Next Pokemon Title is a Detective Game With Pikachu

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Next Pokemon Title is a Detective Game With Pikachu

Detective Pikachu

Updates for the mysterious Pikachu game reveal players team up with Pikachu to defeat a different, evil Pikachu.

Pikachu quit its day job to become a detective. In the next 3DS Pokemon game, players will act as a detective with Pikachu by their side. In a profile of Pokemon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara, Japanese broadcast company NHK revealed a demo for the in-development game featuring Pikachu.

Development for the game started over the summer, and the development cycle is expected to last two years, meaning the game will launch in 2015. The game was teased last week before the TV program aired today. A screenshot showed a Pikachu mimicking human facial gestures. According to Serebii, a talking blue Pikachu will be controlled through facial recognition and motion capture.

In the detective adventure, the player will have to defeat an evil version Pikachu with the help of a Pikachu. Ishihara earlier stated he had concerns that the new game could damage Pikachu's popularity. During the program, Ishihara said he could not see people liking the enemy Pikachu.

The game is still in early development, meaning many things could change by its release. Hopefully the facial recognition Pikachu won't be as scary as the previous screenshot showed.

The program also revealed a beta version of a sequel to Pokemon Trozei! -- released in Europe as Pokemon Link! -- a puzzle game for the DS similar to Tetris. No details were shared about the game, but it will likely be a downloadable release.

It's nice to see Pikachu has the luxury to take a break from shocking opponents in Pokemon to lend its skills for sleuthing.

Source: Serebii via Nintendo Life

"Hey Bob, I've this neat game idea where you play as a detective, and it utilizes facial capturing technology and everything, it could be revolutionary!"

"Does it use an established IP? We can't take anything so crazy as a risk, we're Nintendo for Christ's sake!"

"Well, no, but-"

"Well slap Pikachu on it and brand it as a Pokemon game then! Kids are stupid, they'll eat it up."

And then they greenlit another 12 HD re-releases.

Ishihara said he could not see people liking the enemy Pikachu

Surely that is a good thing, what with him being a villain?

roseofbattle:
According to Serebii, a talking blue Pikachu will be controlled through facial recognition and motion capture.

Pikablu is finally real! =P

I shouldn't have to clarify this, but I will anyway, yes I know that was Marill

Anyway, I'm certainly intrigued by the idea. Whether or not it turns out to be any good or not, we shall have to wait and see.

Phrozenflame500:
"Hey Bob, I've this neat game idea where you play as a detective, and it utilizes facial capturing technology and everything, it could be revolutionary!"

"Does it use an established IP? We can't take anything so crazy as a risk, we're Nintendo for Christ's sake!"

"Well, no, but-"

"Well slap Pikachu on it and brand it as a Pokemon game then! Kids are stupid, they'll eat it up."

And then they greenlit another 12 HD re-releases.

Yeah this seems like an... odd fit for a Pokemon game. >_>

Pokemon sanp and the mystery Dungeon series at least make use of all the OTHER hundreds of pokemon, besides just the yellow mascot. You could replace Pikachu with a dog, and you would only not have to make obligatory "puzzles relating to electricity." Why not Nintendogs? That sounds like a more logical fit for this game.

I also wonder how this managed to be leaked, when normally Nintendo keeps a iron tight lid on it's game development (which doesn't seem so tight only because of how predictable the company has become).

... It isn't April 1st. This totally feels like one of those prank articles. I can't believe they didn't just create a new IP. Well, I can, but it just means my interest in Nintendo remains the same.

I wish they would retire pikachu and put another of the 700 critters in the spotlight because really, fuck pikachu.

Unscramble these five Pokemon names, one letter to each square
Now arrange the letters in the pokeballs to find out the identity of the killer.

Oh god, I hope they make the facial recognition better than Pokemon-Amie. Because If that's one of the primary methods of control this is gonna suck.

Interesting idea, tho I'm more excited for a Pokemon Trozei sequel.

"you team up with Pikachu to beat an evil Pikachu"

You can tell they bust out their best writers for this one.

Seriously, wish this guy would stop being so anal about Pikachu's popularity, pretty sure he gave no fucks with all the villain Pokemon in the mystery dungeon games.

