Nintendo Says Online Multiplayer Is "Not A Focus This Time"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mario 3D World 09

It was a focus last time?

Speaking with Kotaku, Nintendo crazed creative Shigeru Miyamoto talked about multiplayer in the upcoming Wii U exclusive: Super Mario 3D World. Miyamoto had previously talked about how he was against adding online multiplayer in Pikmin 3 because reasons, and it looks like he is standing firm on that stance with his latest Mario platformer.

"While online play is certainly technically possible for us, it simply wasn't the focus for us this time around," Miyamoto said. "What we really wanted to do was to create something that people could experience fully while playing comfortably with others who were nearby them, and this is something we decided would be best for Pikmin and the best case for Mario here as well."

"Now that is to say the answer to this question might change in 10 years time, if there's a future game where for example we don't think it's important to be able to see the face of the person you're playing with, then we might be able to focus more on some online function there. But for right now our focus is really on a comfortable play experience with people in the same room," he added.

This certainly does not help the theory that Nintendo doesn't understand the internet, as evidenced by its sub-par online system for the Nintendo Wii. With the rise of online voice chat, and some manufacturers even incorporating video chat services such as Skype, the decision to not add online multiplayer even as an option seems pretty shallow and backward.

Source: Kotaku

given how many games ram 'online multiplayer' down your throat like its the only mode that matters.

i'm ok with this.

When was it EVER a focus?

Lunar Templar:
given how many games ram 'online multiplayer' down your throat like its the only mode that matters.

i'm ok with this.

Also this

I'd accuse the dozens of AAA games shoehorning in multiplayer (almost always behind some sort of online pass) of being shallow before I'd accuse Nintendo of being shallow for not including it...

Pokemon X/Y has been handling online pretty well, so I don't think it's that they can't handle it. It's most likely a matter of costs and just refusal to actually implement it. That being said, most of the games wouldn't actually benefit from it. Would online multiplayer REALLY make Pikmin 3 any better, or would it quickly be forgotten a month later? Do you REALLY want to deal with lag in a Mario game?

No online for StarFox 64 3D is still bullshit, though...

Anyone who has played New Super Mario Bros multiplayer can tell you why online multiplayer is a bad idea.

Also who says I actually want video chat? I've had this option on my computers and laptops for years and I have used it once as a joke.

Being able to play with people in the same room is GREAT, Miyamoto, sure, we get it. But how often do most of us actually GET to have that experience? I have plenty of friends, but you know what? Many of my friends are college graduates who work, and getting together happens a great deal less often than it did. Not even giving us the option to play online is obnoxious and stubborn, and in 2013 is just kind of ridiculous.

Multiplayer can work...

MOBA community
FPS online community
Trollers
Hackers
People of all ages with potty mouths

Now I remember why i do not like online mutiplayer

Also have a thing about socializing with people I have never seen face to face. I have many 'friends' on my list I do not play sith.

Communities can be shitty, but they can also be awesome. And again, you always have the option to play with your real-life friends.

Why do people think just because we have the interwebz that we needz t3h multiplayer? I'd rather dev's just make a game and if it organically fits an online-multiplayer mode, by all means but don't dare think its required. Single player and couch-coop is as much fun and requires little extra. Especially with all the games out there with defunct multiplayer modes...

SurrealFactory:
Communities can be shitty, but they can also be awesome. And again, you always have the option to play with your real-life friends.

Exactly this. I want to play multiplayer with my friends, but it's very difficult (or in some cases, impossible) to get us all in the same room together.

Well, because they want to focus on making a good Mario game. Yes, it has a multiplayer element, but Mario is and has always been a mostly single player game. And that Nintendo keeps it that way, knowing that single player is the basis of the game, is great for me. THe last Mario games have that multiplayer posibility and while fun, I still mostly play the game by myself jumping like an idiot and having great fun. I think that this is great. Not all games have to have multilpayer on-line. I love that Nintendo keeps the focus in either single player or local mulitplayer, because, even if harder to do those things are awesome and must stay with the gaming landscape. Online is fun and there are limitations to loal multiplayer, sure, but that doesn't mean that every game should have that option. Mario isn't a game for that. New Super Mario Bros. would've been a drag with online multiplayer, eveyrone running, doing their thing and lagging, everyone finishing at their pace. Screen trolling, control trolling, and every single feature that made that game a fun multilpayer (even if you wanted to kill all your friends after playing) would be annoying or undoable online. I know it is hard, but sitting and playing with firends, yelling at each other, is still a great activity that online can't mimic, no matter how muh video chat or chat you have. I applaud that they do it the way they think it benefits the game, not the way that the market trends. Bravo Nintendo. I ompeltely disagree with this being shallow, it was a great all. This is why I love Nintendo.

