens flares!

Dayum, Kasdan is often credited as making Empire the badass picture that it was. Here's to hoping he can make the new Star Wars into something epic.

Unfortunately, I hate J.J. Abrams, but good luck anyway, Lawrence!

Issurru:
Still rather skeptical since "Lens Flare" J.J is involved. But this gives me some hope, maybe now I won't be blinded by the lightsaber battles because J.J just decides to have a two different coloured strobe lights going on high to simulate the fight since maybe Kasdan might try to keep him in line

Hopefully all the lightsabering will get toned down. Empire had one lightsaber battle plus a few non-dueling moments. When two people in the same room pull out their glow rods to have at it, it should be a big deal that's been built up to. The Prequels were way too casual about the things.

Kalezian:

Sorry, they already said that expanded universe is out of the picture.

I've liked most of Abrams' works, the Star Trek movies in particular. I'm still extremely skeptical about this movie, but I'm going to give it a shot because it has the Star Wars name on it. I just hope to god that it won't be as bad as Attack of the Clones.

First production meeting between Abrams and Kasdan:

Kasdan - "So what I'm thinking is starting the story with a Jedi council meeting 500 years after..."
Abrams - "Brilliant! Sounds a little boring though, and I don't think that'll allow us much use of the lens flare. And needs more lightsabers and cool-looking blaster fire. Well thanks for your help you can go now. Assistant? Bring in the 800 lighting engineers, special effects technicians, and stuntmen."

I heard they are basically re-doing Arendt's script. Too bad, that man is an excellent scriptwriter.
Still, there is hope with Kasdan. Empire was the second best of the trilogy of excellent movies. I prefer the overall lighter feel of episode 4, and it was an excellent opener to a great trilogy, so it BARELY beats out Empire in my eyes.

All in all though, there's a lot riding on this, so I'll let M take this one (Man I wish I could find a clip of Bernard Lee's M).

RJ Dalton:

That's my biggest problem so far too. While I appreciate this news, the JJ + Disney side of the equation still troubles me waaay too much to be confident in this movie yet.

He did just did too big a number on one of my top five favorite SciFi franchises for me to be comfortable with him getting control over another just yet.

Veylon:

Issurru:

Hopefully all the lightsabering will get toned down. Empire had one lightsaber battle plus a few non-dueling moments. When two people in the same room pull out their glow rods to have at it, it should be a big deal that's been built up to. The Prequels were way too casual about the things.

I would prefer a nice middle ground to it. I liked the Obi-Wan and Anakin fight at the end of the third movie instead of the one in the original trilogy between Obi-Wan and Vader. So I'll hope they don't rely too much on the fights and focus their attention elsewhere

CriticalMiss:

My Little Chewwie: Smuggling is Magic?

Issurru:

Veylon:

I would prefer a nice middle ground to it. I liked the Obi-Wan and Anakin fight at the end of the third movie instead of the one in the original trilogy between Obi-Wan and Vader. So I'll hope they don't rely too much on the fights and focus their attention elsewhere

I'll admit the duel in Episode IV was a bit underwhelming. But the one in III dragged on forever and lacked any decent conversation, which is at least half the point of a duel. Something where there's good action, it's not overly drawn out, and there's some real point to it would be great.

i'm kinda scared with JJ writing the script. Also i kinda would like to know why they kicked out Michael Arndt since he seems more competent than JJ....

RJ Dalton:

I'm willing to give JJ Abrams more of a chance then Lucas.

What they should be doing is filming Heir to the Empire, to be followed by Dark Force Rising and The Last Command. The stories are already written, they're excellent, and Grand Admiral Thrawn is the best Star Wars villain of all time.

Since there's no way in hell they're going to do that, however, I'll most likely pass.

" J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right"

I couldn't stop laughing.

I for one welcome our glistening white X-Wings, shimmering white Star Destroyers, the "OH GAWD I'M BLIND" whiter than ever Storm Troopers, and Wookies that will just be guys in leather jackets with goatees. Let's face it, they didn't give this over to JJ because they didn't see how he's rebooted the classics.

RJ Dalton:

Spat up a little.

J.J. of course is an incredible storyteller in his own right

Generic Hollywood handjob of a compliment. Abrams has been known for a lot of things. Reboots. Retcons. Rip-offs. Lens flares. Sorytelling isn't one of them.

Well considering JJ Abrams is probably one of the biggest examples of what I like to call 'bandwagon hate' on the internet, I still have hope for this movie. From what it wounds like I'm guessing that Arndt probably did the story for the film and Abrams and Kasdan are using that to write the actual screenplay, which would make sense because one, that is VERY common (in fact that is one of the things that happened when Arndt wrote Toy Story 3, just with reversed roles), and two if Ardnt is working on more Star Wars films its a possability they are taking over and he is choosing to start working on the story for the next film, its possible he is of the mindset of 'OK I'm done with part one, now time to start moving on to part two and leave the rest of it to these guys'.