One will be teaming up with you anyway, so whats the problem? Wish you could choose a partner though (from a selection of starters perhaps) Because Pikachu annoys the crap out of me (can't wait to evolve mine in Pokemon Y once it learns Light Screen, that damn voice has been grating for ages)

It sounds interesting... but as much as I like Piakchu... couldn't they give another Pokemon the starring role?

Lightknight:
... It isn't April 1st. This totally feels like one of those prank articles. I can't believe they didn't just create a new IP. Well, I can, but it just means my interest in Nintendo remains the same.

You expected Gamefreak to make a big new IP that wasn't Pokemon or some indie title like Horse Race Solitaire?

They literally started development of this game during the summer. If the thing has two years to go...why on Earth would you bother to reveal what little plot point they have for the game?

"Your a detective with a Pikachu, going against an evil Pikachu" I mean. That sounds really....eh?

They have two years so I'm really not going to dig into this.

Personally I would be more interested if it were Pokemon Snap U or something. Not a new IP in the slightest, but really, a lot of the N64 fans are pining for that game.
Perhaps Satoshi- along with a vendetta against consoles for Pokemon- has a special distaste in his heart for Pokemon Snap.

I trust that there will be several shocking discoveries during the case.

(I regret nothing)

Dragonbums:

Personally I would be more interested if it were Pokemon Snap U or something.

YES!

Yeeeeees. I would buy a Wii U for a new Pokemon Snap game. I'd probably feel like a twelve year old buying it at the store, so I'd have to compensate by resting my scrotum on the counter while paying.

But seriously. Yes.

anonymity88:
I trust that there will be several shocking discoveries during the case.

(I regret nothing)

Your pun has been noted and the appropriate authorities have been informed.

Pikachu Wright?

Sherlochu?

As long as Pikachu yell out objection I'll be happy man.

In the end it turns out the evil Pikachu was a Ditto the whole time.

CSI: Lavender Town.

Sounds kind of cool, I guess. The only pokemon game I had as a kid was pokemon snap. Loved the TV show, though.

...Looker?

I can see this being interesting if they take full advantage of it taking place in the Pokemon-world. Don't just have Pikachu, have cases where you find a molten lock or something and have to determine if it was made by a fire-pokemon or a blowtorch, or a closed room mystery where the culprit could be a ghost-pokemon or a teleporting psychic type.

I'd actually be interested in seeing the Poke-world from a point of view of some real-world professions.

You'd think that, given the recreation of every single Pokémon in glorious 3D in Pokémon XY, they'd let us transfer our very favourite monster to do the detective work with us.

Or would that make Nintendo too much money?

Oh no, I'm having Pokemon Channel flashbacks! MAKE THEM STOP! MAKE THEM STOP! BLARRRGH!
Still not buying a 3DS, not unless the villian is the infamous Pikablue.

DVS BSTrD:
Unscramble these five Pokemon names, one letter to each square
Now arrange the letters in the pokeballs to find out the identity of the killer.

*does exactly that*
It spells out Raichu... but, that can't be right! Raichu wasn't there when that shiny Gyarados went on a rampage! Plus, that Togepi we saw earlier wasn't there when Lapras was giving that random Heracross a ride across the sea...

It's all coming together now... The real evil Pikachu is-
*gets electrocuted and left to faint on the ground*

OT: Layton better watch himself... because there's a yellow electric mouse that would really make him run to his ace atterney...

(Yeah... This is the closest I'll be to being serious about this until sometime in 2014... at least... I think... I'm not sure what to feel after this...)

Dragonbums:

Lightknight:

You expected Gamefreak to make a big new IP that wasn't Pokemon or some indie title like Horse Race Solitaire?

Given that this is basically a Nintendo IP, I would be crazy to think that they'd develop a new IP for a drastically different game.

Disapproval does not equate surprise. As stated in my post, I can believe it. It is Nintendo afterall. It's just that using their existing IPs exclusively is short minded. It means people like me grow tired of it just like I've grown tired of God of War and Halo. The difference is that the other consoles at least have a ton of alternatives to hinge on. But Nintendo? These are the same faces I've seen since I was a child.