Eh, I don't have a problem with this. Split-screen is a dying practice that desperately needs to stay relevant in whatever ways it can. Nintendo is the undisputed king of local multiplayer, and they should focus on their strengths rather than placing it elsewhere.

Sad, have friends here that I would gladly play some games with online, like the new Super Mario World, but alas...

We can always wait for Mario Kart 8 and the new Super Smash Bros.

Too bad, I have many friends overseas with their consoles I could play multiplayer with but none in my local area.

Apparently nintendo doesn't acknowledge friends across borders. Ah well, least it looks fun, but I don't think I'd be able to share it with anyone.

itsmeyouidiot:
Eh, I don't have a problem with this. Split-screen is a dying practice that desperately needs to stay relevant in whatever ways it can. Nintendo is the undisputed king of local multiplayer, and they should focus on their strengths rather than placing it elsewhere.

I'm torn between this response and "at least they should perhaps make it an option?". I dunno.

I certainly think that Nintendo shouldn't make online multiplayer a *focus* of any kind. That would seem both totally out of character and to be playing to their weaknesses.

But anyway. I don't even like online multiplayer so this kind of thing doesn't bother *me*.

Lunar Templar:

i'm ok with this.

I concur, also personally I play games mostly to relax, and I relax best on my own, and when it comes to multiplayer, I prefer local anyway,

Steven Bogos:

Mario 3D World 09

Speaking with Kotaku, Nintendo crazed creative Shigeru Miyamoto talked about multiplayer in the upcoming Wii U exclusive: Super Mario 3D World. Miyamoto had previously talked about how he was against adding online multiplayer in Pikmin 3 because reasons, and it looks like he is standing firm on that stance with his latest Mario platformer.

[...]

This certainly does not help the theory that Nintendo doesn't understand the internet, as evidenced by its sub-par online system for the Nintendo Wii. With the rise of online voice chat, and some manufacturers even incorporating video chat services such as Skype, the decision to not add online multiplayer even as an option seems pretty shallow and backward.

I think this article is quite misleading. Miyamoto was just talking about Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World. It's a huge jump from miles away saying Nintendo doesn't want to go for online experiences period. Seeing the headline I imagined they would not implement online in Smash Brothers 4 lol.

Certainly, there are genres where online functionality is a must-have: beat'em ups, fps etc.
But there are also genres that don't need online stuff. What benefit would online modes give in Zelda? Hell, waaaay back Mario 64 didn't even have any local multiplayer options and it was perfect the way it is. Same can be said about Mario Galaxy. Not every single game released these days has to shove down social applications everybody's throat and try to 'connect' everybody. Fan communities existed before the advent of online voice chat as well: simply by making the game a good experience. It's good that Nintendo adds online to games where it makes sense (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash etc.) as opposed to adding it everywhere mindlessly.

It sounds more and more like Nintendo are probably battening down the hatches for a Wii/Gamecube situation again, their promise of attracting the PS3/360 crowd this time is fading pretty fast.

In the end this is only a handful of games, and many games shouldn't have multiplayer, but Nintendo have already lost all the third party publishers, if they don't make games directed at the target audience of those publishers, they aren't going to regain them. And being able to play games with your friends online if you're too busy or too far away to visit their house is something a lot of P3/360 people value

Good for Nintendo. I feel one of the biggest things that have fucked up gaming in the past several years is the obligatory addition of multiplayer features simply for the sake of having multiplayer.

Good. I can safely say that local multiplayer is always more fun than online. Nothing like talking shit to your friends and laughing your asses off!

