Battlefield 4 Teams With Axe For Embarrassing Cross-Promotion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

While I've never paid a great deal of attention to them, I seem to remember that most Axe commercials are pretty damn strange and this seems like one of the more restrained of the lot. That being said, I feel like there's enough of an edge of outright surrealism to it that it actually makes me smile just a little.

It's extremely silly. Not intelligent silly, but not reprehensible silly either. It's there and then it's gone, and for both good and bad I don't think it really says anything more then that.

The commercial makes complete sense if you've seen other Axe commercials. And it's not bad branding. The target demographic for both Axe and Battlefield is the same.

Not seeing what the problem is.

It seems pretty harmless to me. I like how the female soldier does not have a plunging v-neck and manages to keep her hair and skin in great condition, even under fire.

Alfador_VII:
Also that Axe Grenades will incapacitate them?

No, not really. But they are going to smell purrrty.

Anyhow, I use Axe on a day to day basis but thinking of using another brand from here on out. Because this commercial is just silly. I'd rather would watch Terry Crew's Old Spice commercials until I start to question my insanity (more than I usually do) than use a brand that makes me cringe.

Andy Chalk:
but I do find this promotion, and the ad for it, a little off.

You're right.
There are no female characters in Battlefield, that should totally be two guys almost kissing in the video.

I am surprised. Here is a sensably dressed female soldier, and no one mentioned it before now.

OT: Eh, not a huge fan of axe bodyspray, but I do use one of their deodorants because they tend to smell better than the sprays.

Still wont convince me to buy a spray or the shitty game though.

Pah, Axe is horrible stuff. Here in the UK we have real deodorant. Like Lynx.

It really wasn't that bad. It's really no different than the soda pop commercials for gamers.

So, apparently love can bloom on a Battlefield, Otacon.

Andy Chalk:

I've never played Battlefield, and I've never worn Axe. There's no connection between the two, it's entirely coincidental

I disagree. They're both products that fancy themselves the "sophisticated" alternative to their chief competitor (Call of Duty and Tag, respectively).

They're also both things that inspire waves of knee-jerk smugness on the Escapist forums. :P

Fortunately, the woman soldier in the ad wasn't showing much skin, or we'd have 587 sexism threads. Sarkeesian be praised!

RatherDull:

I don't have anything against people who wear Axe, at least not specifically for their choice to wear Axe

I do!

AXE smells like **** and the only reason anyone wears it is if they're a complete tool or a douchebag. Most likely both.

In a way I thank AXE for existing just to serve as an early warning sign that I should have nothing to do with anyone who wears it.

Look, I can understand the offense to the senses, not everyone agrees on what actually smells good due to olfactory differences... but judging someone's personality by the body-spray/deodorant they wear seems to be just a bit prejudicial and close-minded. It'd be one thing to say you avoid them because of the scent, but its just kinda offensive because that automatically puts people like me, who you have no clue who I am nor how my personality is, in a "tool" or "douchebag" class simply because of the fact I might wear AXE from time to time.
Judge people for who they are, not what they wear, like a book for its content not the cover. The other type of attitude seems way more douchebag/tool-ish to me than just wearing a deodorant brand.

Bad move Axe, you've hit the uncanny valley.

If you wanna know how to do a good commercial ask Blizzard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u15HmEMp2Qc
Of course not everything they put out is perfect but they do have a few funny ones.

EDIT:

VanBasten:

Andy Chalk:
but I do find this promotion, and the ad for it, a little off.

You're right.
There are no female characters in Battlefield, that should totally be two guys almost kissing in the video.

Totally! Now that would have been a funny commercial.

My reaction to it would get me a warning for low content.

"lol... oh dear"

Nice to see EA is still able to create awful promotional material.

RatherDull:

I don't have anything against people who wear Axe, at least not specifically for their choice to wear Axe

I do!

AXE smells like **** and the only reason anyone wears it is if they're a complete tool or a douchebag. Most likely both.

In a way I thank AXE for existing just to serve as an early warning sign that I should have nothing to do with anyone who wears it.

Axe should be followed up with mace

OT: You're now my favorite writer here, Andy, but i have to ask; how much did ubisoft pay you for your forum title?