Developing new IPs may not garner as much profit in the short term. But it is a long-term minded process that will pay out again and again. I just don't think the WiiU is strong enough to introduce new IPs with any success so perhaps this Pikachu PI isn't the worst move I've seen them make.

Loop Stricken:
You'd think that, given the recreation of every single Pokémon in glorious 3D in Pokémon XY, they'd let us transfer our very favourite monster to do the detective work with us.

Lord knows I'd be more interested in a game which gave me the option of playing a Charmeleon due to importing from X/Y than a game forcing me to play that overrated, overcommericalized yellow rat. Good Lord, I detest Pikachu.

I know I'm not the only one thinking this...but unless Looker's in this game, people are going to be disappointed.

Actually...if Looker IS in this and if there's any voice acting in this, they should blow people's minds and have David Tennant voice Looker.

Well, two years... I'll have to see. In the meantime, I want to know more about Pokken Fighters or if they'll make Pokemon Snap U.

Lightknight:

Dragonbums:

Lightknight:

Given that this is basically a Nintendo IP, I would be crazy to think that they'd develop a new IP for a drastically different game.

Disapproval does not equate surprise. As stated in my post, I can believe it. It is Nintendo afterall. It's just that using their existing IPs exclusively is short minded.

That's like complaining that Intelligent systems predominately makes Fire Emblem games. Pokemon is exclusive to Nintendo, but considering how this game is being made by Pokemon Company and Gamefreak and there were previous articles on the Escapist earlier literally saying Pokemon company was working on...you know- another Pokemon game starring Pikachu I'm not exactly sure why this is another sigh about Nintendo and lack of IP's. This game isn't coming from their in house studios. It's coming from their second party affiliates.

It means people like me grow tired of it just like I've grown tired of God of War and Halo.

I had no idea you were into Pokemon, or anything Gamefreak did at all.

The difference is that the other consoles at least have a ton of alternatives to hinge on. But Nintendo? These are the same faces I've seen since I was a child.

It's a good thing the 3DS has a bunch of other titles to choose from than Nintendo games.

Developing new IPs may not garner as much profit in the short term. But it is a long-term minded process that will pay out again and again.

And I'm fairly certain Miyamoto stated that he was going to introduce a new one in 2014. Really. Did you honestly think this Pokemon game was the IP he was talking about?
Also, this is not to mention that their newer IP's like Dillon's Rolling Western have been doing fairly good for themselves, and have been given sequels.

I just don't think the WiiU is strong enough to introduce new IPs with any success so perhaps this Pikachu PI isn't the worst move I've seen them make.

You didn't read the article at all. This isn't a Wii U game. At all. It's a 3DS game.

Jack Nief:

Loop Stricken:

Lord knows I'd be more interested in a game which gave me the option of playing a Charmeleon due to importing from X/Y than a game forcing me to play that overrated, overcommericalized yellow rat. Good Lord, I detest Pikachu.

Have you tried the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series?

Dragonbums:
That's like complaining that Intelligent systems predominately makes Fire Emblem games. Pokemon is exclusive to Nintendo, but considering how this game is being made by Pokemon Company and Gamefreak and there were previous articles on the Escapist earlier literally saying Pokemon company was working on...you know- another Pokemon game starring Pikachu I'm not exactly sure why this is another sigh about Nintendo and lack of IP's. This game isn't coming from their in house studios. It's coming from their second party affiliates.

Nintendo's 53% ownership of Game Freak is going to call shenanigans on that claim. It is, for all intents and purposes, just another Nintendo Studio. It just isn't wholly owned by them despite being wholly controlled.

I had no idea you were into Pokemon, or anything Gamefreak did at all.

Grew up with the cards, gameboys and the DS. I've been a huge Nintendo fan all my life. Only began to get disillusioned with the company around the gamecube era. Didn't have a gameboy color because I had a Sega Gamegear which I loved.

It's a good thing the 3DS has a bunch of other titles to choose from than Nintendo games.

