Titanfall Will Not Be Released On PlayStation 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The mere fact that Microsoft would resort to such a ploy, has now ensured that I will never purchase their new console. :|

Meh, i lost interest the minute i noticed it was more of a shooter with added mechs than a mech game with abit of shooter tacked on for the tards(since it's an obvious sales ploy to attract the halo monkies and codtards)...i'll stick to a real mech game thanks.

s_h_a_d_o:
The mere fact that Microsoft would resort to such a ploy, has now ensured that I will never purchase their new console. :|

And you seriously think that Sony doesn't do things like this, wow you are really blinded by your love of these companies.

a risky but also a smart move. microsoft are obviously betting everything on this brand new IP will eventually be as big as something like call of duty. if it turns out to be a smash hit then it pays off but if it turns out to be not exactly a good game then it will bite microsoft in the ass

Adam Jensen:
EA wants to make it into a franchise, though. So the next one will probably not be an exclusive.

So Mass Effect all over again?

Drummodino:

Shit I just realised this is an EA game. Well looks like it's gone from a purchase if on sale to another game I won't be touching.

Yeah, I too lost interest as soon as I read the letters 'EA'. Clearly not worth getting excited over.

"@TitanFallgame is exclusive. No, not a timed exclusive. It will only be available on Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PC."

Until we realize no one wants an XBone and we decide to make some actual money.

We also don't know what exclusive actually means.

Vivi22:

"@TitanFallgame is exclusive. No, not a timed exclusive. It will only be available on Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PC."

Heh. Just buy the console you want I say.

EA being greedy bastards I'm sure will find some way to wiggle out of the deal if the Xbone bombs. Heck they will probably loophole out of it even if the Xbone does OK. It's more money for them.

They did it with Mass Effect, they can do it again.

The easiest way is to slightly change the name like Capcom did with "Demon Soul" to "Dark Souls". I swear most exclusivity announcements these days are just for PR sake - the only time we will ever get true exclusivity is when the console maker owns the game's studio and the game IP.

I didn't realize it was on PC too o.o Was this a later choice? Either way, I'll be looking into it now!

Oh sure Titanfall might not see the light of day on a PS4, but what about Titanfall 2? C'mon you know that a sequal is going to happen and most likely if the PS4 becomes a successful console? It'll be on there. I'm calling it now.

EffectiveKill:

s_h_a_d_o:

And you seriously think that Sony doesn't do things like this, wow you are really blinded by your love of these companies.

Beg pardon? My statement made no mention of Sony. I'm just voting with my wallet, as consumers should.
I would suggest you are the blind one. I, for one, do not respond well to attempted extortion.

OT: To be fair, EA will also be added to my abstention list.

SirBryghtside:
Wait, it's on the PC too? And the XBox 360?

So it's not an exclusive, like they've been saying since day one? I'm confused, guess PC doesn't count any more...

Nononono, you see, it's MICROSOFT exclusive.

...this is why I'm excited for SteamOS. -__-

SirBryghtside:
snip

Dragonbums:
snip

Battenberg:
snip

When they say "exclusive", they are referring to it's exclusivity to Microsoft/EA platforms. I.E. Microsoft consoles and Origin. All other platforms and distributions are being, theoretically, ignored.

So, in this case, their use of the word is correct. One just needs to understand the context in which they're using it.

It's the equivalent of a game licensed by Sony, but developed and published by, let's say...Valve, being released solely on Playstation 3, Playstation 4, the PSP, and Steam. In this case the game is exclusive to the platforms associated with the parties involved.

Covarr:
What about Titanfall: Game of the Year Edition? Can that be released on PS4?

P.S. Thanks

Depending on how successful the game is, quite possibly. If it does well enough, and Respawn decides to go forward with ports, then they may be able to license a GOTY (or some other "special" edition) for other platforms. Assuming the deal EA, Respawn, and Microsoft have worked out doesn't prohibit all variants of the first game from being ported to non-Microsoft and EA platforms.

Yeah... this is a big deal.

To be honest, Microsoft may have won big time here. If Titanfall turns out to be what Halo and Gears of War were for the original Xbox and Xbox 360... that could result in some serious oomph on their part. The fact that its coming on the PC and 360 here is kind of not relevant; a lot of people who want a PS4 are likely in very similar circumstances to me, with a PC not powerful enough to play Titanfall and a PS3 instead of a 360. It was easily one of the biggest games coming to next-gen, and considering its not coming to the biggest competitor of Microsoft is definitely something to take note.