Some of the most fun I've had was playing Battle Block Theater with a friend.

What's with the editorial slant? I haven't owned a Nintendo product since the Gamecube, but I would agree this decision is laudable. If something cannot be done at the quality you require given the time and budget, then you do not add it in.

If a company says X isn't a focus, you acknowledge it and move on, not lament them. Go to a competitor where x is a focus if it bothers you so much. They're being open and transparent on their game and focusing on their priorities; this demonstrates awareness, organization, and effective leadership.

Steven sounds bitter.

Nintendo puts in online when it makes sense. One of the few companies that does that instead of wasting time and money putting in useless and unwanted online guff.

Vyress:

Steven Bogos:

Mario 3D World 09

[...]

I think this article is quite misleading. Miyamoto was just talking about Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World. It's a huge jump from miles away saying Nintendo doesn't want to go for online experiences period. Seeing the headline I imagined they would not implement online in Smash Brothers 4 lol.

Certainly, there are genres where online functionality is a must-have: beat'em ups, fps etc.
But there are also genres that don't need online stuff. What benefit would online modes give in Zelda? Hell, waaaay back Mario 64 didn't even have any local multiplayer options and it was perfect the way it is. Same can be said about Mario Galaxy. Not every single game released these days has to shove down social applications everybody's throat and try to 'connect' everybody. Fan communities existed before the advent of online voice chat as well: simply by making the game a good experience. It's good that Nintendo adds online to games where it makes sense (Pokemon, Mario Kart, Smash etc.) as opposed to adding it everywhere mindlessly.

that audience you are talking about only care about SONY or MS, they have no interest in going anywhere, especially since the PS4 and XBO are more powerful, they only care about graphics and realism, not true innovation, yes i do think that the Wii U is quite innovative with it's controller and how lag free it is, and with the added functionality. i understand that the PS4 does the same thing with the Vita, but we will have to wait to see how well implemented it is.

Keiichi Morisato:

Vyress:

that audience you are talking about only care about SONY or MS, they have no interest in going anywhere, especially since the PS4 and XBO are more powerful, they only care about graphics and realism, not true innovation, yes i do think that the Wii U is quite innovative with it's controller and how lag free it is, and with the added functionality. i understand that the PS4 does the same thing with the Vita, but we will have to wait to see how well implemented it is.

Audience? o.o
I was talking about how some game genres don't need online shenanigans whereas others should have them and how Miyamoto was only talking about Pikmin 3D and Super Mario 3D World not going for online, 2 games where it's reasonable to not implement them - unlike what the headline and the article suggests: which would be Nintendo avoiding online as a whole.

I didn't talk about any kind of audience. Or innovation. Only that games can also have a following and appreciate a game together (a fan community) without any implemented online social applications by just having created a very good enjoyable game, for instance like back then when all those online shenanigans didn't even exist on console games.

Honestly, the only Nintendo games that benefit from online multiplayer are Pokemon, Mario Kart, SSB, and for some reason Mario Party.

Other than that I don't care.

If I want to play with friends online I go play TF2, or the slew of other AAA games that shoehorn the thing in there for the sake of a selling point.

I don't know why everyone is raging pissed that Nintendo isn't doing it for SM3DW, yet everyone threw a bitch fit about the new Lara Croft game having a multiplayer and saying that it shouldn't of been there in the first place.

EDIT: I'm not saying Mario Party had online multiplayer. But if it did, that would be great.

Given how voice-enabled online multiplayer was at the center of almost everything that went wrong in generation 7, I don't see why Nintendo needs to tell us the reason.

I havn't played much nintendo since the 90s but I always did it with a friend or family member. Even if it's something like a modern "pass the controller after death" these guys need to take advantage of the how fun their games are with buds.

SecondPrize:
I havn't played much nintendo since the 90s but I always did it with a friend or family member. Even if it's something like a modern "pass the controller after death" these guys need to take advantage of the how fun their games are with buds.

Nintendo are still champions of local multiplayer. You can get 4 people on a couch and play their games, they're just saying that online isn't a focus for a lot of their games. I'd be willing to bet that games that should have online will still have online, of course.