Yes, the handheld market is the only market Nintendo is getting legitimate support for lately. I'm not talking about 3rd parties, I'm talking about Nintendo. But perhaps if you didn't know that Nintendo owns the majority share of Game Freak then you think we're still talking about an affiliate and not a child company.

And I'm fairly certain Miyamoto stated that he was going to introduce a new one in 2014. Really.

Great, one new IP per decade. Let's hope it's a good one. Pikmin was a good addition in the previous decade. I hope Miyamoto has many more decades ahead of him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_games_by_franchise

Lightknight:
Nintendo's 53% ownership of Game Freak is going to call shenanigans on that claim. It is, for all intents and purposes, just another Nintendo Studio. It just isn't wholly owned by them despite being wholly controlled.

Just because Nintendo owns half the shares, doesn't mean Miyamoto and his crew gets or inputs any say into Gamefreak.
Whenever Gamefreak does something, it's by Gamefreak's own decisions. Rarely does Nintendo butt in on any of their business. Unless it's quality control. Hence why complaining about Gamefreak and Pokemon Company making another Pokemon game is really pointless. Nintendo, like with many other of it's studios are hands off. If Gamefreak wants to continue doing Pokemon to oblivion, that is literally up to them.

Yes, the handheld market is the only market Nintendo is getting legitimate support for lately. I'm not talking about 3rd parties, I'm talking about Nintendo. But perhaps if you didn't know that Nintendo owns the majority share of Game Freak then you think we're still talking about an affiliate and not a child company.

So why are you bringing up the woes of the Wii U in an article solely talking about a 3DS game?

Great, one new IP per decade.

The man already has a huge chunk of IP's he created under his belt. That's not to talk about the other IP's he's created but we like to ignore because they are "wii casual" games like Nintendogs, Nintendo Land, and Wii Fit. All of which were all very recent IP's by him and all very successful anyway. He's a human being. Not a Intellectual Property machine.

I hope Miyamoto has many more decades ahead of him.

I do too.

Of course based on his talks his and Iwata's time at Nintendo are coming to a close. It wouldn't surprise me if by the next console generation he finally retires from the company.

Then again, their recent games were made by other producers anyway. He just made sure it was up to quality and vision. Which he has stated he isn't even needed for that anymore.

Dragonbums:

Jack Nief:

Loop Stricken:

I have, and Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of the Sky are amongst my favorite game titles. The new title, Gates to Infinity, pretty much turned me off by lacking a playable Charmander or even my backup pokemon, Totodile. Ohhh but guess who IS playable! Pikachu! Yaaaaaay...

Dragonbums:
Just because Nintendo owns half the shares, doesn't mean Miyamoto and his crew gets or inputs any say into Gamefreak.

Wrong. Owning a majority share means you can tell the company what to do and overrule any decision. It means you have 53% of the votes on any action taken and that gamefreak reports to Nintendo and no one else. Sorry, but they ARE Nintendo. The technical term is a second party development studio but since they are owned fully by Nintendo the product absolutely is equivalently first party.

So why are you bringing up the woes of the Wii U in an article solely talking about a 3DS game?

The way they handle IPs in all their studios is endemic. Does Nintendo magically cease to be Nintendo when switching between platforms?

The man already has a huge chunk of IP's he created under his belt.

Meaning no disrespect to you (only to Nintendo), I don't give a flying shit what Miyamoto has his hands full with. This is a corporation with well over 5,000 employees and a significant number of development studios whose entire job is to create content. Bottlenecking their products through one person isn't an excuse, it's a failure of a company to operate properly and a failure of Miyamoto to delegate. It's really a shame and defending their failures is only harmful to Nintendo fans. Nintendo is one of the best publishers I've ever seen if not the best. He, as brilliant as he is, is just holding them back.

Lightknight:
Wrong. Owning a majority share means you can tell the company what to do and overrule any decision. It means you have 53% of the votes on any action taken and that gamefreak reports to Nintendo and no one else. Sorry, but they ARE Nintendo. The technical term is a second party development studio but since they are owned fully by Nintendo the product absolutely is equivalently first party.