Either way, considering the gigantic amounts of money on the table here (this movie is literally potentially worth billions, either by reigniting a worldwide interest in Star Wars for years to come or by making people completely give up hope on the series and making the entire purchase of Lucas Film a waste of money) and considering Disney's stellar accusation of Marvel Films, I'm sure they know well enough now that if they don't bring a quality product to the table they might as well not come to the table at all, but only time will tell.

Also, Abrams wtf dude when are you gonna offer me my God damned cameo role?!?!

Billy D Williams:

Either way, considering the gigantic amounts of money on the table here (this movie is literally potentially worth billions, either by reigniting a worldwide interest in Star Wars for years to come or by making people completely give up hope on the series and making the entire purchase of Lucas Film a waste of money) and considering Disney's stellar accusation of Marvel Films, I'm sure they know well enough now that if they don't bring a quality product to the table they might as well not come to the table at all, but only time will tell.

New Star Wars will earn billions regardless of how bad or good it will be. There are lots of people who will go and see it just because it's star wars. SW fans are the most inconsistent and hypocritical group of people on our planet, not counting video gamers.

As for the treatment of the source material, well I'm guessing J.J will do anything to please the almighty model consumer. His Star Trek went full retard ignoring everything that made the show good in favour of pleasing the blockbuster crowd. And we can't say anything because his decisions are dictated by the needs of the market and market is currently dominated by people with short attention span and low tolerance for thinking, sad but true. Western Civilization FTW.

MrBaskerville:
My biggest issue with Abrams is that he can't end his movies, but that might also be a Lindelof related problem. Kasdans involment defineately gives me just a little glimmer of hope, can't be worse than the prequels atleast.

Aside from being 20 minutes too long (could have done without the punching and the crashing spaceship...), i kinda enjoyed Into Darkness, so maybe Abrams isn't that bad afterall, i also enjoyed first half of Super 8.

You mean to say it gives you...a new hope?
http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/

Sorry.

On topic, on one hand I'm pretty excited that Kasdan is involved with the writing, especially since Empire is my favorite. But Abrams is one of the writers too? Eh...I just...I don't know :( I mean I enjoyed the Star Trek movies reasonably enough but I'd rather he not be involved with the script..

RJ Dalton:

1) Hes mostly a producer/director not a writer.

2) He was around for like half of the first season of lost before disappearing to go do other projects. And his only credits are co-writing the pilot and the first episode of season 3. So no one can really blame him for Lost going crazy and petering out at the end.

3) I thought Super 8 was a good movie, and it is the project he has had the most creative control over.

4) He's at least partially responsible for this:

Which is one of the best opening sequences of any movie.

Wow, there's a vague chance now that this won't COMPLETELY suck (like the prequels did).

To be honest, I don't think JJ can be as bad a Lucas, so at least it will be better than the prequels.
The major problem I had with his Star Trek reboots, it that he tried to make it an action movie and not the cerebral show that deals with morality and science.

Star Wars is more of an action movie than Star Trek, so really all he has to do is not have any lenses flare or "Apple store ships" and have fun and interesting characters.

Also I'd like for them to try and keep with the EU for the most part, because if they get the Solo-Skywalker kids wrong I'll be disappointed.

While absolutely none of this is 'new' news by any means, I guess it is nice to see it officially stated. The more of the original team they can get back together the better.

RJ Dalton:

The best thing about Arndt being on this project is that he is the person most responsible for calling Lucas out on BS. Empire was the movie Lucas hated the most and it was largely due to how vocal the crew was when he tried to add in stupid things or push it in a bad direction. Maybe they can pull off the same "Lets make our own good movie while the leads are over there moping" stunt. I agree though, great movies don't happen JUST because of one visionary, it's when the whole team understands the vision and pitches in together.

RJ Dalton:

I have to agree with you. His Star Trek movies were a horrible wreck which is odd, because the "movies" were the best parts about Star Trek before he came along. (Abrams = c-c-c-combo breaker!)

In the spirit of, "I want to believe", I will totally watch the damn movie. However, after the Phantom Menace(+) debacle I don't see myself quivering with geek excitement for these new attempts to revive this setting. As far as Star Wars "movies" go, I feel like it was complete with Return Of The Jedi and continued nicely through books, comics and fan films.

Kalezian:

CriticalMiss:

I mean, didn't Han and Leia's daughter go off and get trained by Bobba Fett in one book and become a really bad ass bounty hunter?

but knowing how the series has gone, we can expect everyone to be a Jedi or Sith [or just use force powers altogether], big bad is someone painfully obvious, and.....

and.....

Oh, and Ewoks were the real enemy.

You thought they were cute and cuddly?

that is the face of pure evil.

He eats your tears.....

Jaina Solo did get trained by Boba Fett, but not to become a bounty hunter. She took the training to kill her brother, Jacen, who had gone to the dark side and become Darth Cadeus. Boba was only more than happy to help train one of Han Solo's kids to kill another of Han Solo's kids. Especially seeing as how Jacen (Darth Cadeus) interrogated his daughter to death. You dont do that to Boba, and walk away.

Back to the thread, I think this is FANTASTIC news. Kasdan is who needs to be doing this, anyway. He helped craft Empire, for petes sake, and that one is the best of the bunch!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here