Why are people condemning a feature that people would enjoy. Split Screen (or shared screen in this cause) multiplayer is great, but some people do have friends elsewhere. Online multiplayer is not just racist 12 year olds yelling in Cod. Look at games like Dark Souls for inventive online implementation in a predominately single player game. Should they be forced to include online, no, but it is a great feature for people that want to play with their friends elsewhere. I am curious to see how Smash 4 multiplayer is. A competitive game like that would benefit so much from a great online system, but I don't know if Nintendo (I guess Namco) really has the experience to pull that off. Actually it would seem almost like a complete wasted opportunity if that game does not have lag free, competitive online multiplayer where you can actually choose which gametype to play (who wants to play time).

Benpasko:

SecondPrize:

Nintendo are still champions of local multiplayer. You can get 4 people on a couch and play their games, they're just saying that online isn't a focus for a lot of their games. I'd be willing to bet that games that should have online will still have online, of course.

I wouldn't expect the actual "pass teh controller" to be less fun than it was. I'm just saying I'd own a nintendo console if you could play most of their games with friends online as well as on the couch.
edit- They don't need the kind of tacked-on deathmatch multiplayer many game devs seem to feel is necessary but I think they're pretty fucking stupid not to take advantage of the the advances in technology and infrastructure that have made online multiplayer ubiquitous on every other platform.

Its ok, adults that would have bought a wiiu and play super Mario wouldn't have any friends to play with anyway, they most likely would be playing it with themselves or with children they kidnap from the playground.

I can tell that everyone here is jumping up to defend Nintendo without a second thought, but truth is, i would love to play a Mario game online with one of my buddys out of town, even if it amounted to just taking turns like in the old Mario games and watching the other person play while still chating with them.

The article is a bit mis-leading, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS are going to have the most involved online multiplayer Nintendo has ever had. Also, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X & Y, all of them are handheld games, yes, but they all have really good online multiplayer.

But Nintendo, work on that voice chat, you had it on Wii with Wii speak, I never bothered with that but I know for a fact that there is an official Wii headset for voice chat (I have it, it plugs into the USB ports and only worked with a few games). You launched the official Turtle Beach earforce NL9s and N11s for Wii U, but no voice chat in games yet? What?

You want to know what one of the most disappointing gaming moments of the year for me? Finding out that Payday 2 didn't have LOCAL multiplayer.

SurrealFactory:
Being able to play with people in the same room is GREAT, Miyamoto, sure, we get it. But how often do most of us actually GET to have that experience? I have plenty of friends, but you know what? Many of my friends are college graduates who work, and getting together happens a great deal less often than it did. Not even giving us the option to play online is obnoxious and stubborn, and in 2013 is just kind of ridiculous.

Its fairly simple really, this box isnt aimed at adults, its aimed at children and teens. The majority of their friends are local, so split screen makes sense for them.

OK, I'll say this one more time. The Mario multiplayer experience that has been done untill now is not a good match to online multilpayer experience. Online, each player can take it's route and do their thing, going around the elevel at their pace. Maybe you coordinate, but you are autonomous. That is true in eveyr good online multilpayer, from TF2 to Street Fighter to MOBAs. Mario multiplayer si about being in the same area, and while you are your own in that area, you are not autonomous, if you advance quickly everyone advances quickly or dies, others respawning is based in you fellow players actions. If there weren't for these contraints, it wouldn't be fun to play. In online play those elements, what makes these Mario games fun and chaotic to play would be lost, making it meaningless. If everine is playing at their stride, it is no better than playing independnet games while in the phone. That is not how Mario works. It would be detrimental to the gameplay. You may like the idea, but unless you've played the other mulitplayer Mario's and see how they really work, then just don't say without thinking that it should have it. It wouldn't work. So goo for Nintendo for sticking to their guns in this one.

To anyone who thinks Mario with online multiplayer would be fun: Go watch an episode, any episode really, of The Runaway Guys playing a New Super Mario Bros. game. Notice how many times each of them die, how they shout and laugh at each other in the process. Now try to imagine how well they would react to those deaths if the other players were faceless "Player 2 and player 3" on the other end of some internet connection rather than somebody laughing with them on a couch.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here