So which is it? Do they own all of Gamefreak or do they own half of it? Because half is still half. That's not a majority. That's an even number. And how do you know what say Nintendo has in what Gamefreak does? You aren't part of the development team, and you KNOW Nintendo are very hands off when it comes to what to what their studios make or don't make.

So, if Satoshi decides he wants to create Pokemon for the rest of Gamefreaks life, then you take your issue with Satoshi.

The way they handle IPs in all their studios is endemic. Does Nintendo magically cease to be Nintendo when switching between platforms?

They are endemic to you. Unfortunately in your case, people still love those IP's enough to want more. Still doesn't answer the question I asked at all. Which is why are you complaining about the Wii U in an article talking about a 3DS game.

Meaning no disrespect to you (only to Nintendo), I don't give a flying shit what Miyamoto has his hands full with. This is a corporation with well over 5,000 employees and a significant number of development studios whose entire job is to create content.

Then why not shift the blame to those producers? Why does it have to be Miyamoto that takes the brunt of the shit thrown at him when he has done plenty of new IP's? It's like the time when everyone threw crap at Jennifer Hepler because they deemed she was the one responsible for all of Bioware's writing fuck ups. No matter how prominent someone is in the company at the end of the day they are ONE PERSON in a network of people.
That is what I'm taking issues with.

Bottlenecking their products through one person isn't an excuse

How do you know they are bottlenecking everything through him? As far as he has stated, he only monitors his own IP's for quality control now. That's it. Skyward Sword? Miyamoto didn't even really involve himself in that game. It was all mostly done by some other guy. If everyone else in Nintendo decides not to do anything new, that's not Miyamoto's problem. Nor is it his fault. You can't point fingers at one person in a company, no matter how well known they are and state that they are the roots of all the problems. He is simply a game designer. Who happens to be the face of the company. However that in no way means he gets to green light or reject any new ideas.

it's a failure of a company to operate properly

If those IP's still continue to bring in the money, than clearly the company isn't a failure in any sense.
The 3DS kicked off the ground not because of new IP's or that treasured third party support. It got back on it's feet because of the host of Nintendo games that people still like enough to buy an entire system for it.

and a failure of Miyamoto to delegate.

Again, why just Miyamoto?

It's really a shame and defending their failures is only harmful to Nintendo fans.

It would only harm Nintendo fans, if they DON'T like those IP's and that's all Nintendo are making. As it stands, with the recent fact that Animal Crossing sold over 6 million copies, and Pokemon X and Y blasting through 5 million on it's first week- it stands to reason that Nintendo fans are from from being hurt by Nintendo's decision to make games they clearly still want.

Nintendo is one of the best publishers I've ever seen if not the best. He, as brilliant as he is, is just holding them back.

And once again, it is completely insane to blame A single fucking person for whatever problems you have with a company.
At this point all you have to do is switch Miyamoto with Jennifer Hepler and you have the entire Bioware fiasco all over again. Only this time the new player is Nintendo.

Let me reiterate again. Miyamoto does not involve himself in any way, shape, or form with Gamefreak/Pokemon Company. Everything Gamefreak does, is all done by Satoshi.

Satoshi is the one making this game. Him and him alone. Miyamoto has zero involvement with the game.
So again, if your that pissed that Satoshi is making a Pokemon game for the 3DS, then perhaps you want to take your complaints to him. Not hit the most visible target of Nintendo employees on the board.

Jack Nief:

Dragonbums:

Jack Nief:

I have, and Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of the Sky are amongst my favorite game titles. The new title, Gates to Infinity, pretty much turned me off by lacking a playable Charmander or even my backup pokemon, Totodile. Ohhh but guess who IS playable! Pikachu! Yaaaaaay...

Yeah.

I guess it didn't bother me as much since I like the Gen 5 Pokemon, but I was really confused as to why they made the decision to axe out all of the previous gen starters except Pikachu and the 5th gen.

Of all the Pokemon to get the axe on that front. The starters should of been relatively untouched.

Honestly, I have no clue what they were thinking with only adding 100 or so Pokemon to the mystery dungeon game. Worse yet, they didn't even have ALL of the generation 5 Pokemon.

I held on to my copy expecting a DLC expansion pack...but nope. Just a bunch of dungeons.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here