Despite Sony's mauling Microsoft in the PR department, what concerns me greatly right now is that the PS4 doesn't really appear to have much of an answer to Titanfall... perhaps they should have pushed to have Destiny be made a PS4 exclusive? That certainly would have got peoples attention.

s_h_a_d_o:

EffectiveKill:

s_h_a_d_o:

Beg pardon? My statement made no mention of Sony. I'm just voting with my wallet, as consumers should.
I would suggest you are the blind one. I, for one, do not respond well to attempted extortion.

OT: To be fair, EA will also be added to my abstention list.

Uhhhhh... Paying/accepting money for exclusivity is extortion now?

Better cross literally every developer that's ever made an exclusive off your buying list (Rockstar, EA, Activision, Mojang, Playdead, Jonathan Blow...), as well as Microsoft and Sony.

...And Nintendo, what with the whole Bayonetta 2 thing.

Man, you'd better hope that Valve's Linux venture turns out well. D:

I'm not particularly miffed honestly.

Wait... I thought we already knew this. Wasn't it announced as a Xbone/PC exclusive back at EA? Oh well. I wasn't interested anyway.

EffectiveKill:

s_h_a_d_o:

Sony are no angels but as it stands they're looking a lot better than Microsoft at this juncture and that's bound to make people more inclined to highlight Microsoft's less popular choices. Plus the majority of Sony's top selling exclusives (i.e. the games that actually make a difference to which console people choose) are developed by companies owned by Sony.

Realistically though I don't think Microsoft deserve all the blame here, no one seems to be questioning the ethics of EA accepting their offer, possibly against the will of the developers (hinted at in Vince Zampella's tweet). Frankly at this point the whole concept of exclusives seems somewhat archaic to me and harmful to the consumer. A game will never reach its full potential if it is tethered to one or two platforms and if every game is available everywhere then the platform wars will actually become about the hardware and user interface rather than which company has the most cash to throw at top developers.

I'm not particularly worried. This game isn't going to have a single player mode, correct? In which case I probably won't even get it for PC. But that's me, and what's my opinion worth?

I can see this pushing quite a few Xbones if the game turns out to be on the same sort of level as Halo or Gears of War. It does look like a seriously good game, and one that's going to appeal to American/British audiences in a big way. Just totally not my taste.

Considering I wasn't going to get it in the first place (a multiplayer only game published by 'roulette microtsransaction packs in ME3' EA? Screw that noise!) I don't care about it not appearing on the PS4, but I imagine this news would bum out some.

Your kidding me right? How is this news? Its was announced at E3 that it would be only on the Xbone, 360 and PC. Come on Escapist try a bit harder.

deadish:

Vivi22:

Heh. Just buy the console you want I say.

EA being greedy bastards I'm sure will find some way to wiggle out of the deal if the Xbone bombs. Heck they will probably loophole out of it even if the Xbone does OK. It's more money for them.

They did it with Mass Effect, they can do it again.

The easiest way is to slightly change the name like Capcom did with "Demon Soul" to "Dark Souls". I swear most exclusivity announcements these days are just for PR sake - the only time we will ever get true exclusivity is when the console maker owns the game's studio and the game IP.

worthy to point out that bioware was completely bought out.while titanfall's company was apart of ea's now dead indie/partner program.if the game does well in review's and decent on sales i wager that ms will pull a gears of war type of deal.

So they want it to be the "next big thing", but are not releasing it on one of the major platforms that from a technical standpoint is almost identical to it's competitor.

Seems logical.

Considering that huge games often have more money spent on advertising than actual development, I suspect that Microsoft probably paid for most of that to get the exclusivity deal. After all, they keep using it in their XBone announcements.

Ugh this is stupid. Exclusivity like this really should be made something a company or companies can be punished for as it is totally anti consumer.

And here is where I lament the slow gradual death of single-player games...

This has been confirmed for the longest time.
The rumors have been nothing more than wishful thinking from those who have dedicated to PS4.

It's also funny seeing how people are all like "well I wasn't going to play it anyway", it that was the case then they wouldn't get so angry about it or post stuff about the rumors.

I bet if Titanfall was an exclusive to the PS4 not Xbox One, then people wouldn't be crying foul about anti-consumerism.

So what will be the odds of it getting a hacked release anyway? I mean aren't both the Shitbox and the PS4 just PC's underneath the hood? No unique architecture you have to customize for, if it works on the PC it'll work on the consoles and vice versa right? Perhaps some OS trouble but I doubt that's gonna take long to crack.