I'm trying to think of a scenario where a soldier would want to put on Axe in an attempt to woo ladies just before he is deployed.

I mean, a soldier wouldn't want to use a spray of "fragrance" (I refuse to call Axe "deodorant"), they would want to use a proper antiperspirant like what Rexona or Old Spice produce.

But I guess if you're stupid enough for this ad to work for you then you're stupid enough to consider using Axe.

So, I'm guessing Axe is basically Lynx by another name (or Lynx is Axe by another name maybe, I don't know)? If so, this isn't really that different from many other ads for this particular product, though this one isn't very good.

The "Nothing beats an astronaut. Ever" ads were alright, I thought.

These comments are kind of an over reaction don't you think. I mean it's an utterly harmless commercial that is honestly more tame than the regular Axe commercials.

Welp me may call it Lynx over here but I can't help but think of this.

Next time a war breaks out be sure to bring your axes guys. And no, not the battle axes, the spray.

Deshara:
Look, I can understand the offense to the senses, not everyone agrees on what actually smells good due to olfactory differences... but judging someone's personality by the body-spray/deodorant they wear seems to be just a bit prejudicial and close-minded. It'd be one thing to say you avoid them because of the scent, but its just kinda offensive because that automatically puts people like me, who you have no clue who I am nor how my personality is, in a "tool" or "douchebag" class simply because of the fact I might wear AXE from time to time.
Judge people for who they are, not what they wear, like a book for its content not the cover. The other type of attitude seems way more douchebag/tool-ish to me than just wearing a deodorant brand.

The entire marketing for AXE is horribly offensive and it is specifically made for people who I want to avoid.

AXE smells awful so I can't think of another reason to wear it.

RatherDull:

Deshara:

The entire marketing for AXE is horribly offensive and it is specifically made for people who I want to avoid.

Yeah... it's pretty bad. Every Axe commercial I've seen is more or less "Wear Axe, get laid."

Who does that appeal to? Who would want to wear Axe after seeing a commercial like that? I personally don't enjoy being painted as some sex-crazed man child, so I avoid Axe. Plus, I think it smells like shit. Although, I think all body sprays smell bad.

This commercial makes fun of Axe, and it never ceases to crack me up.

Gotta love the bitter irony of the "Rated M For Mature" voice over at the end.

I think this add campaign goes a long way in explaining why EA has made so many bad decisions over the years, they think their customer base is exclusively made up of lonely desperate fucktards that will buy into any kind of cockamamie gimmick.

vansau:
First they shut down Command & Conquer, now this.

Banner week you're having, EA. Banner week.

To be fair though, that C&C thing wasn't looking so hot anyways. God I miss Westwood Command and Conquer games :'(

My parents gave me a can of axe as a stocking stuffer one Christmas, and I have to say, the cylindrical shape of the can made for a great trebuchet projectile.

So let me get this straight. Modern tanks are equipped with armor that can shrug off machine gun fire and explosives, and the smell of Axe Body spray can still penetrate?

And someone thought that was a recommendation?

amaranth_dru:

RatherDull:

I do!

I feel you, I also wear axe from time to time because my girlfriend buys it. Ironically, I know a few girls who buy it for men they know or are with. The thing about nerd culture is that the community generally seems to hate anything associated with the popular crowd. I guess some people were mentally damaged beyond repair during their high school years by a few guys wearing axe. Eh, like most in this thread, I really have nothing of value to add here aside from: Sweet, free battlefield shit from shit I already get.

Psychobabble:
Gotta love the bitter irony of the "Rated M For Mature" voice over at the end.

I think this add campaign goes a long way in explaining why EA has made so many bad decisions over the years, they think their customer base is exclusively made up of lonely desperate fucktards that will buy into any kind of cockamamie gimmick.

One has to ask if it's a sound business plan for the future. I mean, what happens when the fucktards parents cut them off? Battlefield 5 might see its consume base halved by financial constraints alone.

Callate:
So let me get this straight. Modern tanks are equipped with armor that can shrug off machine gun fire and explosives, and the smell of Axe Body spray can still penetrate?

And someone thought that was a recommendation?

I used to live with a guy who thought spraying on Lynx was a good substitute for a shower. Trust me, if I can smell it through his sheets and walls a tank is entirely within the realm of probability.

Even if that explains why she got out of the tank... why did HE get out of the tank? What was she using that smelled so strong to entice him?

yundex:
I feel you, I also wear axe from time to time because my girlfriend buys it. Ironically, I know a few girls who buy it for men they know or are with. The thing about nerd culture is that the community generally seems to hate anything associated with the popular crowd. I guess some people were mentally damaged beyond repair during their high school years by a few guys wearing axe. Eh, like most in this thread, I really have nothing of value to add here aside from: Sweet, free battlefield shit from shit I already get.

That's funny, because I always thought Axe was associated with people who wished they were popular. I mean, that seems to be the crowd the commercials target, what with the whole "Use this bodyspray (that smells like ass) -> become chick magnet."

Admittedly, and as I said before, I think all bodysprays (that I've smelled) smell awful. Or maybe I just naturally smell great. I'd like to think that's what it is. It's not the scent that bothers me, though. Or rather, in addition to the scent, I am also bothered by the commercials; they're just so fucking childish. I mean, they don't even come off as joking, like the Old Spice commercials. "Wear this and you'll turn into a ripped, eagle cowboy" or whatever. I haven't seen an Old Spice commercial in awhile.

Axe commercials are just stupid, man. I'd really have nothing against Axe if it weren't for those awful ads.

The commercial seemed fine. Yeah the animation wasn't top notch, but they made it obvious it was an in game machinima type thing, so to me it looked normal. The only negative aspect I can detect is the potential of someone getting 9/11 vibes from the collapsing tower, but no one really brought that up that I can see so I don't think it's much of a problem.

BarbaricGoose:

yundex:

That's funny, because I always thought Axe was associated with people who wished they were popular. I mean, that seems to be the crowd the commercials target, what with the whole "Use this bodyspray (that smells like ass) -> become chick magnet."

Admittedly, and as I said before, I think all bodysprays (that I've smelled) smell awful. Or maybe I just naturally smell great. I'd like to think that's what it is. It's not the scent that bothers me, though. Or rather, in addition to the scent, I am also bothered by the commercials; they're just so fucking childish. I mean, they don't even come off as joking, like the Old Spice commercials. "Wear this and you'll turn into a ripped, eagle cowboy" or whatever. I haven't seen an Old Spice commercial in awhile.

Axe commercials are just stupid, man. I'd really have nothing against Axe if it weren't for those awful ads.

I honestly don't watch much TV at all, let alone commercials. That axe commercial does suck though, haha. I'm also with you on the bodyspray usage, maybe she thinks I reek of beer and leather.

Eh, just thought it was hilariously bad. But still amusing.

Can't say I see much of a problem.

Not a fan of EA, Battlefield or any MMSs for that matter. But I thought that was a clever ad and must admit quite liked it. The Lynx Effect (because that is what it's called here) is powerful enough to bring women to a halt even amidst the chaos and carnage of a battlefield. Good ad.

Mr.Pandah:
Cool to hate. So cool to hate.

Literally see nothing wrong with this ad, guess I'm just weird.

I agree, it isnt a good commercial but it isnt any worse then most commercials

ThatDarnCoyote:
So, apparently love can bloom on a Battlefield, Otacon.

He should've worn AXE. Then Sniper Wolf would've been all over him, just like in his Japanese animes.

OT: I don't really see the big deal. It's a big dumb commercial. Nothing to punch a dog over.

RatherDull:

Deshara:

That... Wasn't me o.O Did you write that quote tag out by hand or something?

BarbaricGoose:

RatherDull:

Deshara:

Yeah... it's pretty bad. Every Axe commercial I've seen is more or less "Wear Axe, get laid."

Who does that appeal to? Who would want to wear Axe after seeing a commercial like that? I personally don't enjoy being painted as some sex-crazed man child, so I avoid Axe. Plus, I think it smells like shit. Although, I think all body sprays smell bad.

This commercial makes fun of Axe, and it never ceases to crack me up.

This AXE commercial made me shout "WHAT THE FUCK" to my TV. I am offended that they even allowed this sexist bullshit on TV.

You know how it's a common complaint that some women in TV, movies, video games, etc are just a pair of breasts? This commercial did it literally.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here