So really isn't this just bad PR for EA?

Simalacrum:
Yeah... this is a big deal.

To be honest, Microsoft may have won big time here. If Titanfall turns out to be what Halo and Gears of War were for the original Xbox and Xbox 360... that could result in some serious oomph on their part.

I see your point but think of this: while the original Halo was perhaps the driving force of the original XBOX's relevancy as a console, it accomplished only that: it made the xbox relevant. It did not make the PS2 irrelevant. I think that for all intents and purposes, the original XBOX is still looked at as a financial failure. Didn't MS fail to even break even on it, and instead fell back to the "long term goal" of the XBOX being the "gateway drug" to the 360 & XBOX Live?

Also, the XBOX and 360 were launched under significantly less (X)BONE-headed circumstances. How many countries did the XBOX and 360 launch in? And how much did they cost to pick up? How many countries does the XBONE plan to be launched in by the time titanfall is released? Even if it does turn out to be the "killer app" that halo and/or Gears were, what does it matter if it sells well on a piss poor number of consoles due to lack of availability?

There is just too much working against the XBONE out of the gate for me to think this was a smart move on EA's part. A desperate move on MS' part for sure, but not a smart one on EA's part, I think.

I'm grabbing the PC version as well.

No way I'm going to support the Xbone and since Microsoft payed EA to keep it exclusive to their console & PC and I buy it on PC then I'm actually paying EA and not them which I don't mind at all.

Also, does anyone recall when Hydrophia was touted as an XBLA exclusive?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/hydrophobia-exclusive-to-xbla-playable-at-pax-east/

Then it gets released on the PS3 as "Hydrophobia Prophecy," and described as: "...in a different league compared to the original release."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70827/hydrophobia-prophecy-ps3-releases-november-1st-free-playstation-plus-members

How does that adage go? "He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it?"

I'll wait for the PS4 release of "Titanfall: Prophecy," thanks.

EffectiveKill:

s_h_a_d_o:

Name an example, Senor Fallacy. I'm not saying your wrong but the defense of Microsoft being "But Sony does it too!" relies on having one to hand. So what games have Sony paid huge amounts of money to get made exclusive?

jackpipsam:
This has been confirmed for the longest time.
The rumors have been nothing more than wishful thinking from those who have dedicated to PS4.

It's also funny seeing how people are all like "well I wasn't going to play it anyway", it that was the case then they wouldn't get so angry about it or post stuff about the rumors.

I bet if Titanfall was an exclusive to the PS4 not Xbox One, then people wouldn't be crying foul about anti-consumerism.

I'm genuinely not interested in Titanfall but trying to force in exclusives is something I wish and hope the Game industry can get over. Halo and Gears being exclusive? I see that as an argument for the console since Bungie and Epic were owned by MS, same with inFamous and Killzone, they're owned by Sony so it'd only make sense to be exclusive. EA having Titanfall be an X-Box One exclusive (in the sense its on 360 and PC too) just seems like a really dumb play since it cuts out half (if we're being conservative and ignoring nintendo like we always do) of the market.

If it wasn't for that tweet from Zampella I would've assumed Microsoft funded development and wouldn't have been annoyed by it but since it sounds like a retroactive decision I'm kinda calling BS on it. If Sony paid out Square Enix to make FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 exclusives, I'd call them out on that too (I'd be less annoyed since I have a Sony bias, but still).

Well I called it. There was no way Microsoft was gonna let their killer app slip the net.

tdylan:
Snip.

Two different things mate. One was designed for the 360 and ported, the other is being designed for the Xbone under an exclusivity contract between Microsoft and EA. Also, I would like to propose that you should probably calm down a bit. You seem to be getting a bit too riled up over a piece of software.

Honestly, would you LOOK at the number of quality exclusives ps3 has had lately over the box? At this point all I can do is point at microsoft and LAUGH that they thought they could make demands on me yet offer me so little.

Titanfall is ONE game. Playstation will continue to pump out many, many more quality exclusives. Take that and go to hell microsoft, You messed with this customer for the last time by hurting me in my wallet due to you being so cheap with your POS hardware!!

Atary77:
Oh sure Titanfall might not see the light of day on a PS4, but what about Titanfall 2? C'mon you know that a sequal is going to happen and most likely if the PS4 becomes a successful console? It'll be on there. I'm calling it now.

Saint's Row was a Xbox 360 "exclusive". The rest of the franchise however.....
Just sayin.

I'm getting a GTX660 next month so no skin off my back.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here